Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bung posted:

See this thread and avoid a build date of 07/08 or 08/08. You should be safe if you get something outside of that range. Mine was an 08/08 build date and I thought I would be safe but my engine failed at 7414 miles. But I think Subaru did me right on the repair.

I would imagine those are getting pretty hard to find. Although mine was ordered, the deliveries in December of '08 were already 10/08 builds. It is something to keep in mind, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Just picked up a new 2009 WRX at invoice. :woop:

Coming from a 2001 Honda Civic, this is like a shot of adrenalin to the heart. Never before have I experienced such mind-bending powers beneath my hood.

What are your thoughts on 'breaking-in' the engine? I've heard a) baby it for 3k miles, or b) thrash it to 'set the seals' or something. Aside from hauling rear end on a mountain road for about 50 miles, I've been babying her ever since, keeping it <3k or so.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

Just picked up a new 2009 WRX at invoice. :woop:

Coming from a 2001 Honda Civic, this is like a shot of adrenalin to the heart. Never before have I experienced such mind-bending powers beneath my hood.

What are your thoughts on 'breaking-in' the engine? I've heard a) baby it for 3k miles, or b) thrash it to 'set the seals' or something. Aside from hauling rear end on a mountain road for about 50 miles, I've been babying her ever since, keeping it <3k or so.

Congrats! Is it auto or manual? Just take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so and you'll be fine.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I went with "ride it hard, but keep the revs low".

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

atomicfire posted:

Congrats! Is it auto or manual? Just take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so and you'll be fine.

BLASPHEMYof course it's a manual

Honestly, I've flogged it on and off to about 5-6k with 1 or 2 instances of redline just because it's so ridiculously fun to drive and I've never driven anything quite like it in my entire life. But I'm definitely trying to keep it now under 4k and not use cruise control until after 1k miles.

What's really sad is that my brother was taunting me by saying that after driving it, I'd be tempted to start modding the everliving crap out of it, and he's sadly turned out to be correct.

This car is the best thing ever. :woop: :woop: :woop:

I'm going to take some photos this weekend, but does anybody have any experience creating automotive rigs for photography? I've got a dSLR + great lenses, and was wondering if anybody in AI knew about DIY choices.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX and not upgrade anything else and have it be okay?

I'd love to put some STI Pink springs or equivalent but don't want to spend extra money upgrading other components if I don't absolutely have to.

This will be primarily for looks but I don't want to make the car handle worse.

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2009

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

Honestly, I've flogged it on and off to about 5-6k with 1 or 2 instances of redline just because it's so ridiculously fun to drive and I've never driven anything quite like it in my entire life. But I'm definitely trying to keep it now under 4k and not use cruise control until after 1k miles.

I'm going to take some photos this weekend, but does anybody have any experience creating automotive rigs for photography? I've got a dSLR + great lenses, and was wondering if anybody in AI knew about DIY choices.

I upgraded from a Honda Fit to an 09 WRX and I understand how you feel. After I had my engine replaced they told me to keep it below 4k for the first 1000 miles. For automotive camera mounts, see Stickypods.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I just replaced a leaky uppipe gasket today. Holy poo poo, it's like a different car. Spool is back, low end power is back...I must have been venting enough exhaust energy to power a couple lawnmowers.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Looks like I'll be selling my 97 outback for parts... if anyone around Boston is interested in taking it off my hands PM me.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

dayman posted:

I just replaced a leaky uppipe gasket today. Holy poo poo, it's like a different car. Spool is back, low end power is back...I must have been venting enough exhaust energy to power a couple lawnmowers.

I just did this recently too, its a night a day difference. The poor TD04 was spooling in the 5k range with my leak. I had to double up on the crosspipe and the uppipe gaskets before the bitch would seal.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

BannedForLulz posted:

I just did this recently too, its a night a day difference. The poor TD04 was spooling in the 5k range with my leak. I had to double up on the crosspipe and the uppipe gaskets before the bitch would seal.

Jesus, how long did you drive it like that? That would have been annoying as poo poo.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
Which one of you was this?

http://news.aol.com/article/driver-wears-monkey-mask-in-speed-camera/661005

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

Can I put different springs on my 05 WRX and not upgrade anything else and have it be okay?

I'd love to put some STI Pink springs or equivalent but don't want to spend extra money upgrading other components if I don't absolutely have to.

This will be primarily for looks but I don't want to make the car handle worse.

Can anyone tell me if I can just buy springs or if other parts needs to be upgraded as well?

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

Jesus, how long did you drive it like that? That would have been annoying as poo poo.

Nearly 9 months. I tried earlier but I couldn't get the bolts loose on the downpipe so I said, "The hell with it" and gave up (Chicago winters its whole life, 2004 with 75k miles on it.) It finally bothered me enough that I got down there with 2 cans of PB blaster and a hammer and took care of business. Not to mention it took nearly 2 more days of trial and error before I had to double up the gaskets and finally get it all leak free.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

cmorrow001 posted:

Can anyone tell me if I can just buy springs or if other parts needs to be upgraded as well?

I would highly recommend new struts as well.

in order of what you should buy:

-camber bolts for the front and a better alignment
-Whiteline 24mm front and rear swaybars
-Whiteline ALK
-tokico d-spec struts or koni inserts
-racecomp engineering black springs

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

jamal posted:

I would highly recommend new struts as well.

in order of what you should buy:

-camber bolts for the front and a better alignment
-Whiteline 24mm front and rear swaybars
-Whiteline ALK
-tokico d-spec struts or koni inserts
-racecomp engineering black springs

I'm not concerned much about performance, I don't track the car or anything like that. I just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt other parts.

So I could get away with springs and struts?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jamal, would tokico d-spec struts be a good upgrade to do on their own for a 2002 WRX (otherwise stock)?

I don't want to mess with camber bolts or swaybars as it would knock me out of stock class for autocross, but my car has nearly 100k miles on it so I'm probably due for new struts anyways. I really don't feel like messing around with a dremel and koni inserts so a direct replacement like those seem like the easiest thing to do. A $600 upgrade to improve the handling and make my car feel fresh again doesn't seem too bad.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yes but if you're auto-xing I'd do konis.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
2007 WRX Limited wagon with 25k for $18k-ish, seem like a decent deal?

Alternately, if anyone knows of a white 06-07 WRX Limited wagon for sale near them please lord let me know.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

just a heads up CHRIST ALMIGHTY THIS CAR ROCKS SO MUCH

this is me when i drive- :woop: :woop: :woop:

/public announcement

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

warwick5s posted:

2007 WRX Limited wagon with 25k for $18k-ish, seem like a decent deal?

Alternately, if anyone knows of a white 06-07 WRX Limited wagon for sale near them please lord let me know.

Depends on where you live.

I live in Chicago(land) and the 07 WRX Limited wagons with 15-31K miles have starting prices of $20k. So that seems like a good deal to me.

Also, is $11k reasonable for a clean, 2 owner, stick, 03 WRX wagon with 71k miles?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Just Another XY posted:

just a heads up CHRIST ALMIGHTY THIS CAR ROCKS SO MUCH

this is me when i drive- :woop: :woop: :woop:

/public announcement

Will there be snow? Because boy howdy are you in for it :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A question, because I want to see one - I've seen a lot of GC Imprezas get swapped over to a WRX engine but I've never seen a GF wagon get one and Google isn't turning anything up.

I like the looks of the Impreza L and I know they built WRXes on that chassis in Japan, so I can't imagine that it would be much harder than a swap into a 2.5RS (other than perhaps some suspension work).

e: Of course now that I've worked out the chassis code of the wagon, the search got a lot better. :eng99: Here's one. Now to find an Outback Sport conversion with the wacky waist spoiler and superfluous hood vents, a la the JDM Gravel Express.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 11, 2009

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A question, because I want to see one - I've seen a lot of GC Imprezas get swapped over to a WRX engine but I've never seen a GF wagon get one and Google isn't turning anything up.

I like the looks of the Impreza L and I know they built WRXes on that chassis in Japan, so I can't imagine that it would be much harder than a swap into a 2.5RS (other than perhaps some suspension work).

e: Of course now that I've worked out the chassis code of the wagon, the search got a lot better. :eng99: Here's one. Now to find an Outback Sport conversion with the wacky waist spoiler and superfluous hood vents, a la the JDM Gravel Express.

I knew someone with an Outback Sport that had a full 2007 (I think) STi drivetrain swap.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've been reading through this thread, I am pretty sure my next car will be a WRX or WRX STI, I am amazed how much power you can get with just a simple ECU reflash from Cobb. The M3 will have to wait a few years.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I knew someone with an Outback Sport that had a full 2007 (I think) STi drivetrain swap.

I've seen that car, and it was awesome. IIRC it was done by ECS.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They exist. There are a bunch over on http://www.rs25.com

A nice example of one is http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t98262-fujis-gf8f5sd.html

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

c355n4 posted:

A nice example of one is http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t98262-fujis-gf8f5sd.html

Yeah Fuji's car is ridiculous. He's a really smart guy too, very knowledgeable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

c355n4 posted:

I actually know this guy.
loving insane.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Commodore 64 posted:

Depends on where you live.

I live in Chicago(land) and the 07 WRX Limited wagons with 15-31K miles have starting prices of $20k. So that seems like a good deal to me.

I'm in Madison but this one was in South Carolina. I say "was" because it has sold. :smith:

If I end up deciding to move my Protege5 and get another Subaru I think I'm between a WRX Limited and Forester XT of some sort. My requirements would be stick, turbo, leather, and sunroof. Would it be easier to find a Forester like that, you think?

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

warwick5s posted:

I'm in Madison but this one was in South Carolina. I say "was" because it has sold. :smith:

If I end up deciding to move my Protege5 and get another Subaru I think I'm between a WRX Limited and Forester XT of some sort. My requirements would be stick, turbo, leather, and sunroof. Would it be easier to find a Forester like that, you think?

If those are your requirements; then have you looked at a Legacy GT Limited?

The GT models have turbos and the limiteds have all the luxuries your looking for too. The only down side is the factory radio is hard and expensive to replace.

Plus I've seen 05 GT limited wagons go for $12-18k; much cheaper than the WRX.

Since travel isn't an issue for you; there's this wagon for $13k (Warning: it has the 5 speed automanual, 90k miles and no real CarFax history).

Also could you tell me more about owning a Protege5? You can PM me anytime or email at wraith216 at gmail.com.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Let's talk alignments. On my way into Boston last week, I hit a pothole (more correctly a chasm) on 93 bad enough to physically switch my wipers on. I've hit a few nasty bumps like that. I've also heard factory alignments aren't all that reliable.

For a stock 2009 WRX, can anyone make any recommended settings for a slightly more aggressive (I don't mind some extra tire wear, but I still want them to last) set of parameters? Also, what kind of shop should one look for to get a good alignment. There are plenty around here that will do a four wheel alignment and get everything within spec, but I have no idea where you'd go to get a good one done.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

LOTS of negative camber in the front, zero toe all around. If you go around corners with any frequency, -2 degrees is a good start. I run a little over -2.5 on the street, and have noticed perfectly even tire wear. To do this I've slotted my front struts, and you would need to do the same or get camber bolts or camber plates.

On the stock adjustment, you will be somewhere under -1.5 maxed out.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Let's talk alignments. On my way into Boston last week, I hit a pothole (more correctly a chasm) on 93 bad enough to physically switch my wipers on. I've hit a few nasty bumps like that. I've also heard factory alignments aren't all that reliable.

For a stock 2009 WRX, can anyone make any recommended settings for a slightly more aggressive (I don't mind some extra tire wear, but I still want them to last) set of parameters? Also, what kind of shop should one look for to get a good alignment. There are plenty around here that will do a four wheel alignment and get everything within spec, but I have no idea where you'd go to get a good one done.

Go to FasTrack Automotive in Peabody and see Scott, you won't regret it. http://fastrackservice.com/

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I'm going to go from this....

to this.....

:awesomelon: UPGRADE :awesomelon:

I feel like cinderalla. oh my god.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 12, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Commodore 64 posted:

If those are your requirements; then have you looked at a Legacy GT Limited?

I had a 2000 Outback for a while and hated it. Too big.

There's another Limited a whole lot closer to me, 31k for 20k. Silver again, though. Wish it were white. :(

I really wish the 09 WRX Premium had leather, I think it'd be a no-brainer. I have to have it in any car from now on, I had leather in my Outback and it held up perfectly, while the cloth in my P5 is getting demolished.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

I have an '07 Impreza 2.5i, and when I'm going about 60 MPH, I can hear a high pitched noise that I think is coming from the engine. If I lift off the gas pedal, the noise stops. Is that normal for Imprezas?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

And uh, just in case you guys haven't seen any other 09 WRXs, here's a photo of my baby.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
what oil are you guys using in your WRX's? I haven't changed my own oil on the Saabaru yet but I think it's about time I started after the local quick-stop place charged me $65 for Pennzoil 5w30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

^^^ Check back a few pages, there's some guys with oil change recommendations, I'm lazy too ,sorry. :)

Question: How many of you guys have auto-crossed your cars? (or worse, cat terrist I'm looking at you) I want to do some locally (San Diego), and while the fee to get in and materials is rather cheap, ~$40 fee, battery tie-down and helmet, I'm worried about long-term effects on my car. I know it's a performance vehicle (09 WRX), but what shoud I be on the look-out for replacing constantly (such as brake pads, tires), and what parts might experience a reduced life-span? I want to play with my car on a track, but I don't want to have to toss in thousands later on down the line just because I took her sideways a few days out of the year.

I drive her pretty conservatively, (<4k rpms consistently, with an occasional 5k spool) and she's my daily, so I'd rather not risk her dying on me sooner than later.