Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just saw this guy on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/orgasmatron

Someone of his stuff is a little too contrasty for my tastes but overall I like it a lot.

Do you guys get any use out of 70-200 2.8? I eventually want to get one but there is other gear I want/need right now too. All have I have right now is:

Rebel Xti
17-50 2.8
50 1.8
Vivtar 285HV

I want to step up my concert game and I was thinking about either getting the 70-200 or a 580EX II and few other misc things I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got pretty much the same setup:

Canon 350D
f/1.8 50mm
f/2.8 28-75mm
420ex flash - never actually used this at a show though.

I recently purchased a 10-22mm Sigma lens but I don't know if I'll be able to use it in the poorly lit venues I usually shoot. Those f/2.8 70-200mm lenses are amazing, I borrowed the Canon L from a friend one time while shooting a festival. Tamron at about 1/3 the price, but apparently the autofocus is a bit slow.

I want a 50D :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Do you guys get any use out of 70-200 2.8? I eventually want to get one but there is other gear I want/need right now too. All have I have right now is:
I have one. It's handly in larger venues when you're not 30cm from the performers all the time. Good for portraits, and if you're lucky you might catch a good drummer shot or two. You need a couple of meters to work with or it's kinda useless though, but it's perfect for festivals and such, since the stages are usually higher and further away.

Flashes: you usually won't need them in well-lit venues (might not even be allowed to use 'em), and you can't really shoot without them in smaller spaces with poo poo lighting.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 8, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I've got a band's album release gig/party this weekend, they approached me and asked for fees etc.

I know the lead's girlfriend pretty well (she hooks me up with gigs all the time) so I've already suggested not to charge for my time (they only want me there for an hour or so) and said I'll just charge them per photo for use, something we can discuss later in the week.

I'm thinking $40 (NZD) per photo for internet and poster use, but they'll need to confer with me for any magazine or label use (currently unsigned but who knows)
Does that sound OK or is it shooting myself in the foot?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
How big is the band? I'd be asking somewhere around NZD$100 for the hour if they're playing decent sized clubs...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

I just saw this guy on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/orgasmatron

Someone of his stuff is a little too contrasty for my tastes but overall I like it a lot.

Rebel Xti
17-50 2.8
50 1.8
Vivtar 285HV

I want to step up my concert game and I was thinking about either getting the 70-200 or a 580EX II and few other misc things I need.

Try renting one first (Rentglass in Celebration is good)... I'm not terribly picky about that sort of thing thing but big lens + small body can lead to some wonky handling/balance issues.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Try renting one first (Rentglass in Celebration is good)... I'm not terribly picky about that sort of thing thing but big lens + small body can lead to some wonky handling/balance issues.

Yeah, this is definitely true. That lens weighs roughly 3x what that body weighs, it would feel pretty awkward. You might want to consider the f4. I have it and love it and it weighs a whole lot less and would feel more balanced on that body. Not to mention it's a boatload cheaper.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'd hate to waste money on a 4 and want to sell it for a 2.8 down the road. I believe in the buy once philosophy. Secondly, I plan to get a 7d by next Feb, so I'm sure I can stick it out until then.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

I'd hate to waste money on a 4 and want to sell it for a 2.8 down the road. I believe in the buy once philosophy. Secondly, I plan to get a 7d by next Feb, so I'm sure I can stick it out until then.

You'd be surprised at how little money you can lose on a lens if you take proper care of it. I have two lenses that I could actually sell for profit right now because the prices have gone up and so have the used prices.

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007
First gig shoot tonight:

e: added one and replaced unedited

A Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 13, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What do people favour for their PP workflow when processing gig photos? White balance, contrast, blacks, bit of saturation, then noise reduction via a particular app/plugin?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 13, 2009

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cyberbob posted:

What do people favour for their PP workflow when processing gig photos? White balance, contrast, blacks, bit of saturation, then noise reduction via a particular app/plugin?

lightroom.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Aperture!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Capture NX for basic stuff (levels, WB, pushing/pulling,) Photoshop CS3 for all further work (style, formatting, logos.)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I used Picasa for years because I was an idiot. I got LightRoom a couple of months ago and it blew my mind. It's absolutely amazing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just use CS2 with ACR.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I edit differently depending on the show. I use CS3 with camera raw for the most part for everything. For outdoor shows I tend to do a lot of playing with the contrast and I actually drop the saturation a bit. For indoor shows I still play with the contrast, but not as much and I normally increase saturation to give the lights more pop.

Edit: Speaking of outdoor shows, here's a few sets from the band Chiodos from the weekend I spent on Warped Tour with them.

Orlando
West Palm Beach (sorry, the beginning photos are from when we drove to go watch Harry Potter, haha.
St. Petersburg

rockcity fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 14, 2009

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ok I need some help here. I just emailed the PR person for Cannibal Corpse's record label asking to shoot their Orlando show. I got this reply:

Hello Ryan,
Can you let me know who the photos will be for?

How should I answer this? I don't work for anyone.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Haggins posted:

Ok I need some help here. I just emailed the PR person for Cannibal Corpse's record label asking to shoot their Orlando show. I got this reply:

Hello Ryan,
Can you let me know who the photos will be for?

How should I answer this? I don't work for anyone.

"I'm currently shooting freelance and was intending to give the photos to a local music blog"

then quickly dig up the email address for someone with a music blog and ask them if they'll run the photos.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MMD3 posted:

"I'm currently shooting freelance and was intending to give the photos to a local music blog"

then quickly dig up the email address for someone with a music blog and ask them if they'll run the photos.

Cool, I did just that. Thanks. I actually know a guy that runs such a blog in the area so it works out perfectly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just save yourself the headache of watching that horrible band and don't shoot them. Sorry, but they are awful live and the bass player is a douche.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
For international bands like that, who are the best contacts to know/email/phone for media/photographer accreditation?

PR manager for the label, Tour manager for the band, local event manager for the venue?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rockcity posted:

Just save yourself the headache of watching that horrible band and don't shoot them. Sorry, but they are awful live and the bass player is a douche.

I guess you had some kind of bad experience with them. The bass player, Alex, was very polite to me and urged me to contact a certain person on their record label to shoot them. As far as the live performance, I guess we just have different tastes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

I guess you had some kind of bad experience with them. The bass player, Alex, was very polite to me and urged me to contact a certain person on their record label to shoot them. As far as the live performance, I guess we just have different tastes.

I've just never seen anything great from them live. I've seen them about 4 times now live and they've never impressed me. I do some shooting for the site Metal Injection and we were filming a video at the new england metal fest a couple years ago where we had a bunch of band members compete in a guitar hero tournament. He was one of them and he was a dick the whole time. Everyone in the room was glad he lost first so he could get the hell out of there.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Here's the first 3 sets that I'm uploading from the End of the Road Festival this past weekend near Salisbury in the UK.

I had a 5D Mark II at my disposal and a variety of lenses. Sadly I forgot my lens cleaner but I think most of them came out ok. I still have a bunch to go through. My pics this year seem a lot better than last years because I'm learning how to process them better and also how to get the best out of the shot at the time I take it (settings etc).

I know they are probably horrible compared to some people's photos here, but would appreciate comments all the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622254081121/ - The Leisure Society
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622378483876/ - Bob Lind/Jarvis Cocker/Richard Hawley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622253772577/ - Alela Diane

Sadly they are from daytime performances so there's not much variety in the way of light etc. I hate shooting during the day :( The nighttime sets will be much more fun.

Edit: I should also say that I'm not "loving" with these photos like other sets I've posted. I'm trying to actually get some of them used by the festival organisers so after processing them to make them look better I'm leaving them at that.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 16, 2009

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also, would appreciate some help with reducing noise on my high ISO photos from the night concerts.

I have Aperture and CS4 at my disposal.

When I loaded the raw CR2 files into CS4 they looked different than in Aperture. Why is this?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In CS4? Don't you mean Bridge?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

In CS4? Don't you mean Bridge?

I've never used Bridge. I just meant I had Photoshop CS4.

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
New promo that I enjoy a bit. Too bad they've already changed members so they probably won't use it.

Having a good time with cross-processing recently. It's completely changed the time spent in post since now I tweak my colors as much as possible.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Crap I'm entering panic mode haha.

One of my friend is a "journalist" for a blog which covers all sorts of music. She got me a Photo pass for a Streetlight Manifesto Show so I can take nice pictures for her.

This will be my first time taking pictures of a live band and I'd like it if at least some pictures were good hahaha.

So basically I'll get there with my 50mm 1.8 lens and camera at ISO 1600 right? I have a very old flash that my father gave me from when he took picture (an old vivitar electronic flash 2000), is it worth it to learn how to use it for that show or are you usually fine with the stage lights?

I guess I'd like any tips and tricks that would have helped you on your first show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Three more sets from my weekend. Getting into the more exciting ones now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622269985753/ - Darren Hayman (Ex Hefner member)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622396122856/ - David Thomas Broughton (Weird noise maker with a looper pedal)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622395801434/ - Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele (Insane band with tiny guitars)

Edit: And another.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622279358531/ - Bob Log III - HE WEARS A HELMET AND SPANDEX.

Edit: Worst one of the lot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157622404442782/ Dirty Projectors.

Too much red light. Came out with nothing useable.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 18, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Knux posted:

New promo that I enjoy a bit. Too bad they've already changed members so they probably won't use it.

Having a good time with cross-processing recently. It's completely changed the time spent in post since now I tweak my colors as much as possible.

A few small criticisms. I think the band is too close to the corn and it's making it look like a backdrop that had corn on it. I'd have put them another 5 feet forward if possible. The other is that the color or lack thereof on the sky doesn't fit the photo at all. This again adds to the whole backdrop thing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

Crap I'm entering panic mode haha.

One of my friend is a "journalist" for a blog which covers all sorts of music. She got me a Photo pass for a Streetlight Manifesto Show so I can take nice pictures for her.

This will be my first time taking pictures of a live band and I'd like it if at least some pictures were good hahaha.

So basically I'll get there with my 50mm 1.8 lens and camera at ISO 1600 right? I have a very old flash that my father gave me from when he took picture (an old vivitar electronic flash 2000), is it worth it to learn how to use it for that show or are you usually fine with the stage lights?

I guess I'd like any tips and tricks that would have helped you on your first show.
Read this: http://www.boudist.com/archive/2007/02/07/concert-photography-masterclass.php

Basically, shoot in aperture mode, spot metering, set your ISO to 800 or 1600 (lower if there's enough light) and go for it. Shoot in RAW mode.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 18, 2009

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

psylent posted:

Read this: http://www.boudist.com/archive/2007/02/07/concert-photography-masterclass.php

Basically, shoot in aperture mode, spot metering, set your ISO to 800 or 1600 (lower if there's enough light) and go for it. Shoot in RAW mode.

Thanks a lot. I always shoot in Raw so this was already covered. The article you provided is really nice, thanks a lot it will be of great help. I hope I can find a small show to practice before next friday because I really don't want to mess up, it would suck big time.

Since my RebelXT doesn't have spot metering I should use partial right? Is 1/60 fast enough to get something that isn't blurred most of the time? Or should I switch to a higher ISO if all I can get is something around that (if I'm not trying to record the movement)?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 18, 2009

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Concert photography is fun, don't sweat it. You have a lot of time to catch some good shots. Try to move around the area around the stage and if there isn't a dedicated pit, please be courteous to those in the front who aren't taking photos. When I go to shows where I want to just watch the band instead of shoot them, I get so annoyed by photographers who think they just own the front and they have a right to get in everyone's way. :argh:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

No. 9 posted:

Concert photography is fun, don't sweat it. You have a lot of time to catch some good shots. Try to move around the area around the stage and if there isn't a dedicated pit, please be courteous to those in the front who aren't taking photos. When I go to shows where I want to just watch the band instead of shoot them, I get so annoyed by photographers who think they just own the front and they have a right to get in everyone's way. :argh:

haha yeah I know what you mean, but don't worry I'm too shy to be an rear end in a top hat haha.

I'll be sure to show you guys the results.

pwn
May 27, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks a lot. I always shoot in Raw so this was already covered. The article you provided is really nice, thanks a lot it will be of great help. I hope I can find a small show to practice before next friday because I really don't want to mess up, it would suck big time.

Since my RebelXT doesn't have spot metering I should use partial right? Is 1/60 fast enough to get something that isn't blurred most of the time? Or should I switch to a higher ISO if all I can get is something around that (if I'm not trying to record the movement)?
1/60 is usually fast enough, though sometimes the band is more hyper than others. Do as best you can, it's unfortunate that XT is crippled to not have spot metering (seriously?) so meter as best you can, shoot, review, then manually adjust as necessary. You'll usually want to have the lens at max aperture and ISO cranked to 1600 (there's PP tricks to reduce noise etc.) So shutter is the only thing to play with.

For reference, I think all my shots at this show were at 1/60th and ISO 1600. That was with a well-lit venue, and slower lenses, so I had more freedom to use my other focal lengths. In the dreadfully low-light situations I am limited to one lens (50mm) because it's my fastest. I would also shoot in aperture priority, like psylent said.

pwn fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 19, 2009

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

pwn posted:

1/60 is usually fast enough, though sometimes the band is more hyper than others. Do as best you can, it's unfortunate that XT is crippled to not have spot metering (seriously?) so meter as best you can, shoot, review, then manually adjust as necessary. You'll usually want to have the lens at max aperture and ISO cranked to 1600 (there's PP tricks to reduce noise etc.) So shutter is the only thing to play with.

For reference, I think all my shots at this show were at 1/60th and ISO 1600. That was with a well-lit venue, and slower lenses, so I had more freedom to use my other focal lengths. In the dreadfully low-light situations I am limited to one lens (50mm) because it's my fastest. I would also shoot in aperture priority, like psylent said.

Thanks, but what are PP tricks? I have plenty of tricks to remove noise but I'm not sure what you mean by PP tricks. Yeah lacking spot metering isn't great but partial should do the job I suppose.

I'm thankful for all your answers guys.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Post Processing. One thing I do frequently with band photography is open the levels-adjusted "final" photo in Photoshop, duplicate the original layer, then Noise Ninja the original layer. I leave the duplicate alone and convert it to B&W, then blend it with the bottom layer, usually Overlay or Soft Light, depending on what kind of photo it is. I usually adjust the opacity of the layer too, since 100% is almost always too harsh an effect. This lets me keep a lot of the detail of the image, since the ugly digital noise looks better after B&W conversion.

I don't even always do the Noise Ninja step, it really depends on what each photo needs.

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pwn posted:

Post Processing. One thing I do frequently with band photography is open the levels-adjusted "final" photo in Photoshop, duplicate the original layer, then Noise Ninja the original layer. I leave the duplicate alone and convert it to B&W, then blend it with the bottom layer, usually Overlay or Soft Light, depending on what kind of photo it is. I usually adjust the opacity of the layer too, since 100% is almost always too harsh an effect. This lets me keep a lot of the detail of the image, since the ugly digital noise looks better after B&W conversion.

I don't even always do the Noise Ninja step, it really depends on what each photo needs.

If you nail your exposure properly, noise will be much less of a factor. Also, little things like bumping up the bottom end in levels adjustment can hide a lot of noise too.

Stage fog can lead to a lot of noise just like taking photos of clouds gives you lots of noise because it's such a fine gradient. If you increase the contrast between the subject and the background, that will make a lot of the background noise go away and make the photo punchier.

Realistically, unless you're making an intentional style choice, you shouldn't have to fall back to B&W if you play your cards right. You'd be surprised at how little noise everyone else other than yourself notices in your photos. Sometimes I'll have a photo that I think is a mess of noise but no one else notices or cares, even after I point it out. A good photo is still a good photo in the end.

I usually try to do as little post processing as I can get away with. Not for any artistic "straight out of the camera" type reasons, more because I want to be as efficient as possible and I don't want to get bogged down on small stuff, especially when I'm on a deadline.