Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Yip Yips posted:

This has always cracked me up and my name is Colin too. I love that there are spoofs of it now. Check out the giraffe one.

Haha I've seen them all -- I've known Colin for years. He's working these days at Koei Canada as a game designer, but he's also a composer on the side. Has a website and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Okay okay, forget all that.

Look at this: http://vimeo.com/4765159
Teaser 2 and especially teaser 3 as well.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

International Log posted:

I found this too loving artsy for my tastes :colbert:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kirby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PEAK-kE1g
there's almost too much effort gone into it to be a joke

I like how the girl is KG...Jack Black's partners name. Ha.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
http://www.christianleiva.com/video/Davey_Throws_a_Boomerang.html

It's still the best cg animation :colbert:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's the best thing I've ever seen
I love the way he walks

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Ratmann posted:

http://www.christianleiva.com/video/Davey_Throws_a_Boomerang.html

It's still the best cg animation :colbert:

I am utterly defeated.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

cubicle gangster posted:

So all their staff from dreamworks and disney... got fired for incompetence, right?

Janitors

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

International Log posted:

Teaser 2 absolutely blew me away. Awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A5H posted:

Teaser 2 absolutely blew me away. Awesome.

They are very very nice, but the loving constantly shifting focus got old real fast.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush 3.5 is out. Go, go, GO!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Because we're a bit quiet in work I went and had a go at re-lighting an old shot these past 2 days.

Started sketching my next big still too. This ones a little bit more ambitious than the last... :)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Goddamn, dude.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's really beautiful
There's a cinematic quality to it. The apsect ratio contributes to that I guess.
Great work

I wish I was allowed that kind of freedom at work. :(

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Because we're a bit quiet in work I went and had a go at re-lighting an old shot these past 2 days.

Started sketching my next big still too. This ones a little bit more ambitious than the last... :)

Looks excellent. The only thing I would say is I think the foreground tree would work better on the other side. As is, everything feels a little bunched on the right of the image, and if you moved the tree over there it would work to frame the house a bit more without feeling too constrained. Otherwise, looks great. Definitely love the lighting.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Something about the tree planters and table setting is throwing me off. Everything else is pretty drat solid. This is serious nitpicking, btw. The foliage looks really great, the house looks really nice, bit then you're just dropped on an empty table. No payoff, yknow?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Andy Samberg stopped bye my work last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jH...player_embedded

:)

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

-A n i m 8- posted:

Andy Samberg stopped bye my work last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jH...player_embedded

:)

I knew I saw him walking around!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Kirby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PEAK-kE1g
there's almost too much effort gone into it to be a joke

You know, if this was a trailer for a PSX game you'd all be blown out of your minds.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I was so sure that all of the positive comments were plants, but sure enough, they're real people that are actually pumped to see it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still havent gotten my activation yet, but others have and are, well... overenthusiastic with the new Zspheres.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I got my activation email yesterday. It's pretty good. I love the new scuplting brushes. Finally an easier way to do some hard surface sculpting. It has a few minor things that they changed that drive me absolutely nuts though.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Hopefully this is the right thread to ask, but... I downloaded a 3DSMax trial for shits and giggles because I was bored. It wasn't very difficult to figure out the basics on my own, so I made a hammer... but my hammer seems to have some hosed up faces that I don't know how to fix. Well, rendering with 2 sided faces does seem to fix this.

How do I remedy this?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

vs

In the view, hosed faces come up as black.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/06/06f0f47b3b25455127a6998104d791012c231028.jpg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

slovach posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask, but... I downloaded a 3DSMax trial for shits and giggles because I was bored. It wasn't very difficult to figure out the basics on my own, so I made a hammer... but my hammer seems to have some hosed up faces that I don't know how to fix. Well, rendering with 2 sided faces does seem to fix this.

How do I remedy this?

vs

In the view, hosed faces come up as black.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/06/06f0f47b3b25455127a6998104d791012c231028.jpg

Looks like some faces are inverted, which is why it works when you have 2-sided on. Grab those faces and flip them. Applying the Normal modifier with the unify option on should also fix it.

Just got ZB3.5 and messed around with the new sculpting and brushes.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I hate you guys :smith:

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

slovach posted:

In order to save rendering time the "inside" of a model isn't usually rendered (unless you tick 2 sided rendering), the normals define which direction of a plane is the inside and which is the outside. In your model some outside planes have defined as inside due to the method you used to create the model. To fix the problem you should swap the normals of the specific polygons which are wrong.

Here is an tutorial about normals , though its for maya i think :
http://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=86

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
[/quote]

Just got ZB3.5 and messed around with the new sculpting and brushes.

[/quote]

Queue hundreds of posters around the world showing random noise on all their meshes :P

(Once I'm on zbrush 3.5 i'll certainly be no better)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going overboard with the muscles!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not really any good at modeling (or anything else 3D related, TBH) so I'm just doing this mostly for fun and as a learning opportunity. It took me forever to get used to the basic idea of how modeling is usually done in Max (extrude, chamfer, meshsmooth, etc) so I'm happy I can get at least to this stage.

This, of course, is an attempt at the plush frog that :frog: is based on. I got the idea in the same thread I got my avatar from. The possibility of printing it with something like Shapeways is pretty exciting, so I'd like to get it as close to the real thing as possible. There are a few things I'm still not completely happy with, and with my current knowledge I don't know how to approach. Mainly, it's the...
  • overall shape of the body, though I think it's much better than my previous attempt
  • wrinkles
  • plush material
  • separate material for the mouth... or a UVW texture?
  • anything else I might be doing wrong
I'm mostly looking for suggestions here, although if anybody wants to play with the model that would be great.

Click here for the full 666x666 image.

There are a few images for reference in that thread, and some more are here (slightly :nws:), I also have a video from that shoot if that can help. My Max file is here: http://mobby_6kl.s3.amazonaws.com/frog_sa.rar, though for some reason I can't make it a link as it gets truncated at the underscore. I can also export it in any format Max supports.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the issues you're having with modeling that shape are to more with your observation of the reference than the technical aspects. Whe using meshsmooth, remember that you'll need edges close together to get proper creases and wrinkles. If your object is looking too square then think about adding edgeloops to get more gemoetry to play with. You also might want to try only using four sided polygons, you can smooth out the bottom of the foot more this way.

A snippet of my charatcer. I havent had much time to keep working on this character, which is why it's been so long since the last update. Pretty much the same setup as the last one, except I'm using lots of mrprim hair this time. Everything is pretty darn WIP at the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That looks awesome Eoin. The only thing that stands out is that old people's skin is thin and inelastic, it could do with a few more folds, sags and bunching up, and being slightly translucent.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Also the lighting detracts from the liver spots, jeez, amateurs. :rolleyes: Start over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tuna posted:

Also the lighting detracts from the liver spots, jeez, amateurs. :rolleyes: Start over.

Oh man I'm going to have to take this down for future reference.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Both good points. I need to do a fair bit more on the skin texture and the shader, adding liver spots etc. Thanks guys

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I've been swamped with doing art test. But I had a week where I had no test scheduled and figured I'd do a personal test.

I gave myself one week to sketch out a concept, model, uv map, create the high-res assets, texture, and get it all working real-time. There is a bit more I'd like to do, but I'm out of time.

Now back to the real art test so I can get a job.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That looks really cool
The cloth has a good feeling of weight to it and realistic folding, the grunge is well used also

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is an art test? Do prospective employers assign them to see what you can produce? What would be a typical art test for a games company?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had art tests before. Usually I'd get them before I even get to the interview stage. It's a way to sort applicants out by skill level I guess.

Hm, cant remember the page now, but it was for a games studio here in Melbourne. The test was to design a small outdoor level. They gave a description of the level, plus a small gameplay walkthrough. In that case it was a hut in the woods with a pipeline leading up to a mine in a hill. The player should be able to scale some crates to get onto the pipe to enter the mine, and all of this should occur on one screen. I cant remember if they specified a poly limit for it, but they did have some restrictions on maps and such.

Recently I applied for a job at an animation studio and also got an art test there. Given some character sheets and background and reference material to do up a new scene background and the character in a new pose.

In both cases I'd sent my showreel as an initial inquiry first. A friend also applied for those jobs, but didnt get so far, receiving a thanks-but-no-thanks instead. My guess is that if they like your showreel, they send out the art test to see how versatile you are.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, SynthOrange pretty much covered it. When I got into the games industry five years ago I never heard of an art test. It was basically look at your portfolio, schedule an interview. But now it seems like every company is giving out art test. It kind of drives me nuts because each one takes a few days and it's sometimes hard to find the time, but I can understand it also. It makes me wonder if a lot of people can't really do what they show in their portfolio, and this is another way to weed them out.

I started applying around a few months ago, and so far I've done some art test for some pretty well know companies. They basically send you some concept art and a set of guidelines. You have a set amount of time to model and texture the item in the concept art. Usually they want you to use the programs they use at that particular company. If you do well enough they schedule an interview. They usually last about 3 days. But the one I'm starting tomorrow is expected to take about 2 weeks. But it's for a pretty awesome company.

It's a pretty slow going process. I'm just barely hearing back from companies that I applied at in June and July. And if I do well on the art test it may be another couple weeks before I hear back while the other applicants finish their test.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 14, 2009

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
So they make you pull 2 weeks worth of work for not even a guarantee of a job? That's a rip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

That's kind of how I feel. And these are all well know big companies putting out AAA games. But if that's what it takes then I guess I'll do it.