Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Since they were promoting a Submissions Count Anywhere match with DX, and hyping DX as a team not tapping before tonight, I got to thinking: I don't think I've ever seen a tag team match end with a submission before. It seems really counter intuitive to the story of a normal tag match. I'm sure it's happened before, but when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

They've ended in submissions plenty of times it's just not many people have any established submission finishers.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wazzu posted:

Fixed.

Big stupid muscle is an intergral and extremely important part of wrestleing, and Batista shouln't feel ashamed.

Also, it's usually just too drat easy to break up a submission attempt in a tag match.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

TL posted:

Since they were promoting a Submissions Count Anywhere match with DX, and hyping DX as a team not tapping before tonight, I got to thinking: I don't think I've ever seen a tag team match end with a submission before. It seems really counter intuitive to the story of a normal tag match. I'm sure it's happened before, but when?

Back when WWE actually gave a gently caress about submission finishers, guys like Angle, Benoit, and Jericho won with their signature submission moves in tag matches all the time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

Big Show and Jericho vs Cryme Tyme

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It doesn't happen in WWE much because who the hell has sub finishers anymore? Not guys in dedicated tag teams.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

weekly font posted:

It doesn't happen in WWE much because who the hell has sub finishers anymore? Not guys in dedicated tag teams.

Chris Jericho :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Karmine posted:

Strike Force won the Tag belts with a submission victory over the Hart Foundation.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Karmine posted:

Was not in a dedicated tag team until a month ago. :colbert:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Strike Force won the Tag belts with a submission victory over the Hart Foundation.

22 years ago?! That's what you're using for proof?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Wazzu posted:

He's being pretty drat great for the last few years.

Not to knock Taker, but it's pretty easy for a wrestler with a decent talent set to produce quality matches when you're rarely expected to wrestle outside of PPVs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

22 years ago?! That's what you're using for proof?

Money Inc defeated The Natural Disasters by submission to win the tag belts, that recent enough for ya? :colbert:

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

TL posted:

Didn't Masters tap out just last Monday?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think it has more to do with the decline of tag team wrestling in the WWE than anything.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I think it has more to do with the decline of tag team wrestling in the WWE than anything.

I think what always hurt tag team wrestling was the brand split. Your rosters were too small to allow you to book several teams for each brand.

Now that they have one tag title again its better because you have several teams currently in contention like Jerishow, Cryme Tyme, Legacy, MarkVP, DX, etc.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Since I don't ask enough questions in this thread, here's a random one:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable based on the Baseball Furies? I've never seen one, and for some reason I think it would be awesome.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
ICP. I think that's as close as you're gonna get.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

Not to knock Taker, but it's pretty easy for a wrestler with a decent talent set to produce quality matches when you're rarely expected to wrestle outside of PPVs.

So "Not to knock Taker but I'm going to knock Taker"? :colbert:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

CombineThresher posted:

Since I don't ask enough questions in this thread, here's a random one:

Has there ever been a tag team or stable based on the Baseball Furies? I've never seen one, and for some reason I think it would be awesome.

They would have to sell baseball bats as their weapons and it would be even worse than HHH's sledgehammer of doom.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ultimateforce posted:

They would have to sell baseball bats as their weapons and it would be even worse than HHH's sledgehammer of doom.

Sting had a baseball bat and he did okay with it.

Hell, Sting was kind of a Baseball Fury in his rafter days.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Baseball Furry

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Batmanuel posted:

Baseball Furry

I have a gigantic mancrush on Kevin Burkhardt.

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007
Does R Truth sing his annoying loving song at House Shows? and has any audience member ever punched him in the face whilst hes been singing it?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

666sinders666 posted:

and has any audience member ever punched him in the face whilst hes been singing it?

:downsbravo:

What's the deal with the red ropes? I know the WWF used red, white and blue ropes until sometime in the 90s. Was changing to red ropes only just part of the attitude era, or what was the reason for it?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

:downsbravo:

What's the deal with the red ropes? I know the WWF used red, white and blue ropes until sometime in the 90s. Was changing to red ropes only just part of the attitude era, or what was the reason for it?

at first it was just a change for the era, and now its more of a brand identifier; smackdown blue, ecw silver.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I obsess over the whole rope color thing. Raw is red, SD is blue, ECW is silver. Which is fine. But then I got really hung up over the rope color on the PPVs. I liked when they used the black or white ropes for the big 4 shows, but then WrestleMania XXIV used red ropes and I got upset. Now I don't see any rhyme or reason to how they determine what ropes are used. Best I can think is that they'll use whatever fits their design for the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TL posted:

I obsess over the whole rope color thing. Raw is red, SD is blue, ECW is silver. Which is fine. But then I got really hung up over the rope color on the PPVs. I liked when they used the black or white ropes for the big 4 shows, but then WrestleMania XXIV used red ropes and I got upset. Now I don't see any rhyme or reason to how they determine what ropes are used. Best I can think is that they'll use whatever fits their design for the show.

look more carefully, they had Orange Ropes. Citrus Bowl. Orange Ropes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm all about rope color too, and I think for PPV they should be using something besides red and blue all the time. Summerslam is the only PPV I can recall this year other than red or blue ropes for PPV. Even Wrestlemania had standard Smackdown blue ropes. HiaC would be acceptable to have red ropes, since someone should bleed in those matches.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

bradzilla posted:

I'm all about rope color too, and I think for PPV they should be using something besides red and blue all the time. Summerslam is the only PPV I can recall this year other than red or blue ropes for PPV. Even Wrestlemania had standard Smackdown blue ropes. HiaC would be acceptable to have red ropes, since someone should bleed in those matches.

Judgement Day had white ropes too. I think they look better than the red or blue ones, but I'm glad they stopped using black ropes, they just look dingy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the American Bash had red, white and blue ropes one year. That was pretty cool.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I'm all about rope color too, and I think for PPV they should be using something besides red and blue all the time. Summerslam is the only PPV I can recall this year other than red or blue ropes for PPV. Even Wrestlemania had standard Smackdown blue ropes.

cobalt actually. it was a much darker shade of blue.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 15, 2009

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

grody but still def posted:

cobalt actually. it was a much darker shade of blue.

:colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

blunt posted:

:colbert:

He's not hitting his shoulder at all!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Think of how much work it would be to keep kayfabe going with all the access fans have nowadays thanks tot he internet. Plus no seedy road stories and shoot interviews.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Burrito posted:

He's not hitting his shoulder at all!

I was pointing out the rope color :3:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

Think of how much work it would be to keep kayfabe going with all the access fans have nowadays thanks tot he internet. Plus no seedy road stories and shoot interviews.

Which leads me to a question...

Would the WWE or TNA ever open itself up to a real documentary? To see what people are really like backstage and see how wrestlers interact and live day to day?

My guess is no.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

müse posted:

Would the WWE or TNA ever open itself up to a real documentary? To see what people are really like backstage and see how wrestlers interact and live day to day?

My guess is no.

TNA would do that all the time, for no reason whatsoever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

müse posted:

My guess is no.

WWE allowed two backstage documentaries I can think of be made - Wrestling With Shadows and Beyond The Mat - and became upset with conflicting interpretations on what would and would not be filmed for both. Wrestling With Shadows in particular details quite clearly the Harts going over the planning for a match, inter-cut with scenes from the match itself, which I think upset Vince even more than the pro-Bret stance the documentary took.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Is Zack Ryder the same person as this JR Ryder in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWGiEMLWTY

It's hard to get a good view of his face, but for some reason when Zack Ryder had long hair as part of the Major Brothers, I thought it was the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Zack would have been about 16 in 2001.