Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof

HolySwissCheese posted:

Doesn't each iPhone need to be paired with the iTunes via a verification key that iTunes randomly generates?

This is definitely the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Carthag posted:

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the old ones and naming the new ones the exact same filename/path, then launching iTunes. It should think the new ones are the old ones.

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the NEW ones. Don't delete the ones with the info you want to keep.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

VanguardTruth posted:

This is definitely the case.

Pretty sure if you go in to iTunes DJ and hit settings you can allow guests to add stuff without pairing. This is what he's talking about.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

89 posted:

So, I had this idea for this bar I have a hand in with iTunes. Basically, I wanted to create a library of songs for the place on iTunes, but then allow customers to request songs via Remote on the iPhone and allow voting and such.

However, the fact that there is limitless requests means that somebody could basically take over the playlist entirely for the next few hours if they wanted to in a matter of couple of minutes since you could then just queue up entire albums or however many songs you wanted.

Is there ANY WAY to limit how many songs you can request or possibly how many songs in a certain time frame? If so, I think this could be a neat idea for a bar (andacheapwayofnothavingtobuyajukebox*cough*)

Well whoever is running iTunes still has power over what gets played, so if something comes up that no one wants to hear over and over, you can take those songs out of the mix.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

~Coxy posted:

I think you go into services.msc and disable the service, it's called iTunes Helper or iPod Helper or something like that.

I tried disabling iPodService.exe and iTunes still launches itself. I see I'm running a process called iTunesHelper.exe too, but I see no option to disable it in services.msc

Any suggestions? I googled, apparently just deleting iTunesHelper.exe will cause iTunes to reinstall it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I looked in my msconfig and iTunesHelper runs as a StartupItem. I have mine unchecked (but no iPod), try unchecking it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

IUG posted:

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the NEW ones. Don't delete the ones with the info you want to keep.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear, not from the library, the actual files. If you replace a file with a new one in the file system, iTunes will pick that one up instead.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Carthag posted:

Sorry, I was a bit unclear, not from the library, the actual files. If you replace a file with a new one in the file system, iTunes will pick that one up instead.
Ah... I was wondering why it wasn't working.
In the end I went the long way around and just imported them, named the artist Beatles Remasted, then manually edited the ratings (sort by number of stars, playcounts)... I don't care too much and it did work in the end. Took about 45 minutes maybe.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
iTunes 9 still doesn't export sorting information when sharing libraries. I have my Macbook set up to share iTunes to a Vista 64 PC. I double click on a song listing to play it... and all of a sudden it warps to another place in the library.

Dangit, Apple. :(

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
So apparently itunes 9.0 has a watch folder:

Anything that gets put inside a folder named "Automatically Add to iTunes" in your iTunes Music folder automatically gets imported to iTunes now! :D

Kyon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 11, 2009

Rison
Apr 17, 2001
Just another retarded strawberry pancake
Is there a (Windows) shortcut for canceling your current search filter when browsing iTunes? I'm talking about the equivalent of hitting the little x in the top right search box.

PS: Folder watch is the poo poo (if you are willing to let iTunes take over your folder structure).

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
it's a nice step, but christ why can't I just have an option to watch whatever folder I want?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lamech posted:

it's a nice step, but christ why can't I just have an option to watch whatever folder I want?
If you're watching folders you're not buying music from iTunes Music Store™. You should really be buying all your music through the iTunes Music Store™.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

xamphear posted:

If you're watching folders you're not buying music from iTunes Music Store™. You should really be buying all your music through the iTunes Music Store™.

yeah yeah I know, it's just :( They were ALMOST there..

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lamech posted:

yeah yeah I know, it's just :( They were ALMOST there..

What's the specific issue? Most torrent apps can move stuff upon completion, you can have folder actions drop stuff in the watched folder, etc...

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Carthag posted:

What's the specific issue? Most torrent apps can move stuff upon completion, you can have folder actions drop stuff in the watched folder, etc...

Why would you want to watch another folder?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Personally I wouldn't watch any folders and I probably won't use the watch folder when I upgrade to iTunes 9. I'm just trying to offer some solutions.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Carthag posted:

Personally I wouldn't watch any folders and I probably won't use the watch folder when I upgrade to iTunes 9. I'm just trying to offer some solutions.

I'm kidding; that's the typical response whenever someone doesn't like an Apple design flaw.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Lamech posted:

I'd say potential security issue (watching a folder and have objects created in it automatically get dropped into the library? Sounds like an attack vector!). Although, creating a centralized location to attack now makes it less secure in many respects, isolating it to one folder (that's probably going to shift around more as people put libraries in different paths) instead of possibly letting users add folders to watch just might be a fair compromise. Merely having a call to add a new watch folder could get exploited given Apple's security record, so they played it safe while adding this very asked-for feature I'd say.

I'm mostly excited about being able to transfer music between libraries now though. Too bad precisely the day before iTunes 9 showed up was when I had to manually transfer 8GB of music between two disparate libraries...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet that iTunes 9 allows for more complex criteria for smart playlists. Just use the new ellipses button to add nestable groups of criteria.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet that iTunes 9 allows for more complex criteria for smart playlists. Just use the new ellipses button to add nestable groups of criteria.

Oooo, I'm going to have to update now then.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I'd say potential security issue (watching a folder and have objects created in it automatically get dropped into the library? Sounds like an attack vector!).

Do you know what you're talking about or are you just guessing here?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oh no, malware will be added to my iTunes Library.

WTF?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Those nested rules in Smart Playlists are going to help out a lot. I already managed to fix one of my problems with playlists.

I have this playlist, but because I want it to only list videos I haven't watched, the rules forced me to place this playlist in this folder, and use these rules:

Placed in that folder, and it would negate itself and break if you selected the video folder. You couldn't make it match "Any" of the rules, otherwise everything with zero playcount, movies and music alike, would be in there.

Now:

You can do an "Any" rule inside of an "All" rule. So now I can include all of those playlists, and have a zero playcount. Also, it can be put into the video playlist, where it makes more sense.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I have to admit, I'm more interested in how you're getting Zero Punctuation in iTunes than the smart playlist listing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Terpfen posted:

I have to admit, I'm more interested in how you're getting Zero Punctuation in iTunes than the smart playlist listing.

I go to the site, let everything load but the video. Then I go into my user folder in Finder, then go to /Library/Caches/Camino/Cache/ and sort it by date modified. I then load the video, pause it as soon as it starts to play, and watch that folder in the finder. When the video is done I have a file that is about 12 megs or so. I copy that to the desktop, rename it with an extension of ".flv". Open it in Quicktime, export it to the iPod format, and then add it to iTunes.

This also works with YouTube, the videos on here, or pretty much almost any flash video file.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Is there a way to keep my Music on an external drive but have podcasts download to my internal drive--without using two separate libraries?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alright, nested rules! That's what I've been waiting for since they put that in spotlight. Looks like I'm updating after all.

IUG posted:

This also works with YouTube, the videos on here, or pretty much almost any flash video file.

In Safari you can copy the url in the activity window to the downloads window.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm having an odd issue with older DRM encrypted files.

I've authenticated my computer with iTMS, and the computer shows up as being authenticated (get the "This computer is already authenticated" dialog). When I go to play some older DRM "protected AAC file" music, I am prompted for my credentials. When I enter them, iTunes repeats "this computer is already authenticated" and kicks me back to the music list. If I try to play on the music now, I'm still prompted for authentication. Endless loop.

I've tried downloading the iTunes free single of the week to reset my DRM, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Any recommendations before I start emailing Apple support? I'm only talking 5-10 songs here since I'm not a heavy user, but it's annoying not having access to something I paid for.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Martytoof posted:

I'm having an odd issue with older DRM encrypted files.

I've authenticated my computer with iTMS, and the computer shows up as being authenticated (get the "This computer is already authenticated" dialog). When I go to play some older DRM "protected AAC file" music, I am prompted for my credentials. When I enter them, iTunes repeats "this computer is already authenticated" and kicks me back to the music list. If I try to play on the music now, I'm still prompted for authentication. Endless loop.

I've tried downloading the iTunes free single of the week to reset my DRM, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Any recommendations before I start emailing Apple support? I'm only talking 5-10 songs here since I'm not a heavy user, but it's annoying not having access to something I paid for.

I had that exact problem (although with some Apps that I was trying to copy to my Touch). That was on the night the 3GS launched here, so I figured the servers were busy, cause it went away later on. Might just be temporary server load? But yeah if it persists you should probably contact Apple.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I think it'll come down to that because it's still happening over the span of like four days. Today was just the day I decided to actually post about it :(

I should clarify that newer non-DRM itunes downloads play just fine -- probably because, as the name suggests, they're non-DRM :v:

At least it means iTunes recognizes my account as valid for downloading, just not for playing my old DRM :(

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Encoding/database question.

I've got an album in MP3 format that I ripped myself a while back. Now I'd like to re-rip the album into Apple Lossless, but I'd like to do this while preserving my song ratings and play counts while also deleting the current MP3s from my library.

How can I do this?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Genius mixes... Arrrrgh!

Most of the ones it came up with aren't that bad, beyond reminding me that I really need to fix genre tags, but there are a few that are just bizarre. Like one that plays grunge, 90's rock, and an ambient album from 2005. Is there no way to influence the mixes?

Also, the names it comes up with are godawful and you can't change them, although that might just be my poor genre tags.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Carthag posted:

In Safari you can copy the url in the activity window to the downloads window.

Getting offtopic, but I find keepvid.com to be easier than digging through the 50+ page resources listed in the Activities window. Also, I assume you know but in case you don't, youtube vids are already available in iTunes/iPod-friendly h264 format (.mp4) so if you've been downloading the .flv there and transcoding, save yourself some time. Keepvid will link you to the .mp4 and any other options that are available for any particular youtube vid.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

thelightguy posted:

Genius mixes... Arrrrgh!

Most of the ones it came up with aren't that bad, beyond reminding me that I really need to fix genre tags, but there are a few that are just bizarre. Like one that plays grunge, 90's rock, and an ambient album from 2005. Is there no way to influence the mixes?

Also, the names it comes up with are godawful and you can't change them, although that might just be my poor genre tags.
I think he creates different ones when you reload all genius data.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Encoding/database question.

I've got an album in MP3 format that I ripped myself a while back. Now I'd like to re-rip the album into Apple Lossless, but I'd like to do this while preserving my song ratings and play counts while also deleting the current MP3s from my library.

How can I do this?

Insert disk, import. You'll get a warning that it'll replace the files. The information will be saved. However, if the Artist/Album/Title/Track Number don't match, then you're going to be importing a whole new file, and have duplicates. That warning message is something you want.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I got really excited hearing about the Home Sharing feature but I'm reading another article right now and it says that Home Sharing only works for tracks purchased on the iTunes Store. Is that true? Because meh, talk about going from 12 to 6 in a few seconds.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ziir posted:

I got really excited hearing about the Home Sharing feature but I'm reading another article right now and it says that Home Sharing only works for tracks purchased on the iTunes Store. Is that true? Because meh, talk about going from 12 to 6 in a few seconds.

quote:

HT3819 Says
You can still manually transfer iTunes Store and other content between Home Shares.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Ziir posted:

not true; i used it to duplicate my entire library from laptop to server 2 days ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
When I try to log in to Home Sharing it says my account is not authorized for homesharing on this computer. It's the only account I've ever used and it still works for the iTunes store. The hell?