Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm so torn about grabbing the M&M pack. On one hand I've always wanted to get into the series. On the other hand I'm almost sure I don't have the proper amount of patience to put up with it, even with clue books and maps downloadable from GoG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
The new Gem of the Week is Simon the Sorcerer. It's a gem alright. I like 2 better (and anything upward is just horrible), but this isn't a bad game in any way.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's another program for Mac Gaming, CrossOver. I only tried the demo (it costs money and I'm trying to save with a bunch of big things coming up), but it worked decently for Descent.

Check it out here: http://www.codeweavers.com/

True, forgot that. CrossOver is definitely worth a try because it supports 3d acceleration and all that hardware poo poo, which (IIRC) Parallels does not. I don't think I could get it to work but I'm on an old first-generation Macbook that's gotten a little twitchy over the years.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I know everyone has a hardon for Hamachi, but it's never worked for me. GameRanger, though, is free, supports 500+ games, and works pretty much no matter what right after install.
Don't what the gently caress a VPN/TCP netserver routing number is or how to forward your IPX ports through an offshore Brazilian SMTP? Get Gameranger.
I've been doing HOMM3, Lords of the Realm 2, and Dungeon Keeper 2 non stop lately with it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
:siren: Just wanted to remind you guys that the BOGO Interplay sale ENDS TODAY @ 12:59P.M., so get them while it lasts!!

I went ahead and grabbed a few more because I'm an idiot and can't resist a great sale even though I know I'm not going to have time to play them. I also got:

FreeSpace + Expansion
Stonekeep
Shogo
Shattered Steel
Earthworm Jim 1 +2
Earthworm Jim 3D

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 8, 2009

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did they add some games? I don't remember Die by the Sword being on the sale list earlier.

edit: how did I miss the "Show all games" button?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Could someone do me a favor and gift me Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Giant Citizens Kabuto, and Sacrifice. I ran into a snag and won't have the money for this sale in time. I can repay you through Paypal on Thursday. E-mail me at rirse@msn.com if you are able to do this. Rock Tumbler already helped out.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Could someone do me a favor and gift me Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Giant Citizens Kabuto, and Sacrifice. I ran into a snag and won't have the money for this sale in time. I can repay you through Paypal on Thursday. E-mail me at rirse@msn.com if you are able to do this.

Email sent.

edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to gift multiple games.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2009

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Email sent.

edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to gift multiple games.

Thanks Rock Tumbler, I was able to get the games in time. Now go update GTA IV.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2009

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Grawl posted:

The new Gem of the Week is Simon the Sorcerer. It's a gem alright. I like 2 better (and anything upward is just horrible), but this isn't a bad game in any way.

Only bummer with it is that unlike almost every other adventure game out there, you can do mistakes that makes you permanently stuck and unable to progress (without dying or anything obvious telling you that you're not going anywhere).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AG3 posted:

Only bummer with it is that unlike almost every other adventure game out there, you can do mistakes that makes you permanently stuck and unable to progress (without dying or anything obvious telling you that you're not going anywhere).

Man, that poo poo was the order of the day back in the 1980s.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

AG3 posted:

This isn't true, at least not for Simon the Sorcerer.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MW posted:

I managed to get stuck once, back in the day. If it was possible to recover from it at all, I couldn't find out how. Restarting the game and not doing that silly thing over again worked though.

Or well, so I think. But considering just how many years ago it was, I'm not going to say with 100% certainty that I'm remembering it completely right. I can't even remember what it was. I vaguely remember a patrolling... orc? Troll? Something like that. And trying to use something on him that I shouldn't, making me lose that item, and having no way of getting it back.

But like I said, it's been a godawful number of years since then, so I'm not going to claim I'm remembering it completely correctly (or that it was indeed impossible to recover from, but it did seem like it back then).

As much as I hate to admit it... thank god for Gamefaqs/the internet.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

AG3 posted:

Sierra was pretty famous for this, but Infocom and most of the other developers did this as well. Really the company that set the standard that this never happens is Lucasarts.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I guess with Sierra it was more of a business model, since the consequences of a wrong decision could take hours and hours to show up, leaving people dependent on the hotlines that cost a fortune to call regularly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sacrifice looks really good for a older game, but are there any updated icons for the spells. They look really blurry on the max resolution. Can't find any sites for Sacrifice since typing that name alone in Google just gets the subject matter of sacrifices.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New games: Port Royale, incoming + incoming forces & Expendable.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

MW posted:

It is also NOT true for Simon 2.

Meow
Dec 31, 2004

Hah, I remember getting a demo disc for Expendable with the family's first Dell.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
ah I remember incoming. I downloaded the demo ages ago but it never ran right. I think it did some sort of demo thing until you clicked something to go to the menu or whatever but it always crashed whenever I did so. It looked so cool and I think would've looked awesome on my Voodoo 3 at the time :(.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Port Royale is currently cheaper on Steam (2 Euros for me, I guess $2 for you Americans).

e: Steam has Port Royale 2.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 10, 2009

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm tempted now to get a joystick to enjoy Freespace 1&2 as they were meant to be enjoyed. I'll probably end up spending more on the joystick.

I've set up my XBox 360 gamepad for now, but it probably isn't going to cut it after I'm done with the tutorials.

Any recommendations?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The mouse controls in Freespace are actually pretty excellent. I wouldn't say you're missing anything if you aren't using a joystick.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Spatial posted:

The mouse controls in Freespace are actually pretty excellent. I wouldn't say you're missing anything if you aren't using a joystick.

yeah I beat FS2 with slightly modified controls and it was a blast. I originally thought you had to use the arrow keys on the numpad (which my laptop didn't have) but the mouse was just right. Had to use inverted mouse though (even though I'm non inverted for fps games... weird).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

edit: not this thread argh

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Incoming was the poo poo. It was like one of those Beachhead 2000 games but not lovely.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Clouseau posted:

Sierra was pretty famous for this, but Infocom and most of the other developers did this as well. Really the company that set the standard that this never happens is Lucasarts.

I will maintain until my dying day that I got stuck without possibility of recovery in Curse of Monkey Island.

It was probably 2/3 of the way into the game, you have to repair a lighthouse or something. I captured lightning bugs in a glass jar and put the top back on. They died because I hadn't punched holes in the lid. I could not re-open the jar, punching holes in the lid at that point had no effect, it was impossible to go on.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
I tried using the mouse to control freespace 2 but I couldn't turn fast enough to complete even the tutorial missions. What am I missing? Do you guys just have the sensitivity cranked all the way up?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Lamacq posted:

I tried using the mouse to control freespace 2 but I couldn't turn fast enough to complete even the tutorial missions. What am I missing? Do you guys just have the sensitivity cranked all the way up?

Well did you try turning up the sensitivity? I would have done that instead of running to the forums.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Had to use inverted mouse though (even though I'm non inverted for fps games... weird).
Yeah, same here. If I'm supposed to be in a ship it just doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Lamacq posted:

I do. There's also a knack to the controls; moving the mouse really fast doesn't make you turn faster. Moving it slowly but constantly makes it move faster, it has a sort of inertia to it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I really loved Incoming back then when it came bundeled with my 8mb Vodoo 2 card.

I always wanted to check out Expendable after that, but never got around to. Now that I bought it off GOG it crashes as soon as the level finished loading. Does anyone have the same problem with a regular 07/08 MacBook (with the Intel Graphics card) and WinXP running under Boot Camp?

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
I`m pretty sure the mouse flying is where i learned to use inverted mouse for first person shooters.
Did nothing but inverted mouse flying in tie fighter way back before mouselook was used in shooters and when it finally happened it was just natural to `fly` the gun.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I forgot how old MDK2 was and its still decent looking. 2000 was some freakish year of adequate 3d graphics and then it all went to poo poo or something until like 2005. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Incoming was awesome. I only got off the first map once or twice and then died on the first mission of the second map but I didn't care because it was so awesome anyways.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

regulargonzalez posted:

I will maintain until my dying day that I got stuck without possibility of recovery in Curse of Monkey Island.

It was probably 2/3 of the way into the game, you have to repair a lighthouse or something. I captured lightning bugs in a glass jar and put the top back on. They died because I hadn't punched holes in the lid. I could not re-open the jar, punching holes in the lid at that point had no effect, it was impossible to go on.

Wow. I've never heard of that occurring. I remember that game they went out of their way to make sure that anything like that wouldn't happen. I guess you found a bug.

Sierra added all the death screens both due to lazy game design (Roberta Williams) but also to lengthen the game. See also: adding mazes to a game to make it longer. Space Quest 5 was especially guilty of it, its my favorite Space Quest for a large part of the game, and then since it is over so quickly you go through a lengthy multi-level maze at the end of the game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Clouseau posted:

Sierra added all the death screens both due to lazy game design

This had an unexpectedly loving awesome impact in King's Quest VI, though, when you arrive in the land of the dead, where you've been seeing that goddamn game over screen so often, except this time you're alive! (And you immediately proceed to make a bunch of tough-guy skeleton guards launch into crazy dance by hammering out a tune on a bone xylophone.)

God I loved that game. The rest of the series can pretty much go suck a dick though, yeah.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Ah piss, Redneck Rampage runs like poo poo on my PC. :(

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This had an unexpectedly loving awesome impact in King's Quest VI, though, when you arrive in the land of the dead, where you've been seeing that goddamn game over screen so often, except this time you're alive! (And you immediately proceed to make a bunch of tough-guy skeleton guards launch into crazy dance by hammering out a tune on a bone xylophone.)

God I loved that game. The rest of the series can pretty much go suck a dick though, yeah.

Ohhh god the memories. The actual meeting with the king of the dead scared the poo poo out of younger-me. To this day, I still wonder what he did to get shackled to the throne. That was such an amazing character design.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Androc posted:

Ohhh god the memories. The actual meeting with the king of the dead scared the poo poo out of younger-me. To this day, I still wonder what he did to get shackled to the throne. That was such an amazing character design.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Samhain for answer
(unless you meant very very specifically) :)

Great game, and now that the Dosbox KQ collection is out on Steam, I'm hoping it'll pop up on GOG. I got the KQ collection through retail a few years ago, and tried it on my system before giving it as a gift.

If memory serves, they don't include the KQ6 HD pack or whatever it was (the module or version that gave higher-res dialogue portraits) and there certainly isn't any desktop and soundtrack sort of bonus stuff like GOG would offer.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 11, 2009

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
New weekend promo Postal 1 &2 for $11.98 until Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
A long time ago I made the mistake of saying Heroes of Might and Magic 5 was good. While it is an okay game, a lot of people brought up Kings Bounty and more importantly Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Now Kings Bounty is okay too, and my opinion of that will never change, especially since I've been playing HoMM 3. I can see why some people are so passionate about this game. I remember growing up and seeing ads in magazines for this game and I thought it looked so cheesy and lame but I wish I had played it back then. HoMM 3 is incredible and is still playable today, more so than a lot of games.

If you haven't played HoMM 3 yet, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's deep, engaging, addicting and pretty much everything that is good about a game. It definitely has become one of my "Three games i'd have stuck with me on a deserted island"

So just two questions. Which faction do you think is the best? (Fortress) and are the Might and Magic games just as good, memorable and replayable? Thanks!