Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kobax posted:

Okay, I just said "gently caress it" and bought this

Hopefully I didn't get ripped off, but I won't mind you telling me if I did. Now who makes the best/cheapest media extenders so I can watch my recordings on other TVs in the house? Would I be best off buying a few used Xbox 360's?

The cost seems a little high, but nothing out of the realm of retail. They don't mention what video card it has..

I like the case though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vanilla slimfast posted:

Short answer: no. Getting service is contingent on the receiver/tuner box doing the decryption, so you can't plug a satellite dish directly into a tuner card and capture anything

Your options for capture are as follows:

* Analog capture from your receiver box w/ an IR blaster to control channel changes. You can do SD with many different cards, but there is only one option for HD - the Hauppage HD-PVR

* Get a gray-market modded receiver box that adds a firewire port, allowing for raw transport stream capture. http://169time.com/ or http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/home.htm

My guess is that if you call a provider specifically asking about homebrew PVR options, you will get no help whatsoever

Any idea now noticeable the quality loss from analog capture is? I wish I could find some samples to download and check out...

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

revmoo posted:

The cost seems a little high, but nothing out of the realm of retail. They don't mention what video card it has..

I like the case though

It's an Nvidia 8500 GT.

I don't get the deal with cablecard HTPCs. Almost every manufacturer has dropped their cable-ready systems. All you can get is refurbs.

This thing retailed for $6000 a few years ago. I don't understand why.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Kobax posted:

It's an Nvidia 8500 GT.

I don't get the deal with cablecard HTPCs. Almost every manufacturer has dropped their cable-ready systems. All you can get is refurbs.

This thing retailed for $6000 a few years ago. I don't understand why.

http://gizmodo.com/5355976/windows-media-center-opens-up-drm-restrictions-on-shows-allows-more-copying

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
8500GT barely cuts it for 1080i content. If you can change it, I would go with at least a 9500gt

Anyhow, cablelabs just dropped a bomb. They are dropping the OEM requirement for cablecard tuners! http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/09/media-center-cablecards-freed-from-oem-requirement/

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Ryokurin posted:

8500GT barely cuts it for 1080i content. If you can change it, I would go with at least a 9500gt

Anyhow, cablelabs just dropped a bomb. They are dropping the OEM requirement for cablecard tuners! http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/09/media-center-cablecards-freed-from-oem-requirement/

Great. Well, at least I've got my foot in the door, and since the tuners are 300 bucks apiece I don't feel too ripped off getting two of em plus a computer for 900 bucks.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Finally we can install CableCARD tuners on our own PCs.

This is awesome, and I may finally jump on the HTPC bandwagon. My biggest problem with them in the past is that I wouldn't really be able to DVR or watch anything because all of the HD cable channels require a digital cable box. My dreams have come true! :swoon:

I wonder if this will open the market up to more CableCARD tuners? The only one that I know about thus far is the ATI Digital Tuner Wonder (or whatever it's called) but you can only get it if you buy a new PC. There's a few shady retailers selling them but thats about it.

edit: doh, i missed the link that was 2 posts above mine

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 10, 2009

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Ryokurin posted:

Is that for playback? Why would an 8500GT not cut it? I use a G98 core 8400GS and it works just fine for DXVA or CoreAVC CUDA playback at 1080p. Surely the 8500GT wouldn't be much worse, if not better?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Thermopyle posted:

Any idea now noticeable the quality loss from analog capture is? I wish I could find some samples to download and check out...

SD or HD? Doing analog SD capture is going to be limited to 480i.

As far as HD is concerned, I've read reports that the HD-PVR produces pretty transparent encodes at high enough bitrates, but I've not tried it myself. Some further reading about it here (MythTV-specific): http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR

edit: the URL above links to three sample files at different bitrates that were captured with the HD-PVR

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vanilla slimfast posted:

SD or HD? Doing analog SD capture is going to be limited to 480i.

As far as HD is concerned, I've read reports that the HD-PVR produces pretty transparent encodes at high enough bitrates, but I've not tried it myself. Some further reading about it here (MythTV-specific): http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR

edit: the URL above links to three sample files at different bitrates that were captured with the HD-PVR

Awesome. I was asking about HD.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Checking in, I think I finally got my custom-built HTPC working at top form now. I've had to fight with Ubuntu and XBMC a lot (mostly Ubuntu), but I now finally have

* flawless passthrough audio on HDMI and
* VDPAU hardware decoding, including smooth 1080p

The 1080p playback was a doozy. I have an AMD 2.6Ghz dual core and 8200 IGP. It's enough to do 1080p using XBMC's VDPAU, but for some reason, I was dropping frames like crazy in 1080p.

Turns out, the fix was to increase the CPU frequency, to 210. Brought me up to 2.7Ghz. The weird thing is, though, that the entire point of VDPAU is to take video decoding off the CPU and onto the GPU. It has been doing that; XBMC only uses -%10 CPU during HD playback. But as somebody on the XBMC forums explained, doing what I did also benefits RAM, which must have been the key.

So I want to share what else I've been up to lately. First, I got Wifi working, so I can be connected when the machine isn't in my room. This will be helpful when I bring it into the family room, especially so my dad can watch internet feeds of Steeler games. Though I am concerned that my signal seems to drop very easily, I'll need to look into that.

But since I have a low-profile case, my options were limited. I ended up getting a USB WIFI N-network dongle. With my new N-network router, my speed clocks in at 15Mbps (as opposed to 25Mbps over wire, and my laptop's 3Mbps over G-network.

A concern I've had, though, is that I don't want dongles sticking out of this machine. So I bought this at my local CompUSA, took the PCI bracket off, and now I have internal USB ports to stick dongles inside of my case.

I've also done this with my new purchase, which just arrived today: IOGEAR wireless keyboard with trackball mouse. Until now, my two options for controlling my HTPC has been a regular keyboard and mouse (the keyboard just died last week), and my iPhone. I have a great iPhone remote, but it's slow, and sometimes seems to even cause XBMC to lock up on occasions.

I haven't used it much, but so far I'm really liking this keyboard. It's got a trackball, two mouse buttons and scroll wheel on it, so it's everything I need. It's also got media center navigation controls, and everything works with no configuration needed on the XBMC Linux port. The only issue is that the trackball is a little loose in the socket, which is normal. This means, if the keyboard gets bumped, the mouse will move, which will wake up XBMC when you're watching the video. I think I'm gonna look into a script for Linux on turning the mouse on and off.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I figured once I bought the HD-PVR they'd open up CableCard, and of course that's happening. EngadgetHD has some pretty solid coverage of CEDIA and they have some info on a forthcoming four-strem PCI-E CableCard tuner:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10/hands-on-with-the-ceton-cablecard-tuner/ posted:

We learned all about it this new tuner first thing this morning and were very pleased to see a "technology preview" of the card in action at the Microsoft's booth. As expected, it is a single PCI-E card that uses one multi-stream CableCARD and offers the ability to record four HD channels at once. The tuner shows up as a single network adapter in Windows and still uses UPnP like the currently available ATI tuner does. The configuration and diagnostic interface included tabs for each individual tuner and apparently two Tuning Adapters -- unfortunately there wasn't a working demo of the SDV tuning in action. And in case you are wondering, we did ask about the price and as you might expect we were referred to Ceton for specific product questions. We do already have an appointment with them tomorrow, but we'd be surprised if they were ready to tell us.

This and a couple of XBoxen could lead to "goodbye cable DVR"

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

creamyhorror posted:

Is that for playback? Why would an 8500GT not cut it? I use a G98 core 8400GS and it works just fine for DXVA or CoreAVC CUDA playback at 1080p. Surely the 8500GT wouldn't be much worse, if not better?

It can't handle deinterlacing of 1080i mpeg-2 or VC1 content and it tends to struggle on inverse telecine as well. It can do 1080p but no post processing. Basically it's barely acceptable for blu-ray content, and not really acceptable if you watch a lot of 1080i content like off of CBS or NBC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ryokurin posted:

It can't handle deinterlacing of 1080i mpeg-2 or VC1 content and it tends to struggle on inverse telecine as well. It can do 1080p but no post processing. Basically it's barely acceptable for blu-ray content, and not really acceptable if you watch a lot of 1080i content like off of CBS or NBC.

I can buy VC-1 but I have a hard time believing any machine built in the last few years has any trouble with MPEG-2, especially at broadcast bitrates.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Anyone have an opinion on the Compro E900F? http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/e900f/e900f.html

I'm after something for my desktop PC that'll let me watch HD TV over the air in a window on my desktop, and also allow me to rip some VHS video. Pausing live video, scheduled recording etc as well, of course.
I don't care about the remote. I've got a HTPC for proper viewing, this is just so I don't need to fire up the plasma to quickly watch a bit of TV, and the aforementioned VHS dubbing.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How does today's Woot look?

Gateway 1.8GHz QuadCore Media Center with HDMI
$289.99 + $5 shipping

Features:

* AMD Phenom X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) with AMD64 Technology
* 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules), expandable up to 8GB
* Integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory
* AMD 780G Chipset
* 1 HDMI and 1 VGA video port
* 640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache
* 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology
* 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
* 2 IEEE 1394a Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)
* 2 PS2 Ports
* 1 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-Ex1 and 1 - PCI Available Expansion Slots
* Gateway® 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button
* 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
* 300W Power Supply
* 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
* 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
* Premium Multimedia Keyboard
* 2-Button USB Optical Wheel Mouse
* Amplified USB Powered Stereo Speakers
* Dimensions (H x W x D): 16.34” x 7.09” x 17.32” (415mm x 180mm x 440mm)
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1

http://www.woot.com

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

TheScott2K posted:

I can buy VC-1 but I have a hard time believing any machine built in the last few years has any trouble with MPEG-2, especially at broadcast bitrates.

It's not the machine, its the card and the way it does hardware acceleration. All I'm stating is the limitations I saw when I had the card, and what I found on the web at the time. I later replaced it with a 8300 mainboard and while it still had problems, it was still better video performance then the 8500GT was. Anyhow links.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10468272#post10468272 Old but still pretty much applys with newer drivers.

quote:

"Enabling inverse telecine results in an increase in dropped frames on
high bitrate 1080p VC‐1 titles.[302992]"

http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=198&topic=1364.msg8903#msg8903

quote:

What I wrote is correct. Acceleration means that GPU will offload decoding of the HD video. However any post-processing on HD sources such as NVIDIA's advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing, 3:2 reversal, and noise reduction is not working in XP. This means that 1080i deinterlacing is broken. Film sources are not recognized as such (3:2 cadence detection) and thus 1/2 the fields are simply thrown away. Video deinterlacing isn't much better right now, it is deinterlaced brute force and thus bobbed when a motion adaptive bob and weave algorithim should be used for best image resolution. In Vista these are all working.

And I'll add that even though it works in Vista it still is inferior performance to other cards like an 8600 or a 9500.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047&p=3

quote:

We excluded tests of NVIDIA's 8500 series, as their video drivers have not yet been optimized for their low end hardware. Even so, we have been given indications not to expect the level of performance we see from the 8600 series.

Pretty much everyone buying something like this want the hardware acceleration so they can use a cooler processor, so the idea of just running it in software isn't really acceptable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's the best method for ripping my DVD collection for use on my HTPC? I have a little under 100 discs, and need to rip these all in a format that Boxee will recognize. I just need "good enough" quality, but I need something with as little clicks as possible so I can get through this as painlessly as possible.

I have both Windows and OSX and will be dumping these on a network server.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

What's the best method for ripping my DVD collection for use on my HTPC? I have a little under 100 discs, and need to rip these all in a format that Boxee will recognize. I just need "good enough" quality, but I need something with as little clicks as possible so I can get through this as painlessly as possible.

Use Handbrake

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Aphasian posted:

How does today's Woot look?

Gateway 1.8GHz QuadCore Media Center with HDMI
$289.99 + $5 shipping

Features:

* AMD Phenom X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) with AMD64 Technology
* 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules), expandable up to 8GB
* Integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory
* AMD 780G Chipset
* 1 HDMI and 1 VGA video port
* 640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache
* 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology
* 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
* 2 IEEE 1394a Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)
* 2 PS2 Ports
* 1 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-Ex1 and 1 - PCI Available Expansion Slots
* Gateway® 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button
* 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
* 300W Power Supply
* 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
* 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
* Premium Multimedia Keyboard
* 2-Button USB Optical Wheel Mouse
* Amplified USB Powered Stereo Speakers
* Dimensions (H x W x D): 16.34” x 7.09” x 17.32” (415mm x 180mm x 440mm)
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1

http://www.woot.com

Should have checked here first, but I wrote about it in the coupons Woot thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2195988&pagenumber=112#post365618216

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.

TheWevel posted:

I wonder if this will open the market up to more CableCARD tuners? The only one that I know about thus far is the ATI Digital Tuner Wonder (or whatever it's called) but you can only get it if you buy a new PC. There's a few shady retailers selling them but thats about it.

I do hope this opens up the market for CableCARD tuners, but if you want that ATI card, you can get it from Dell (and the price is better than what the shady types want for it):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/TV_Tuners_Remote_Viewing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=NAHB&sku=A2438651

I'm tentatively planning on picking one up (along with a new motherboard and case) and repurposing my mostly unused E6600-based desktop into an HTPC/HD DVR.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

vinnie1023 posted:

I do hope this opens up the market for CableCARD tuners, but if you want that ATI card, you can get it from Dell (and the price is better than what the shady types want for it):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/TV_Tuners_Remote_Viewing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=NAHB&sku=A2438651

I'm tentatively planning on picking one up (along with a new motherboard and case) and repurposing my mostly unused E6600-based desktop into an HTPC/HD DVR.

It looks like Ceton and Hauppage are both bringing out Cablecard tuners, so hopefully prices will be reasonable.

http://cetoncorp.com/ProductsWMC.php

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I was reading engadget last night and came across this "HD 101" post which discusses what some of the technology behind HD capture on computer is (ATSC, QAM, etc). I know I've posted at length about these topics in this thread already but this might be a good primer for people who are trying to get up to speed (plus it has pictures :v:)

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/08/hd-101-what-is-atsc-psip-qam-and-8-vsb/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kri kri posted:

Use Handbrake

Will handbrake support chapters and/or special feature menus?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just finished setting up my HTPC, and I also have a Ubunutu server on the same network. I have a few other PCs, and a couple laptops that I use. I'm wondering if I can setup Samba shares on the Ubunutu server and move all my music to that, and then use whatever music library program I want to access it on each PC.

The HTPC is running Windows 7, so I'll use WMC to access it, the other PC's will probably use iTunes or Foobar. I don't have any iPods, but will probably be getting an iPhone or Nano soon so I want to get my huge music collection prepped. Right now everything is on my old XP PC that I used Foobar for, but never really listened to music off of it, so nothing is setup. My entire collection is DRM free, I haven't bought anything off of iTunes, but would like to if I could share it.

I'd like to also be able to buy music from any of my PCs with the different programs (iTunes w/ no DRM or Amazon downloads) and have it go into the share have all my PCs stay updated.

To sum it up:

1) One music library on my file server
2) HTPC with Windows7 running WMC
3) 2 laptops with iTunes with only DRM free songs.

Is what I want to do possible?

EDIT: Also, is there a Netflix Plug-in for Windows 7 RC WMC yet? I don't see it and I can't find a place to get it.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 12, 2009

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BorderPatrol posted:

Will handbrake support chapters and/or special feature menus?

I'm not aware of any codec that can do that. You want to just rip the entire disc for that stuff. Dump the video_ts files into a folder with the name of the movie and most if not all htpc frontends will be able to play it.

4gb might seem like a lot of space for a movie but get used to it. 1080p compressed stuff is often 12gb or so. It's just the way things are headed. You're better off buying a new HDD and ripping the discs straight up than trying to encode 100 dvds which are practically obsolete as it is.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Withnail posted:

Whats the new dell?

Some photos have leaked (either purposefully or otherwise) of something called the "Dell Zino HD" which is supposed to be available sometime this fall. Google it to see the photos. It is supposed to have desktop parts, and sell for around $500. I'm waiting to see the specs before I put an HTPC together.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I believe Boxee supports playing iso images of DVDs. You might want to give that a shot, as you mentioned you want to preserve chapters and menus.

edit: and in terms of "as little clicks as possible", if you use Slysoft AnyDVD, you just insert a disc and click "rip to image". Keep in mind though, ripping images is 1:1...no compression done using this method, so you'll need a lot of drive space.

deadhoarse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 12, 2009

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

deadhoarse posted:

I believe Boxee supports playing iso images of DVDs. You might want to give that a shot, as you mentioned you want to preserve chapters and menus.

edit: and in terms of "as little clicks as possible", if you use Slysoft AnyDVD, you just insert a disc and click "rip to image". Keep in mind though, ripping images is 1:1...no compression done using this method, so you'll need a lot of drive space.

Drive space is not an issue. I currently have a 3.5TB 8-bay server hooked up to a gigabit LAN network streaming to a media extenders in the house. Disc space is cheap so if I fill it up, I'll just add another drive.

I was able to use DVDFab to dump a VIDEO_TS folder to the share, and Boxee was able to playback the file. My only concern was that there were lots of people in the Boxee forums saying that playback is sometimes hit-or-miss, and sometimes it will start on the wrong chapter. I tried using DVDFab to write an as .iso, but for some reason it kept failing on me.

I had a few .iso images on the drive from previous rips years back and they were able to be played back fine it seems. I ripped an .mkv with Handbrake, but it only played about about 30 min then ended, very odd result. May have been an isolated incident.

If anyone's used RipIt on the mac, it's a great program that does nearly exactly what I want. It has an option to start ripping the disc automatically when inserted in the background and does it usually at around 20-30 min each. Only issue with that program is it saves all files in a .dvdmedia format, which is useless in my case.

I though AnyDVD was just a driver, and did not do any dvd ripping itself. Do you mean CloneDVD?

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I though AnyDVD was just a driver, and did not do any dvd ripping itself. Do you mean CloneDVD?

AnyDVD has the ability to simply copy the contents of DVDs and create isos of DVDs, but it cannot perform any compression itself. You're right about space being so cheap these days, that's why I don't bother compressing my DVDs anymore.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Ive just installed my remote sensor and have run into a problem. When I reboot it hangs at the BIOS untill I unplug it. Looking it up its supposed to be a USB conflict hanging the boot up. I have disabled the USB at boot but it still happens. What am I doing wrong. Its going to be something simple I just know it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just finished setting up my HTPC, and I also have a Ubunutu server on the same network. I have a few other PCs, and a couple laptops that I use. I'm wondering if I can setup Samba shares on the Ubunutu server and move all my music to that, and then use whatever music library program I want to access it on each PC.

The HTPC is running Windows 7, so I'll use WMC to access it, the other PC's will probably use iTunes or Foobar. I don't have any iPods, but will probably be getting an iPhone or Nano soon so I want to get my huge music collection prepped. Right now everything is on my old XP PC that I used Foobar for, but never really listened to music off of it, so nothing is setup. My entire collection is DRM free, I haven't bought anything off of iTunes, but would like to if I could share it.

I'd like to also be able to buy music from any of my PCs with the different programs (iTunes w/ no DRM or Amazon downloads) and have it go into the share have all my PCs stay updated.

To sum it up:

1) One music library on my file server
2) HTPC with Windows7 running WMC
3) 2 laptops with iTunes with only DRM free songs.

Is what I want to do possible?

EDIT: Also, is there a Netflix Plug-in for Windows 7 RC WMC yet? I don't see it and I can't find a place to get it.

Are you wanting the sharing to just be streaming, or would you want to be able to burn/copy/ipod/etc any song from any machine in the house? Would you want the music to only be centralized in one place?

I run firefly media server (a daap daemon) on my ubuntu-based media pc, which allows me to share my entire music collection stored on that machine with any other machine running itunes. If I need to get at the files directly, I just access them via samba

It's not the perfect solution, but it does work pretty well.

Also, iTunes 9 was just released which has a new feature that is supposed to synchronize collections spread across multiple machines on a network automatically, but I haven't played about with it at all yet so I can't speak for how well that might work for you

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

revmoo posted:

I'm not aware of any codec that can do that.

I don't think it so much a question of codec as it is container. I know for sure that MKV supports chapters, which could presumably be mapped to the chapter markers of a source DVD/BRD

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

vanilla slimfast posted:

Are you wanting the sharing to just be streaming, or would you want to be able to burn/copy/ipod/etc any song from any machine in the house? Would you want the music to only be centralized in one place?

I run firefly media server (a daap daemon) on my ubuntu-based media pc, which allows me to share my entire music collection stored on that machine with any other machine running itunes. If I need to get at the files directly, I just access them via samba

It's not the perfect solution, but it does work pretty well.

Also, iTunes 9 was just released which has a new feature that is supposed to synchronize collections spread across multiple machines on a network automatically, but I haven't played about with it at all yet so I can't speak for how well that might work for you

I actually share it out via samba, and then point each laptop with iTunes to that folder, and point my WMC pc to that share for my music library right now, and it works pretty good. Is there a reason why that won't work? I only have one iTunes laptop and the one WMC pointing there now, but it seems to be ok.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I actually share it out via samba, and then point each laptop with iTunes to that folder, and point my WMC pc to that share for my music library right now, and it works pretty good. Is there a reason why that won't work? I only have one iTunes laptop and the one WMC pointing there now, but it seems to be ok.

Nope, that works fine too. The only downside of course is that if you are off the network or disconnected from the shares, itunes will freakout about the missing files and put the exclamation in front of them. It can be a bitch to clear that out

If you never take the devices off the network then that becomes a non-issue. Pretty much everything reading the files I would expect to be read-only so you shouldn't have any problems with files getting mangled as a result of multiple people accessing them

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So the laptop I was using as a HTPC had a GPU meltdown last weekend so I'm in the market for a new HTPC.

I'm considering the ASRock ION 330 NVIDIA ION but I figure I might be able to build something with more power for a similar price (with 4GB RAM upgrade and a wireless nic)

I'd like to get an all-in-one type of deal that will run Windows 7 decently and allow me to do some encoding, HD playback, olderish games, and emulators.

I put together a wishlist on newegg:

1 ASRock A780GXH/128M Motherboard Link
1 AMD Phenom II X3 705e Heka 2.5GHz Socket AM3 65W Triple-Core Processor Link
1 SAPPHIRE 100254HDMI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Link
1 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Link
1 XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply Link
1 nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Steel HTPC 2000B ATX Media Center Link
1 LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner
(Already have a spare 1TB 7200 drive, Tuner Card, Windows 7 Pro RTM, IR Blaster, BT Keyboard/Mouse, Harmony 550, PCI Wireless NIC)
for ~500$

Any suggestions? I can wait a couple weeks for new stuff, but I don't want to wait until next year to buy a new HTPC.

Also, I'll have a PS3 here in another month or so, so Blu-ray isn't really a concern.

bomb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2009

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Whiteycar posted:

How would the Revo work as an HTPC.

It looks fine through the reviews I've seen of it however I am not sure how it will be networked.

Any recommendations for media software to run on this I was thinking xbox media center.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10140ST6369&vpn=PT.SCA0X.073&manufacture=ACER

So far its running exactly as expected. I am quite happy however we'll see what happens when I start throwing some HD Content at it. I am probably going to keep it under 720p for the time being and just have whatever I am using stretch to fill.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

bomb posted:

So the laptop I was using as a HTPC had a GPU meltdown last weekend so I'm in the market for a new HTPC.

I'm considering the ASRock ION 330 NVIDIA ION but I figure I might be able to build something with more power for a similar price (with 4GB RAM upgrade and a wireless nic)

I'd like to get an all-in-one type of deal that will run Windows 7 decently and allow me to do some encoding, HD playback, olderish games, and emulators.

1 SAPPHIRE 100254HDMI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Link
1 LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner
(Already have a spare 1TB 7200 drive, Tuner Card, Windows 7 Pro RTM, IR Blaster, BT Keyboard/Mouse, Harmony 550, PCI Wireless NIC)
for ~500$

Any suggestions? I can wait a couple weeks for new stuff, but I don't want to wait until next year to buy a new HTPC.

Also, I'll have a PS3 here in another month or so, so Blu-ray isn't really a concern.

Depending on what you're using it for, you might want to wait until the windows 7 roll out (oct 22) to see if they actually open up the digital cable specs for DIY machines. That would be an awesome time to get in on the ground floor. Cheap 4 way tuners, no drm...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

bomb posted:

1 LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner
for ~500$

I would get a micro ATX 780g motherboard like one of Gigabyte's boards. Unless you absolutely need 4-5 peripheral cards it's just wasted space. With a smaller mobo you can get a much sleeker HTPC case like an Antec Fusion. I've never heard of XCLIO brand powersupplies so I would be a little leary--the Fusion comes with a decent Antec supply anyways.

Also is there any reason you need the graphics card? The 780g's onboard video with a Phenom processor is really quite good. I have a 780g with an 8650 triple core Phenom and it decodes blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc. without any problems and barely any CPU utilization.

I would personally skip the tuner card and just wait for cablecard tuners--the HTPC PVR story is pretty lovely right now in my opinion.

In my experience wifi is terrible for an HTPC, too flakey and slow for file transfers & streaming. See if you can track down some Motorola NIM100 ethernet to coaxial cable bridges if you don't have ethernet run through your house. Netgear and others also have similar products but are more expenive (about $200 for a kit).

Be careful with bluetooth mice and keyboards, they can sometimes have pretty crappy range. I use Microsoft's unfortunately discontinued IR keyboard, huge range and great battery life (going on over a year with the stock batteries for me). I recently added a MS wireless bluetrack mouse and it's fantastic, you can use it on furniture, carpet, and even your clothes--sounds crazy but works great for computing from a couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

:words:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I won't have any problems wiring it to my Tomato WRT54GL, it's only a few feet away. As for the PVR, I already have it. Same with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse(both of which have worked great for me in the past). I have most of the external stuff covered, it's just I needed a new system because my docked laptop had a meltdown.

The reasoning behind the video card was for games that were a little bit older, emulators, and whatever else might be GPU intensive. Does the Gigabyte motherboard provide sound over HDMI?

I did take your advice on the MicroATX case, I'm just curious about the HDMI situation.