Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I'm making one at the moment and I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's pretty long. I think when it's finished it's meant to be about 6 foot or so. One problem I'm having with mine is at some points I've made the bit where I've carried the yarn up the side too tight so it now curves ever so slightly up one edge. Would soaking it and pinning it to dry when it's done cure this? Do I need to use anything fancy of will plain old water do?

Here's mine in progress (about half way through). I like the colours :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.
Jumping on the Noro scarf bandwagon, this was one of my first projects:

And yeah, block the scarf if it's curving.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Oh no, that scarf was only two balls, plus it was 50% off :)

Better pic to show off the color:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Please stop tormenting me with Noro. :smith:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Sex Hobbit posted:

Oh no, that scarf was only two balls, plus it was 50% off :)

Oh thank god! I looked at it and went thought it looked tiny, then realized I haven't actually seen pics of it on anybody except brooklyntweed's, and his photos are very artfully blurred, so I couldn't know just how big it was... so I checked your post history and saw the 4 balls for your dad's scarf and thought they were the same! Now that I look they're not even close to the same colors. :downs:

Sorry Wandering Knitter, I really want it too (and can't afford it...) but I wasn't gonna attempt scrounging up that kind of dough at all if it made such a tiny-rear end scarf, so I just HAD to know. :)

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Man, this thread is both extremely inspiring, and kind of daunting. Decided just the other day that it would be cool to knit, make some of my own gear and stuff for friends, just a skill that would be useful to have in general. Only ever tried to crochet before because that's my mom's area of expertise (and I was maybe 11 at the time) so we've actually been kind of learning how together the past day or two.

After the initial few hours of trying not to stab myself with a needle out of pure frustration (followed all those helpful videos and guides to the letter, but I kept getting left behind somewhere along the process) I've managed to get a hang of casting on, and the knit stitch. Just been practicing that for the past day, next is the purl stitch, then onward to destiny! Going to go out and buy some better yarn in the next few days, but for now I'm just practicing on a decades-old skein of cheap blue craft store stuff.

You guys have me really amped up to get everything down pat and start my first project, so I just wanted to jump in here and thank you for that :)

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Fall knitty is out! :derp:

Honestly, at first glance there's nothing that I'm wild about, which I'm kind of grateful for, since I have about 5 christmas present projects mostly done (I never have enough yarn, dammit) and a longer ravelry queue that I'm willing to publicly admit.

I'm not the world's most confident knitter, and I've never commited to any bigish projects, but damned if this drat owl sweater hasn't made my knitting fingers itchy. Oh god it's so loving cute :3:

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I finished my Noro Scarf!

I love all the colours and can't wait till it's cold enough for winter woolies to wear it!

Click here for the full 911x683 image.

This is how much of a curve it has though...

Click here for the full 1367x1823 image.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Tatiana posted:

Fall knitty is out! :derp:

Mostly just socks and sweaters. Again. :sigh:

I have to admit that Zozo is a good base for me to modify for my own creations, and I really could have used Sweetspot back when I was in college and had way more free time and access to cool yarn. But outside of that isn't another issue of stuff I don't want to make. Guess it's back to working on my Christmas presents.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Klams Jam posted:

I finished my Noro Scarf!

I love all the colours and can't wait till it's cold enough for winter woolies to wear it!

That looks great! Don't worry about the curve, it won't be noticeable if you put the short side against your neck. You can even call it a "design feature". Be careful, these scarfs become addicting!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

I really could have used Sweetspot back when I was in college and had way more free time and access to cool yarn. But outside of that isn't another issue of stuff I don't want to make. Guess it's back to working on my Christmas presents.

I like the sweetspot one a fair bit, but honestly, I'd rather do it with cheapo yarn odds and ends or recycled jumpers, because the end result doesn't look to me like it's worth the financial investment of all those yarns. It's a pretty cool effect, but still, it just looks so hodge podge that you might at well buy a ton of cheap yarn and space dye it yourself.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I like the sweetspot one a fair bit, but honestly, I'd rather do it with cheapo yarn odds and ends or recycled jumpers, because the end result doesn't look to me like it's worth the financial investment of all those yarns. It's a pretty cool effect, but still, it just looks so hodge podge that you might at well buy a ton of cheap yarn and space dye it yourself.

Oh there is no way in hell I'd buy the yarn they suggested. I'd just try out the various variegated yarn I have just to see what happens. Actually that sounds fun. I'll have to remember it after Christmas.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I make a lot of dishcloths (don't ask), and cheapo Peaches and Cream cotton varigated has a sweetspot like that, too. Somewhere around 40ish stitches, the varigated will make almost an argyle pattern over about 50ish or so rows.

Peaches and Cream is like 2 bucks for 2 and a half dishcloths, so it may be a cheap way to mess around with the idea!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ThreeFish posted:

I make a lot of dishcloths (don't ask), and cheapo Peaches and Cream cotton varigated has a sweetspot like that, too. Somewhere around 40ish stitches, the varigated will make almost an argyle pattern over about 50ish or so rows.

Peaches and Cream is like 2 bucks for 2 and a half dishcloths, so it may be a cheap way to mess around with the idea!

I loved P&C when I was in the US. Crocheted a fishnet bag out of it, but it stretched out horribly, so I think I might unravel it and knit it into something awesome and rainbowy.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
Glad to see some activity here again!

I made a hansigurumi cuttlefish for my bestest goon buddy :3:

I can't say I really recommend it. Every bit of it was a bitch to construct and I'm pretty sure there are problems with the pattern that aren't corrected in the errata. However, I have a very short memory for pain, so I'm tempted to make another one for myself to keep.

I also made the trilobite hat from the last Knitty issue. It was a lot more fun to make, even with the bajillion tiny cables. Needs to be blocked.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I'm only just beginning my love affair with knitting, and I'm amazed and impressed with all the impressive things in this thread!

I love, love , love noro, so I'm practicing at the moment to become good enough to buy some noro to knit!

So far I've done a beanie, scarf and this little thing which is a baktus scarf:

Might have to get some more of this wool, I love green.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

meche posted:

What type of noro yarn is that? Most noro yarn is too "girly" for me to wear anything made out of it--that's definitely an exception.

In other news, I finally finished my first sweater:

It looks a little big because it's for my father, who's about an inch and a half taller than I am with much broader shoulders. I'm really pleased with how it came out though.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

meche posted:

I'm only just beginning my love affair with knitting, and I'm amazed and impressed with all the impressive things in this thread!

I love, love , love noro, so I'm practicing at the moment to become good enough to buy some noro to knit!

Oooh, I love the colors! I've got so much yarn it's ridiculous (mostly acrylic and Lion Brand wool), but this is making me want to go to the local yarn store and spend a bunch of money on more yarn.

I'm getting a little better at knitting, and just finished up Calorimetry. Next, I'm wanting to make a hooded cowl thingee, but it has to be done on either circulars or DPN's. Which are easier to use? I'm leaning towards DPN's, but I'm not sure how those will work out. Anyone have a preference?

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Circulars are easier, but DPNs are worth gaining the skills on, in my opinion. I used to have a lot of trouble with them until I switched from metal to bamboo needles and the stitches stopped dropping off the other end so easily. Once you're good at it, it's nice to have the option. I usually choose a circular if I can possibly work the stitches smoothly without straining, but DPNs otherwise because I just find magic looping annoying.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

*sweater*

Nice job! I'm trying to work up the courage to knit a sweater or shrug or some other top-like object, but haven't yet. Mostly it's the cost that's hanging me up.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Actually, that's not Noro! It's a Patons Wool, called Jet. The colour I used isn't on the page, confusingly. But if you're in Australia you can get it at any Spotlight.

I have done a bit more knitting since then: a brown beanie for the SO, and this beastie:

I love purple :3:

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
My grandmother has dropped a hint at me that she wants some new wool socks and can't find any nice ones. So now I'm feeling ambitious for Christmas and want to make her a pair on top of another of these scarves for a friend up in Alaska for Christmas, and I'm a bit of a slow knitter heh.

Any tips for first time sock knitting? Any easy way to make sock blockers w/o buying them? (this may be posted here but I missed it)

And I'm digging podcasts while I knit since I don't have much that my antenna picks up on my TV. Knitpicks podcast is fun, and a few NPRs give me a few hours a day.

and meche...I love that but what IS that?! a scarf? what did you use?

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

zamiel posted:

Any tips for first time sock knitting? Any easy way to make sock blockers w/o buying them? (this may be posted here but I missed it)

Socks confused the gently caress out of me when I did them the first time. Everytime I'd get stuck I'd set it aside for a couple months before attempting it again. And I got stuck a lot. Not trying to be discouraging, I just found it hard to get through the first one without in-person help. But, once I got through the first one, the second one was pretty easy because I had an idea of what I was doing. I highly recommend Silver's Sock Class, it's what got me through (once I started paying attention to it). I didn't make full size socks, I hybridized this with another pattern for ankle socks, and they turned out mostly okay (except when I'd forget what row of the heel I was on, or how to do the decreases in the toe).

I'm itching to start another pair of socks (I have a stockpile of sock yarn now) but need to get my gloves done first (which I just started yesterday) to that I have my DPN case empty, and need to get my lace bookmark off the needles (since I'm using those for the socks too). Too many projects.

Oh and I haven't done it, but I've seen people make sock blockers out of bent wire clothes hangers. (I don't have sock blockers of any kind yet, I think I'll have to rummage in the closet for a couple clothes hangers).

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zamiel posted:

I've heard you can use wire coathangers to make sock molds, but wait til another goon replies because I've only knitted one sock in my life and it was a disaster.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
I on the other hand had no trouble with the first pair of socks I made. The Rowans Lacy bed socks that I posted waaay back were a little bit ambitious for me at the time but it was still a pretty smooth process. It probably helped that I already knew short row shaping. Just read and follow the pattern directions closely and thread some waste yarn through a few rows as life lines in case you mess up and have to frog. Give it a shot, they're fun!

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my grandma has been encouraging me to start socks, and I finally went ahead and started a pair. It's been going well! I'm on the last part of it, the foot + toe. The "hard" parts are done.

I got this far with the help of the book that she bought me, Getting Started Knitting Socks. I find it very useful in that it shows you step-by-step all of the individual construction steps with many, many pictures. After that, you get more details on how you can change the patterns. Also, it is very detailed on measuring a foot and knowing what size of sock you should knit. It's worked great for me so far, and I hope that after I get this first sock off of the needles I can just close up a few noob-holes I made. DPNs can be tricky to keep tension between-needles, I'm finding. :)

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

You definitely can make pretty decent blockers out of wire coat hangers. But you want them to have a plastic coating. Here's a tutorial. (Super-duper easy)http://www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm

Also can make better looking ones from dollar store plastic placemats. I haven't done these ones, but I have successfully done the coat hanger ones. Here's the placemat tut. http://littlesesameknits.blogspot.com/2007/04/super-easy-diy-sock-blockers-tutorial.html

As for socks in general- ugh. Socks were why I ever picked up a needle in the first place but I just had the hardest time learning them. First everything I knitted in the round was inside out, and then no matter how hard I tugged on DPNs, I always had ladders. Now I do 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars and I freaking love it. It took a little bit of getting used to, but it's really just awesome. There's all kinds of books, tutorials and videos for this method. Google it! You won't be disappointed!

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

As for socks in general- ugh. Socks were why I ever picked up a needle in the first place but I just had the hardest time learning them. First everything I knitted in the round was inside out, and then no matter how hard I tugged on DPNs, I always had ladders. Now I do 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars and I freaking love it. It took a little bit of getting used to, but it's really just awesome. There's all kinds of books, tutorials and videos for this method. Google it! You won't be disappointed!

It's funny, I totally thought I would have a problem with ladders, but they never popped up. I read though that something you can do is move the end stitch or two back and forth from one needle to the adjacent one every few rounds to limit the ladder effect. But hey, don't need that if you have two circulars! I've though about trying that but it sounds complicated.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

ThreeFish posted:

You definitely can make pretty decent blockers out of wire coat hangers. But you want them to have a plastic coating. Here's a tutorial. (Super-duper easy)http://www.needletrax.com/blockers.htm

Also can make better looking ones from dollar store plastic placemats. I haven't done these ones, but I have successfully done the coat hanger ones. Here's the placemat tut. http://littlesesameknits.blogspot.com/2007/04/super-easy-diy-sock-blockers-tutorial.html

Everything I knit round is inside out but I haven't found it to be a problem, I just turn it rightside out after it's done :confused: Granted I haven't finished a sock yet, but I have done hats.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
How do people knit inside out? I always hear about it, but have never ended up with anything knit inside out and I can't figure out how it works one way for some people and the other way for others.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

justFaye posted:

How do people knit inside out? I always hear about it, but have never ended up with anything knit inside out and I can't figure out how it works one way for some people and the other way for others.

When I attempted my first circular project, it was inside out somehow. All subsequent projects were right-side-out though. I still don't know how I managed that...

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I attempted my first circular project with fingering yarn and size 0 dpns :suicide:

So here's some things I did recently. This is a cropped sweater I knit in one night (with bulky yarn, so it's not much of a feat) that turned out just a little bit too small for me. I can't wear it, and I don't really know what to do with it. :(

Front:

Back:

As you can see, my toe snuck in.

And this I actually "finished" on Christmas morning last year as a gift for my brother, but I was never really happy with the way it came out, so I was afraid to show it. I finally got around to fixing the major problems I had with it after stealing it back (and not doing anything with it for two months). The pattern is Mr. Edless.

Still working on the oomingmacks, they should be finished soonish.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Z Is Overrated posted:

I attempted my first circular project with fingering yarn and size 0 dpns :suicide:

So here's some things I did recently. This is a cropped sweater I knit in one night (with bulky yarn, so it's not much of a feat) that turned out just a little bit too small for me. I can't wear it, and I don't really know what to do with it. :(

Front:

Back:

As you can see, my toe snuck in.

What size is it? Would it fit a 34 inch chest? I love bulky knits!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

justFaye posted:

When you knit in the round correctly, the stitches yet to be knit for that row are behind the needle you are working on. This way, knit stitches are facing you and look like knit stitches etc. In other words, you've got the appropriate needle in front of the yet un-knit needles.

To knit inside out, you are starting at the point of the circle farthest away from you, at the top, and behind all the yet un-knit stitches. It also makes your knit stitches face you, but since all the rest of that row is in front of your needles, that makes the knit side be the interior of the tube. This is actually kind of hard to put in words!

It really isn't a problem to the finished project, like Sex Hobbit says. When you are done, you just flip it right side out and it's good to go. I knit an entire sweater inside out with no problems. But a sweater has large uninterrupted stitch patterns. When I tried to knit socks inside out, they're are small to begin with and usually have a lot of yarn overs and k2tog and ssk and I'd freak myself out because I'd see a decrease leaning that way and think- oh shouldn't that have been a k2tog to make it lean the other way? And it really was but it was inside out! It just threw me off balance too much.

There's nothing wrong with inside out knitting. Some people do it on purpose to keep the right side nice and clean. For me it was more of a mental problem. I knew I was doing something incorrectly but couldn't for the life of me figure out what. So circular projects just made me angry. I absolutely love the process of knitting, so I avoided projects in the round until I could figure out what my stupid problem was.

If you knit inside out and want to fix it, you just need to make sure the needle you are knitting is in front- the one closest to your body, not the one at the top and farthest away. If you knit inside out and don't want to fix it, that's great, too. Knitting is awesome. There's so many variations that there's rarely 2 people who knit the exact same way, yet give them the same pattern and their finished project will look almost exactly the same. <3 knitting.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007

Z Is Overrated posted:

Mr. Edless

This is awesome and you are awesome for making it. I would never, ever have the patience for it.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

ThreeFish is exactly right, and I just learned this from my grandma when I showed her my progress on my first sock. She says that there's one other lady she's seen do inside-out knitting who is in her knitting group. :) For the second sock, I'm going to try and knit right-side-out.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

zamiel posted:

and meche...I love that but what IS that?! a scarf? what did you use?

Well...yes? It's kind of a very wide/long scarf, or a not so wide shawl. I wear it around my shoulders like a shawl. It's made out of random balls of wool I've been given, bought at op/thrift shops, and some I've picked up at stores. There was no rhyme or reason to it, I just knitted what I liked! I knitted it on 12mm needles, hence the openess of it.

That bobbly/noodle wool was a pain to knit.

Z is Overrated posted:

So here's some things I did recently.

That cropped sweater is great! Did you create the pattern?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

What size is it? Would it fit a 34 inch chest? I love bulky knits!

I'm a 36, so maybe? As evidenced, though, I'm terrible at sizing. :shobon:

meche posted:

That cropped sweater is great! Did you create the pattern?

No, I adapted it from this. It's basically your standard raglan cardigan.

TauntTheOctopi posted:

This is awesome and you are awesome for making it. I would never, ever have the patience for it.

Thanks. :)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

meche posted:

Well...yes? It's kind of a very wide/long scarf, or a not so wide shawl. I wear it around my shoulders like a shawl. It's made out of random balls of wool I've been given, bought at op/thrift shops, and some I've picked up at stores. There was no rhyme or reason to it, I just knitted what I liked! I knitted it on 12mm needles, hence the openess of it.

That bobbly/noodle wool was a pain to knit.

Ahh, well it was kinda bunched up looking, so I wasn't sure exactly. :)

edit: now that I look at the picture again, I feel dense...

And thanks everyone for all the tips on the sock stuff, will be ordering my yarn and DPNs in a few weeks after our trip to a wedding. Can't wait.

zamiel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007

Z Is Overrated posted:

I'm a 36, so maybe? As evidenced, though, I'm terrible at sizing. :shobon: