Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vyse_23 posted:

From what I've heard, the second half of it was completely unvoiced in the English release.

Also, didn't it have a completely different battle system? I haven't heard much about it that recommends playing it. v:confused:v
It had a somewhat more old-fashioned battle system, and Senel had throws, which were kind of their own thing. I loved it myself, both halves, but I played it in Japanese, where the voices were pretty good. I especially liked Norma.

But yeah, even leaving out the voices, I may have been the only one who liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I thought what little I played so far was OK. For some reason I started Chapter 2 and then just stopped playing. I should start again. I thought Legendia had a really nice presentation too, at least menu-wise. Also learning some artes was kind of awkward since you had to not only grind levels and arte counts but also grind on certain enemies to get stones to "unlock" the more advanced artes too.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Say what everybody (myself included) about Legendia, it had some pretty drat impressive music. It was a real departure from what previous games had for a soundtrack and it worked quite well. It's just too bad that everything else was god awful.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Karol should've gotten Anise's outfit. :v:

But in all seriousness, is Estelle's outfit from another Tales or is that brand new?

I actually thought Karol would get a Presea outfit. I mean, they both wield enormous axes/swords, so why not? If anything Flynn should've gotten the Lloyd costume.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For all I know there are multiple costumes from previous games. I didn't think Presair's clothes were particularly distinctive though.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

This is starting to look really unfair to those who bought the 360 version, especially in Europe since it was just released a couple of months ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eddain posted:

If anything Flynn should've gotten the Lloyd costume.

Flynn should have Guy's outfit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Was Tales of Legendia really that forgettable?
Well, the most stand out part of her outfit is the hat (which Estelle is missing.)

I know the extra character is likely out of the question but I hope Namco can at least provide the costumes, dungeons, etc. as DLC for the 360 release.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, the most stand out part of her outfit is the hat (which Estelle is missing.)

I know the extra character is likely out of the question but I hope Namco can at least provide the costumes, dungeons, etc. as DLC for the 360 release.
I doubt it, it didn't happen that way with Eternal Sonata or any of the other (few) 360 RPGs that were later released on the PS3, right?

edit: is the Tales market in the US big enough to justify any additional expenditure on the 360? Because the 360 market in Japan probably isn't big enough to justify it over there, no matter how big the Tales market is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt it, it didn't happen that way with Eternal Sonata or any of the other (few) 360 RPGs that were later released on the PS3, right?

I guess the best we can hope for is a director's cut but I doubt we'll get that either. Heck, we don't even know IF the PS3 version's really coming stateside yet.

EDIT: SS, I doubt it would take much for Namco to add the new content to the 360 version and re-release it, if they chose to do so. Remember, this is the game that actually sold 360s over there. Namco's alienating a good chunk of their fandom by making it look like 360 users were "beta testing" for a superior PS3 release.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 11, 2009

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just went back to look at the costume picture and realized that I'd managed to miss that Patty is Anise.

Now, I know he's mostly blocked by Patty, but does anyone know who Yuri is supposed to be?

VVV No wonder I didn't recognize him. Yet another game I'll probably never get to play.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 11, 2009

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Judas from Tales of Destiny 2 (the Japanese only one) AKA Leon from Tales of Destiny

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It had a somewhat more old-fashioned battle system, and Senel had throws, which were kind of their own thing. I loved it myself, both halves, but I played it in Japanese, where the voices were pretty good. I especially liked Norma.

But yeah, even leaving out the voices, I may have been the only one who liked it.

How could you like the second half of Legendia? The first half wasn't too bad, but the second half was essentially, "Hey, let's have loving depressing things happen to every character!" I actively hated most of Legendia's cast and it was still pretty depressing, I can't imagine that somebody who liked the characters would enjoy the second half.

I really gave that game a lot of chances because I enjoyed Symphonia so much. I didn't realize until just now how much I hated it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mokinokaro posted:

You can see Estelle is wearing the hat. It's the blue thing on top of her head that gets cut out of the picture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WingsOfSteel posted:

How could you like the second half of Legendia? The first half wasn't too bad, but the second half was essentially, "Hey, let's have loving depressing things happen to every character!" I actively hated most of Legendia's cast and it was still pretty depressing, I can't imagine that somebody who liked the characters would enjoy the second half.

I really gave that game a lot of chances because I enjoyed Symphonia so much. I didn't realize until just now how much I hated it.
I dunno, all I can say is that I have played every Tales game and I'd put Legendia in the third quartile, probably. Especially Chloe's story in the second half really got to me.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
I just got a copy of Legendia, just to see if it's as horrible as most people say. Gonna play the poo poo out of it tonight and give my perspective of it later.

I loved the gently caress out of Abyss and Vesperia, and I'm trying my damnedest to find Symphonia somewhere.

What would be the best way to get a hold a copy of Phantasia? GBA, I assume? :effort: I'd like to get a hold of what actually started the series.

Also:

Is it just me or does Yuri break a lot of JRPG cliches? (especially within the tales series itself.)

- He keeps a level head throughout the entire game (breaking tradition from the 'Dumb Protagonist' trope.)
- He is indignant to the antagonists of the game (breaking tradition of the "oh hey we shouldn't kill you then we'd be the bad guys" cliche.)
- Isn't annoying.
- Doesn't have the Demon Fang arte (holy poo poo, the main projectile attack is called something else.) :dance:
- Seems to hate stupidity himself. (noted by the way he is sarcastic to Raven and calls Duke out for being genocidal.)

Koguma fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 12, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I can't wait to try Yuri out. He does seem like he's on the pretty far beyond the meager variability that is normally allowed in JRPG leads.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I can't wait to try Yuri out. He does seem like he's on the pretty far beyond the meager variability that is normally allowed in JRPG leads.

That's why he's number 1.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

TechnoRobot posted:

What would be the best way to get a hold a copy of Phantasia? GBA, I assume? :effort: I'd like to get a hold of what actually started the series.
The best way is through emulation. The GBA version of Phantasia is terrible. The definitive version of Phantasia is probably the recently fan-translated PSX version, though if you don't want to use that for some reason, the SNES version is quite decent (its the one everyone has played).

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2009

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TechnoRobot posted:

Is it just me or does Yuri break a lot of JRPG cliches? (especially within the tales series itself.)

Vesperia in general's pretty good at that. Even the characters that seem pretty shallow and cliche at first have a lot of depth to them. Yuri just makes it obvious from the get go.

It's rare for me to find a Tales of game where there isn't a single player character I don't want fed to a tree shredder. Abyss wasn't too bad either, except for some parts with Luke.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mokinokaro posted:

Vesperia in general's pretty good at that. Even the characters that seem pretty shallow and cliche at first have a lot of depth to them. Yuri just makes it obvious from the get go.

It's rare for me to find a Tales of game where there isn't a single player character I don't want fed to a tree shredder. Abyss wasn't too bad either, except for some parts with Luke.

I don't really dislike anyone in Vesperia. In Symphonia, I loving hated Collette.

Vesperia is so great because it doesn't fall into most of the cliches. I'm so glad it isn't another Xenosaga/FFX/Symphonia clone story.

EDIT: also the game has an unhealthy obsession with mustaches. And Repede.

Oh drat it apparently I was supposed to turn to Karolian Hammer into a Karolian Hammer +1 before turning it into a Karolian Sword. drat you game!!! Now I will have to complete my Collector's book on the next playthrough.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 12, 2009

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bah, Rita's the best character in the game. She manages to be a brat and not a bit annoying. Very hard to pull off.

Judith's also great too, but most of the reasons are spoilers. I was afraid she was going to turn out as a bit of an axe crazy Colette at first, but there's definitely more to her.

And Estelle. Estelle thankfully also doesn't fall into being another Collette. Plus it was nice to see another female healer whose also a decent fighter. She reminds me of Farah from Eternia (except Farah was much more broken.)

Bah, who am I kidding? They're all great. Too bad the bits I've seen of Patty make her seem like a very annoying version of Anise.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Salt Block Party posted:

The best way is through emulation. The GBA version of Phantasia is terrible. The definitive version of Phantasia is probably the recently fan-translated PSX version, though if you don't want to use that for some reason, the SNES version is about the same.

Word, I'll try to find it or somethin'.

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, a few things I pointed out:

- Estelle followed the "secret princess" cliche. I saw it coming during my first playthrough. I mean, room in the castle, and elegant speech and among other things
- Judith kinda falls into a "amazon chick" kinda trope, but she pulls it off and doesn't disappoint. I found most of the skits containing her were actually humorous. "I didn't say anything about boobs."
- Karol I could not stand. What. So. Ever. I never used him because I hated he slow he was compared to everyone else. I put him in for the secret missions and that's about it. The voice actor pulls off a good "annoying kid" though.

As for Abyss, I'd have to say the 3rd part of the game was where I got fed up with Luke.
Anise is the "annoying kid" of that game.
Everyone else I have no problem with. (Jade is awesome.)

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't really dislike anyone in Vesperia. In Symphonia, I loving hated Collette.

Vesperia is so great because it doesn't fall into most of the cliches. I'm so glad it isn't another Xenosaga/FFX/Symphonia clone story.

EDIT: also the game has an unhealthy obsession with mustaches. And Repede.

It was hilarious how the game kept messing with Karol. Dressing him up as a girl, giving him silly attachments, making him the Warehouse Master.

And Repede is just inherently awesome. Haven't you seen the new costumes and attachments he's getting in the PS3 version?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Estelle's secret identity wasn't even that, though. I mean her reveal scene was basically:

Estelle: Everyone I have a secret I am a princess.

Everyone (except Karol): Well yeah, doy.

Karol: OMIGAWWWD REALLY!?

I did like Karol though, because every time he tried to act like the stereotypical kid character the game poo poo all over him for it. Combat-wise he was slow, true, but the bottomless supply of tools he carried around gave him a lot more variety than, say, Presea.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Karol is cool by me because he is pretty much the fantasy-world version of Rudy.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Slio9 posted:

Say what everybody (myself included) about Legendia, it had some pretty drat impressive music. It was a real departure from what previous games had for a soundtrack and it worked quite well. It's just too bad that everything else was god awful.

I met the guy who composed for Legendia after a concert and brought my copy of the game to sign, and he seemed shocked that I'd even heard about the game much less bought it :v:

But yeah I think I'd managed to block the character design out of my memory, as I didn't recognise the costume at first glance either.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Toss me into the crowd who liked Karol. I didn't find him annoying and I immediately enjoyed his character due to his love of carrying over-the-top weapons to show that he was a manly man.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In Symphonia, I loving hated Collette.

This. I didn't care for her either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yuri and Rita continually dual in my head for my favorite. It helps that they're also my favorites in combat. Neither should ever leave your active party unless the plot forces them out.

Estelle is definitely less annoying than Colette (who is at her best when she can't talk), but is completely incompetent at healing.

Karol may be annoying in cutscenes, but he's a fantastic healer before you get his altered artes.

I quite enjoy having Repede in my party because he's so. drat. FAST.

I would use Judith if I wanted to spend the time to learn how to use her, but on AI she screws up Yuri's combos and that's not cool.

Raven isn't specialized enough for my tastes. He's and okay physical attacker, but Yuri's better. He can cast some damaging spells, but he can't match Rita. He can eventually heal, but at best he's a backup healer. Also, I don't think he's as awesome as everyone else seems to.

I will never ever use Patty, unless I'm completely forced to. I'm still not convinced that any party configuration is better than Yuri/Rita/Repede/healer.

Jade was completely awesome. He and Guy are the main reasons I'm still playing Abyss. Luke got better, but he's still not Yuri.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TechnoRobot posted:

Word, I'll try to find it or somethin'.

Well, a few things I pointed out:

- Estelle followed the "secret princess" cliche. I saw it coming during my first playthrough. I mean, room in the castle, and elegant speech and among other things
- Judith kinda falls into a "amazon chick" kinda trope, but she pulls it off and doesn't disappoint. I found most of the skits containing her were actually humorous. "I didn't say anything about boobs."
- Karol I could not stand. What. So. Ever. I never used him because I hated he slow he was compared to everyone else. I put him in for the secret missions and that's about it. The voice actor pulls off a good "annoying kid" though.

As said, Estelle was a Secret Princess about as much as Yuri was a Whiny Protagonist, which is none.
Judith's case is funny, because she's the only warrior out of her tribe, which consists of a bunch of slightly loopy and eccentric scholars. People even comment on how bloodthirsty she gets during battles.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This is kind of an outsider looking in comment, from someone who has only played the PS3 demo off the Japanese PSN, but I actually had a lot of trouble playing as Yuri, but a really easy time playing as Patty. Likely because of the entire Japanese part so I didn't know how to set up his skills or anything, but hey what can you do.

But on a topic I DO know something about!

The fan translation of Phantasia is indeed excellent. It even lets you see the skits fully voiced and everything which is a real treat. I was playing it a while ago but then I got up to Gnome and I just. Cried a little and stopped.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I dislike using Judith (in Vesperia) in battles because I find her aerial combo gimmick to be sort of stilted at the moment. She doesn't have many artes at the point I'm at either. Not like she can learn any more considering she isn't in my party at the moment. I'm sure it'll get better as she levels up.

quote:

- Doesn't have the Demon Fang arte (holy poo poo, the main projectile attack is called something else.)

And even that has gotten its fair share of use over the series, mostly in the Japan-only games. I'm fairly sure at least one character in the Tales series has both it AND Demon Fang, as if one of those wasn't enough.

In othe fan translation news the translation for Tales of Innocence is ploughing steadliy on. The authors have gotten about 150 of the skits translated, with 300 left to go. The most recent update has a video showing off the translated menus. The naming convention thing from his ToP translation remains, which I thought was a neat feature.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 12, 2009

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Playing as Judith is the most fun I've had fighting in a Tales game, but you do need to equip about 5000 abilities at once just to be able to do proper aerial combos and it doesn't leave you much room for other stuff.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
I just finished Abyss for the first time (couldn't beat the big optional boss, so I decided to just finish it), and I have to say, that is one of the more satisfying ends to an RPG that I've seen lately. The ending didn't feel forced, even though it was in many ways a cliche. I just wish they'd gone into some sort of explanation as to what happens to Asch, especially after showing Luke getting his body and such. I suppose he's just up orbiting the planet now or something.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TechnoRobot posted:

Thats what I thought at first until he went all :zoro:

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Zelmel posted:

I just finished Abyss for the first time (couldn't beat the big optional boss, so I decided to just finish it), and I have to say, that is one of the more satisfying ends to an RPG that I've seen lately. The ending didn't feel forced, even though it was in many ways a cliche. I just wish they'd gone into some sort of explanation as to what happens to Asch, especially after showing Luke getting his body and such. I suppose he's just up orbiting the planet now or something.

Yes, but alas, instead of doing that, they make you figure it out through a poo poo ton of sidequests that are completely obscure :downsgun: and easily missable, and also, to not disappoint fans of Asch. But we all know deep down who it's supposed to be at the end.

EDIT: As for Karol it's not that I minded his character, it's just that I never liked how he was played.

I usually kept Yuri, Estelle, Raven/Judith, and Rita the entire game.

Koguma fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 12, 2009

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
A little more snippets of Tales of Graces info, thanks to someone on the official Tales boards, which have only recently come back up and somehow have stayed up:

-Techniques are referred to as Kijutsu(or Solder techniques), different from the rest of the games. Could mean a different name for the English version (if one happens) too.
-Marik's secondary style revolved around element-enhanced physical attack.
-The cooking system uses the Arles Pot, like I mentioned before. You can either prepare food in the menu or set it to instantly make meals or items once certain conditions are met, and it can be used in the middle of battles.
-Artes can be learned through the title system. Titles have artes set to them, and once you "master" the artes you can use them independantly of the title set. Titles also have their own effects, which can be used only when they're equipped. Artes may be upgradable too.

Also, have some more screenshots:

Dengeki has more.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 12, 2009

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I know it's a jrpg, but the main characters clothes in Graces are hilarious. And don't get me started on purple pigtails lady. The new titles system sounds awesome though, they better confirm this for NA soon!

Nefarious Asparagus
Aug 7, 2009

Indubitably, old bean.

Vyse_23 posted:

Raven isn't specialized enough for my tastes. He's and okay physical attacker, but Yuri's better. He can cast some damaging spells, but he can't match Rita. He can eventually heal, but at best he's a backup healer.

Really? I found him a superior healer to both Estelle and Karol, actually. Unlike Estelle, he actually heals you when you need to be healed, and Love Shot has low TP consumption and no casting time, so through spamming it I could get the party up to full HP in less time it took for Estelle to cast Nightingale. And unlike Karol, it heals everybody and doesn't miss. When I fight boss battles, I'm running around trying to kite the boss away from attacking my party members, and Karol is just too slow to keep up with me.

Plus, more offensive magic power on top of already ridiculous offensive magic power is never a bad thing. Yuri/Repede/Rita/Raven is my dream team.

I'm digging Asbel's disco attire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nefarious Asparagus posted:

Really? I found him a superior healer to both Estelle and Karol, actually. Unlike Estelle, he actually heals you when you need to be healed, and Love Shot has low TP consumption and no casting time, so through spamming it I could get the party up to full HP in less time it took for Estelle to cast Nightingale. And unlike Karol, it heals everybody and doesn't miss. When I fight boss battles, I'm running around trying to kite the boss away from attacking my party members, and Karol is just too slow to keep up with me.

Plus, more offensive magic power on top of already ridiculous offensive magic power is never a bad thing. Yuri/Repede/Rita/Raven is my dream team.

I'm digging Asbel's disco attire.

Estelle is definitely an inferior healer due to casting time and bad AI, but I've found Karol's healing AI to be quite good. Plus, because he's always in the middle of his Smash, he will always heal himself, which means he doesn't die very often. Raven's Love Shot doesn't hit peak efficiency until...200? 300 uses? And even then, it goes for the girls first, which means he doesn't heal himself all that well.

I dunno, everyone's playstyle is different. In my first couple of playthroughs, I toughed it out with Estelle and used items to offset her AI. I tried a cold playthrough on Hard and kept dying to Barbos because Estelle didn't heal fast enough. Raven didn't have Love Shot, so I tried Karol and that alone allowed me to win. I haven't taken him out of my party since.

Regarding Karol's speed, when you're getting destroyed by something, you should probably be Free Running away from it anyway, so you can run towards Karol and that will offset his speed issues.