Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School

Zenaida posted:

Still trying to unload the Ohlins shock I got that fits second gens:

Ohlins rear shock for 2nd Gen SV650

SU606, piggyback reservoir. Should fit any SV 2003 and up.

http://www.superbikeitalia.com/shop/details.asp?id=1320&iCat=70&iSubOne=1776

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/SU-606/

New in box, never used. Wound up with the wrong shock, I have a first gen

$800 + shipping SF Bay Area residents can arrange local pickup. Shipping weight is ~10 lbs, coming from zip code 94609, plug that and your zip code into UPS website to estimate shipping cost.

email me at thermald (at) gmail.com

Click here for the full 900x675 image.

I have this shock on my '07 and it is an amazing upgrade. This is a killer price and somebody should jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I recently bought a naked 05 SV650 and I've been riding it to work every day since. It's at about 17k miles (bought it at 16k), and I have no maintenance history, though I know the oil is clean, etc.

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a funky rattle that I can't hear so much as feel through the foot pegs and the soles of my boots. It comes on around 3-4k rpm, or during the friction zone as I begin engine breaking. Could this be due to a loose chain? I'm a maintenance noob, but the chain does feel like it's got a fair bit of play in it.

One way or another I'm planning on taking it in for a checkup next week anyway, since I'm sure it's overdue, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight before I take it to a mechanic.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

benwards posted:

I recently bought a naked 05 SV650 and I've been riding it to work every day since. It's at about 17k miles (bought it at 16k), and I have no maintenance history, though I know the oil is clean, etc.

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a funky rattle that I can't hear so much as feel through the foot pegs and the soles of my boots. It comes on around 3-4k rpm, or during the friction zone as I begin engine breaking. Could this be due to a loose chain? I'm a maintenance noob, but the chain does feel like it's got a fair bit of play in it.

One way or another I'm planning on taking it in for a checkup next week anyway, since I'm sure it's overdue, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight before I take it to a mechanic.

Had the same problem. Soon as I changed the oil it went away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yeah, first valve check is 6k miles. I agree that it's overpriced.

My 2007 manual says first valve check is 14,500 miles or 48 months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

My 2007 manual says first valve check is 14,500 miles or 48 months.

Huh. I need to dig up a gen one manual and see if it's listed at 6k or 15k. I wonder if I got bad information somewhere and just never bothered to double check it...:sigh:

benwards posted:

Have you cleaned and lubed the chain recently?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took my SV650 for the first ride today after registering it and putting plates on it. Planned on just going for a short ride then turning around and coming home. I put around 75 miles on and was gone for at least two hours. The bike feels great, it has good power, sounds pretty nice and didn't leave me stranded.

I had issues getting it into first one time when I stopped to ask where I was and how to find my way home. Took me a minute to remember that I just needed to rock it back and forth and shift down through the gears. It is going to take some time to get used to the massive amount of wind at 70mph, might throw the little joke of a wind screen on to see if it reduces it a little bit. I expected wind just didn't realize how much I guess, not a big deal though.

Now for the bad news...I dropped the bike. Leaving the apartment complex there is a slight incline to the road. I waited for traffic for a good minute then saw a gap so I tried to go and killed it. It tipped to the right and I wasn't able to catch it in time. The motosliders and my gear did its job. I wasn't hurt at all just angry at myself, the only damage the bike got was a bent brake lever and another scratch on the handlebar weight. Took me a second to figure out how to lift the thing but it wasn't too bad. I looked it over, tested the brakes and went on. I knew I was going to have something like that happen at some point just angry it was today but I guess I've done it now so I don't have to worry about it.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Huh. I need to dig up a gen one manual and see if it's listed at 6k or 15k. I wonder if I got bad information somewhere and just never bothered to double check it...:sigh:

Have you cleaned and lubed the chain recently?

I haven't yet, but I bought a can of chain lube on the way home from work today, so I expect I'll take some time on Sunday to get a little closer to my new friend. ;)

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Took my SV650 for the first ride today after registering it and putting plates on it. Planned on just going for a short ride then turning around and coming home. I put around 75 miles on and was gone for at least two hours. The bike feels great, it has good power, sounds pretty nice and didn't leave me stranded.

I had issues getting it into first one time when I stopped to ask where I was and how to find my way home. Took me a minute to remember that I just needed to rock it back and forth and shift down through the gears. It is going to take some time to get used to the massive amount of wind at 70mph, might throw the little joke of a wind screen on to see if it reduces it a little bit. I expected wind just didn't realize how much I guess, not a big deal though.
That flyscreen does more than you think it will. Put it on. I also found that the air turbulence was significantly reduced when I removed the stock mirrors and put on bar end ones.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Now for the bad news...I dropped the bike.

Welcome to the club, my friend. Be glad you did it at 0mph instead of say, 65.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Saint Melmoth posted:

That flyscreen does more than you think it will. Put it on. I also found that the air turbulence was significantly reduced when I removed the stock mirrors and put on bar end ones.

Welcome to the club, my friend. Be glad you did it at 0mph instead of say, 65.

Yeah installed the flyscreen (didn't know that's what it was called) and plan on going for a ride tomorrow morning. In a way I am almost relieved I dropped it because now I am not constantly worried about dropping the bike and was a lot more relaxed after it. I'm sure I'll have a drop at speed some day, I just hope its a simple low side with plenty of run off and not too much traffic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeah installed the flyscreen (didn't know that's what it was called) and plan on going for a ride tomorrow morning. In a way I am almost relieved I dropped it because now I am not constantly worried about dropping the bike and was a lot more relaxed after it. I'm sure I'll have a drop at speed some day, I just hope its a simple low side with plenty of run off and not too much traffic.

Glad to hear you first drop happened and was uneventful. Crashing isn't a guaranty, keep your head about you and watch out for all of the idiots and you'll be fine :)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had issues getting it into first one time when I stopped to ask where I was and how to find my way home. Took me a minute to remember that I just needed to rock it back and forth and shift down through the gears.

This is why you should downshift when you're coming to a stop, dont clutch in and coast to a halt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

echomadman posted:

This is why you should downshift when you're coming to a stop, don't clutch in and coast to a halt.

I have been doing that but this was a more unplanned stop. Was completely lost (on purpose) and it was starting to get dark so I saw a gas station as I rounded a corner and wanted to figure out where I was. Just got back from a morning ride and picked up ear plugs which I actually like because it helps me stay relaxed and focus on things other than how sweet the bike sounds.

Also the flyscreen helps a bit, especially if I tuck down a bit on the interstate. On the shifting and stopping I usually downshift to engine brake, drag the rear brakes a bit and use the front brakes.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 12, 2009

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

echomadman posted:

This is why you should downshift when you're coming to a stop, dont clutch in and coast to a halt.

Good advice. I would add, trail the rear brake when doing engine breaking like this. It'll give you some more breaking and, more importantly, light your brake light so cagers will be marginally less likely to run over you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had issues getting it into first one time when I stopped to ask where I was and how to find my way home. Took me a minute to remember that I just needed to rock it back and forth and shift down through the gears.
The other way to get it into gear when this happens is to lightly press down on the shifter and lightly let off the clutch. It should pop right in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Met up with a bunch of the guys from SVRider for a maintenance day. Really friendly crew!

Bunch of girl bikes ITT

I didn't have anything to do, so I put some air in my tires and stuck my tax sticker on the fork. Whee.

Naturally, on the way back, my clutch started binding so I gotta figure that out tomorrow.

EDIT: Loosened the bolt for the lever and it works fine now.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 13, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Went on a group ride today with a few people from the East TN Riders group. Had a great time and the bike performed flawless. I did have on issues though. When I got home and opened the little storage space I noticed there was a hole in the bottom. Turns out at some point on the way home (on the interstate) the whole under tail plastics along with my license plate fell off.

Looking under there it looks like the previous owner had some issues with it because there are about 25 holes on either side with a bunch of mismatched screws. So now I need to figure out a replacement for that as well as get a new plate. Does anyone know a reasonably priced under tail fender?

Was looking forward to driving to work on the bike tomorrow but now it looks like that won't happen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Where are you located? I think I've got one in the garage that you could have for shipping. But I'm not sure if it's the part you need...do you have a picture of it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? I think I've got one in the garage that you could have for shipping. But I'm not sure if it's the part you need...do you have a picture of it?

I'm in Knoxville, going to go re-drive the route a few times in the truck and see if I can spot it. Problem is I'm not sure if its the stock piece because the previous owner installed a fender eliminator so it has everything in one light.

The stock one looks like this but I know mine didn't have all the mounting stuff for the lights or anything as large for the plate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'll grab a pic of what I have in the garage, if you need it, it's yours.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

So I cleaned and lubed the chain today, and I think my rattling issue has been resolved. I tried to tighten the chain too, as I found about 1.8 inches of travel, but after adjusting the tightening bolts and putting everything back together, I found that the chain was still loose! I didn't have the energy to do it all again (not to mention that I don't have another cotter pin just sitting around), so that's a "some time this week" project.

New question: I want a rear stand to make chain maintenance easier in the future. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm starting to think about upgrading from the stock exhaust. I know next to nothing about this, though, and I'd love to hear tips, experiences, and recommendations.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

benwards posted:

New question: I want a rear stand to make chain maintenance easier in the future. Any recommendations?

I've used a number of different stands and they've all seemed pretty lousy compared to the pitbull stands I've used. You can pick up a used one on CL for ~$100 around here.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

If you have the scratch just get the Pitbull, at least for peace of mind. DietCokeFiend (it was his right?) had a lovely Harbor Freight stand collapse.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

jdonz posted:

If you have the scratch just get the Pitbull, at least for peace of mind. DietCokeFiend (it was his right?) had a lovely Harbor Freight stand collapse.

Hahaha yea that was mine. loving POS bent after a few uses and the poor sv650 handlebar made sweet sweet love to a cooler that broke its fall. I was lucky only getting a small nick on my clutch cover and nothing else. Dont make the same mistake :[

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Pitbull it is. Do I need a spooled stand or the other type?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Do you have spools on your swingarm?

You can get a stand that does both:

http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBMSA&Product_Code=F0028-000&Category_Code=rear_stands

Swingarm spools are pretty cheap and super handy, I'd recommend them.

Edit: Spools are here: http://www.newenoughhp.com/parts/swingarm_spools/vortex_racing/swingarm_spools_suzuki.html I'm not sure if the thread size changes between generations. I have a second gen and mine are 8mm.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 15, 2009

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Oh, I see, I thought it was something intrinsic to the swingarm. No, I don't have spools, so standard it is!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You should have a tapped hole on either side of your swingarm that will accept a spool, fyi.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

benwards posted:

Also, I'm starting to think about upgrading from the stock exhaust.

I am very happy with the Delkivich SS standard length slip on I bought last week. Very easy to install, inexpensive, looks and sounds great. I like that I can put in the DB killer and have a quite bike and it's not that loud with it out. That said you have a lot of options.

What kind of fly screen is on the red and blue bikes in Endless Mike's post? Can I get one with to match my bikes silver color or did those get painted?

Also I just installed Napoleon bar end mirrors and love them. Not only do they look look much better but I can see behind me now, not just my elbows!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

You should have a tapped hole on either side of your swingarm that will accept a spool, fyi.

SVs (at least first gens) don't have them stock. You can usually get them welded on for cheap though.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Z3n posted:

SVs (at least first gens) don't have them stock. You can usually get them welded on for cheap though.

My 07 had tabs with holes already, I think they were M10 threads.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You sure about that, Zen? I'm looking back through Totalmotorcycle's archives and it looks like the first-gens all have them, on the bottom of the swingarm and forward of the axle

Fake edit: circled in red here; can't tell if it's tapped though obv.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

You sure about that, Zen? I'm looking back through Totalmotorcycle's archives and it looks like the first-gens all have them, on the bottom of the swingarm and forward of the axle

Huh, weird...I could have sworn my first SV didn't have them at all, and I've bought the occasional swingarm without them. But it seems that they did come with them stock. My mistake. It seems that I need to start double checking myself, haha.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Where can I get a flyscreen like the ones on the 05+ 650n for my 03?
I never see them being sold in a part out or even mentioned anywhere

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

mine does, its an svs though not a naked

Phy posted:

its an 8mm thread

echomadman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 15, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Where can I get a flyscreen like the ones on the 05+ 650n for my 03?
I never see them being sold in a part out or even mentioned anywhere

Oneidasuzuki.com has all the parts (which means any Zuki dealer can get them for you). Search for SV650 headlamp and they're all there, alhough not necessarily in your bike's color and not very cheap.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Huh, weird...I could have sworn my first SV didn't have them at all, and I've bought the occasional swingarm without them. But it seems that they did come with them stock. My mistake. It seems that I need to start double checking myself, haha.

My 1999 naked has them. Doesn't look like they were welded on aftermarket either.

Edit: Motosliders in there and in the normal slider spot.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 18, 2009

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

My 1999 naked has them. Doesn't look like they were welded on aftermarket either.

My '07 had holes already tapped for spools (I have the MotoSliders ones).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So,

After riding my Ninja 500R for a few weeks now as a beginner, I'm already planning on getting a SV this spring/summer. A few questions:

I'm now accustomed to the heavy brake dive on my Ninja and how long it takes to brake (just ok). How is the SV in comparison, when braking hard? And with a passenger? With a passenger, there's a huge dive on my Ninja, and I don't like it when they dig into my back. I know that SV's have two front brake discs, and I'm wondering about the difference.

How is the torque, for traffic? On my Ninja, it's middling performance until I hit 6-7k rpm. Is there an immense difference? Can you describe what it's like, to a bike noob? How jerky is the bike?

Looking forward to joining the Sv army. :)

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
If your pillion's hitting your back when you brake, you're not doing it properly. It's a combination of informing them you're about to brake (educating them to pick up cues) and braking more gradually than normal so the weight transfer isn't as drastic and they don't shoot forward.

Also, heavy brake dive is more a combination of lovely braking and lovely front suspension. If you're grabbing a handful of front brake then you're going to rapidly transfer all the weight forward and the forks will dive. Likewise, if the front suspension isn't right for your weight or is just knackered with age then it'll compress far more than it should. You should also be using the rear brake a little when coming to a stop because it'll dig the rear tyre into the ground and reduce the load on the front suspension.

Anyway, the SV's brakes are adequate - not enough for one finger stoppies but perfect for average riders. Curvy SVs benefit from braided hoses if the original rubber ones are still on: it'll restore a little more braking power. You'll have more engine braking with the SV than a Ninja too. The stock suspension is shite though, usually set up for an 8 stone Japanese featherweight, which means there's a lot of fork dive under heavy braking unless you overhaul it - just replacing the springs with stiffer ones and heavier fork oil is enough for most people.

Torque is very much at the low end of the rev range - it'll pull and pull from idle to 7K. No jerkiness unless you're hamfisted with your gear changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Does anyone have a stock seat that would fit a 99 naked they would sell? I love my Corbin but it is a little wider than stock from what I have heard. I'm short so this results in me on my tip toes. I would like to get a used stock seat and shave it down a ways to see if I can make it fit me better.

Still don't have a replacement plate for my bike. Turns out you need to file a police report, I've been on hold for an hour and a half this morning and about 4 hours over the past few days. I just want to ride my bike :(

• Locked thread