Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Cojawfee posted:

Yet some of their guitars are still cheaper than Gibsons.

If you have an MBA and 10+ years of executive experience, you can help fix that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

HOLY poo poo, that is an expensive guitar...

Im sorry, but its fugly. Breedlove or not.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

I just got another Ibanez RG in today. Should I go for a set of breeds or EMGs? Ive got evolutions in my other RG.

edit- it looks like 81/85 is the set to go for with EMGS? What about a single coil middle that would go along with this?

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2009

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Optiquest posted:

I just got another Ibanez RG in today. Should I go for a set of breeds of EMGs? Ive got evolutions in my other RG.

edit- it looks like 81/85 is the set to go for with EMGS? What about a single coil middle that would go along with this?

EMG SA

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

beep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that a sticker with someone's signature on it?

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002
^^ Sup Fellow Peavey Owner!

I just picked this up from CL. I normally wouldn't touch anything with "Peavey" on it, but this amp sounds really great. It's a mid to late 80's model Peavey Classic 50. 4x10, 50 Watts. It sounds smooth and doesn't break up very much at all on the clean channel. The previous owner had it for 20 years or so and in that time he replaced the tubes and also had an effects loop installed!

I am pretty impressed with it, overall.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is that a sticker with someone's signature on it?

Its packing tape preserving Steve Vais signature.

Krazny_Oktyabr posted:

Peavey C50

Does it have stock speakers? I put a weber Blue Bell in mine. Its awesome.

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002

MrWeight posted:

I've never posted my poo poo ever so here it is.

I used to own this amp and I regret the day I sold it :(

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Just bought this baby on ebay today. Early 70s Ampeg V-2, 60W of non master volume joy. Probably gonna take a couple weeks to make it from Colorado Springs up to Winnipeg via parcel post. I can't wait.

It appears to have been modified a bit. The extra switch seen above (labelled "lights") apparently actually turns on a small chassis fan. The guy who I bought it from didn't check what it did or seem to really know much about this amp anyway, but I think below is an effects loop mod:

Apparantly channel 1 has somewhat of a buzz and all the pots are dirty. The reverb doesn't work either. I got this thing cheap ($540 shipped internationally) so I don't mind that it's going to take some cash to get it fixed up. I've wanted an Ampeg V for quite some time so this is going to be goddamn sweet.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 17, 2009

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yay, I can post in this thread. :shobon:

It's pretty nice.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
Hooray for samplers:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Krazny_Oktyabr posted:

^^ Sup Fellow Peavey Owner!

I just picked this up from CL. I normally wouldn't touch anything with "Peavey" on it, but this amp sounds really great. It's a mid to late 80's model Peavey Classic 50. 4x10, 50 Watts. It sounds smooth and doesn't break up very much at all on the clean channel. The previous owner had it for 20 years or so and in that time he replaced the tubes and also had an effects loop installed!

I am pretty impressed with it, overall.

Hehe... I took the Peavey logos off of both of my speaker grilles also.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wonder Bread posted:

Hooray for samplers:

Ever had an Akai MPC? If so, do you like this one better?

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

Yoozer posted:

Ever had an Akai MPC? If so, do you like this one better?

This is my first foray into the MPC world, so no, never owned an Akai. I futzed with them a number of times at guitar center before ordering, I ended up liking the workflow on the Roland better-- and you can hook it up to a VGA monitor which makes it even easier to futz with, especially if you're editing a lot of smaller events. The pads on the Roland are quite stiff, which I don't like, but I was willing to live with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Partly inspired by being loving mad broke lately I've added a new area to my gear blog where I discuss and link to the best of the best in free VSTs, stuff that I use in my studio all the time even though I have access to a lot of great commercial software. Amp and pedal modeling, effects, and tracking/mixing/mastering plugins are the main things. My new-gear-day posts in this thread will be few and far between for awhile, and if the economy's getting you down as bad as it is me, you might want to check out some of the amazing free software out there. This is not a replacement for and it never could be competition compared to KVR or Rekkerd or any of the big free software aggregation sites; however the signal-to-noise ratio at those places can get in the way of finding a tool set that works for you at a quality level that won't stand in the way of good mixes. I'm only linking to plugins that I use all the time and that I think provide real alternatives to commercial software.

Hopefully it'll be useful to some of y'all if you're getting into DAW recording and need to find some great tools among the tons and tons of stuff out there.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 17, 2009

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Well, my band kept pressuring me to go back to fretted basses. Decided to hold out with what little money i had to see if i could get another Pedulla to go with my fretless. I was settling to go for a cheaper model like a bolt on Rapture or Thunderbolt, but manage to come by a beat up MVP5 in black at a price i couldnt refuse!

The fretless. A lovely MVP5, minus the diamondkote polyester finish on the board. I may get it refinished when i have the spare moolah. And yes that is 5AAAAA Solid flame maple. Top dog model. Its about 4700 dollars worth new, but because of the 5A's it'll come to about 6200 dollars! That is not including the hardcase either!

Looks alot better in real life with a decent camera!

The new fretted one :) Its pretty beat up. However i tend to think that if a custom shop instrument like this has been worn/played as much as it has been, it's probably a good un! Seriously, really great playing bass. I will probably change out the chrome hardware for matching black. Eventually i will get around to refinishing the bass in black again. Though Pedulla refuse to send me a new logo. Will have to try and sand around it! Its a 17.5 MM string spacing as opposed to the fretless 19MM. A little different but no real biggy. I am still not a fan of Bartolini pickups. A bit cold and lifeless. But seriously. Pedulla basses are lovely.

Luckily, Pedullas depreciate a hell of alot. It loses 50% of the value as soon as it leaves with its first owner. So i can pick them up at reasonable prices. (The fretless came to about £1100 and the fretted £950.

Asomodai fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 17, 2009

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

MrLonghair posted:

Tried a friends EMX out, does things right, sounds a fair bit nicer to my ears with proper tubes, but I can't part with the EM1 and EA1 and go to just one machine. It's the 303 & 909 thing, I need a synth and a drum machine.

Would you run into a lack of synth parts or are there too few effects parts? Or are synth drums lovely?

I haven't run into many gently caress Me I Need A Synth situations, but I also have a ion to do complicated poo poo on.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Asomodai posted:

And yes that is 5AAAAA Solid flame maple. Top dog model.
That's twenty-five As! :monocle:

Seriously, those basses are noice.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Krazny_Oktyabr posted:

I normally wouldn't touch anything with "Peavey" on it
Stuff like this is sad to read. Peavey makes great stuff. Glad you're digging your amp!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Allparts :argh:

The pickguard that a previous owner installed on my 4001 was not quite right, it was a little warped around the pickup area, didn't line up correctly and didn't use the factory screw locations. It recently cracked near the pickup, so I got this one off of eBay hoping it would be better. Turns out it is the same exact thing, with the pickup off-center and really tough to fit in, and the wrong screw locations. Looks like I'll be trying pickguardian.com in a couple months (for like triple the price :( )

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights

Agreed posted:

Pop punk tone, as in Recto? Check out the Wampler Triple Recstortion and the Barber Dirty Bomb. Well, the Triple Recstortion was a limited run of 100, but I believe he's said he plans to re-release it soon as the Triple Wreckedstortion or something like that, with basically the same pedal but with an added high-gain muff style fuzz mode switchable.

The Boss Noise Supressor is not a very good noise reduction pedal. If you want the best (for noise reduction performance, for transparency, but retaining the signal loop feature that the Boss unit has, check out the Decimator G-String. If you don't have a bunch of noise pedals then you'd probably be fine with just a regular Decimator. The Boss one just stinks, in my opinion, it has its own noise that it introduces and it doesn't do enough to counteract noise that isn't just from the pedal chain itself. The Decimator's noise reduction technology was made by the guys who made (and is the evolution of) Rocktron's HUSH technology, which at the time it came out was the hot poo poo; now the Decimator is the hot poo poo, and for good reason. Although MXR's noise gate pedal actually does a pretty good job too.

I can't find the Dirty Bomb anywhere, they seem to be all sold out. Anything similar that you would recommend?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Actually, the Dirty Bomb is one of a kind. Its circuit topology is original and the EQ controls on it are uniquely flexible among dirt boxes. There are other very nice dirt pedals out there, but they won't do exactly what the Dirty Bomb does (and it won't do exactly what they do, either).

Look into pedals by AMT, they're supposed to have a good Recto-ish pedal. The DIY community project that culminated in the Dr. Boogie made what is regarded by some as THE Recto sounding pedal. I'll know myself, sooner or later... Finances being what they are, who knows. Ah, let's see, I did mention the Wampler thing, keep an eye on that.

For a heavy sound that would work for pop punk, the Ibanez Tone King is another one to think about. Very high gain, thick sound but with good high frequencies for definition, and it doesn't nuke your mids if you don't want it to so you'll still have cut.

I'll think on it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Ibanez Tone King... Tube King?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Two hours of sleep and lots of drugs no one should have to take. Yes, Tube King. It's large, pink, square, and sounds good man

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

DrChu posted:

Allparts :argh:

The pickguard that a previous owner installed on my 4001 was not quite right, it was a little warped around the pickup area, didn't line up correctly and didn't use the factory screw locations. It recently cracked near the pickup, so I got this one off of eBay hoping it would be better. Turns out it is the same exact thing, with the pickup off-center and really tough to fit in, and the wrong screw locations. Looks like I'll be trying pickguardian.com in a couple months (for like triple the price :( )

Why dont you just shape it up a little with a dremel and a drill? You could probably get away with sandpaper even.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Optiquest posted:

Why dont you just shape it up a little with a dremel and a drill? You could probably get away with sandpaper even.

The main problem I have is the pickup location. As you can see from the picture, the pole pieces are really off compared to the strings and as a result the neck pickup sounds weak and some notes are just weird. What I'd need to do is make another set of holes in the body (there's already like half dozen extra holes already from the original pickguard) to remount the screws, and even then I can't get too much adjustment because the volume/tone control layout is also a bit off which limits the movement.

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

bought a cheap old harmony banjo that's apparently been sitting in a closet since ~1976. needs new strings, duh, but everything else seems to be in good working order. plus i like the novelty of having an instrument that is significantly older than me.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Gorilla Salsa posted:

HOLY poo poo, that is an expensive guitar...

You want to seen an expensive guitar...

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/item--1951-Selmer-Petite-Bouche-Guitar-863-with-ORIGINAL-Hardshell-Case--selmer-863.html

Original Selmer guitar for just $36,000

And no, he's not inflating the cost. They're pretty much collectors items now, which drives the price way up, but people still swear by their sound and for someone who is seriously into Gypsy Jazz and has a whole lot of money, it would be seriously awesome to play.

And drat, I didn't notice he has two of them he's selling...

New Gypsy Jazz guitars also go for a lot for good models that you'd want to use if you were doing serious performing. One of these days I'll be cool with dropping $3500 on one...

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Levitate posted:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/item--1951-Selmer-Petite-Bouche-Guitar-863-with-ORIGINAL-Hardshell-Case--selmer-863.html

Original Selmer guitar for just $36,000

And no, he's not inflating the cost. They're pretty much collectors items now, which drives the price way up, but people still swear by their sound and for someone who is seriously into Gypsy Jazz and has a whole lot of money, it would be seriously awesome to play.

And drat, I didn't notice he has two of them he's selling...

New Gypsy Jazz guitars also go for a lot for good models that you'd want to use if you were doing serious performing. One of these days I'll be cool with dropping $3500 on one...

Perhaps it's the player or the recording, but that doesn't sound like it's worth anything close to $36k. The action sounds like it's too low too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Those guitars don't sound like regular guitars, and in general the way they're played is conducive to some extra pick noise and some buzzing, etc. It's more or less considered part of the style, though in the hands of expert players you don't really notice it

That said, the recording sounds pretty mediocre.

And it's not worth $36k on the merits of its sound alone, but because relatively few of them were made, fewer of them have survived the years, and for players obsessed with "finding Django's sound" they're the best equipment for doing so. They're still considered excellent guitars, but the extra huge amount of money is because of their rarity, more or less. But a new guitar made to sound as close to Selmers as possible still runs around $6000.

Just an expensive type of market...I think the guitars are harder to make, there's more room for boutique builders, and the market is really demanding on the sound. (yeah it is kind of silly)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Levitate posted:

See that's expensive because it's 58 years old and (structurally) in such fantastic condition.

The Breedlove is ~$3,600 brand new...I just don't see what could possibly warrant that kind of pricing...

Zakalwe posted:

Perhaps it's the player or the recording, but that doesn't sound like it's worth anything close to $36k. The action sounds like it's too low too.
:frogout:

Just kidding, as I mentioned before, the guitar is 58 years old and is in really spectacular condition. It mentions that it has an OHSC, which definitely adds to the price. It would have to be a collector's item, if anything, because something like that, if ever broken, would really be a treasure lost to the world.

Plus, as Levitate said, it's built for gypsy jazz. If you've never heard gypsy jazz, well then gently caress you. (again, just kidding.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gorilla Salsa posted:

See that's expensive because it's 58 years old and (structurally) in such fantastic condition.

The Breedlove is ~$3,600 brand new...I just don't see what could possibly warrant that kind of pricing...

I don't know anything about the Breedlove, but...

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.co...rve-indian.html

Yeah, one of the $6000 (actually $6500) new guitars I was talking about. It's basically for people (and pros) who have a whole bunch of money and want a sound as close to the original Selmer sound as they can get.

edit: poo poo, I didn't even notice that it's a used one and new goes for even more

At any rate, one of these days (years), I'll eventually get to post a "new instrument!" and have it be a new one of those guitars (not the $6500 guitar)

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2009

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Archtops are in a similar boat, although some of the plainer old ones can get a little cheaper: http://archtop.com/ac_inst.html. New, they're on the high side of four figures at the very least. There just isn't any real middle ground between the $500 knock-offs and the $5000+ real things, same as Selmer-style guitars. (But hey, a brand new Shelley Park guitar starts (just) under $4000! And by all accounts, she makes good guitars.)

That said, I still think that these things are worth it. Of course, if someone could get the same sound for $2000, that'd be great, but as it is, I don't regret buying my guitar; it sounds great and is an inspiration to play.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah, mine's not a great guitar as gypsy jazz guitars go, but all things considered, it's still a quite good guitar and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. One of these days if once I start playing consistently with people, I'll probably shell out for a better one.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I've been blessed with a bunch of music stuff this summer... here's pictures of some of it.

Guild F47:

I already had this Allegra kit (custom made in Portland--best sounding drums I've ever played on), but I recently got all Paiste Twenty cymbals:

Add to this a set of Audix Drum mics (D6, D4, D2, i5), a Rode NT-1a, Logic Studio 9, and some upgrades for my MBP, and I had a great summer music-wise!

With this stuff I've been working on some music for (one of) my bands: Pen Pals, as heard here https://www.ilovepenpals.com

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Breedlove somewhat follows PRS's business model: they make guitars that look great and "boutique-ey" out of nice materials and charge out the rear end for them. Similar to PRS (though PRS is becoming better in this area quickly), these same instruments sound like poo poo. So basically they have three customer demographics: the pro that doesn't really give a gently caress and/or can make anything sound good, the guy with money that buys in to the marketing telling him how special these instruments are, and the guy that simply doesn't know any better.

I loathe Breedlove so, so, so much when it comes to their acoustics. They do so much rear end-backwards poo poo (like the bridge truss system) and try to pass it off as a "feature" when really it's something done that inhibits the tone just so they can give their guitars a distinctive styling (those crazy pointy bridges they use would not fly on a guitar without a bridge truss system, they'd pop off instantly). Their electrics, in my opinion, are just being created to cash in on the tools that buy their dead-sounding acoustics and convince themselves that they're the best thing ever and pat themselves on the back for "being nontraditional."

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Col.Kiwi posted:

Apparantly channel 1 has somewhat of a buzz and all the pots are dirty. The reverb doesn't work either. I got this thing cheap ($540 shipped internationally) so I don't mind that it's going to take some cash to get it fixed up. I've wanted an Ampeg V for quite some time so this is going to be goddamn sweet.

If it's anything like my VT-22, the reverb has a weird push/pull disabler in the back that looks like it might otherwise be a latch to rest or hook the coiled power cable into when in storage. If you see it, (might also be labeled as reverb lock on the back,) pull it out.

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Levitate posted:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=c&g=4&m=D-100%20Deluxe

Oh hey, I found one right here! It will only cost your house or so, so just sell that sucker and finance this beauty right here! :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

grahm posted:

I've been blessed with a bunch of music stuff this summer... here's pictures of some of it.

I already had this Allegra kit (custom made in Portland--best sounding drums I've ever played on), but I recently got all Paiste Twenty cymbals:

Wow, that set is beautiful. I just looked at their prices and goddamn.