Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OptimusShr posted:

New weekend promo Postal 1 &2 for $11.98 until Monday.

Not worth it. Postal 2 isn't even something you can enjoy ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

So just two questions. Which faction do you think is the best? (Fortress) and are the Might and Magic games just as good, memorable and replayable? Thanks!

Okay, so here's the skinny on the Might and Magic series. You make a party of adventurers with different character classes and send 'em out to explore a big ol' world, kill loads and loads of monsters, solve a few puzzles in dungeons, and eventually get around to doing some quests to advance the plot (which is invariably both paper-thin and kind of bizarre, but is also not really the point of the game). Also you probably run into areas full of high-level monsters or deadly traps by accident and die a lot, so save often. The first five games in the series have purely turn-based combat; M&M6 allows you to switch between turn-based and real-time mode, and knowing when to use each mode is a part of the game's strategy (basically, use turn-based mode at low levels until your combat skills are high enough that you can attack ridiculously fast in real-time mode). They all have pretty decent replay value, since you can try out a different party or do dungeons in a different order and see how it affects the challenge of the game.

If the above description appeals to you, you're probably going to enjoy at least some of the series; World of Xeen in particular pretty much does what it attempts to do as well as it's possible to do it. For $10, I'd say the Might & Magic pack on GOG is a pretty good deal.

EDIT: Oh, and Swords of Xeen is a terribly balanced fan-made game that should only be played out of morbid curiosity, so keep that in mind.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 12, 2009

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
One thing to add about the Might & Magic series is that they're great exploration games. They were open-world games before anyone called games "open-world", and they were good at being progressively more dangerous the further you strayed from cities and roads. Despite being big open worlds, they always seemed remarkably dense with nifty little encounters and puzzles, not just combat.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bethesda has filed a lawsuit against Interplay for breach of contract, and is demanding that Interplay stop selling Fallout-branded products:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6217290.html

I wonder what this will mean for the Fallout games on GOG, since they're licensed by Interplay. Hopefully GOG will be able to work out a deal with Bethesda to keep selling them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Oh poo poo, that's big news for GoG. Somehow I doubt Bethesda cares to deal with GoG since they haven't yet. The good news is legal battles can take years if they get bogged down. Still, if you haven't bought them and have wanted to, now is the time.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Bullshit. Postal 2 is fun to run around, light people on fire, shoot them, piss on them, and so on.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Bethesda has filed a lawsuit against Interplay for breach of contract, and is demanding that Interplay stop selling Fallout-branded products:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6217290.html

I wonder what this will mean for the Fallout games on GOG, since they're licensed by Interplay. Hopefully GOG will be able to work out a deal with Bethesda to keep selling them.

The gently caress? Interplay had been selling Fallout-branded products for years before Bethesda bought the license. There's no grandfather clause involved or anything?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The gently caress? Interplay had been selling Fallout-branded products for years before Bethesda bought the license. There's no grandfather clause involved or anything?

Allegedly Bethesda bought the whole IP when they bought the right to make FO3. This means that if Interplay were to sell any of the FOs they'd have to get permission and apparently they didn't. It's a contractual thing.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Overwined posted:

Allegedly Bethesda bought the whole IP when they bought the right to make FO3. This means that if Interplay were to sell any of the FOs they'd have to get permission and apparently they didn't. It's a contractual thing.

It was a weird deal, they bought the sequel rights and of a online game if Interplay didn't had one ready in like 5 to 10 years, or something along those lines.
If GoG looses FO I predict a big shitstorm incoming, since it's one of their main hooks.

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot
I'm curious, what sort of uproar has this caused at NMA?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hootie Hoo posted:

I'm curious, what sort of uproar has this caused at NMA?

They can't choose which company to root for; they hate both of them so much.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress you I enjoyed playing it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

gently caress you I enjoyed playing it.

Who doesn't enjoy tazing a person, dosing them in gasoline when they are in the fetal position begging for their life and pissing their pants in fear, setting them on fire, putting them out by pissing on them, cutting the head off of the charred corpse with a shovel, kicking the severed head around town and eventually getting it stuck to a cactus?

A person who doesn't like fun, that's who :colbert:

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 13, 2009

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah yeah. It's a demo concept that was blown into a full game. It's fun to do all those things for a few minutes but quickly loses its charm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

It was a weird deal, they bought the sequel rights and of a online game if Interplay didn't had one ready in like 5 to 10 years, or something along those lines.
If GoG looses FO I predict a big shitstorm incoming, since it's one of their main hooks.

Both you and Unwined are a little off. What happened is that Bethesda licensed the right to make Fallout sequels. A year after that, Bethesda decided they'd rather buy the ENTIRE IP. This means Fallout is no longer an Interplay product, but 100% Bethesda. Interplay doesn't even have the right to sell the old games anymore. In the same deal, Bethesda licensed to Interplay the rights to make an MMO.

The reasoning I suspect is behind this is that Bethesda knew that Interplay would start making GBS threads out really terrible online fallout games that would muddy up the brand name, which would be bad for them since they now had the rights to make multiple sequels in the main line. So Bethesda being pretty big decided that the best solution to this was to buy up the entire IP and simply license the online rights to Interplay. In that license are really restrictive terms that required Interplay to raise a certain amount of money and start production within a certain time limit, and they've since failed to do so, with Bethesda pulling the plug on them.

It was a pretty savvy move by Bethesda, because now they own a revitalized license with a ton of interest in it and multiple products being developed for it, and they don't have Interplay making GBS threads out horrible MMOs potentially shying customers away from the series. This lawsuit is the final step in completely removing any link Interplay has left to Fallout.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Both you and Unwined are a little off. What happened is that Bethesda licensed the right to make Fallout sequels. A year after that, Bethesda decided they'd rather buy the ENTIRE IP. This means Fallout is no longer an Interplay product, but 100% Bethesda. Interplay doesn't even have the right to sell the old games anymore. In the same deal, Bethesda licensed to Interplay the rights to make an MMO.

I thought that was what I said. I guess I got the timing of when they bought the IP wrong, but other than that...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

I thought that was what I said. I guess I got the timing of when they bought the IP wrong, but other than that...

But other than that you were right? That's why I said you were just a little off. It's a pretty important distinction, none-the-less, because there was a year or so where Bethesda had the license to make FO3 (and 4 and really as many as they wanted past that) but they had nothing else. The gap shows a that there was a change in attitude at some point and they started being pretty hostile towards Interplay, which this lawsuit is an end result of.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

But other than that you were right? That's why I said you were just a little off. It's a pretty important distinction, none-the-less, because there was a year or so where Bethesda had the license to make FO3 (and 4 and really as many as they wanted past that) but they had nothing else. The gap shows a that there was a change in attitude at some point and they started being pretty hostile towards Interplay, which this lawsuit is an end result of.

Oh. Your point about how Bethesda has done a lot for the revitilization of the brand is important. I'm willing to bet Interplay knew they were violating the IP that they sold by licensing the software to GoG et al. but were probably desperate for cash and hoping Bethesda would let it slide if they rode on their coat-tails a bit.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Apparently because Interplay had a box out that was called "Fallout Trilogy" and people got confused and brought the box thinking it had Fallout 3 in it or something.

I don't really care, I got plenty of different copies from gog, old cd's and what not to never lose my copy. But I hope that some deal is reached where Fallout 1 and 2 can still be sold in some way so that others can have access to it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Well Steam has the older FO games with Interplay listed as their publisher. So if Steam has a similar deal as GoG has, that's good news because you have to imagine Bethesda would not like to interrupt sales. Hell, since everything is already set up on both sites, it would seem like there would be almost no trouble. All these sites really have to do is change the publisher listed on their sites and send the checks to Bethesda instead of Interplay.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

Well Steam has the older FO games with Interplay listed as their publisher. So if Steam has a similar deal as GoG has, that's good news because you have to imagine Bethesda would not like to interrupt sales. Hell, since everything is already set up on both sites, it would seem like there would be almost no trouble. All these sites really have to do is change the publisher listed on their sites and send the checks to Bethesda instead of Interplay.

It's probably a little more complicated than that.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

It's probably a little more complicated than that.

Of course. I'm just hoping they see how simple it can be. Especially since Bethesda already licenses to Steam. GoG is surely a bit more up in the air.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Reb posted:

Apparently because Interplay had a box out that was called "Fallout Trilogy" and people got confused and brought the box thinking it had Fallout 3 in it or something.

Goddamn are people stupid then. It's got a freakin picture of Tactics on it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

swarthmeister posted:

Great game, and now that the Dosbox KQ collection is out on Steam, I'm hoping it'll pop up on GOG. I got the KQ collection through retail a few years ago, and tried it on my system before giving it as a gift.

If memory serves, they don't include the KQ6 HD pack or whatever it was (the module or version that gave higher-res dialogue portraits) and there certainly isn't any desktop and soundtrack sort of bonus stuff like GOG would offer.

I can't speak for the boxed set that was released, but I can say for certain that the KQ6 included in the Steam pack does have the voiced dialogue and higher-res character portraits -- the only problem is, those portraits won't show up unless you're running the game fullscreen under Windows 3.1.

The good news is, you can actually make that happen -- only the cheap frontend launcher actually has the Steam DRM built into it, so you can transplant the game files into any DOSbox installation.

I would be kind of interested to see what bonuses GOG would put out with it, though.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New hidden gem of the week: Painkiller for 9.99. And until 20 september it's 7.99

For the lonely guy who doesnt know the game, just watch this review

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

New hidden gem of the week: Painkiller for 9.99. And until 20 september it's 7.99

Painkiller is really great if you enjoy Serious Sam like mindless fun and huge-body counts.

The overall visual design for the levels is very good too.

Everything from a plague town to a post-apocalypse nuclear wasteland.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've said it before, but with Painkiller, you must download the PowerMad script, map some the following cheats to hotkeys, and watch the bodies pile up:

- pkkeepbodies
- pkkeepdecals

These cheats will also work on the console without PowerMad, but not in the Trauma difficulty, where they make the most sense. Since souls do not appear on this difficulty, why have the bodies disappear at all? Pile 'em up!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The last level in Painkiller is brilliant. It's a shame the final boss himself is pretty gay compared to the epic boss fight in the previous chapter.

Haven't gotten around to playing Overdose or the other expansion but I hear they lose the charm of the original. How you screw up "Here are monsters, now slaughter them" is beyond me.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Whoa, nice, this is better than trying to rescue games from erroring out CD's. First time I've seen a service like this. Though I am really afraid of the Might and Magic 6 pack because I really don't need to lose a month of my life again.

But the fact that they have Ground Control II on their front page speaks volumes of the games in there. I will take the opportunity to replace Giants, as my CD have errored out last time I tried to play it.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I was looking for something to help me kill 2 weeks before I start school and decided to pick up the m&m 6 pack. I hope it plays as well as I remember it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Heritage of Kings: The Settlers has just been released for $9.99.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Heritage of Kings: The Settlers has just been released for $9.99.

Heh, Direct2Drive just had a sale on this game last week for $5. It also included an X-com package containing UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep, Apocalypse, Interceptor, and Enforcer for $5 but it's over now..

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

The reasoning I suspect is behind this is that Bethesda knew that Interplay would start making GBS threads out really terrible online fallout games that would muddy up the brand name, which would be bad for them since they now had the rights to make multiple sequels in the main line. So Bethesda being pretty big decided that the best solution to this was to buy up the entire IP and simply license the online rights to Interplay. In that license are really restrictive terms that required Interplay to raise a certain amount of money and start production within a certain time limit, and they've since failed to do so, with Bethesda pulling the plug on them.

It was a pretty savvy move by Bethesda, because now they own a revitalized license with a ton of interest in it and multiple products being developed for it, and they don't have Interplay making GBS threads out horrible MMOs potentially shying customers away from the series. This lawsuit is the final step in completely removing any link Interplay has left to Fallout.

I'm fairly sure this is a little off as well. Interplay is still allowed to sell the old games, under the condition that all releases, marketing materials, etc. must be submitted to and approved by Bethesda prior to release. The bit about the MMO is right, however - Interplay had the right to create it as long as certain criteria were met, and they weren't.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hahah, this is probably old news, but behold!

The irony is that Planescape: Torment is #2 on the top 10 list

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

Hahah, this is probably old news, but behold!

The irony is that Planescape: Torment is #2 on the top 10 list

I agree; Planescape: Torment never did have enough t in it for me.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

al-azad posted:

Heh, Direct2Drive just had a sale on this game last week for $5. It also included an X-com package containing UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep, Apocalypse, Interceptor, and Enforcer for $5 but it's over now..
They are still on sale there, you just have to scroll down now.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New release: The longest journey for :10bux:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: The longest journey for :10bux:

The best point and click adventure game IMO. Great story, real imaginative and original mix of parallel futuristic and fantasy world, and good writing (although some of the voice acting sounds goofy). It's a surprisingly long game, too. My only beef is the ending which is both predictable and feels totally anti-climactic. Haven't gotten around to playing Dreamfall but I hear mixed opinions from fans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

al-azad posted:

The last level in Painkiller is brilliant. It's a shame the final boss himself is pretty gay compared to the epic boss fight in the previous chapter.

Haven't gotten around to playing Overdose or the other expansion but I hear they lose the charm of the original. How you screw up "Here are monsters, now slaughter them" is beyond me.

Yea the last boss was pretty dull compared to other one due to the standard boss gimmick defeat combination.

At least the game got the other boss fights right overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I finally played through Fallout and am starting Fallout 2 thanks to that 2-for-1 sale. This is the best way to buy older games. They go out of their way to make sure everything works and provide you with lots of extras while Steam seems to skate by with the bare minimum.

The talk about the Fallout license above got me thinking. When you buy an older game, do the guys that actually made it (and are now undoubtedly scattered all over the place) get a cut of the sale?

If not, do modern developers have contracts with sites like this in mind, so they can get the game equivalent of TV royalties down the road?