Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just recently reorganized, but still a mess:

I absolutely love that telephone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Zwille posted:

That looks really nice - isn’t the bar stool uncomfy to sit at for long periods though?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

poty posted:

Beautiful room. I think you have very good taste

gee thanks! :)

Zurich posted:

That looks really nice - isn’t the bar stool uncomfy to sit at for long periods though?

Not really, it encourages an more upright posture and whenever I get too uncomfortable I go do something else or sit in the other chair, doing other stuff, like reading for term papers. I kind of don't want to get too comfortable in front of a computer, which is the sole reason I got the desk at that height.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Fair enough, thats a pretty decent reason. My room came with a lovely plastic chair, perhaps I should use that instead of this comfy motherfucker (£40ish from Costco, I never want to leave it hence I’m at my desk most of the time :()

I haven’t posted in here since I moved flat, so…

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well, Ikea has this which is pretty much my bar stool except shorter, and it doubles as an bonafide mini-coffeetable for food/drink, plus it's only £ 7.99! clicky

Plus it stacks!

I'm not so sure about using it as your only means of non-transportation, though, unless you got a couch or something.

dlmachine
Sep 16, 2007

syphon posted:

Bumping the thread just so I can quote myself with my new rig. I moved, bought a new desk, sold the old PC (and am now using the MBP exclusively), and even got a new username! About the only thing that's the same here is my monitor and MBP.

Click here for the full 1408x1056 image.

What are you using to "dock" your MBP in that shot? How stable is it? I used to use an external monitor with the lid closed on the MBP, but got sick of the extra desk space it was taking up. This seems like a nice solution.

Also, how do you normally power up? I used to just hit the power button and close the lid during boot, but I imagine that's not terribly convenient with that configuration.

Love the clean setup, btw.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

dlmachine posted:

What are you using to "dock" your MBP in that shot? How stable is it? I used to use an external monitor with the lid closed on the MBP, but got sick of the extra desk space it was taking up. This seems like a nice solution.
I bought this from an Apple store nearby. $50, but works great. - http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW852LL/A

dlmachine posted:

Also, how do you normally power up? I used to just hit the power button and close the lid during boot, but I imagine that's not terribly convenient with that configuration.
Just click the mouse or tap the keyboard. I don't normally shut down (just sleep), so it powers up via USB input. A real power up is more involved, as I'd have to power it up while open, then close it (putting it to sleep), then putting it in the stand and waking it up by USB input.

dlmachine posted:

Love the clean setup, btw.
Thanks! I love the cable-management stuff from Ikea, which allowed me to have such a clean setup.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

syphon posted:

I bought this from an Apple store nearby. $50, but works great. - http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW852LL/A
Just click the mouse or tap the keyboard. I don't normally shut down (just sleep), so it powers up via USB input. A real power up is more involved, as I'd have to power it up while open, then close it (putting it to sleep), then putting it in the stand and waking it up by USB input.
Thanks! I love the cable-management stuff from Ikea, which allowed me to have such a clean setup.

What I do for "real powerups" is to press the power button while connected to the external monitor and immediately close the laptop screen. It'll then start up as it's just on the external.

algo
Oct 20, 2002
My home 'office':

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

MitchFM posted:

drat I would luv to know what type of desk that is, perfect wat I need.
I'm fairly certain these were made by Staples when I worked there about 4 years ago.

A quick GIS search for "staples desk" says I'm right, but I don't think they make it anymore.

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

Zwille posted:

Well, Ikea has this which is pretty much my bar stool except shorter, and it doubles as an bonafide mini-coffeetable for food/drink, plus it's only £ 7.99! clicky

Plus it stacks!

I'm not so sure about using it as your only means of non-transportation, though, unless you got a couch or something.

http://www.artek.fi/products/chairs/11

I thought that chair looked drat familiar
I personally like the 3 legged version better http://www.artek.fi/products/chairs/128

That said Artek is expensive as hell, not exactly being able to compete with IKEA with its over 100e pricetag per chair.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have fun tripping over with 3 legs :)

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

Zwille posted:

Have fun tripping over with 3 legs :)

just like cameras fall over when mounted on tripods :smug:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, 150+Ib cameras are a bitch :(

vvv what he said vvv

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

digitalwatchmaker posted:

just like cameras fall over when mounted on tripods :smug:

Tripods point their legs out, not straight down. Also, cameras don't move their center of gravity around by leaning.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
lovely pic of my new home setup:

6'x3' SLAB of a desk
dual Dell 2001fp on the desktop, and a Dell 1908 on my vmware'd router/media player
(this was in the setup phase, I now have both speakers, and only 1 keyboard/mouse)

Bonus shot of my work desk (same size) with a 2001fp and three 17" (I'm OCD with window management:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Home desk:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Work Desk:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Edit: didn't want to break tables...
Edit: added work desk.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 20, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Home desk:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Edit: didn't want to break tables...

What keyboard is that?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

What keyboard is that?

The home desk's keyboard in the foreground is:

http://www.steelseries.com/int/products/keyboards/7g/information

The one behind the monitor is a dell.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Erwin posted:

Tripods point their legs out, not straight down. Also, cameras don't move their center of gravity around by leaning.

Also, cameras don't have two legs of their own they move around as needed.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Steakandchips posted:

It doesn't get any more classic.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

The home desk's keyboard in the foreground is:

http://www.steelseries.com/int/products/keyboards/7g/information

The one behind the monitor is a dell.

Dang, are these available anywhere in a US layout?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Steiler Drep posted:

What I do for "real powerups" is to press the power button while connected to the external monitor and immediately close the laptop screen. It'll then start up as it's just on the external.

It's times like this when I really wish that Mac keyboards still had the power button on them like they did back in the day. Why did they take such a useful feature out? I've got to fumble around on the back of my mac mini every time I want to turn it on (which admittedly isn't often, but still).

I know it's off topic, but does anyone know if the old USB Mac keyboards (like the ones that came with the colorful iMacs) have power buttons that work with current Macs?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
My MacBook (personal) and Dell D820 (work) are missing from the shot, and the printer is off to the side. I think you'll get the idea anyway though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Dang, are these available anywhere in a US layout?

http://www.steelseries.com/
Choose North America.

I'm using the US version I believe.

Edit: Close up, this may help you:

Click here for the full 2021x691 image.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2009

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

It's times like this when I really wish that Mac keyboards still had the power button on them like they did back in the day. Why did they take such a useful feature out? I've got to fumble around on the back of my mac mini every time I want to turn it on (which admittedly isn't often, but still).

The official answer was that powering on the computer was a hack that was not in the USB spec. No as for why minutae like that would ever stop Apple of all companies; I have no idea. Maybe someone plugged it into a PSU and friend their power supply or mobo or something.

I don't believe that they'll power on a modern Mac anymore.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For the next three weeks, ugh...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

devmd01 posted:

For the next three weeks, ugh...

Since everyone else in this thread likes to share what desk they have: What hotel chain are you staying at? :)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Insides

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 1728x1903 image.

Desk

I have a Ideazon Merc keyboard now instead of the Saitek Eclipse.

And my work in progress. In the picture it has a i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 3x1GB Patriot DDR3-1333 RAM, 320GB HDD, 8800GTX and an Antec TruePower Quattro 850w.

Now it has a crappy case that doesn't have a front panel or side panels and no more video card.

Click here for the full 767x1023 image.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Are there two other high end computers hidden inside that case, or is the 1KW PSU simply decorative?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

Are there two other high end computers hidden inside that case, or is the 1KW PSU simply decorative?

I meant to get myself a second 4870 X2 down the line, but since the HD 5 series are coming out and I'll be going to Basic in a little over a month.......

Yeah, I got three PCs in one case

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Here's my hobbit hole. I've since taped up all of my LEDs after realizing how distracting they were thanks to that blue LED thread. I didn't tape up the NAS yet but I'm going to see about at least disabling the LCD.

Then we have workbench #1 which is mostly computer stuff. Workbench #2 is mostly car stuff.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What game is that? It looks like GuildWars, but I know it isn't.

Nice NAS.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

SlayVus posted:

Nice NAS.

I thought "hobbit hole" would have given it away. It's lord of the rings online.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

SlayVus posted:

Pretty sure that's WoW, judging from the HUD layout.

edit: drat it isn't.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Golbez posted:

Since everyone else in this thread likes to share what desk they have: What hotel chain are you staying at? :)

That has Holiday Inn (Express?) written all over it.

Thanks to being 1 year into a new job, I'm just now losing my platinum statuses in hotels/airlines/car rentals.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
Excuse the mess, I'll clean it up... I swear :(

Click for full 1,904 x 2,114 pixels

Click for full 1,936 x 1,296 pixels

Specs

TV Sony Bravia KDL-40D3550 (40" LCD)
Receiver Yamaha RX-V590RDS (will be replaced early 2010)
Front speakers Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH
Rear speakers Infinity Reference 61i
Computer Intel Core i7 940, 12GB DDR3 ram, 6.8TB storage
HD-PVR
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3

To the far left in the first picture there are 2 cables hanging from the roof, this is Cat6 ethernet cable going from the basement (im 2 floors up) and coax, they will both be rearranged to not be so ungodly distractive.

LIVING IN poo poo

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
You should probably get some bigger speakers for your massive listening space.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Golbez posted:

Holiday Inn Express. Thank God the breakfast has a reasonable variety. I probably won't be here for 3 weeks, I'm good at what I do and will be done with this job site this week, so I'll go down to help another tech south of Tampa who was able to find a hotel on the beach that corporate would pay for. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Nija posted:

another mamba user! :tup: