Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Really, that was the main reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

BurningCourage posted:

Really, that was the main reason.

Wow. That's a pretty impressive screw-up. I guess I can understand how you can come to that idea (they sure seem auxiliary without voicing), but talk about having absolutely no idea what you're doing.

Cross
Mar 30, 2003

This was their new emblem.
In fairness, that's where I stopped playing that game and I really don't feel like I missed out.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
They are too optional, I didn't do them and I still feel like I beat the game :colbert:

But yeah, kind of a dumb move. I remember him posting about it on the Atlus forums.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
All this talk about Legendia reminds me of a loving hilarious moment in one of the character quests (I think Will's).

Basically, your party's in the main town and a child comes up to you saying that his parents are missing. They left a note saying they are going to go the mushroom dungeon so they can jump to their deaths because they owe a lot of money or something, I dunno, it's been a while. So, your party makes its way to the dungeon, fights their way to the bottom of the dungeon and saves the parents from jumping off right in the nick of time.

Except the dungeon in question is a loving CANYON or something. The parents fought their way through a whole lot of super-strong monsters (it's the second half of the game) while walking down a very narrow path with no walls so that they could throw themselves to their deaths in a hole at the bottom of a loving CANYON.

It is probably the least sense a jRPG has ever made, and that's saying a lot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

He thought the character quests, which time-wise make up a little more than half of the game, were optional?

Well, the odds are he probably hadn't played the game when budgeting for the localization was planned out.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cross posted:

In fairness, that's where I stopped playing that game and I really don't feel like I missed out.

I didn't bother with that part either. Why would I want to go through all the same dungeons again just to wrap up small parts of the storyline that were not exactly relevant to the main story to begin with? The game should have had those parts set up like Chrono Trigger did with their character sidequests.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just wishlisted Tales of the Abyss at Game Crazy today. I might play it over winter break since I most likely won't have any time before then, and also I'm playing Vesperia right now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm playing Tales of Symphonia II and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Emil was terribly annoying for the first 5 or so hours, but now I don't mind him as much. The repetitive Katz quests are annoying, but it's not like I have to do it.

The main reason I like this game is Tenebrae. Zelos, Jade, and Tenebrae should get their own spin-off game together.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm playing Tales of Symphonia II and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Emil was terribly annoying for the first 5 or so hours, but now I don't mind him as much. The repetitive Katz quests are annoying, but it's not like I have to do it.

The main reason I like this game is Tenebrae. Zelos, Jade, and Tenebrae should get their own spin-off game together.

the monster system is eh until later when you can make your artes elemental, then it becomes pretty easy to get them. But it's also a kind of tedious system, combined with the fact that Emil and Marta are annoying as gently caress and there's no world map.

I want to play through it again with 10x exp and get the missable Richter side quests that I had no idea existed but are apparently required to get some great weapons and a secret boss later on.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I'll agree with Tenebrae being the best thing in that game. He really did feel like Jade again except with even more stupid childish behavior to make fun of because the protagonists are that much more stupid and childish. :)

It *does* get a lot better after 5 hours or so but man I think it's definitely a contender for the worst beginning of any jrpg I've played.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I think I did one Katz quest in my playthrough, and didn't bother with them ever again. Same with sidequests, I missed the trigger for one and said "gently caress it" to the rest. I disliked the monsters aspect, even though they could be leveled and possibly turned into broken units, I much prefered my all endgame humanoid party Emil/Lloyd/Raine/Genis for the curious.

Emil is the either the first or second most annoying RPG hero I've seen, with the first being Lyner from Ar tonelico, and Marta's voice got on my nerves (but I'm also really biased against her English VA for popping up everywhere) On the other hand, Tenebrae is really awesome.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I want to play through it again with 10x exp and get the missable Richter side quests that I had no idea existed but are apparently required to get some great weapons and a secret boss later on.

I somehow had enough Grade after my first playthrough to buy EXP x10 so I decided to start up a New Game+. Replaying those first 5 hours completely broke me. On the tutorial section I just quit. Put down the controller and quit. No way was I going through that tedious beginning again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

KariOhki posted:

I think I did one Katz quest in my playthrough, and didn't bother with them ever again. Same with sidequests, I missed the trigger for one and said "gently caress it" to the rest. I disliked the monsters aspect, even though they could be leveled and possibly turned into broken units, I much prefered my all endgame humanoid party Emil/Lloyd/Raine/Genis for the curious.

Emil is the either the first or second most annoying RPG hero I've seen, with the first being Lyner from Ar tonelico, and Marta's voice got on my nerves (but I'm also really biased against her English VA for popping up everywhere) On the other hand, Tenebrae is really awesome.

I didn't use the human characters because they can't gain levels and therefore suck. Of course, they did this specifically so that you were forced to catch monsters. There are a couple that have ridiculously high stats and can break the game pretty hard, so I use those. And if I could remember which ones they are, I'd post them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I used a Fenrir and something else that moved faster, I think. But their AI just seemed so dumb compared to the human characters. Or I was having bad luck with my monsters getting comboed by enemies all the time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I used a Fenrir and something else that moved faster, I think. But their AI just seemed so dumb compared to the human characters. Or I was having bad luck with my monsters getting comboed by enemies all the time.

Ravenous, the ghost evolution with dark spells, is pretty drat powerful. You can teach him pretty much any elemental spellbook and since he's Dark he helps with Emil's union attacks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

KariOhki posted:

Yeah, I got a wolf who I evolved into a Fenrir. He leveled super fast and had a higher attack power than me throughout most of the game so far.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eddain posted:

Ravenous, the ghost evolution with dark spells, is pretty drat powerful. You can teach him pretty much any elemental spellbook and since he's Dark he helps with Emil's union attacks.

oh yeah Ravenous is amazing, his A.Atk is incredible. There's also an evolution of the Harpy or something that is pretty amazing, it's a fire element with really strong A.Atk and can learn some great spells.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Mill Village posted:

I didn't bother with that part either. Why would I want to go through all the same dungeons again just to wrap up small parts of the storyline that were not exactly relevant to the main story to begin with? The game should have had those parts set up like Chrono Trigger did with their character sidequests.

You're entirely missing the overarching story that connects the entire game, though, by skipping the second half of the game. They're not just sidequests, there's a singular plot that connects all the different chapters... and you miss out on the best Tales endboss (Schwartz) by not going through it.

It's like if you stopped playing Symphonia when you get to the Tower Of Salvation for the first time, or Vesperia when you fight Alexei.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Pooptimus Prime posted:

You're entirely missing the overarching story that connects the entire game, though, by skipping the second half of the game. They're not just sidequests, there's a singular plot that connects all the different chapters... and you miss out on the best Tales endboss (Schwartz) by not going through it.

It's like if you stopped playing Symphonia when you get to the Tower Of Salvation for the first time, or Vesperia when you fight Alexei.

Except Legendia's story is complete poo poo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

WingsOfSteel posted:

Except Legendia's story is complete poo poo.

I thought the whole ship thing was pretty cool :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I loved Legendia's setting. As for the story...I don't have high expectations about JRPG stories in general, so I didn't really think much about it. Especially Tales stories are really just to set up character relationships anyway.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I dunno, I felt like I had closure when I stopped at the end of the "main" game and then the character quests and stuff were just needlessly prolonging it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vesperia PS3's first week sales are in at last, and I think someone at Bandai-Namco must be very happy right about now. In a single week, it's dwarfed the 360's NA and JPN lifetime sales at 237k and is roughly halfway into the worldwide lifetime sales for it :psyduck:

I really don't think Bamco can really ignore those numbers when taking localizaton into consideration, although it makes me wonder if Star Ocean 4 will get that sort of reception in February.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Vesperia PS3's first week sales are in at last, and I think someone at Bandai-Namco must be very happy right about now. In a single week, it's dwarfed the 360's NA and JPN lifetime sales at 237k and is roughly halfway into the worldwide lifetime sales for it :psyduck:

I really don't think Bamco can really ignore those numbers when taking localizaton into consideration, although it makes me wonder if Star Ocean 4 will get that sort of reception in February.

I'm still surprised that Star Ocean sold more than Vesperia 360. Was it because Square-Enix is a better publisher than Namco? I remember a ton of commercials for Star Ocean compared to Vesperia.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eddain posted:

I'm still surprised that Star Ocean sold more than Vesperia 360. Was it because Square-Enix is a better publisher than Namco? I remember a ton of commercials for Star Ocean compared to Vesperia.

Star Ocean also seemed to have a lot more copies shipped to stores. You couldn't find Vesperia around here after a couple months after release.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Star Ocean also seemed to have a lot more copies shipped to stores. You couldn't find Vesperia around here after a couple months after release.

And then they discontinued it.

Hard to buy a game when copies simply don't exist.

In fact, I think it was discontinued not too long after Star Ocean game out. I could be wrong about this.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey,here's a dumb question that i can't find the answer to -

i'm playing symphonia II (i hate myself you see) and i want to know - can I ever actually control my monsters? i'm hoping there's some secret way later on that opens up and lets P2 control a monster instead of only human characters, but i have a bad feeling...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bump_fn posted:

hey,here's a dumb question that i can't find the answer to -

i'm playing symphonia II (i hate myself you see) and i want to know - can I ever actually control my monsters? i'm hoping there's some secret way later on that opens up and lets P2 control a monster instead of only human characters, but i have a bad feeling...

HAHAHAHAHA. You think you're playing a good game or something?

EDIT: As far as I know, there isn't even a skit viewer. Which really ultra-blows because the skits are voiced.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 22, 2009

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Xythar posted:

I dunno, I felt like I had closure when I stopped at the end of the "main" game and then the character quests and stuff were just needlessly prolonging it.

<spoilers> Yea, but then you miss out on scenes like this. <spoilers>
D'AWWWWW!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

wdarkk posted:

HAHAHAHAHA. You think you're playing a good game or something?

EDIT: As far as I know, there isn't even a skit viewer. Which really ultra-blows because the skits are voiced.

what, it's not on the Katz island?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think there is a skit viewer.

In TOS2 I ended up keeping my original wolf pet which evolved into some green doom wolf (Not fenrir I think I went the other route with it just to be different.) and then used one side-character for fun (generally Presea.) I had a bird that got a lot of play when I was side characterless that turned into some crazy phoenix thing that also kicked lots of rear end.

I didn't mind the pokemons they had better stats than the main party half the time. And you could teach them all heal and stuff. Emil was fun to play as an air combo character later in the game.

I didn't like the ending(s) to ToS2.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Gameplay footage of Tales of Graces from TGS.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm pretty sure there isn't a skit viewer in TOS2, I think I talked to every katz on katz island.

As for ToG, I noticed that it doesn't seem to use a TP system, and the skits look really different (if that even was a skit).

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There is in the European version :v:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-tales-of/56661 another Graces gameplay vid. Game looks to be running at a smooth framerate. It's using the Capacity Chain system from ToD PS2 instead of TP. I explained that in more detail earlier on itt.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
More gameplay videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyT2d7S6wu4
I for one, am excited as a tit for this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aaaargh am I ever going to get my copy of ToV PS3 delivered? There was some screwup in delivery and it will be at least another week.

edit: interesting, in that trailer it says that there are no "scale" parts of the world map, everything is 1:1 with your characters. Which means the cities won't be just icons on a map, and so on.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Calaveron posted:

More gameplay videos

Looks a lot like Vesperia, might be just as good.

Bad news:

I don't own a wii :ohdear:

VVVVVV: that's what I was most concerned about. I dropped $300 bux on a ps3 for MGS4 and some other games and I'm not really down for another multiple hundred dollar investment for one game. Good to know, though.

Koguma fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 30, 2009

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TechnoRobot posted:

Looks a lot like Vesperia, might be just as good.

Bad news:

I don't own a wii :ohdear:

Rumor is it's getting a price drop to $200 by the end of the month.
Eitherway, wait until an announcement before you make such an investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

More gameplay videos

If I'm supposed to be seeing character's Mystic Artes in this thing, they look depressingly weak.