Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

so has this been posted here yet?

because uh

He's really not playing anything all too complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

He's really not playing anything all too complicated.

you didn't watch more than the first five seconds or so did you

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

you didn't watch more than the first five seconds or so did you

Sadly, I watched the whole thing. Maybe there's something I'm not hearing, the backing track is kind of loud.

It's good, just not what I'd call "sick."

Edit: I mean, HE is sick as in disgusting, but the playing is not.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 18, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
the playing isn't really the point

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I like how you can see his nipples through that nightgown.

oh poo poo now hes wearing the black swimsuit... why

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
God bless the internet

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ugh, in a fit of overconfidence, I decided to take a look at learning Rancid's "Maxwell Murder". gently caress me, I can't even make sense of the tabs in relation to hearing the song for some reason. gently caress.

EDIT: Thank god for youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCq9GLqgZBA made it much easier to understand. I don't know if I will be able to handle the solo anytime soon, but it actually doesn't look as hard as it sounds. I'm not used to using a pick but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice on this one. It's quite a bit faster than most of the other stuff I've learned so far. Also, the tabs I'm using look fine except for the solo, something is missing I think. It's like it's been mad simplified or something:

quote:

(0.59) – Solo
G¦-5---5---5---5---5-------------------------------
D¦---7---7---7---7---7-6-5---5-6-7-5---------------
A¦-------------------------8---------8-7-6-5-------
E¦-------------------------------------------8-6-5-

G¦-------------5-6-7-6-5-4-------------------------------------
D¦-------5-6-7-------------7-6-5-4-5-3-------3-----------------
A¦-5-5-8-------------------------------5-3-5---5-3-------3-4-5-
E¦-------------------------------------------------5---5-------

G¦------------------------------15---------15-------
D¦-12-12-12-11-10---15-15-15-17---17-15-17---17-12--
A¦--------------------------------------------------
E¦--------------------------------------------------

G¦-------------19-18-17-16-15-14-12-10-9-8-7---------
D¦-11-11-12-12-------------------------------5-5-6-6-
A¦---------------------------------------------------------------
E¦---------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I knew how to learn from ear. Just not experienced enough yet.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2009

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've been playing guitar almost all of my life, and am looking to get a bass for the first time. I'd doodled on lots of basses, but never owned one.

I saw the recommended beginner basses on the front page, but personally I'm really in love with the look / feel (body weight) of Hofner basses. They have one model that's usually $350 retail. Would anyone here recommend getting a Hofner to start? Or is that a bad idea all around?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Never tried 'em myself, but Rondo music carries a few decently priced Hofner imitations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

polo-rican posted:

I've been playing guitar almost all of my life, and am looking to get a bass for the first time. I'd doodled on lots of basses, but never owned one.

I saw the recommended beginner basses on the front page, but personally I'm really in love with the look / feel (body weight) of Hofner basses. They have one model that's usually $350 retail. Would anyone here recommend getting a Hofner to start? Or is that a bad idea all around?

I've never owned one but I've played a few in music stores. Just keep in mind that it's a short-scale bass. Also, I found the string spacing to be a bit narrow for my tastes, but that's subjective.

They're not exactly versatile, but they can produce a pretty cool tone if you're into the vintage vibe.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Scarf posted:

Just keep in mind that it's a short-scale bass.

I understand what this means - shorter neck - but what exactly are the pros and/or cons besides higher action (to avoid string buzz)?

VVVVVVVVVV
Aha, thanks.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 19, 2009

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Just a page back

Scarf posted:

Scale length is the distance between the Nut and the Bridge on a bass (or guitar for that matter). Standard scale length is 34" on a bass, and short scale is usually 30.5". Short scale basses are usually a bit easier to play for people with smaller hands. Also, due to shorter and usually less-tense strings, they have a more rounded sound on the upper register. But along the same lines, they are usually muddier on the low-end.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

polo-rican posted:

I understand what this means - shorter neck - but what exactly are the pros and/or cons besides higher action (to avoid string buzz)?

That's a misconception, and string buzz is mostly a result of neck-relief. Different concept from string height. If you get short-scale strings at a decent gauge, you won't have to worry about clacks or buzzes or what have you.

Short-scale basses have a more mellow, rounded sound to them. Particularly in the upper register. Ed Friedland explains and kind of demonstrates in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSUjhcJaPo

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 19, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What kind of effects, if any, is everyone running? Just curious.

Here's my current setup. Soon adding a bypass loop switcher. I also need a roadcase-board.

From right to left:
EHX Micro POG (octave)
EHX Enigma:Qballs (envelope)
BOSS LMB-3 (limiter)
BOSS SYB-3 (synth)
Tech 21 VT Bass (warmth/overdrive)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 20, 2009

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The pedals I usually use for bass are:

Boss TU-2
Tech 21 VT Bass
Tronographic Rusty Box
EH Big Muff Pi Russian

The tuner is always hooked up at rehearsals/gigs.

The Rusty Box is my favorite pedal, but it makes a very specific sound (think Jesus Lizard, recent Mission of Burma) that doesn't fit with my current group so it doesn't get much use these days. :(

The VT Bass is in a similar situation, but its less pronounced so I can use it for some slightly overdriven sounds. Gets used maybe 25% of the time.

I just got the Big Muff because I wanted a straight up distortion sound, but when its bypassed it chokes the high end too much for me to keep in the signal chain. I'm gonna try modding it for true bypass soon, which I should make a thread about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

The pedals I usually use for bass are:

Boss TU-2
Tech 21 VT Bass
Tronographic Rusty Box
EH Big Muff Pi Russian

The tuner is always hooked up at rehearsals/gigs.

The Rusty Box is my favorite pedal, but it makes a very specific sound (think Jesus Lizard, recent Mission of Burma) that doesn't fit with my current group so it doesn't get much use these days. :(

The VT Bass is in a similar situation, but its less pronounced so I can use it for some slightly overdriven sounds. Gets used maybe 25% of the time.

I just got the Big Muff because I wanted a straight up distortion sound, but when its bypassed it chokes the high end too much for me to keep in the signal chain. I'm gonna try modding it for true bypass soon, which I should make a thread about.

VT is an always-on effect for me. I love it just on the verge of breakup. Haha and my settings look almost identical except that the Drive is at about 10oclock.

Also, you should take a look at the EHX Bass Big Muff. Has a dry-blend mode that sounds fantastic. Doesn't suck out the low end.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

Also, you should take a look at the EHX Bass Big Muff. Has a dry-blend mode that sounds fantastic. Doesn't suck out the low end.
I'm not really a fan of blended modes, they always seem to just add a layer of fizz on top of the original signal. With something like the Big Muff, I'd want just all-out distortion. I do lose some low end with it though, and depending on how the true bypass mod goes, there's an additional one I could do help bring some low end back.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

this and nothing else.

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Ugh, in a fit of overconfidence, I decided to take a look at learning Rancid's "Maxwell Murder". gently caress me, I can't even make sense of the tabs in relation to hearing the song for some reason. gently caress.

EDIT: Thank god for youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCq9GLqgZBA made it much easier to understand. I don't know if I will be able to handle the solo anytime soon, but it actually doesn't look as hard as it sounds. I'm not used to using a pick but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice on this one. It's quite a bit faster than most of the other stuff I've learned so far. Also, the tabs I'm using look fine except for the solo, something is missing I think. It's like it's been mad simplified or something:

I wish I knew how to learn from ear. Just not experienced enough yet.

I think that's a really bad and simplified tab, I tried learning it a few months ago and it looked nothing like that.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Major Burns posted:

I think that's a really bad and simplified tab, I tried learning it a few months ago and it looked nothing like that.

Yeah it's really bugging me and I haven't been able to find a better version anywhere. It sucks because I have everything down pat (somehow) except for the solo.

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

This is the one I was using, good luck.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Thanks, time to punish my hands, wrists, and willpower.

EDIT: Where can I get that powertab? I signed up for powertabs.net and I'm still not seeing any download links.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 22, 2009

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Thanks, time to punish my hands, wrists, and willpower.

EDIT: Where can I get that powertab? I signed up for powertabs.net and I'm still not seeing any download links.

It's a guitar pro tab from ultimate-guitar.com

FoppSomms
Oct 9, 2007

DrChu posted:

Tronographic Rusty Box

I've wanted a Rusty Box for so long! Got a VT Bass, Enigma, and Pitchblack tuner on the way, so can't really justify another pedal at the moment, especially not a pre-amp pedal seeing as I use an MXR M80 for that purpose at the moment. Going to use it purely as a DI box once the VT arrives.

I've also got a Little Bug Muff (got it before the Bass Muff) and an MXR Blowtorch, but I've never really found an appropriate place to use the blowtorch.

I really should be spending money on a new amp to replace my aging Peavey Mark III, but I get the pedal and recording gear/software lust and can't help myself.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I just watched Robert Rodriguez' Plant Terror and realized I've never really been able to emulate the rock "thunk" bass as in the intro song on the soundtrack (as I mostly play really clean jazz). What effects or settings on an amp would be applicable for it as I only have a VT Bass and Tech21 XXL Bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

got dat wmd posted:

I just watched Robert Rodriguez' Plant Terror and realized I've never really been able to emulate the rock "thunk" bass as in the intro song on the soundtrack (as I mostly play really clean jazz). What effects or settings on an amp would be applicable for it as I only have a VT Bass and Tech21 XXL Bass.

If you're referring to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsBbZ2PStIo

For the VT, I'd do:

Level: Unity
Low: 130-2oclock
Mid: 1oclock
High: 10-11oclock
Character: Between 10-11oclock
Drive: To taste (But prob around 11oclock to noon)

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

The only effects I like to run is a volume pedal into a fulltone bassdrive in mosfet mode.

I use the overdrive a lot to give my sound a a more full, kinda compressed overdriven sound and the boost to give it some good grindy distortion. Got it running at 18V, which I find gives it a bit more headroom and a nicer overdrive.

I run my jaguar, precision and more recently an ibanez agb-200 semi-hollow through this setup. FYI neck pup on that + lots of overdrive is really, really fun. Think of the sound as off of the Queens of the Stone Age live album, Over the Hills.

Tried to take a picture today at band practice but my memory card seems to have corrupted, but I doubt anyone is hurting to see my pedals sitting on a rug.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jan posted:

Never tried 'em myself, but Rondo music carries a few decently priced Hofner imitations.

I've got one of the Rondo violin basses, and while I love the shape of it to death, from a playing perspective I rather wish I'd sprung the extra couple hundred for the Hofner.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For those of you in the market, Musicians Friend Fender Friday deal is a Geddy Lee jazz bass with a Fender B-DEC amp for $799. It's a pretty solid bass and not a bad deal at all. You must call in for this deal and it is today only, or until stock is depleted.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
More along the lines of intermediate-to-advanced type of advice/theory, but figured it's worth discussing here since we're kind of touching on a bit of everything:

As I've said before (well, as Chris Wood has said, and I constantly repeat), the bass is a drum. If you've got a 4-string bass with 22-frets, you've essentially got an 88-piece drumkit (strings x frets). You're (at least you should be) so closely tied into the drummer, it's really ridiculous to think of it as a bass-guitar, and not a stringed-drum.

Anyway, we all know that you need to listen to what your drummer is doing on the kick, the hat, and the snare, and sync up the fills accordingly. But once you've done that, you need to listen to what your drummer is NOT PLAYING. You need to learn to work not only WITH the beat, but learn to work AROUND the beat.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjXmbSBTD4

Listen as Marcus Miller comes in at about 0:23. He's right on with the Kick on the 1, but then syncopates VERY nicely in a little "hole" that the drummer has left.

The easiest way to do this, at least for me, is to listen to your drummer and think about what YOU would play if YOU were on the kit. Then you find a way to emulate that with your bass. Start with just doing ghost-notes before you pick which actual notes you want to play. Once you have the rhythm down of what you want to do, you can start figuring out which notes to play.

This is why I recommend looking up rudimentary drum/snare cadences and trying to emulate them on the bass.

Anyway, this sort of stuff has been very useful for me, YMMV.

golden
Jul 28, 2006
Huge NOOB question, but this one has me confused

The tone knob - Can someone explain it to me? Comparing two basses, the Fender Precision and the Gibson Grabber, I noticed that the Fender tone knob did what I thought it would. Full, I had a clear, defined tone. All the way down, it sounded like I was playing through a blanket. With the grabber, full gives it a very trebley, guitar-like tone. Crank the tone knob the other way, and.. same tone, but way bassier - still just as clear. I'm not getting it!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

golden posted:

Huge NOOB question, but this one has me confused

The tone knob - Can someone explain it to me? Comparing two basses, the Fender Precision and the Gibson Grabber, I noticed that the Fender tone knob did what I thought it would. Full, I had a clear, defined tone. All the way down, it sounded like I was playing through a blanket. With the grabber, full gives it a very trebley, guitar-like tone. Crank the tone knob the other way, and.. same tone, but way bassier - still just as clear. I'm not getting it!

I think in most cases it's pretty much just a high-pass knob. Between the fender and the Gibson... It may be a difference of how they are wired and the pots used. That's interesting though, I'd like to hear it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Reminds me of the time I rented a Musicman Stingray...once I started turning knobs, I couldn't get the sound back to where I wanted. Curse them and their fancy pots!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Reminds me of the time I rented a Musicman Stingray...once I started turning knobs, I couldn't get the sound back to where I wanted. Curse them and their fancy pots!

Well that's just because they're active

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Seventh Arrow posted:

I just traded my 55-02 for a Stingray 4 on a whim - let's see if I'm ecstatic or full of regret come Friday

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

pantsfish posted:

Got the first half of that suggestion done - now to work on the second half...

One final request: Can anyone name some more melodic stuff to practice as well? My vocabulary is kind of lacking but I'm looking for stuff like Andy Rourke did for the Smiths - lots of harmonizing and longer lines that could cover a whole section of the song without repetition. I'm probably doing too much of a shotgun approach here but I want to make sure all my bases are covered as it pertains to chart songs vs. riff songs.

Listen to the album Marquee Moon by Television. They're more known for their guitar melodies but the bass is really melodic and easy to hear.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I posted in here ages ago looking to get a bass, but ran into money problems again and didn't get to pick one up. I'm fine now, so I'm going back into it.

I found http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-MB4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515227 on craigslist for pretty cheap, aside from the awful skull design, how do you guys think it looks? If it's rear end, I'm just going to go with the GSR200.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RoryGilmore posted:

I posted in here ages ago looking to get a bass, but ran into money problems again and didn't get to pick one up. I'm fine now, so I'm going back into it.

I found http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-MB4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515227 on craigslist for pretty cheap, aside from the awful skull design, how do you guys think it looks? If it's rear end, I'm just going to go with the GSR200.

Unless it's a Vintage Modified or Classic Series, I'd stay away from Squier. They've yet to prove themselves in their other lines in my opinion. Get the GSR or save another $100 and get a Squier VM or CS.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

You could always get this if you want to move the skull and crossbones to the headstock.

http://www.rondomusic.com/pbg2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

RoryGilmore posted:

Your idea of the GSR200 is a solid one, and Scarf is right on the money; if it's a Squier, it had better be either 20 years old or a vintage modified.