Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The update today was great. Loved the home sharing and now when you sync it brings up what each page looks like so you can easily order your apps without so much hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Before today, the 16Gb Touch was retailing for $299, wasn't it?

Although it seems odd at first that they dropped the 16Gb model, working under the assumption that they wanted to introduce a 64Gb model what else would you rather they did?

Having four models of Touch seems like overkill to me. Heck, three is even pushing it, but I can understand the thinking behind "budget", "mainstream", and "gotta have the best no matter what price premium I have to pay" models.

The lineup should've been:

16GB - $199
32GB - $299
64GB - $399

If Microsoft can sell a 16GB Zune HD for $219, I don't know what the gently caress Apple is thinking trying to sell the old 8GB touch for $199. They're trying to push touch buyers toward the $299 32GB model by effectively making the $199 8GB model a lovely deal.

Of course, anyone can buy a refurbished 16GB touch for $199, but you're going to miss out on the updated CPU, graphics and RAM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

toxick posted:

16GB - $199
32GB - $299
64GB - $399

If Microsoft can sell a 16GB Zune HD for $219, I don't know what the gently caress Apple is thinking trying to sell the old 8GB touch for $199.

They are thinking "Goddamn it, we didn't want to have to drop the price of the 32gb Touch to match the 32gb iPhone."

Apple is in this constant balancing act to encourage iPhone purchase over iPod Touch purchase and having BOTH the 16gb and 32gb Touch models match the price of the same capacity iPhones is something they will not do. I'm willing to bet that the 32gb wasn't supposed to drop as much as it did and it was a last minute reactionary change to close the gap between it and the $289 32gb Zune HD.

The 8gb was likely always meant to be $199, but it probably would have been billed as a great new low cost entry into the Touch world with the 32gb being slightly north of the old 16gb price level. That way they could spin a dramatic price cut in the Touch line while padding the margins.

They simply can't sell the 8gb for less than $199 for risk of cannibalizing iPhone sales.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It took iTunes 9 literally four hours to back up my 16GB Touch after installing 3.1. I have a couple of gigs worth of comics in ComicZeal, but still. This is ridiculous. Hopefully this is the only time it will take this long.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

toxick posted:

16GB - $199
32GB - $299
64GB - $399
Oh, I see. I can't really see them dropping the price of the 16Gb model from $299 to $199, though -- which is the entry point they were looking for.

quote:

If Microsoft can sell a 16GB Zune HD for $219, I don't know what the gently caress Apple is thinking trying to sell the old 8GB touch for $199.
Eh, they'll still sell a bunch of 8 Gb models. And to be honest, I don't think Apple is worrying about comparisons to Zunes -- they seem to be pushing the Touch as an App Machine, and not so much a music player.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

It took iTunes 9 literally four hours to back up my 16GB Touch after installing 3.1. I have a couple of gigs worth of comics in ComicZeal, but still. This is ridiculous. Hopefully this is the only time it will take this long.

Had to have been that. I have a 32GB 2G with 2GB apps, 3GB video and 23GB music and it probably only took 5-7 minutes.

Also, you can hit that little "x" next to the music player(where it tells you if it's updating/syncing/backing up/) and it will skip the backing up part. I've had my Touch get hung up on backing up once or twice and figured out that just skips the part for me and it goes about its business.

But yes, that should be the only time it takes that long. I remember waiting that long after upgrading to 3.0(the only other firmware upgrade I've done since I got my Touch). Must be something about the initial backup.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

toxick posted:

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but doesn't it seem a little sleazy for Apple to drop the 8GB touch's price by $30, and eliminate the 16GB touch entirely to force people who need more than 8GB (or who want the updated CPU) to buy the $299 32GB?

The 16GB touch has been the best selling touch model since its initial release, and Apple went and got rid of it and are now trying to sell last year's 8GB touch for $30 less.

This whole update is a slap in the face to touch owners (and potential new touch owners).

What? How is this a slap in the face? First of all, anyone buying any type of tech device has to know that early adopters face the high probability of price drops and better hardware coming out later. And with an iPod, you can almost expect a yearly update.

If anything, I feel glad that I got my iPod Touch 2G when I did because nothing that bigger and better came out this year. And if I waited, patience would have gotten me an extra 16GB.

The 32GB model at the same price as last years 16GB model is great for those who waited to get an iPod touch. And if the features are not enough to justify it, Apple is selling 2nd gen 16GB touches for $250 right now and a refurbed 16GB Touch for $200, and you know that there won't be an update for at least another year.

bull3964 posted:

They are thinking "Goddamn it, we didn't want to have to drop the price of the 32gb Touch to match the 32gb iPhone."

That's still the subsidized price of the iPhone though... to buy it without a contract is much more money. You're signing a contact that will cost you $1,700 over two years for that price point.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Anyone have insight into a release date for these new models? This might be my first iPod in six years and I'm kind of excited about it. :3:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Astro7x posted:

That's still the subsidized price of the iPhone though... to buy it without a contract is much more money. You're signing a contact that will cost you $1,700 over two years for that price point.

Exactly my point. Apple gets a cut of that subsidy. So here you have a Touch model with the same storage and same speed capabilities at the same price as the subsidized iPhone. They make far less money on the Touch, but the only incentive to buy the iPhone instead of the Touch are convergence and the camera and you then get saddled with a contract.

It is important for Apple to keep the touch as a less desirable device than the iPhone since they make so much more money on the iPhone. Ideally, they only want people who would never switch to AT&T to buy a Touch. They want everyone else to jump on AT&T and buy an iPhone. The iPhone is also a higher turnover device as better network capabilities and incentives from re-upping contracts entice people to replace the thing every 20 months.

When LTE gets wide rollout and the iPhone can be used on everyone except sprint, I'm betting that the Touch will be completely phased out.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 10, 2009

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

For those of you who went from the 2.1 firmware to 3.0 and noticed performance drops and other similar issues, if you're upgrading to 3.1 can you let us know how the update affects those issues?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Despite my disappointment at the phasing out of the 16GB model and the lack of camera or internal mic on the new models, I went ahead and ordered a 32GB touch. I've been too interested in some of the music apps like Beatmaker, Noise.io and Jasuto to simply not get one. I ended up paying $70 more than I had anticipated, but the next best thing would've been a refurbished 16GB for $199 lacking the new CPU and RAM.

And judging from Jobs' comment here regarding the marketing of the touch, it seems increasingly doubtful that the touch will get a camera or internal mic before next year's iPod event, if ever.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Anyone have insight into a release date for these new models? This might be my first iPod in six years and I'm kind of excited about it. :3:

They're available right now on Apple's online store.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Right after I finished updating I realized that there is no jailbreak for 3.1. Does anyone have any news on a working jailbreak?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Users on other forums are reporting that stores in LA and other major CA cities don't have them and aren't giving any information about when they'll be available. If they're not available in major cities like LA I doubt they're available anywhere except the online store right now. I'm still going to wait and pick one up locally though. I'd be surprised if stores didn't have them by the weekend and ordering from Apple's online store won't get one to me that quickly.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Protip posted:

For those of you who went from the 2.1 firmware to 3.0 and noticed performance drops and other similar issues, if you're upgrading to 3.1 can you let us know how the update affects those issues?

My wifi seems a little better, with 3.0 I had rarely more than 1 bar even when I was standing next to my router, today I've had 2 a fair amount of the time. Youtube is timing out less too. At least that's my one day impression
Of course 2.1 was still better for me (I would have 2-3 on the other side of the house) but it seems to be a little more reasonable now. Youtube's no longer completly useless

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 10, 2009

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how do you do the App Genius thing? Can't seem to figure it out...

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Astro7x posted:

So how do you do the App Genius thing? Can't seem to figure it out...

In the iPod go to the App Store, Featured, and then the Genius tab

Although so far the advice is pretty useless. Got Dictionary.com?? Get the Xbox Achievement Guide!!

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
I'm going to be buying an 8gb iPod as a gift. Is there ANY hardware difference between second and third generation? I know the new one will have 3.1 on it, but I can't find anything else interesting about it.

Hmm.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Local Yokel posted:

I'm going to be buying an 8gb iPod as a gift. Is there ANY hardware difference between second and third generation? I know the new one will have 3.1 on it, but I can't find anything else interesting about it.

Hmm.

There's no other difference. They're the same 8GB models that you've been able to buy for the past year, just $30 cheaper. They shouldn't even be referred to as "3rd generation" because the only 3rd gen touches are the 32GB and 64GB models.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

toxick posted:

There's no other difference. They're the same 8GB models that you've been able to buy for the past year, just $30 cheaper. They shouldn't even be referred to as "3rd generation" because the only 3rd gen touches are the 32GB and 64GB models.

So... the old 8GBs being $10 cheaper is mainly because it doesn't come with the 3.0 software then. Interesting... I never really took that software upgrade into consideration with the 2G Touches going on sale for cheap.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Posting from my new 32GB touch. Never owned one before. Typing takes some getting used to. Also Mobile Safari seems to hate SA's link anchors :(

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
http://gizmodo.com/5357667/new-ipod-touch-teardown-reveals-80211n-support-fm-transmission

Interesting.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

toxick posted:

Posting from my new 32GB touch. Never owned one before. Typing takes some getting used to. Also Mobile Safari seems to hate SA's link anchors :(

Do you notice an improvement with gaming? If you play any 3d games.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Kin Corn Karn posted:

Do you notice an improvement with gaming? If you play any 3d games.

I haven't played any games yet, and even if I did I probably couldn't tell you how much better the performance is since I've never played any games on the previous touch. There are a few games I want to get, but they're mostly shmups that don't look all that graphically intensive. Any games in particular you're wondering about? That Doom game looks pretty crazy, and the Nova game they showed at the iPod event looked good too. I'm putting off buying games since I dropped $35 today just on BeatMaker and Noise.io :aaa:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

toxick posted:

I haven't played any games yet, and even if I did I probably couldn't tell you how much better the performance is since I've never played any games on the previous touch. There are a few games I want to get, but they're mostly shmups that don't look all that graphically intensive. Any games in particular you're wondering about? That Doom game looks pretty crazy, and the Nova game they showed at the iPod event looked good too. I'm putting off buying games since I dropped $35 today just on BeatMaker and Noise.io :aaa:

Try the Katamari game. I heard that had some major slowdowns as the level size was changing.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I'd really refrain from buying the new Touches in case Apple doesn't turn on new features. Let's see, a chipset that does N wireless and FM transmission would make you hope it would just need Apple's say so. They did it before with Bluetooth. But call me paranoid, it would be a Hell of a way to justify the hypothetical Touch with a camera "Hey it also does Wireless N and lets you do a new version of Nike integration! Give us your moneys!" Nah, Apple wouldn't stick a finger like that at 32 and 64 gig Gen 2.5 iPod users.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
So we still can't disable coverflow?

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Has anyone else with 3.1 noticed any chugging while scrolling through the list of podcasts? Not coverflow, the normal one. It does not happen for me in any other screen (Albums, Artists, etc), just Podcasts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

AnimalChin posted:

So we still can't disable coverflow?

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Jailbreak your device, install sbsettings and then install the rotation switch. I keep rotation off all the time and then turn it on when/if I need it (game, safari, etc).

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

toxick posted:

I'm putting off buying games since I dropped $35 today just on BeatMaker and Noise.io :aaa:

I have both and they are worth every penny. The integration between the two apps is great.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

xamphear posted:

Jailbreak your device, install sbsettings and then install the rotation switch. I keep rotation off all the time and then turn it on when/if I need it (game, safari, etc).

On this note: there does not appear to be a Jailbreak method for the 3.1 OS yet.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

disco_stu posted:

I have both and they are worth every penny. The integration between the two apps is great.

Yeah it's great that Amidio and Intua cooperated to make these apps compliment each other. They're both amazing considering the hardware limitations and low prices (compared to desktop software).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Has anyone run into problems with the 3rd generation Touches? I got my 64gb today and the screen has a bad spot that isn't responsive. On the keyboard it's "ZXCVBNM", and even when trying it with the Maps app that spot can move the keyboard up and down but not left or right. I'm really hoping I didn't drop this much money on something my fingers are too big for.

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Has anyone run into problems with the 3rd generation Touches? I got my 64gb today and the screen has a bad spot that isn't responsive. On the keyboard it's "ZXCVBNM", and even when trying it with the Maps app that spot can move the keyboard up and down but not left or right. I'm really hoping I didn't drop this much money on something my fingers are too big for.

That's definitely not supposed to happen. You might want to bring it back and get a replacement.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Iced posted:

That's definitely not supposed to happen. You might want to bring it back and get a replacement.

Yep, took it back today, showed them, and they gave me a new one. Now that it works I'm a lot more impressed. Just need to figure out some free and cheap apps to put on there.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I splurged today and picked up a 32GB iPod Touch! I can't wait to set it up and start playing around with it :3:

Oh yeah, and was anyone else weirded out that they knew what e-mail to send your receipt to based on your credit card information? :aaa:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Karthe posted:

I splurged today and picked up a 32GB iPod Touch! I can't wait to set it up and start playing around with it :3:

Oh yeah, and was anyone else weirded out that they knew what e-mail to send your receipt to based on your credit card information? :aaa:

Not really. It wasn't the first time a company sent me an email through my credit card like that.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

toxick posted:

actually i just saw a youtube video someone made. he ran some games like peggle, and the time it took to open the app, and load games was noticeably faster. at least from my point of view having been using a 1g, not a 2g.

the only game i had where the performance was bad enough to hurt the experience is with Zynga live poker, playing at 9 player tables. im curious to see if its going to run better. i'll find out tomorrow when i get mine.

dumb question, but can you use skype, or other voip apps with the 3g touch?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kin Corn Karn posted:

dumb question, but can you use skype, or other voip apps with the 3g touch?

Since you can do voip with the 2g touch I assume it works with the 3g as well.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Super Dude posted:

Since you can do voip with the 2g touch I assume it works with the 3g as well.

Is the mini jack plug both input and output? If yes (or no) what's the trick, what hardware do I need to make calls from my ipod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Is the mini jack plug both input and output? If yes (or no) what's the trick, what hardware do I need to make calls from my ipod?

Yes it is. The new touch models come with earbuds that have a mic attached (like the shuffle). Third party companies also make mics you can plug directly into the touch or your existing headphones.

• Locked thread