Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I was racing an SUV to a parking spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
This is how i dismount when i need to sneak into one of those silly 'bike' sized parks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsAQnLYRkfg#t=3m25s

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bucephalus posted:

I'm trying to picture myself holding the bike up while I swing a leg over. Ain't seein' it.
Don't forget that we have an exercise in the motorcycle exam that can only be described as 'walking with a bike'.

To be honest I don't know why this is the 'proper' way to dismount. I'm guessing it has to do with being able to jump away if the jiffy fails to hold up the bike. I'll ask my instructor the next time I see him. :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Mercator posted:

Don't forget that we have an exercise in the motorcycle exam that can only be described as 'walking with a bike'.

To be honest I don't know why this is the 'proper' way to dismount. I'm guessing it has to do with being able to jump away if the jiffy fails to hold up the bike. I'll ask my instructor the next time I see him. :)

The what now?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The Hypermotard is still in the shop waiting for front rotors to come from Italy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode to work today, since I had an early meeting. I usually take the Metro since work pays for it, but between the awesome weather and the need to get in a little early, I just had to do it. Such a nice day.

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
After the battery terminal post broke mid-traffic, I used three band-aids, a ponytail holder, and a couple of tool kit wrenches to keep electrical contact long enough for me to into my parking lot.

Also, I bought a new battery.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Anyone wanna play a guessing game? Ok, here we go - I own a 1980 Suzuki GS, my oil has been drained, my battery box, left crash bar and side cover have been removed. What am I doing?

here's a hint!
http://www.ravensys.net/sa/bike_sidecover.jpg

If you guessed "Replacing the stator and the regulator, you win a prize! After turning over slowly and being less than enthusiastic about starting when I went to dinner, it started fine when leaving the restaurant. Buuuuut.... I stopped at a friends house to see her new table, and when I went to leave the bike wouldn't turn over. We jumpstarted it, I drove it home and tossed the battery on the charger where it registered only a 60% charge.

I let it charge overnight, and then ran through the stator test pages over at the GS forums, and was only getting about 12.5 volts at the battery at idle and 2,000 rpm, and the voltage only dropped further as I revved up to 5,000rpm.

Also, the terminal connections from the stator output wires to the regulator were hot as gently caress, and I'd only had the bike running for about 5 minutes. An Ohms test between the output wires and also between each leg and the engine case pointed towards a bad stator, so a new stator and regulator was ordered from ElectroSport and should be arriving on the 4th.

http://www.ravensys.net/sa/bike_stator1.jpg
http://www.ravensys.net/sa/bike_stator2.jpg

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Zool posted:

The what now?

Another word for kickstand, seemingly only used in the US by harley riders.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Troubleshot (..troubleshooted?) my electrical system for upwards of 5 hours. Finally finished assembling my bike and the drat engine won't kick.

p.s. if anyone has worked on an ex500 before, PM me for the love of god :smith:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Troubleshot (..troubleshooted?) my electrical system for upwards of 5 hours. Finally finished assembling my bike and the drat engine won't kick.

p.s. if anyone has worked on an ex500 before, PM me for the love of god :smith:

PM teknicolor, she knows all about this.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Rode in to work this morning with ear plugs, my first time using them. Man, what a difference, for the better, ear plugs make.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Ordered new grips a month ago, finally got around to putting them on.

I cut too much off the left, but It was in a solid ring so I've since shoved it into place. Can't even tell it was off to begin with.

Also just got some sweet audio books for when I gotta superslab it home to bring my dad his tools back. :( Gotta get my own torque wrench.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Thought you were cooking some lunch on a particularly hot day there, for a second.

Yes, I know that doesn't even make sense. Its just what my eyes saw before my brain interjected. :downs:

P.S. do you have a Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen near you? They usually lend out tools (like torque wrenches) for free. I had to "buy" it, and they refunded the total when I brought it back.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

sirbeefalot posted:

Thought you were cooking some lunch on a particularly hot day there, for a second.

Yes, I know that doesn't even make sense. Its just what my eyes saw before my brain interjected. :downs:

P.S. do you have a Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen near you? They usually lend out tools (like torque wrenches) for free. I had to "buy" it, and they refunded the total when I brought it back.

I've thought about going to autozone to get a touque wrench, but my dad and I were wrenching on my car this weekend, and i brought some of his stuff back with me for the bike.

also: mmm, budget mac n cheese. tastes like dad used to make.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Methusulah posted:

also: mmm, budget mac n cheese. tastes like dad used to make.

Isn't the real stuff like $1.80? What kinda budget are you on???

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Finished up the stator/regulator replacement that I started yesterday.

http://ravensys.net/sa/bike_newstator.jpg

In addition to the stator and regulator, I also swapped the original control bars for a nice new Daytona unit with a set of Oury grips. Looks muuuuuch better, and sitting on it feels a lot nicer too. I'm looking forward to giving the new bars a test ride tomorrow.

http://ravensys.net/sa/bike_daytonaside.jpg
http://ravensys.net/sa/bike_daytonafront.jpg

(and yes, I did clean up the cabling on the bars. I just didn't take a picture 'cause my batteries died)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Took both wheels off the Husky, ran to cyclegear to get them mounted only to find I overlooked the fact that I need tubes and have to order them. Went back home and remounted the wheels just to move the bike back in storage. gently caress there goes my weekend.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Do shops not stock tubes for 17in tires? I guess I better order some too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Do shops not stock tubes for 17in tires? I guess I better order some too.

They had I think 5 inch wide and I needed six for the rear. I pushed for an alternative, but shop policy says they need to replace them and not mount certain tires without them. They don't seem to carry much for supermoto at all, had to order distanzas from newenough.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Installed delkevic SS slip on muffler. I took the stock one of with a hacksaw, can't say I recommend it. Just call a buddy with a sawsall. I thought I would leave the DB reducer in but I took it out and it sounds so nice I don't think it's going back in.

Best 150 bucks spent on any vehicle I have owned.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Put a bikini fairing on my Yamaha Maxim.

Click here for the full 1309x1039 image.

Works well enough at creating a small pocket of space at 60+ mph and it blacks out that annoying chrome bucket headlight.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Put a bikini fairing on my Yamaha Maxim.

that's pretty nice, where did you find it?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Raven457 posted:

that's pretty nice, where did you find it?

Found it on eBay for $50.00 plus shipping under the name "cafe racer fairing." It's labeled "EMGO" and basically connects to the bolts on the sides of the bucket headlight with two L-shaped brackets. I had to bend them to get them to fit my headlight, so some minor modification of the brackets will probably be required for most bikes.

Honestly, it's pretty cheap, but easily worth the 50 bucks. It's a little flimsy being all plastic, and it'll vibrate a bit as the wind kicks it around, but it does fine at holding together and creating a little pocket of space.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Beat on a bearing, destroyed a screwdriver, and finally went to the store to pick up a new torch and a drift punch. :sigh:

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs. I also cleaned and lubed the chain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Correctly installed bearing, with the right tools, and prepped the bike for next week's trackdays at Thill.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Reupholstered the seat on the transalp. I'll post a photo or two tomorrow.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I installed a new headlamp assembly! Here's the piece of poo poo I was replacing...

https://www.ravensys.net/sa/lamp/IMG_0374.JPG

Yeah, that looks pretty awesome, doesn't it. Oh, but it gets better...
https://www.ravensys.net/sa/lamp/IMG_0375.JPG

Yes, that really is duct tape, on the back of an ancient cloudy glass lens, with no bulb retainer, shoved into a Vetter bucket, with no adjustment points. Don't ask me how the PO saw anything at night, 'cause each time I took it to work in the early pre-dawn morning I was driving by braille. Don't ask me how it passed inspection either.

The new item:
http://www.ravensys.net/sa/lamp/IMG_0364.JPG
http://www.ravensys.net/sa/lamp/IMG_0378.JPG
http://www.ravensys.net/sa/lamp/IMG_0381.JPG

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Valve adjustment, 1800 miles. One intake and one exhaust out of spec. I'm really glad changing shims doesn't require pulling the cam shafts.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Made sure it was still leaking oil like normal. Yup.

Also cleaned and lubed my chain.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I finally got the Hypermotard back after five weeks in the shop. Apparently, getting parts from Italy is quite an ordeal. I needed new front rotors and a new main wiring harness.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bung posted:

I needed new front rotors and a new main wiring harness.

May I ask why?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Spiffness posted:

May I ask why?

The front brakes were making humming sound when coming to a stop. The rotors were warped. I didn't know that I needed the wiring harness until the shop had the bike for a few days. Apparently the dash was flickering which meant that the harness had to be replaced. I had never experienced that problem while I had the bike. But it was all covered by warranty and I'm just happy to have it back.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

bung posted:

The front brakes were making humming sound when coming to a stop. The rotors were warped. I didn't know that I needed the wiring harness until the shop had the bike for a few days. Apparently the dash was flickering which meant that the harness had to be replaced. I had never experienced that problem while I had the bike. But it was all covered by warranty and I'm just happy to have it back.

"Looks like a frayed wire...uh I mean bad wiring harness." Who the hell replaces a harness?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

I improvised a little extra pouch to keep some little stuff in, mostly my chain and lock

Added a sticker or 2

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

"Looks like a frayed wire...uh I mean bad wiring harness." Who the hell replaces a harness?

It looks like it's a common problem on the Hyper.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Have you thought of getting the larger fuel tank for the hyper? Stock tank gets what 80 miles to it?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So after my signals stopped working alltogether after having worked weirdly since I got the bike I replaced the flasher relay. Turns out there were three pins but the relay that was inside only had two?? Now the signals work perfectly. Also I forgot to switch the tank back to the open position after putting it on so my bike died on an intersection and I took forever to figure it out after having pushed it onto the pavement. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

niethan posted:

Also I forgot to switch the tank back to the open position after putting it on so my bike died on an intersection and I took forever to figure it out after having pushed it onto the pavement. :o:

Hahaha I did this on my MSF. I can't believe the bike went so far with with it closed. Which meant I didn't think that was why it died. :o: