Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raspberry Bang posted:

Where is this thread at?

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2713

I would buy these two in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Criminal Minded posted:

I wanna print this off and leave it in my Nicholas Ray class to see if my professor freaks out.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Posting photoshops on announcement day is a dick move. :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheldrake posted:

Posting photoshops on announcement day is a dick move. :(

I considered editing my post to clarify they were fakes, but I figured people would figure it out from the context.

Not sure if we'll be getting new announcements today. It's already 7:30 on the east coast. They have done them later than this before, though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

Not sure if we'll be getting new announcements today. It's already 7:30 on the east coast. They have done them later than this before, though.

Probably not today since they just got back from ATP this weekend.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Probably not today since they just got back from ATP this weekend.

Figures... the one time I'm working late on the 15th. They'll probably post them tomorrow between 4 and 5 PM Pacific, as I'm driving home.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I considered editing my post to clarify they were fakes, but I figured people would figure it out from the context.

My heart skipped a beat on the "The Trial" DVD image, then the truth quickly clicked :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion really does need more Welles. They could always make an Welles/Shakespeare box like they did for Oliver's films; with Othello, Macbeth, Chimes of Midnight, and the incomplete Merchant of Venice. Not to mention add Filming Othello to the set.

At least with a Shakespeare box, they can justify it more since they'd be fresh to DVD except for Othello... and the previous DVD was terrible.

The Trial is a StudioCanal property, so it's at least likely Criterion can grab it. Either that or Lionsgate, but they seemed to have ended their run of StudioCanal import box sets.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Heh, niiiiiice.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Christmas Tale finally coming Dec. 1

http://www.criterion.com/films/474

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

doctor thodt posted:

A Christmas Tale finally coming Dec. 1

http://www.criterion.com/films/474

And it is coming out on Blu Ray after all. Now, where are the new announcements.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Now, where are the new announcements.

:f5: :f5: :f5:

:sigh:

Monsoon Wedding just got pushed back to November 20th. Leaving Z and the Makavejev set as the only October titles.

I'm not expecting any surprises this month, but I am hoping that the new titles in the AK100 box will have a simultaneous Eclipse set.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 16, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

First one to show up: Gimme Shelter on Blu-Ray, December 1st. Same extras, I think.

•Breathtaking new high-definition transfer of the uncensored 30th Anniversary version, remastered and restored from the camera original
•Exclusive Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround sound mixes
•Never-before-seen performances of the Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden in 1969, including “Little Queenie," “Oh Carol," and “Prodigal Son," plus backstage outtakes
•Audio commentary by directors Albert Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin, and collaborator Stanley Goldstein
•Excerpts from KSAN Radio’s Altamont wrap-up, recorded December 7, 1969, with new introductions by then-DJ, Stefan Ponek
•Altamont stills gallery, featuring the work of renowned photographers Bill Owens and Beth Sunflower
•Original and rerelease theatrical trailers, plus trailers for Maysles Films’ classics Grey Gardens and Salesman
•Filmographies for Maysles Films and Charlotte Zwerin
•Restoration demonstration
•English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
•Optimal image quality: RSDL dual layer edition
•PLUS: “The Rolling Stones, Altamont, and Gimme Shelter”: A 44-page booklet with essays by Jagger’s former assistant Georgia Bergman, music writers Michael Lydon and Stanley Booth, ex-Oakland Hell’s Angels chapter head Sonny Barger, and film critics Amy Taubin and Godfrey Cheshire

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy or didn't they already announce that

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Captain Charisma posted:

Not officially. It was on their initial list of titles that would be coming out on Blu.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Stagecoach (DVD/Blu)
Greed (DVD)
Rosellini War Trilogy (Paisan/Germany Year Zero/Open City)(DVD)
Che (DVD/Blu)
Gimme Shelter (Blu)
Mon Oncle (Blu)

Eclipse:
Von Sternberg at Paramount (Underworld/The Last Command/Docks of New York)

...would be a nice lineup.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

They announced Monterey Pop for Blu Ray. For might be thinking of that as they are both Concert films.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blech. They should really hire that dude who does all those great custom covers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

Blech. They should really hire that dude who does all those great custom covers.

For whatever reason I find images like the face on this cover to be extremely disorienting. This Star Trek box almost made me vomit:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

doctor thodt posted:

That was the original cover for when it fist came out on DVD. I was hoping for them to redo the cover for the Blu-Ray. :(

I'm still getting it though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

morestuff posted:

For whatever reason I find images like the face on this cover to be extremely disorienting. This Star Trek box almost made me vomit:

Sounds to me like you've got some kind of bizarre mental disorder.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Monsoon Wedding just got pushed back to November 20th. Leaving Z and the Makavejev set as the only October titles.

Where was this announced? criterion.com still has it as Oct 20.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Where was this announced? criterion.com still has it as Oct 20.

It said Nov 20th yesterday, they must have messed up the date.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1236

quote:

Due to delays in manufacturing our custom Blu-ray cases, we’ve been forced to move the street dates for several titles.

Monsoon Wedding (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Original release date: 10/13/09
New release date: 10/20/09

Wings of Desire (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Old street: 10/20/09
New street: 11/3/09

Howards End (Blu-ray edition)
Old street: 10/20/09
New street: 11/3/09

We are also moving the DVD edition of A Christmas Tale down from November to December in order to add a Blu-ray edition; both will street on the same day.

A Christmas Tale (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Original release date: 11/10/09
New release date: 12/01/09

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe they can delay Z to include a BluRay like they should have. :colbert:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder whether those delays in the case production are due to having to make extras for the digipak re-issues :ohdear:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

People are saying the December press release only mentions the AK box, Gimmer Shelter BR, and A Christmas Tale.

*box art not final

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Hrmmm yes the pricey and highly collectible Kurosawa shoe box.....

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are those keepcases or digipaks or books or what? I'd be really tempted to go for this if the packaging suited my fancy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

If you go to the main page, you can see some of the new Kurosawa covers in the "Coming Soon" area (although the links just go to the old covers).

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Ugh, that's a really nice looking set. Too bad I already own half of those..

Bet the retail price will be ridiculous.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Ugh, that's a really nice looking set. Too bad I already own half of those..

Bet the retail price will be ridiculous.

It said MSRP $400.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
The fact that these discs all appear to be barebones is enough to dissuade me from picking this set up.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Criterion store has their price listed as $320 so expect Amazon's to be a bit lower.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're patient, your best bet is to just wait around til the next B&N 50% off Criterion sale. Add 10% member discount and an additional 10%/15%/20% coupon (they're always available) and you'll be looking at about $162/$153/$144 for the set (assuming B&N carries it - and also assuming they don't run that promo again before it's released).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hopefully B&N waits until next summer. I pretty much got everything I wanted to own between it and the Amazon sale. The only exceptions are holdouts for BluRay like the rest of the Tati films, Bergman, stuff on Blu in the UK (The Red Shoes, 39 Steps, etc), and other likely Blus.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wasn't this the first time B&N has ever run a deal like that? Are we safe in assuming it would ever happen again?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Is anyone else noticing that the Kurosawa box is coming up on the Coming Soon section of the home page, but when you click it you get a 404?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Friedpundit posted:

Is anyone else noticing that the Kurosawa box is coming up on the Coming Soon section of the home page, but when you click it you get a 404?

Yeah it's been like that all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Need some quick help. Might take advantage of that Essential Art House sale, but I can't decide between Volume 1 and Volume 4. Suggestions?