Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I just got Castlevania:The Dracula x chronicles for the PSP, what should I know so I stop sucking so much?

Repeating levels over and over until I got them right was the only thing that worked for me. It's the kind of game that's rewarding as a result of being so torturous to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Went and bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma, is there anything that I should know before really sinking my teeth into the title? Like should i stick to one particular weapon and upgrade it?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SlippyFists posted:

Went and bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma, is there anything that I should know before really sinking my teeth into the title? Like should i stick to one particular weapon and upgrade it?

The sword is pretty much the best weapon. You can play around with the others, but upgrading them really isn't worth it. The wooden sword however becomes ridiculously powerful when fully upgraded, but that should probably wait until after the normal sword is upgraded.

There are a few spots that are really good for grinding money too, you'll probably realize em when you get to em, easy enemies that respawn and are right at the entrance to an area. No reason not to grind really.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

An Taoiseach posted:

I asked earlier, but is there anything i should know before playing The Movies?

If you are playing through the "campaign" game and not just tinkering aroud with the movie making tools, I highly recommend editing the game to give you more employees.

I know some people would say it is cheating and not playing as intended but gently caress, not being able to hire enough mechanics or janitors, or would-be actors, is really stupid decision.

Specialize on romance or action movies as they never go out of style completely as scifi and horror does. (I think the genre interest variations are hard-coded in the career mode.) Pick third if you can afford it, and in the latter parts allways use the PR department to the fullest before release.

When the next achievement level gives upgrade to script writing, try to get it as fast as you can. B-movie shlocks give you some pocket money but A-grade is like winning in the lottery, and bad script can be padded only so far.

Also, decorating the movie lot nicely forgives a lot of actor abuse in the late game.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 16, 2009

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Baram posted:

What should I know before playing Parasite Eve 1 & 2?

In PE2, after you reach the church at the top of the tower, there's a locked emergency exit. I believe it's behind the podium or altar. Check it TWICE to get a key that unlocks some useful gear in the Shelter. It's your only chance, so be sure to get it or you'll have to make another run through the game.

When you complete the game, the game rewards you with bonus points according to all the items you stockpiled in the various storage bins and on your person. Key items also count towards this total, so if you can help it, pick up everything and stow it somewhere. This will net you a fairly good score to unlock special weapons. Which in turn makes the next run easier.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What should I know about Parasite Eve 2's Bounty Mode? I always get my rear end handed to me before the first level is even over.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Twitch posted:

What should I know about Parasite Eve 2's Bounty Mode? I always get my rear end handed to me before the first level is even over.

Starting out, you can't power through the levels because your weapons suck and Stealth, grenade launching, and lightsaber Golems show up. I believe you will be armed with your Beretta M93R, MP5K and possibly the Sig P220 after you finish the church section. I know you find the MP5 on a dead SWAT guy, but I think the Sig is a drop from the first few Golem fights.

Each of these unit types has a method/technique to defeat. The difficulty comes in how to handle multiple types in the same battle, along with the regular enemies.

Stealth: Keep your back to a wall, when he appears, shoot him with the Beretta. I found the damage per round to be better than the MP5. It also crits a lot more. If you don't shoot him after he appears, you risk him reappearing from afar to do a rush attack. He can sometimes drop holograms, so be wary. Don't shoot them, for the same reason. Just wait for the real version to appear. Should go down after a few full magazines of your Beretta bursts.

Grenade: He tends to stay away from you, shooting at you. Depending on his type, he'll do either the whole salvo or half of it. Keep track, and hit him when he's cycling a new salvo. These are great in a fight, since they can attack other Golems. Lure others into the cone of fire and save bullets.

Lightsaber: He will make a straight beeline for you, every time. You always want to be running perpendicular to his path. He will try to compensate at the last minute, but practice avoiding the slash. Just fire a quick burst or two before he makes another run for you. Preferably, shooting from afar.

Use your baton on downed Golems. You WILL run out of ammo. Also, exploit the use of the Flashlight. It will can damage and sometimes instantly kill some nocturnal creatures. I recall bats and moths disintegrating. Any weapon with recharging features, save up for those. Taser attachment is worth its weight in gold since it will work just like a shotgun blast on those beetles. I don't use the Flamer or Laser Lance, they are either too slow or have fewer shots. Every discharge of the taser is useful for stunning or flipping pesky enemies.

The rest is just the same, get that Cardkey that I mentioned earlier, found in the Church. Some of the more sneaky Stealth and Grenade guys will start the fight by inflicting a status ailment on you. Shake your controls if a Stealth one grabs you at the start. Should minimize cheap loss of life for these early stages. Expect to expend most of your ammo after a few encounters, so make lots of trips to top off your ammo.

Does anyone else have tips or ways to prevent headaches on Scavenger mode?

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Updated the wiki tonight from thread Page 9 or thereabouts to Page 18. Phew, this junk is exhausting, haha.

Dedicating the better part of tomorrow to keeping up the pace, hope to make at least the midpoint by tomorrow night. 58 bloody pages is daunting.

If anyone has any suggestions or anything, feel free to mail me at drumandface@gmail.com. Danke!

Edit: Made a new email.

apekillape fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 18, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What should I know about Super Paper Mario?

quote:

Left 4 Dead wiki
Always, always set the tank on fire. A burning tank will die in 30-40 seconds regardless of any other damage done to it.

This got patched out ages ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bowser is the best character.

It can also be tedious at times, there are at least three instances where you'll be doing something over and over (some people claim they are filler but they add maybe 10 minutes to the game total so they're not) but if you stick with it they'll be over soon enough. I had a pretty good time with the game even though it's got problems.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Scalding Coffee posted:

Fixed, thanks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Scalding Coffee posted:

Going with One Year Later suggest of using Bowser, combine him with Carrie the pixi you get in 3-4, and he becomes a monster. It's due to the fact his flame attack can normally be used when standing still on the ground, but with Carrie, he can movie and use the flames at all times. It makes any of the bosses become pushovers.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Going with One Year Later suggest of using Bowser, combine him with Carrie the pixi you get in 3-4, and he becomes a monster. It's due to the fact his flame attack can normally be used when standing still on the ground, but with Carrie, he can movie and use the flames at all times. It makes any of the bosses become pushovers.

On the other hand, you don't really need to do this because aside from maybe one of the optional areas the game really isn't hard enough to require cheesing your way through - just play as whoever you have most fun with (Bowser is awesome though.)

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Him dying due to being lit didn't get patched out. What they did was make it so he takes fire damage rather than being on a timer. Now lighting the tank up and shooting him will take him out lickety-split.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He still takes damage only it won't kill him until just about all of his health (~300 at most) is gone, unless he is getting fired on by nearby greens with T2. Normal Tanks shouldn't be near all four of them.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
I'm going to be starting Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger DS, anything good to keep in mind that I could overlook by mistake? (especially concerning Chrono Trigger, what with it being a jrpg and all that)

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
When you're on the cape in 12000 BC don't fight the boss when he asks you to.

When you get the ability to open those sealed doors and chests, don't open any chests you see in 600 or 1000 AD. Instead first go to 600 AD, use the chest, and when it asks you to open it say no. Then go to 1000 AD and open the same chest and the item that was inside earlier will get improved to a more powerful version. Then, if you want, you can go back to 600 AD and get the lesser item.

When the person in 12000 BC asks you if she should burn the plant or not say no.

Use the L A R A buttons to save Lucca's mom.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Thanks a lot!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cinroth posted:

I'm going to be starting Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger DS, anything good to keep in mind that I could overlook by mistake? (especially concerning Chrono Trigger, what with it being a jrpg and all that)
For CT:
Combined techs can break through strong defenses. You will come across enemies with max defense and be forced to use magic on them. One boss is a pain with her perfect defense.

A certain enemy appears in several places in 65 Million BC when it rains and he drops great stuff to forge with.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cinroth posted:

For Ecclesia:

Pay attention to enemy weaknesses, as you will need to be able to switch your glyphs in and out on the fly to be able to kill anything quick enough. Otherwise you are going to die a lot.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Cinroth posted:

Updated those in the wiki today, have at it!

http://www.drumandface.info/wsik

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

For Ecclesia:

Pay attention to enemy weaknesses, as you will need to be able to switch your glyphs in and out on the fly to be able to kill anything quick enough. Otherwise you are going to die a lot.

You are going to die a lot regardless. Stick with it and learn from your mistakes.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
For Castlevian: Order of Eclesia

I wasted too many hours grinding to try and overcome the challenge. It just doesn't work. Your HP and stats gains very slowly in comparison of the damage you receive. Just try to treat it like an old school Castlevania without the RPG stats.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Salt Block Party posted:

When you're on the cape in 12000 BC don't fight the boss when he asks you to.

When you get the ability to open those sealed doors and chests, don't open any chests you see in 600 or 1000 AD. Instead first go to 600 AD, use the chest, and when it asks you to open it say no. Then go to 1000 AD and open the same chest and the item that was inside earlier will get improved to a more powerful version. Then, if you want, you can go back to 600 AD and get the lesser item.

When the person in 12000 BC asks you if she should burn the plant or not say no.

Use the L A R A buttons to save Lucca's mom.

This just reminded me of how much I love/miss/wish I had time to replay Chrono Trigger.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I just bought the dark forces pack on steam and after playing the first level of the original I remembered why I haven't ever finished a doom style game, I keep getting lost and stuck wandering around aimlessly.

Anyone have any advice for dark forces or really just tips for getting around in general in these games?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The map is your friend in those games. The best advice is look for an area on the map you haven't explored yet, and try to get there. If you see a locked door, try to remember where it is (sometimes you can leave notes or the door will show up on the map) so that when you eventually get the key you know where to go back to.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Cinroth posted:

Chrono Trigger DS

You're going to get asked at one point to open one special chest; a chest containing a weapon, or a chest containing armor. Take the armor.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cinroth posted:

- Ecclesia... drop rates on all items, including subquest items, are extremely low. Try to find luck-boosting equipment like the four leaf clover and fool's ring to make them bearable.

- If you want to buy recovery items, you will pretty well NEED to find a late-game spell that makes all destroyed objects drop 100 GP, and then go to town on every fixture you can find. Stay away from potions - they cost more than they're worth. Food is the way to go.

- Don't forget about your union glyphs. You can recharge your hearts fully every time you visit town, so cut loose with a union every now and then to make life simpler. This goes for minor enemies as well - bosses are not the only ones who pose a threat in this game. Also, this isn't critically important, but the strongest union in the game is any dark glyph combined with any light glyph.

- Take notice of suspicious walls. The game loves to hide important items and such behind breakable ones, and there is a sidequest which involves many such hidden rooms that must be done before a certain point in the game to avoid a premature bad ending.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 18, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Cinroth posted:

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Sometimes you have to wait and let enemies start casting a spell in order to absorb their spell Glyphs.

The early bosses are tough as poo poo, mostly because you don't have much of a Glyph arsenal. The giant skeleton sucks just because even when you're fighting it "correctly," you will still probably take several of its hard hits. Oh, and defeating the crab is good fun.

Don't be afraid to use the Magic Tickets in a pinch; they are cheap and can keep you from losing the few useful items and Glyphs you've found since your last save.

Some chests are hidden and only appear once you press Down; if you see a conspicuous spot, crouch on it and see if a blue chest rises from the ground. They can have some unique and/or useful items in them.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I need better impusle control. Reading about Parasite eve here reminded me how much fun those games were, and Amazon had some used copies that were fulfilled by Amazon. So I now have both games on the way.

Quick question about PE2, I remember there was something that had to be done late in the game to open up a really good vendor right before the end of the game. Can someone remind me what that was.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Orvin posted:

I need better impusle control. Reading about Parasite eve here reminded me how much fun those games were, and Amazon had some used copies that were fulfilled by Amazon. So I now have both games on the way.

Quick question about PE2, I remember there was something that had to be done late in the game to open up a really good vendor right before the end of the game. Can someone remind me what that was.

During the fight with the huge flaming tank boss (takes place at night, on the hotel balcony) you need to kill him fairly quickly. If you do, you save the dog. Towards the end, the army shows up, you find a wounded soldier, dog saves him, and his partner lets you buy the M249 and the drum fed grenade launcher. :hellyeah:

edit: I forgot, to coax the dog into helping you, you need to retrieve the Teddy Bear in the lower levels of the Shelter. but yeah, saving the dog is the paramount.

Blight Runner fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 19, 2009

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thanks, I thought it had something to do with the dog.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Can someone give me a simple overview of the Jobs in Disgaea. So much of the the info out there is so poorly written.

My last save got erased, want to power through the game this time, then work on 2 and 3.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

hadji murad posted:

Can someone give me a simple overview of the Jobs in Disgaea. So much of the the info out there is so poorly written.

My last save got erased, want to power through the game this time, then work on 2 and 3.

With the exception of the magic-based classes, all classes do in Disgaea 1 is determine a character's aptitudes, which determines how equipment affects them. A class with a 110% ATK aptitude, for example, will get 110 points of ATK from a weapon that would normally give 100, while they'll only get 50 points if they had a 50% ATK aptitude.

Skulls, Mages, and Clerics are the ones who can learn spells originally. There's extra ways to have other characters learn spells, but it's not quite as "basic" as this explanation will get. Spells are learned by character level by these classes and by the Rune Knight and Angel secret classes.

Finally, levelling up one class will unlock 'upgraded' versions of that class, which have increased base stats and aptitudes compared to the basic class.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

hadji murad posted:

Each job has 6 tiers. Opening up new jobs requires one of three things. A character with specific skills (eg: Archer requires a character with level 3 bow). Having characters of level X in one or more job. Or killing monsters.

Once a job is unlocked you don't need to keep the prerequisites around. To open higher tiers just increase the level of people in that job family.

The use of each job is up to you, most of them don't get job specific skills. So they'll vary by weapon proficiencies and aptitudes. The aptitudes (percentage for each stat) tells you how effective a character's equipment will be. A character with 70% aptitude in defense will only have their defense changed by 70% defense of their equipment. Weapon proficiencies are best looked at as weapon suggestions. The higher rank in a weapon a character has, the faster they'll learn abilities associated with them. It's best to choose a weapon that matches their proficiency and aptitude.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hadji murad posted:

Stat growth on level-up is based entirely on a unit's base stats, the ones it ends up with after you create it. Leveling up an out of date character becomes trivially easy later on and it's worth it to 'transmigrate' a character's soul into a newer, better, upgraded class every 2 or so tiers. This starts you off at level 1 again, but it gives you higher base stats, and you end up with a much better character as a result.

There's no intricate job tree or anything to memorize, just some classes open up every once in a while when you get a high enough level in other classes, usually they're just straight up higher ranked and better than the previous class.

Characters also keep track the total number of levels they've ever gained and you get even more bonus stats from these, but they're not something you really have to care about unless you really want to do the bonus bosses and stuff, which it seems like you don't. Powergamers will pick a single map, abuse it in a way they can get 200 levels at once, and repeatedly do that and transmigrate the character back to level 1 repeatedly until it's stored thousands of levels and is stupidly powerful. It's pretty time consuming and almost completely pointless. To simply beat the game, you don't have to do this.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Beatles, Rock Band:

More mics make this game exponentially better. You won't get Day Tripper if you're not connected to XBL, sometimes.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm going to start Eternal Sonata tonight. Generally I like to go in with no prior knowledge, but I've been burned by RPGs like Final Fantasy XII and The Last Remnant in the past. Is there anything I could possibly miss, or anything I should really focus on?

Sons of Angels
Dec 28, 2006

Counter Strike: Source.

Any tips etc will be more than welcome, never played any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

apekillape posted:

Updated the wiki tonight from thread Page 9 or thereabouts to Page 18. Phew, this junk is exhausting, haha.

Dedicating the better part of tomorrow to keeping up the pace, hope to make at least the midpoint by tomorrow night. 58 bloody pages is daunting.

If anyone has any suggestions or anything, feel free to mail me at drumandface@gmail.com. Danke!

Edit: Made a new email.

Thanks for updating it! I feel that most people probably don't realize that this even exists, as it isn't on the front page or OP at all. Hopefully, when this thread gets a v2, it will be prominently featured and maybe people will add their own poo poo. :)