Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Uncle Ulty posted:

Is Zack Ryder the same person as this JR Ryder in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWGiEMLWTY

It's hard to get a good view of his face, but for some reason when Zack Ryder had long hair as part of the Major Brothers, I thought it was the same guy.

JR Ryder... Didn't he invent the between the legs slam dunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Zack wouldn't ruin his pristine with that horrid ink on his shoulders...you know it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I'm happy cos Zack Ryder went from Chavo status to #1 contender status.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Veg posted:

I'm happy cos Zack Ryder went from Chavo status to #1 contender status.

Yeah, because Chavo was never involved in the ECW title scene.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

Jerusalem posted:

WWE allowed two backstage documentaries I can think of be made - Wrestling With Shadows and Beyond The Mat - and became upset with conflicting interpretations on what would and would not be filmed for both. Wrestling With Shadows in particular details quite clearly the Harts going over the planning for a match, inter-cut with scenes from the match itself, which I think upset Vince even more than the pro-Bret stance the documentary took.

There was a documentary on one of the WM dvds, 20 or 21 it must be, it shows footage from an earlier year with Brock doing the shooting star which was 19? Its called The Mania of Wrestlemania. That has footage of them backstage before and after the matches.

edit: http://www.wrestling101.com/101/newsitem/509/

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Yeah, because Chavo was never involved in the ECW title scene.

Chavo has been a jobber since he dropped the ECW title.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

When watching Japanese clips on youtube, while I don't understand the words, I like to think I can read the inflections and meter a little bit, and it seems very much like they're not in any way conversational. While I don't like WWE people talking over big moves, I think I'd get annoyed if the "commentary" was simply just guys running off the move names. What sort of thing do the Japanese guys talk about?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Captain Strange posted:

While I don't like WWE people talking over big moves, I think I'd get annoyed if the "commentary" was simply just guys running off the move names.

Don't listen to ECW Joey Styles...

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained
Someone posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-l-oeDEPIk&NR=1 in another thread and it drummed up a couple questions of mine.

1) When was the last time WWE had an anti-American type heel? Was it Hassan/The Un-Americans, or was there someone more recent? I know sometimes a wrestler will get cheap heat by insulting whatever town they're in, and I know Regal recently made some crack about the US, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about it being an actual gimmick.

2) I remember hearing Hassan got actual death threats and it made me think of other stories of classic heels being harrassed by crazed marks. Does this still happen? When was the last instance?

3) Is it true Daivari actually spoke Persian?

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Over-Sold posted:

Someone posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-l-oeDEPIk&NR=1 in another thread and it drummed up a couple questions of mine.

1) When was the last time WWE had an anti-American type heel? Was it Hassan/The Un-Americans, or was there someone more recent? I know sometimes a wrestler will get cheap heat by insulting whatever town they're in, and I know Regal recently made some crack about the US, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about it being an actual gimmick.

Kozlov?

quote:

2) I remember hearing Hassan got actual death threats and it made me think of other stories of classic heels being harrassed by crazed marks. Does this still happen? When was the last instance?

Chris Jericho last year.

quote:

3) Is it true Daivari actually spoke Persian?
Yes, he spoke fluent Farsi.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained

nyratk1 posted:

Kozlov?
See, I thought it might be him, but I don't really remember him being so much anti-American as much as pro-Russian, and I'm not going to hold a little bit of national pride against a guy (which I guess makes me a bad mark).

nyratk1 posted:

Chris Jericho last year.
Huh, I wouldn't've thought Jericho of all people. I mean, I know he's a good heel, but what exactly did he do that pissed someone off so much? Was it that incident where his car got rushed or something and he hit a woman?

nyratk1 posted:

Yes, he spoke fluent Farsi.
That's awesome. I've been on a huge Hassan kick for some reason today, watching just about everything I can find of him. Poor guy had a nice, sympathetic gimmick at first- an Arab-American who just wanted to be a wrestler and loved America... and then redneck racist fuckholes turned him heel and even though it made him entertaining, it was really bullshit. Watching him slowly go from a man rocking a suit in ways that only Regal and Jericho could match, to a man in a suit with a keffiyeh (which still looked bad rear end), to a man in a keffiyeh and dishdasha who I can only assume Vince told to "Aye-rab it up" was depressing. Him being forced more and more to play into stereotypes, especially since his original gimmick was supposed to be against anti-Arab stereotypes... just so lovely. Damnit wrestling.

edit: Does anyone remember a promo of his, probably when he was starting out, when he was getting heavy heat and, of course, the crowd started chanting U.S.A. and he just sort of looked at them :smug:ly and said something along the lines of "I'm an American, idiots"? I might have made that up, actually, but I could swear something like that happened...

Over-Sold fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 17, 2009

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Over-Sold posted:

See, I thought it might be him, but I don't really remember him being so much anti-American as much as pro-Russian, and I'm not going to hold a little bit of national pride against a guy (which I guess makes me a bad mark).

I think he was more anti-American on Smackdown.

Also, in some indy fed, Kofi had an anti-American gimmick. It was really weird seeing him heel it up.

quote:

Huh, I wouldn't've thought Jericho of all people. I mean, I know he's a good heel, but what exactly did he do that pissed someone off so much? Was it that incident where his car got rushed or something and he hit a woman?

Yeah.

quote:

Does anyone remember a promo of his, probably when he was starting out, when he was getting heavy heat and, of course, the crowd started chanting U.S.A. and he just sort of looked at them :smug:ly and said something along the lines of "I'm an American, idiots"? I might have made that up, actually, but I could swear something like that happened...
I think I remember that.

nyratk1 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 17, 2009

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Some mark fans (I believe in Canada) got out of control and basically tried to dogpile Jericho/his rental car. I imagine this would happen more often if the arena security was always as hapless as it was in this instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxM3nLleA9s

quote:

edit: Does anyone remember a promo of his, probably when he was starting out, when he was getting heavy heat and, of course, the crowd started chanting U.S.A. and he just sort of looked at them :smug:ly and said something along the lines of "I'm an American, idiots"? I might have made that up, actually, but I could swear something like that happened...

He would bring up that he was from Detroit a lot. At first it was sort of a "thinking man's gimmick" but anyone could see where it would eventually go, in the same way Jericho has become more of a subtle comedy heel as far as promos go, rather than a champion against Shawn Michaels and fan hypocrisy or whatever.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He would bring up that he was from Detroit a lot. At first it was sort of a "thinking man's gimmick" but anyone could see where it would eventually go, in the same way Jericho has become more of a subtle comedy heel as far as promos go, rather than a champion against Shawn Michaels and fan hypocrisy or whatever.

I noticed Jericho's recent change, with "I'm not gonna fight you either!" to Shaq and his willingness to take on Bob Barker. I guess this is them starting to maybe turn him face/comedy heel again, or at least planting some seeds for when he and Show finally break up.

Back to Hassan though, I honestly though he was just going to be a regular blue chipper when his promos started and I was disappointed in people because I thought it was the fan's racism that made them turn him. If what you're saying is right, well, I guess that's just the usual stereotyping bullshit from WWE (and really all wrestling promotions) I've grown to grudginly accept and somehow that makes me feel a bit better about how things went down... though it probably shouldn't. Still, that man was a heat magnet, he could come back now and be the number one heel in WWE in about 2 weeks and never even need to hold a major championship.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Back to Hassan though, I honestly though he was just going to be a regular blue chipper when his promos started and I was disappointed in people because I thought it was the fan's racism that made them turn him. If what you're saying is right, well, I guess that's just the usual stereotyping bullshit from WWE (and really all wrestling promotions) I've grown to grudginly accept and somehow that makes me feel a bit better about how things went down... though it probably shouldn't. Still, that man was a heat magnet, he could come back now and be the number one heel in WWE in about 2 weeks and never even need to hold a major championship.

Well all I'm saying is that WWE doesn't do "thinking man's heel" unless the heel is allowed to write his own material. And within the storybook fantasyland of WWE, the heel is still the bad guy even if his argument makes sense in some measure. So rather than being persecuted, Hassan was just being a jerk and picking fights with people who didn't have any problem with him to begin with, you see! U-S-A!

Also in case you are not sped up on Hassan, the Undertaker essentially kayfabe killed him at Great American Bash '05 by Last Riding him through the stage. The guy who played him has pretty much dropped off the face of the Earth, not a peep from him that I can find since then--which suggests he either left on bad terms or decided to be a plumber or something.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Over-Sold posted:

I noticed Jericho's recent change, with "I'm not gonna fight you either!" to Shaq and his willingness to take on Bob Barker. I guess this is them starting to maybe turn him face/comedy heel again, or at least planting some seeds for when he and Show finally break up.

Well, Shaq is 7' tall and Bob Barker is 85, so I can see why a guy would be willing to fight one and not the other...

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Question: how many times has WWE rehashed the Montreal Screwjob?

Off the top of my head I can think of

Rock/Mankind Survivor Series

Rock/Hogan II No Way Out

Punk/Undertaker Breaking Point

I'm guessing I'm missing some?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

reality_groove posted:

Question: how many times has WWE rehashed the Montreal Screwjob?

On top of the ones you mentioned, during the Rock/Benoit feud in the summer of 2000 they had a submission match on Raw with Shane McMahon (managing Benoit at the time) as the guest referee. Benoit got Rock in the crossface, and when Rock was trying to get to the ropes his hand brushed the canvas. Shane called for the bell.

Another Benoit moment was at Backlash 2004 in Edmonton. There was a rematch of the WrestleMania XX main event, and Michaels got Benoit in a sharpshooter. Earl Hebner started freaking out, looking for all the world like he was gonna call for the ball whether Benoit tapped or not. The crowd ate it up.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

While Shawn Michaels was feuding with the McMahons, he had a match against Shane. They KO'd Shawn, put him in the Sharpshooter, and rang the bell.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Honestly, at this point I think Montreal like the rest of the Wrestling World does not give a poo poo about Bret. Its just one of those things that has become part of the wrestling shows and the crowd loves being a part of it, hell Shawn does too.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky_b-RLCWVY

Osaka Screwjob

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Axissillian posted:

Honestly, at this point I think Montreal like the rest of the Wrestling World does not give a poo poo about Bret. Its just one of those things that has become part of the wrestling shows and the crowd loves being a part of it, hell Shawn does too.

Yeah Shawn is just a good performer and knows hes going to get it in Montreal so he plays along, but the crowd just chants it because they can, most of them never even saw Bret wrestle...

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Slaapaav posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky_b-RLCWVY

Osaka Screwjob

Favoring without watching yet.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

They were both in the lower midcard, but the WWE clearly wanted them to be headlining in the near future. Evolution was their grand plan to do this.

The stable was billed as being the past (Flair), present (HHH) and future (Orton and Batista) of wrestling. As you might guess, the plan was to have HHH in the main events on RAW with the other three involved in his activities and storylines. The result was to have some of HHH's success brush off onto the duo as WWE wanted Orton and Batista in the main event in the near future.

Then those two got injured at a house show in 2003 which put the plan on hold for a while. When they came back, it's like the WWE never bothered to re-instate the plan and the two wallowed in the upper midcard for a while. It wasn't until Orton's surprise WHC win and Batista's defection did the two finally get up there.

Honestly, it took YEARS for people to warm up to Orton because nobody was buying him for the longest time.

Sorry to rehash the Evolution talk, but does anyone remember the dirtsheets talking about Triple H's four horsemen variation for the year+ leading up to them actually forming?

I remember Mark Jindrak was heavily rumored to be a part of it. Then I want to say there were a few other guys, maybe Lance Cade or Sean O'haire? I just remember the dirtsheets having a blurb about Triple H's upcoming group for quite awhile before they actually debuted. Then I remember something happening where both Orton and Batista were finalized as members before Wrestlemania 19, but then they both seemed to get hurt within a few weeks of each other.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also in case you are not sped up on Hassan, the Undertaker essentially kayfabe killed him at Great American Bash '05 by Last Riding him through the stage. The guy who played him has pretty much dropped off the face of the Earth, not a peep from him that I can find since then--which suggests he either left on bad terms or decided to be a plumber or something.

Probably bad terms; according to Lance Storm, Hassan was an rear end in a top hat who couldn't wrestle and was always getting hurt, and given the short shelf life of that type of character, he didn't go out of his way to secure longterm employment for himself.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

666sinders666 posted:

Does R Truth sing his annoying loving song at House Shows? and has any audience member ever punched him in the face whilst hes been singing it?

I sure hope he's not there - I'm going to a house show this Sunday.

Background: I stopped watching wrestling from the beginning of 2002-around the 2009 Royal Rumble. Perusing YouTube, I found a couple clips with Triple H involved in some sort of racist angle with Booker T, which also seemed to involve Vince dropping the 'N' word talking to Cena with Booker T nearby.

I know in today's pretty PG wrestling world this wouldn't fly but what the hell was the reaction to this back when it first aired?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

I sure hope he's not there - I'm going to a house show this Sunday.

Background: I stopped watching wrestling from the beginning of 2002-around the 2009 Royal Rumble. Perusing YouTube, I found a couple clips with Triple H involved in some sort of racist angle with Booker T, which also seemed to involve Vince dropping the 'N' word talking to Cena with Booker T nearby.

I know in today's pretty PG wrestling world this wouldn't fly but what the hell was the reaction to this back when it first aired?

The Booker T storyline was absolute bullshit. The entire time leading up to his match against HHH for the WORLD TITLE at Wrestlemania 19, Triple H constantly cut "your kind don't get to win championships at mania. You're just supposed to entertain us and make us laugh." The entire buildup had it done in a way that Booker T HAD to win the title. Then a few days before Mania, everyone found out Goldberg was signing with WWE so they just had HHH retain in the worst possible way. He hits the Pedigree, HHH collapses, rests for about 10-20 seconds, rolls over, covers Booker, gets the 3. Made Booker T look like a total joke and like he didn't belong anywhere near the main event. Add in to the fact that Goldberg and HHH didn't even start feuding until the summer, and it's even more baffling. It makes no sense why they couldn't have given Booker at least a 30 day reign or something.

Katie Cou Baby Boo
Jul 10, 2009

by The Finn

Shitty_Wok posted:

which also seemed to involve Vince dropping the 'N' word talking to Cena with Booker T nearby.

This was pretty much glossed over.

tangental question: was there ever a booker T "Can you dig it suckaaaaa" tshirt that looked like the old ipod commercials and had him looking at his hand and doing the hairshake or am I just making that up?

Katie Cou Baby Boo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 19, 2009

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
Well then, I can't say as I'm sad I missed it. I guess I also dodged a bullet with the HHH-Kane corpse-banging storyline.

Man, what happened to you HHH? You used to be cool a decade ago.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nobody mentioned it but Vince saying "nigga" and the HHH/Booker feud were not related and in fact happened years apart from each other.

HHH/Booker was 2003 and Vince saying my nigga was 2005.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I got the idea that we should compile a list of, say, the 100 top defining moments in wrestling. If this has been done, we could always do an updated version since some recent important poo poo has happened. Would there be any interest in doing this? Has it been done? If so, what thread/s has it spawned? This might make me actually get archives.

Also, what is the irc channel? I swear I read the rules and FAQ 20 times and missed it.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Nobody mentioned it but Vince saying "nigga" and the HHH/Booker feud were not related and in fact happened years apart from each other.

HHH/Booker was 2003 and Vince saying my nigga was 2005.

Ah, ok. The videos didn't have dates that I could see, and I just figured they were around the same time.

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained

Batmanuel posted:

I got the idea that we should compile a list of, say, the 100 top defining moments in wrestling. If this has been done, we could always do an updated version since some recent important poo poo has happened. Would there be any interest in doing this? Has it been done? If so, what thread/s has it spawned? This might make me actually get archives.

Also, what is the irc channel? I swear I read the rules and FAQ 20 times and missed it.

I'm game, but would it be in a serious manner, such as "Austin 3:16" and the Montreal Screwjob, or in a joking, mocking manner, such as D-X bested the entire Spirit Squad and mailing them to OVW?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Batmanuel posted:

#wrestling on SynIRC

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
The Taker segment on Smackdown was hilarious and I'm trying to think of other times people have being kidnapped in limos, ambulances and other automobiles. Of the top of my head, I can think of:

Undertaker and Steph
Kane and Shane
Kane and Lita (or was it Matt Hardy?)
Kane and Paul Bearer by DX
Cactus Jack by DX

Can anyone think of any more?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Triple H kidnapping Steph and marrying her?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

The Taker segment on Smackdown was hilarious and I'm trying to think of other times people have being kidnapped in limos, ambulances and other automobiles. Of the top of my head, I can think of:

Undertaker and Steph
Kane and Shane
Kane and Lita (or was it Matt Hardy?)
Kane and Paul Bearer by DX
Cactus Jack by DX

Can anyone think of any more?

not sure if this fits but the time dx showed up on raw in a limo and owen dives through the roof and they drive off.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

not sure if this fits but the time dx showed up on raw in a limo and owen dives through the roof and they drive off.
you know looking back, the DX vs Owen feud was some good stuff

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

grody but still def posted:

unfortunately they had owen do the "look how tough i am when i snarl" face aka the diego sanchez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

grody but still def posted:

Owens entire blackhart run was great up until the nugget promo. It even lead to one of my fave little details in the tag match at the Febuary In Your House. Austin is looking to tag someone and locks eyes with Owen, for a second he hesistates remembering that Owen broke his neck, before saying 'gently caress it' and tagging out. The two work together for like 20 seconds, and I marked like crazy.