Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Hadlock posted:

just hold it up against a commercially made guitar and literally pencil in the fret markers.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to try doing that, but didn't know how well it would work. Haven't glued it down yet/not sure if I am going to. The string tension keeps it pretty well in place. I have another 1x2, and I've got the guitar building fever now. We'll see where that leads.

Do you have a pickup in yours? I might try winding my own magnetic one, even though the piezo works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

communistdew posted:

Yes, the nut and bridge are made from eyebolts.

I just finished building a cigar box guitar. Poplar neck made out of a 1x2 and some cheap old Harmony tuners I had in a box. Plenty of rasping and filing and hacksawing and there we have it. Tuned up to an open G at the moment. Sounds about as dirty as it looks.

Especially with some slide.

Now I just have to figure out where the frets markers go so I can play with any semblance of tuning. Also hooked up a piezo pickup in there so I can plug it in.

25.5" scale length (12 tones per Octave, No stretch compensation)
code:
Fret	Distance 	Distance 
	From Nut(in)	From Bridge(in)
1	1.4312		24.0688
2	2.7821		22.7179
3	4.0571		21.4429
4	5.2606		20.2394
5	6.3966		19.1034
6	7.4688		18.0312
7	8.4808		17.0192
8	9.4360		16.0640
9	10.3376		15.1624
10	11.1886		14.3114
11	11.9918		13.5082
12	12.7500		12.7500
13	13.4656		12.0344
14	14.1410		11.3590
15	14.7786		10.7214
16	15.3803		10.1197
17	15.9483		9.5517
18	16.4844		9.0156
19	16.9904		8.5096
20	17.4680		8.0320
21	17.9188		7.5812
22	18.3443		7.1557
23	18.7459		6.7541
24	19.1250		6.3750
24.5" Scale Length (12 tones per Octave, No stretch compensation):
code:
Fret	Distance 	Distance 
	From Nut(in)	From Bridge(in)
1	1.3751		23.1249
2	2.6730		21.8270
3	3.8980		20.6020
4	5.0543		19.4457
5	6.1457		18.3543
6	7.1759		17.3241
7	8.1482		16.3518
8	9.0660		15.4340
9	9.9322		14.5678
10	10.7498		13.7502
11	11.5216		12.9784
12	12.2500		12.2500
13	12.9375		11.5625
14	13.5865		10.9135
15	14.1990		10.3010
16	14.7772		9.7228
17	15.3229		9.1771
18	15.8379		8.6621
19	16.3241		8.1759
20	16.7830		7.7170
21	17.2161		7.2839
22	17.6249		6.8751
23	18.0108		6.4892
24	18.3750		6.1250

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

communistdew posted:

Thanks for the tip! I was going to try doing that, but didn't know how well it would work. Haven't glued it down yet/not sure if I am going to. The string tension keeps it pretty well in place. I have another 1x2, and I've got the guitar building fever now. We'll see where that leads.

Do you have a pickup in yours? I might try winding my own magnetic one, even though the piezo works pretty well.

My first one didn't have a piezo pickup, but I have 3 half-finished CBG projects (one with F-holes, along with a seperate Tahitian Uke project) all with Piezos! AFAIK the problem with doing a BYO pickup is you need to ground the bridge to avoid noise/hum, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

[sico]
Aug 27, 2004
I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT. MY MOTHER GETTING SLAMMED BY FOUR ABORIGINALS THAT IS

Click here for the full 850x850 image.

Nord Electro 3 73 coming in the mail from across the world.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005

LOO posted:

Measurements

Thanks! Now I need a really precise ruler or something cool.

Hadlock posted:

Pups

Well I will be sure to document my foray into magnetic pickups if and when I do. There are some pseudo-plans on cigarboxguitars.com that I might look into. I should have shielded the piezo in this one. Also I need to buy a little saw, because F-holes would look/sound way better than the little holes I have right now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

communistdew posted:

F-holes

F-Holes!
http://nearlydeaf.com/?p=289

They look pretty OK in person, but they're no violin F-Holes. The "tone" of the box changed dramatically when I added them (I would go so far as to say it added more "presence", but I fear for getting laughed out of the thread), so there is some definite benefit to adding them. The surface of the box (a sort of wood in between two pieces of laminate, plus the paper cover) is very difficult to carve additional width to the F holes even with a sharp knife so it never progressed past that. Regardless, it frees the soundboard from the edges/corners and resonates significantly better.

Tool I used:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97831

Perhaps you or I should start a CBG thread(!)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 11, 2009

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Perhaps you or I should start a CBG thread(!)

I was thinking about doing just that. I took some picture during my construction process. I just have to find my camera charger and we'll be in business. There are a lot of resources online, but also a lot of conflicting ideas. I guess that's what you get with homemade instruments with very few rules.

I'll start up a thread soon tonight or tomorrow and we can stop CBG'n up this thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Make sure you get a video of it or record it somehow. I don't remember what it was, but I really enjoyed a video I saw where Jack White nailed a string to a board, screwed on a pick up, plugged it in and played it.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Finally got some pics of the new 7. Not very good ones, cell phones don't make good main cameras.
But here we go!

Here's my two sevens with a lonely strat that probably won't get touched anytime soon

And a couple of shots of just the seven, classy on my unmade bed.

I got this used for stupidly cheap from the original owner. She said she wanted to play guitar like korn a long time ago so she picked this up, played it once, and never touched it again. It still had the back plastic and stock strings from who knows how long ago.

Besides a few odds and ends, its in perfect condition. Has one little bump, and barely any belt buckle rash. The frets need to be cleaned and the fretboard could use a nice coat of lemon juice, and there is something funny with the jack.

I actually wanted to ask about that, it seems to have trouble accepting certain cables. As some just seem too big and won't fit. Anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I've never ran across or heard about something like this before.

Oh, and as a first time floyd rose owner, these things are a loving nightmare to re-string and setup.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thorpe posted:

Oh, and as a first time floyd rose owner, these things are a loving nightmare to re-string and setup.

It takes practice. But after awhile, its just like any other bridge.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Minto Took posted:

It takes practice. But after awhile, its just like any other bridge.

I don't know, I can change strings out on my TOM guitar a lot faster, and I can change tunings in a minute. A tuning change can take an hour on a floyd.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

I don't know, I can change strings out on my TOM guitar a lot faster, and I can change tunings in a minute. A tuning change can take an hour on a floyd.

I'm able to string a floyd as fast as an fixed bridge. Changing tunings is a loving bitch though.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Thorpe posted:

I actually wanted to ask about that, it seems to have trouble accepting certain cables. As some just seem too big and won't fit. Anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I've never ran across or heard about something like this before.

Too big like, they don't snap into place, or they won't fit into the jack's mounting plate?

It certain cables won't stay put, then the piece of metal on the jack that springs down into the ridge under the tip of the plug (HOT) is probably bent back. You may be able to bend it back into place yourself, or if it's still giving you problems, replace it with a new $3 jack from radioshack or something.

Delusionati
Jul 26, 2006
Colleen:"Are you the Messiah?" Gord:"Yes I am."
It's been a week now, but I'm still hyperventilating.

It will sit with it's two big brothers (and the inbred cousin) when the band is all back from holidays.

I am planning to put the white and black ones head-to-toe for a Rickenbacker yin-yang photo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
One of my guitarists may have an endorsement/artist type of deal in the works from Hanson guitars. Hanson has been primarily a pickup/electronics producer, most notably for Lakland, for several years, but now it looks like they're getting into the guitar business. Just debuted at Summer NAMM this year.

http://www.hansonguitars.com/index.htm

Think he's looking to get that bad boy right there. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

One of my guitarists may have an endorsement/artist type of deal in the works from Hanson guitars. Hanson has been primarily a pickup/electronics producer, most notably for Lakland, for several years, but now it looks like they're getting into the guitar business. Just debuted at Summer NAMM this year.

http://www.hansonguitars.com/index.htm

Think he's looking to get that bad boy right there. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds.

Very cool! And tempting too! Reminds me of Reverends.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Delusionati posted:

It will sit with it's two big brothers (and the inbred cousin) when the band is all back from holidays.

I am planning to put the white and black ones head-to-toe for a Rickenbacker yin-yang photo.

Nice! What years?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Very cool! And tempting too! Reminds me of Reverends.

Yeah I was a little surprised at the prices.. I don't think they have a model over $800. They're probably like the Lakland Skylines... body and neck coming out of Lakland's plant in Indo and having all electronics and finishing done in Chicago.

Delusionati
Jul 26, 2006

Schatten posted:

Nice! What years?

JetGLo is Oct '07 (Vintage circuit too)
WhiteGlo is Sept '78
Frankenbacker is Oct '78 (Badass bridge, Alembic PUs).
MIJ Fender P-bass is '88. (Badass bridge, '80s EMGs).

Delusionati fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 11, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Delusionati posted:

JetGLo is 2007 (Vintage circuit too)
White is Sept '78
Frankenbacker is Oct '78 (Badass bridge, Alembic PUs).
Kickass! The Franken is a lawsuit bass?
And the 07 JetGlo reminds me of mine... =( It was also an 07. http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/2715534558/in/set-72157604159710697/
Hated how it felt, hated how it played, but it was light and sounded wonderful plugged in! After a while, I got used to it and enjoyed gigging with it. The last gig I did with it was outdoors, and the sweat just rolls on and sticks to the thin paint job.

Scarf posted:

Yeah I was a little surprised at the prices.. I don't think they have a model over $800. They're probably like the Lakland Skylines... body and neck coming out of Lakland's plant in Indo and having all electronics and finishing done in Chicago.

Got a response from John at Hanson.

quote:

Great to hear from you, glad you like the site and the guitars.

I'm working on sound samples this weekend as a matter of fact, hopefully by next week you should see something.

In the mean time, check out this Youtube clip of Willie Nile live in Chicago. I'm the Guitarist on the far left (stage right). half way through and the end, I dual it out on a Cigno with our other guitar player on a Les Paul. It's a great tune. By the way, the center guitar player (playing the hollow body) has Hanson P90s and Willies Strat has Hanson Strat pickups. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kM9xTK-Yw8

A typical Cigno with Bigsby weighs in around 8 Lbs. some are lighter some are heavier, but I haven't prepped any more than a half a pound lighter or heavier.

Thanks for the interest in my guitar line. This is a new line, but I've been doing this for over 10 years (was co-owner of Lakland Basses until this year).

Best regards,

John Pirruccello

Tempting! Very tempting!

Delusionati
Jul 26, 2006

Schatten posted:

Kickass! The Franken is a lawsuit bass?
And the 07 JetGlo reminds me of mine... =( It was also an 07. http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/2715534558/in/set-72157604159710697/
Hated how it felt, hated how it played, but it was light and sounded wonderful plugged in! After a while, I got used to it and enjoyed gigging with it. The last gig I did with it was outdoors, and the sweat just rolls on and sticks to the thin paint job.
No, it's legit, only not all original.

I'm not crazy about them on stage either, but my band-mates insist on the high-tension sound. I dread damage to the white one - not a scratch in 31 years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

Did they move the overseas production to Indonesia? I thought it was South Korea?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Did they move the overseas production to Indonesia? I thought it was South Korea?

The Cort plant in S. Korea where they were being produced closed at some time in 08 I believe. All Skyline-Series Lakland since then have been from Indo. A lot of people have said the Indo Laklands feel even nicer than the older Korean ones.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Delusionati posted:

Would you mind willing me, I don't know, one of the the Rickenbackers? it would really make me happy :)

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

communistdew posted:

Yes, the nut and bridge are made from eyebolts.

I just finished building a cigar box guitar. Poplar neck made out of a 1x2 and some cheap old Harmony tuners I had in a box. Plenty of rasping and filing and hacksawing and there we have it. Tuned up to an open G at the moment. Sounds about as dirty as it looks.

Especially with some slide.

Now I just have to figure out where the frets markers go so I can play with any semblance of tuning. Also hooked up a piezo pickup in there so I can plug it in.

Awesome. One of my dad's buddies makes these things, so I've got three. Fun as all hell. All three have pickups, they're made from $7 doorbells the guy got at a local hardware store. We tried piezos and actual microphones and other stuff, and we got the best tone from those fuckin' doorbells.

P.S. The proper slide is a bigass heavy socket wrench bit. You really wanna go all DIY here.

Delusionati
Jul 26, 2006

vac posted:

Would you mind willing me, I don't know, one of the the Rickenbackers? it would really make me happy :)

Please! I'm already starting to feel like a crazy-cat-lady - only with Rickenbackers. Now you want me to give them all away in my will? Maybe I can leave them to PETG (People for the Ethical Treatment of Guitars).
*browsing eBay for a FireGLo*

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/282/Smokers_Delight

:2bong:

Sounds very chill.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up a Ukulele kit should be a fun little project.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

bisticles posted:

Too big like, they don't snap into place, or they won't fit into the jack's mounting plate?

It certain cables won't stay put, then the piece of metal on the jack that springs down into the ridge under the tip of the plug (HOT) is probably bent back. You may be able to bend it back into place yourself, or if it's still giving you problems, replace it with a new $3 jack from radioshack or something.

Not quite like that, but my planet waves cable is physically too big to fit inside the jack. I've since tried a few other cables and that seems to be the only one that won't wort. Hasn't ever been a problem before, just kinda strange.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it is too big to fit in the jack, it isn't a 1/4" cable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This counts, right?

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
tell that to my bass and pedals and amps.
Fits in my friends RG7420 as well, I think it's just a hosed up jack somehow.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Bought this at the Guitar Center labor day sale:

Should arrive Tuesday :haw:

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
Can't get the image working but I just purchased a BD-2 Blues Driver

Will complement the Blackheart Handsome Devil I just purchased very nicely.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 13, 2009

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

MrLonghair posted:

Going by the slight damage in the paint job in the lower left, I think I just got the very same Korg Electribe EA-1 I owned last year :o

Now I have a minimalist setup of EM1, EA1 and KP3. Rather have a x0xb0x but this will do until I get that kind of money.

e: This is a fine freaking combination, but drat. I need ES-1 and ER-1 for a complete rig.

If you are looking atan EMX, it's pretty cool. I got one a month ago and it's got some good granulator in it.

There's also some cool PCM waves in it too.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

This is a VERY cool sample set. If you get a chance, Smoker's Relight is really cool too, but I don't think it's as good as Delight.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Beatladdius posted:

Can't get the image working but I just purchased a BD-2 Blues Driver

Will complement the Blackheart Handsome Devil I just purchased very nicely.

It probably hasn't even been very long since I said it, but the BD-2 is a great sounding pedal and I imagine you'll get a lot of use out of it. It works well as a boost for an already overdriven amp, either cleanish or with some grit; and it sounds great used as a very preamp tubelike clipping circuit in its own right if you're running your amp clean.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls

Agreed posted:

It probably hasn't even been very long since I said it, but the BD-2 is a great sounding pedal and I imagine you'll get a lot of use out of it. It works well as a boost for an already overdriven amp, either cleanish or with some grit; and it sounds great used as a very preamp tubelike clipping circuit in its own right if you're running your amp clean.

Good to know, I'm home for the weekend and I keep my amp and guitar at school so I'm itching to get back to try it tomorrow on that sucker :D I'm going to be using it on my clean channel primarily.

As far as next gear goes, I'm looking into something more high end that will really saturate the poo poo out of my signal to give me that pop-punk tone I love. Also a Boss Noise Supressor.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 13, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Pop punk tone, as in Recto? Check out the Wampler Triple Recstortion and the Barber Dirty Bomb. Well, the Triple Recstortion was a limited run of 100, but I believe he's said he plans to re-release it soon as the Triple Wreckedstortion or something like that, with basically the same pedal but with an added high-gain muff style fuzz mode switchable.

The Boss Noise Supressor is not a very good noise reduction pedal. If you want the best (for noise reduction performance, for transparency, but retaining the signal loop feature that the Boss unit has, check out the Decimator G-String. If you don't have a bunch of noise pedals then you'd probably be fine with just a regular Decimator. The Boss one just stinks, in my opinion, it has its own noise that it introduces and it doesn't do enough to counteract noise that isn't just from the pedal chain itself. The Decimator's noise reduction technology was made by the guys who made (and is the evolution of) Rocktron's HUSH technology, which at the time it came out was the hot poo poo; now the Decimator is the hot poo poo, and for good reason. Although MXR's noise gate pedal actually does a pretty good job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Oh man that Barber Dirty Bomb sounds pretty sweet. I'm reading about it now, seems like you can really craft a nice range of sounds. I think I'll pick one up sooner rather than later. Damnit, I've been playing guitar for like two years and I'm already becoming a tone junkie cause of how many guitarists with awful tone I've played with.

I'll look into the Decimator and the MXR noise gates, thanks for the info. I'm probably gonna hold off on copping one of those until my pocket isn't dry.

edit: God damnit, I'm so upset they don't make that Wampler anymore. Sounds loving great.

DOUBLE edit: They have the Wampler Triple Recstortion on Ebay for $180. My ears say yes, but my wallet says no.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 13, 2009