Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok I have a couple of questions...

What exactly is X-pac heat and how did Sean Waltman obtain this?

Do internet fans really hate Hulk Hogan and why? He did a ton for the business in the 80s and seems like an ok guy from the interviews he gives and the vh1 shows he's on. I hear he has a huge ego but some of the stuff I've heard sounds borderline uncanny.

Finally, have Kane and Big Show ever had substantial title runs? I started watching WWF/E at the tailend of 99 and Big Show had the title. I've heard Kane had it too but it was short-lived. I went about six years not watching wrestling starting late 02, and I wonder if either of them have had titles since then. They both have been legit main eventers at times and I don't understand why they don't get the main titles ever, considering how long their careers currently are. Am I just mistaken in thinking they are (or have been) main eventers for any significant time in their career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

crankdatbatman posted:

Its a term that describes a hatred of a wrestler that inspires instead of fun 'boo boo you're a bad guy' reactions 'I am going to ignore everything you do because you are worthless reactions, the problem is that this is indistinguishable from just not getting a reaction at all. Either way it means that people don't like a guy. Its silly.

quote:

Do internet fans really hate Hulk Hogan and why? He did a ton for the business in the 80s and seems like an ok guy from the interviews he gives and the vh1 shows he's on. I hear he has a huge ego but some of the stuff I've heard sounds borderline uncanny.

Hes a very mediocre wrestler and a terrible human being. Yeah he was a huge draw and that matters to some people but to a lot of people how much money Vince made off a guy is low on their list of reasons to like or dislike someone. He was also a huge backstage politicking bastard and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

He said he understood how OJ could kill his wife and that the guy that his son crippled was a negative person and deserved it or whatever. Hes a bad person.

quote:

Finally, have Kane and Big Show ever had substantial title runs? I started watching WWF/E at the tailend of 99 and Big Show had the title. I've heard Kane had it too but it was short-lived. I went about six years not watching wrestling starting late 02, and I wonder if either of them have had titles since then. They both have been legit main eventers at times and I don't understand why they don't get the main titles ever, considering how long their careers currently are. Am I just mistaken in thinking they are (or have been) main eventers for any significant time in their career?

Kane had the title for 1 night, I don't really know about Show. But neither of them NEED the title to be over (not that HHH or Batista do either but whatever) They can function as 'special attractions' and do fine in their own feuds and angles without being involved in the main event scene.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

X-Pac heat basically means that the fans aren't booing you because you are a really good heel and they want to see you get your rear end kicked, but they just do not like you and want you to go away. Or they'll just give you no reaction at all. I GUESS it started with X-pac so they call it X-Pac heat.

It really depends on who you ask with Hogan. People have lost a lot of respect for him over the years.

Big Show had the main title in 2002 and the ECW title. Kane had the ECW.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

crankdatbatman posted:

This is a highly controversial term around here because nobody can really agree on what it is, who has it, or whether or not it's even a bad thing. As I understand it, it's when the crowd boos a guy not because they don't like him, but because they want him to go away. The term originated when X-Pac was forced to turn heel during the Invasion angle because he was being heavily booed despite acting as a face.

quote:

Hogan was pretty much always a terrible worker with a worse attitude. He did a ton of business in the 80s and early 90s, but was still being presented as a credible world champion as late as 2002, and would occasionally show up in WWE for a quick feud and paycheck as late as 2005. He and his friends always got the cushiest jobs and the biggest paychecks, usually to the detriment of more capable workers.

quote:

They both had pretty lengthy runs with the ECW Title, but other than that their world title reigns have mostly been transitional. Of course, both of them are always within a few weeks of being a serious title contender just because of their size and their ability to dominate opponents.

Ninja edit: Beaten everywhere :doh:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That really sucks about Hogan. From a mark's viewpoint he seems like a great guy, like a children's hero or something. I mean...you could trace wrestling's big booms in the 80's and 90's to him, he means so much to the business (bad worker and all too, but so was the Rock). But if he really is this big of an rear end in a top hat that kind of ruins all of that.

Oh well, same goes for Austin, Benoit, Angle, and probably a shitton of others too :smith:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Oh no. You did not just call the Rock, Austin, Benoit, and Angle bad workers. They were all light-years ahead of hogan.

Guys like Kevin Nash, and Lex Lugar are more like Hogan with regards to in ring work.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Oh no. You did not just call the Rock, Austin, Benoit, and Angle bad workers. They were all light-years ahead of hogan.

Guys like Kevin Nash, and Lex Lugar are more like Hogan with regards to in ring work.

He was saying the Rock was a bad worker and those other guys are assholes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FishBulb posted:

He was saying the Rock was a bad worker and those other guys are assholes.

Right...but more of a "I want to root for him but he sucks in real life" kind of thing.

Hungry Hungry Hippo
Mar 6, 2008

To tell you the truth, I'm not even that hungry...but when I see those marbles, I just lose it.
When it comes to the recent years of WWE, I'm fairly new to wrestling. Thus, seeing this video got me thinking, has the Undertaker ever had an actual feud of any kind with Ric Flair?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Hungry Hippo posted:

When it comes to the recent years of WWE, I'm fairly new to wrestling. Thus, seeing this video got me thinking, has the Undertaker ever had an actual feud of any kind with Ric Flair?

Oh hell yes. They had a massive feud in 2002 which led to a match at Wrestlemania 18.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Which led to Taker eating the best spinebuster of the past decade courtesy of Arn Anderson.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

CM Junk posted:

Which led to Taker eating the best spinebuster of the past decade courtesy of Arn Anderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLCK-hoahI

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

crankdatbatman posted:

He refuses to put anyone over and if he does lose its usually by interference on the behalf of the other wrestler or it will take a supreme amount of punishment to beat Hogan as in "No mortal man can beat the Hulkster, brother"! He sells very poorly, as well. He's also the textbook example of why giving a wrestler creative control is a bad idea, as you can look at his WCW career as proof. Still till this day, he thinks he lives in the 80's where he was number 1 and top dog in the industry.

Now look at him; he's old and broken. The WWE won't touch him now, and he's so desperate that he is looking to go to TNA.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

crankdatbatman posted:

Oh well, same goes for Austin, Benoit, Angle, and probably a shitton of others too :smith:

Austin beat up Debra, and that's not excusable. But as for being a likeable guy outside the ring, or an unselfish person/wrestler, I'm not sure you'll find a better guy. Austin has always been one of the most respected wrestlers ever, never putting himself over to the detriment of the company, and he gave a lot more than he had.

I'm sure his walkout could be used against him, but the point is the man was physically ruined and kept on giving a lot longer than he should have.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin beat up Debra, and that's not excusable.

Benoit killed his family...

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

grody but still def posted:

ric flair and dusty rhodes would like to disagree

They came up during a different era and in the South where lisping can happen from the accent.

Justice Grieves posted:

(Billy and Chuck was less than a half decade ago).

No it wasn't but maybe I'm spergin.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Batmanuel posted:

Benoit killed his family...

Yes, yes he did. But I'm solely talking about Austin and it looks like we got our signals crossed. My whole point is that as far as being an overall good person who is well-liked seemingly unanimously amongst his peers, Austin fits the bill. But I made sure to note his issue with Debra is inexcusable on his part.

As for a question, can someone give me a quick rundown of the aftermath of Survivor Series 1997? I know Owen was the only Hart Foundation member to stick around, Foley sat out the next RAW, and Bulldog had to buyout his own contract, but I can't remember what else was going on backstage.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Yes, yes he did. But I'm solely talking about Austin and it looks like we got our signals crossed. My whole point is that as far as being an overall good person who is well-liked seemingly unanimously amongst his peers, Austin fits the bill. But I made sure to note his issue with Debra is inexcusable on his part.

As for a question, can someone give me a quick rundown of the aftermath of Survivor Series 1997? I know Owen was the only Hart Foundation member to stick around, Foley sat out the next RAW, and Bulldog had to buyout his own contract, but I can't remember what else was going on backstage.

Someone had to do it v :) v

Part of the aftermath was Undertaker making Bret and Vince hug it out.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

HBK/HHH said the Harris Twins were their protection in the locker room after the match. Neidhart was embarrassed on Raw I think two weeks later then left for WCW. Foley, Taker, and I think one other name (Maybe Vader?) all skipped the Raw the next night. Foley came back when he realized he needed money.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ktik posted:

HBK/HHH said the Harris Twins were their protection in the locker room after the match. Neidhart was embarrassed on Raw I think two weeks later then left for WCW. Foley, Taker, and I think one other name (Maybe Vader?) all skipped the Raw the next night. Foley came back when he realized he needed money.

I remember the Neidhart deal--he joined DX, only to be low blowed by Chyna at the end of RAW and never seen again. But I've never heard this:

Batmanuel posted:

Part of the aftermath was Undertaker making Bret and Vince hug it out.

Did this actually happen? All I know is Bret punched Vince, but I hadn't heard they later bro hugged.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
What was Evolution's vibe? How did they act? Were they liked by fans or disliked or was it a mixture of the two? Were they smarky at all as HHH sometimes (more than sometimes) is?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

PitifulLoser posted:

What was Evolution's vibe? How did they act? Were they liked by fans or disliked or was it a mixture of the two? Were they smarky at all as HHH sometimes (more than sometimes) is?

It was essentially Triple H's attempt at reforming the Horsemen. They were booed. They got heat. Not the massive, Horseman like heat they were going for. Actually, HHH was supposed to be the "Ric Flair" of the group, but IIRC, Randy Orton got the most heat.

They weren't really "smarky", Triple H tends to do that poo poo more as a face.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

TL posted:

It was essentially Triple H's attempt at reforming the Horsemen. They were booed. They got heat. Not the massive, Horseman like heat they were going for. Actually, HHH was supposed to be the "Ric Flair" of the group, but IIRC, Randy Orton got the most heat.

They weren't really "smarky", Triple H tends to do that poo poo more as a face.

He did compare a malfunctioning mic to Goldberg saying they both don't work correctly.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ktik posted:

If Taker stayed home (he might have, I don't remember all the details), it was probably to back up the guys like Foley who threatened to, sense there's no chance (...in...hell) they would fire him over it.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

PitifulLoser posted:

It did what it was supposed to, be a vehicle for making orton and batista stars in the future, let hhh be mega champ forever, and have flair go around doing stuff that flair does. They acted like a very succesful heel stable with an unorganised resistance. Disliked, but evolution slingshotted each of its members straight into being really over faces because of turning on hhh.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Wazzu posted:

It did what it was supposed to, be a vehicle for making orton and batista stars in the future, let hhh be mega champ forever, and have flair go around doing stuff that flair does. They acted like a very succesful heel stable with an unorganised resistance. Disliked, but evolution slingshotted each of its members straight into being really over faces because of turning on hhh.

Although while Orton was briefly REALLY over as a face, he quickly had his legs cut out from under him by dropping the belt to Triple H after a month. And I can't really blame them for putting the belt on HHH so quickly, since Randy SUCKED as a face.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Although while Orton was briefly REALLY over as a face, he quickly had his legs cut out from under him by dropping the belt to Triple H after a month. And I can't really blame them for putting the belt on HHH so quickly, since Randy SUCKED as a face.

I think I'm the only person in the world who loved RKO's face run. I feel so alone. :smith:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do you guys really have that short a memory? Orton failed as a face because he was set up to fail. The smart way to have him turn would have him continue to be heel for months as HHH said he was cool with it but secretly was filled with rage and jealousy, leading to the WM main event.

Buuuuuuuuuuut this is WWE so they had HHH turn on Randy and they had their big WM main event at Unforgiven. They even had the WM ME staredown.

Evolution was a crutch for HHH to keep winning without having to go over clean and for him to have his own Horsemen and it succeeded doing those things. If they really gave a gently caress about the future of the two "young" (Batista is like 86) guys, they wouldn't have written Orton's turn over 5 minutes during lunch.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

TL posted:

And HHH sucked at whatever role he took on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

Do you guys really have that short a memory? Orton failed as a face because he was set up to fail. The smart way to have him turn would have him continue to be heel for months as HHH said he was cool with it but secretly was filled with rage and jealousy, leading to the WM main event.
It was the same deal with the nWo. Anybody who left the nWo by hitting a move on a member and turning face pretty much succeeded. (Page, Sting, Giant.) Anybody who was beaten down by the faction did not. (VK Wallstreet, The Nasty Boys, Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell.)

Evolution turned Orton face by having Evolution turn on him, which failed. They turned Batista face by having him thumbs down and powerbomb HHH. That worked.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Sting vs. HBK or The Undertaker: This is the Last Great American Wrestleing Dream Match.

Discuss?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pneub posted:

Sting vs. HBK or The Undertaker: This is the Last Great American Wrestleing Dream Match.

As far as nostalgia goes, I suppose these could be considered dream matches. Really though, without two concurrently running major pro wrestling companies, it's hard to say there's really any more dream matches. Sting's old and no longer relevant--if it were ten years ago that would be one thing (or even if Sting were ten years younger), but Sting in 2009 is not a major player in the wrestling world, and can't wrestle to a high standard anymore.

There's one game in town, and a whole new generation of young fans, many of whom might not even know who Sting is. At least that's my two cents, and I know a few Wrestlehutters would love a Sting vs Taker match.

And as far as nostalgia goes, I think there really may be one dream match left that hasn't happened in 20 years: Steamboat vs Flair.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

FishBulb posted:

Kane had the title for 1 night, I don't really know about Show. But neither of them NEED the title to be over

I disagree. Kane needs a world heavyweight championship reign more than anyone on the roster.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

And as far as nostalgia goes, I think there really may be one dream match left that hasn't happened in 20 years: Steamboat vs Flair.

I don't know that you can call it a dream match when the two guys have wrestled each other roughly a thousand times over the course of their careers.

I mean, don't get me wrong if a Steamboat/Flair match happened tomorrow it would still be pretty good but I feel like it would just make people go "wow these guys sure did get old."

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Kane could have a great reign. He could explain that he wanted the title so badly because now, instead of him having to find people to hurt, they just come to him now!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Steamboat/Flair happened in 1994 at Spring Stampede and got at least 4 stars.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Indie wrestling rings seem a lot more bouncy and louder than the ones in WWE and TNA is that on purpose or are the rings just cheaper and thus not as solid?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Steamboat/Flair happened in 1994 at Spring Stampede and got at least 4 stars.

Is that the double pin match?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
When I go back and watch WCW I notice how loving tight the ropes are when compared to the WWE/F. What is the reason for this?

Fake edit: The one wrestling school I went to was run by Jimmy Valiant and the ropes there were tight as gently caress too. But I got no explanation about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

joshtothemaxx posted:

When I go back and watch WCW I notice how loving tight the ropes are when compared to the WWE/F. What is the reason for this?

Fake edit: The one wrestling school I went to was run by Jimmy Valiant and the ropes there were tight as gently caress too. But I got no explanation about it.

As far as I understand it heavyweight wrestlers who use a mat-based style like the ropes loose so that they don't hurt after lots of Irish whipping, while cruiserweights/luchadors who wrestle a more high-flying style prefer tight ropes they can safely springboard off.