Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
:byodame: : people are bad for the environment! No one should have babies! Oh crap I'm poor and don't have enough money to make an adult jumper I'll just make a baby one...
~later~
:neckbeard:: IT HAS A BOAT ON IT! WITH A LITTLE FLAG! SQUEEEEEEAAAAAL!

P.S I think we should have our own gang tag on SA. I was thinking "knitwits" but a) that's lame and b) I want sewers (seamstresses obviously not sewers as in drains) and crocheters to be in our gang too because I just like string, it doesn't matter what you do with it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 21, 2009

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
That is adorable! Squee!

Anywho, I started my hood/cowl thingee on DPN's, and I'm now on the third try. I think I've got the hang of it now, but I kept somehow knitting backwards on it and ending up with a bunch of garter stitch on the wrong side instead of just straight stockinette. I've got it figured out now, and I can't believe I was so intimidated by it! It's pretty easy once you get the feel for it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ma_NiC posted:

That is adorable! Squee!

I am unhappy with the location of the boat though :( I thought the pattern would've compensated for the change in sizes and moved it up to make it a little more central. I'd love to encorporate the design in a men's jumper with alternate squares of boats and waves or cables. Hmmm... stormy sea sweater?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
OMG FELTINGGGGG why didn't I do it sooner! I just felted my first two felting projects, a clutch and a pair of slippers. I'm sooo stoked they came out looking great! If anyone's afraid to try it I say goferit. :D

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Glad to see some activity here again!

I made a hansigurumi cuttlefish for my bestest goon buddy :3:

I can't say I really recommend it. Every bit of it was a bitch to construct and I'm pretty sure there are problems with the pattern that aren't corrected in the errata. However, I have a very short memory for pain, so I'm tempted to make another one for myself to keep.

I also made the trilobite hat from the last Knitty issue. It was a lot more fun to make, even with the bajillion tiny cables. Needs to be blocked.

I absolutely love that hat, is there a pattern online for that?

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

TauntTheOctopi posted:

This is amazing. And the thing is, I know people who have been hosed over by gauge on more than one large project and STILL don't bother. It's as if there's a mental block.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

teknicolor posted:

OMG FELTINGGGGG why didn't I do it sooner! I just felted my first two felting projects, a clutch and a pair of slippers. I'm sooo stoked they came out looking great! If anyone's afraid to try it I say goferit. :D
I love felting. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Midnight Sun posted:

I love felting. :)

Most my projects are felting. It's just so much fun, and I get to cheat when it comes to sewing!

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Blue_monday posted:

I absolutely love that hat, is there a pattern online for that?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer09/PATTtrilobite.php

hollaback grandma posted:

This is amazing. And the thing is, I know people who have been hosed over by gauge on more than one large project and STILL don't bother. It's as if there's a mental block.

I don't do it. :blush: Most of what I make are toys so it really doesn't matter, but even on clothing items I just make sure the yarn is the right weight or the gauge on the label is close to what I need and say gently caress it. Then I kind of check as I go along to make sure it's fitting. I suppose if I ever tried to make a sweater or something I would check my gauge first. Maybe.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

TauntTheOctopi posted:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer09/PATTtrilobite.php

I don't do it. :blush: Most of what I make are toys so it really doesn't matter, but even on clothing items I just make sure the yarn is the right weight or the gauge on the label is close to what I need and say gently caress it. Then I kind of check as I go along to make sure it's fitting. I suppose if I ever tried to make a sweater or something I would check my gauge first. Maybe.

Yeah, gauge isn't important on toys. I'd say just make sure you swatch every time you're using a new fiber or stitch pattern so you don't get burned- but after awhile you kind of know how your stockinette is going to come out in wool. :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Gauge debate! I don't bother IF:
-it's supposed to be a huge baggy jumper and I'm making the largest size on the pattern
-it's a blanket or shawl or scarf (non fitted clothing)
-I'm making up something as I go along
-it's a toy

Do bother if:
-substituting yarn which is not the called for yarn, but says it has the same gauge
-making something uber fitted

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
In regards to gauge, I've been working with the same stash for years (it lasts a long time when all you make are little toys and the like), so I pretty much know how things will knit up by now.

But I think I'm going to break down and buy some new yarn to make Margot: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/PATTmargot.php

I've been looking for something simple and flattering for my first sweater and I think I've found it. Besides making a swatch, what else do I need to know?

e: oh god I have to use 2 circulars. I've only ever used dpns :ohdear:

TauntTheOctopi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I usually make one, but often a kinda half-assed one. Like, I cast on 20 stitches and knit for an inch or something and just measure it on the needles. I've never had a major problem that I could attribute to gauge. I don't make a lot of stuff where it would be hugely important though (except socks).

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

TauntTheOctopi posted:

In regards to gauge, I've been working with the same stash for years (it lasts a long time when all you make are little toys and the like), so I pretty much know how things will knit up by now.

But I think I'm going to break down and buy some new yarn to make Margot: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/PATTmargot.php

I've been looking for something simple and flattering for my first sweater and I think I've found it. Besides making a swatch, what else do I need to know?

e: oh god I have to use 2 circulars. I've only ever used dpns :ohdear:

Don't be afraid! It was a little fiddly for me to learn the 2 circs method, but now it's all I use. It's much better than DPNs for a lot of reasons! Just remember you are only ever using one needle at a time- just like DPNs! You knit your stitches right back on to the other end of the same needle while the other one just hangs out in the back. Really, it's a breeze! And, if you pull out the back resting needle so that the resting stitches are resting on the cable rather than the needle, you can really get the joins super tight and ladders can't possibly form. I love 2 circs. It isn't nearly as hard as you might think. And I'm stupid with knitting. So if I can do it, chances are a squirrel or house cat can, too!

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Ok, I now feel brave enough to try knitting on two circs.

Anybody try Clandestine out yet? I am dying to knit those. First time I've ever been motivated to knit socks with such fiery passion. It would be my first pair of socks ever and I'm wondering if that's maybe a bit too adventurous?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
god i loving hate knitting on two circular needles. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is really because i go out and buy the cheapest circs there are, so the cords are all loopy and lovely and figgly and i hate them arrrgh!

Does it get less fiddly with nicer needles?

As for gaugeing: gauge for socks y/n?

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.

Micomicona posted:

god i loving hate knitting on two circular needles. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is really because i go out and buy the cheapest circs there are, so the cords are all loopy and lovely and figgly and i hate them arrrgh!

I think I read somewhere that you can dip the circs' cord in boiling water for a few seconds and then straighten it out and set it out to dry and that'll help with loopiness. I haven't tried it myself, mostly because I don't do a whole lot of circ knitting, but I don't see how it could hurt.

Edit: I've never done a real clothes project (so far I've only stuck to scarves, dishcloths, hats, toys, etc.) so I've never done a gauge. This might change when I knit my dog a sweater sometime this fall. I'm scared. :ohdear:

Calavera fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 24, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

Ok, I now feel brave enough to try knitting on two circs.

Anybody try Clandestine out yet? I am dying to knit those. First time I've ever been motivated to knit socks with such fiery passion. It would be my first pair of socks ever and I'm wondering if that's maybe a bit too adventurous?

Go for it. Seriously. Just go slow and make sure you understand what you're doing before you do it, and remember that even if you do it all wrong you can rip the whole thing out and start again until you get it. Knitting is great that way. :)

Micomicona posted:

Yeah, it's far easier with nice long needles that have a good smooth join. And it's a lot less fiddly once you actually have some of the project knit because the weeight of it sort of keeps everything in place.

I would do gauge for socks, it really sucks to knit a whole sock and then not be able to get it on.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I do virtually everything on various Options circs from knitpicks.com now. I don't want to come off sounding like a fangirl or something, but the cables are much more flexible than the cheap kind you get from the store. They have sharper points than the cheap ones, too, which I like but some people might find annoying, depending on their knitting style. They have three different kinds of tips -- metal, wood, and acrylic. I haven't tried any of the metal ones because I still have so many storebought metal needles, but I would assume they're the slippiest. The wood ones are very nice, lightweight and almost as slippy as metal because they're laminated, and then the acrylic are just a bit stickier. They're see-through, though, which is cool but also can take a little getting used to when you're trying to count stitches. I still prefer bamboo DPNs, though, because the stitches stay put a lot better.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I use a blowdryer to straighten out my circs.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
My mate Jenny liked her armwarmers :D

I told her they were so when she can't afford central heating in her student room this winter, she can still type.

And then she asked me to knit her some socks with GASHFACE written on them, but I don't think I'm up to the challenge.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
^niiiice! love chunky cabling!

I just finished my first cardigan, guys! Better picture pending:

It's Malabrigo worsted, colorway "Pearl." I got the buttons on etsy- they're purple with a gooorgeous copper wash that catches the light. :3: couldn't be happier! But it's not cold enough to wear it yet...

Edit: oh yeah, this is a modified Mrs. Darcy Cardigan. AND it only took about 3 1/4 skeins to complete, which is crazy to me.

hollaback grandma fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 24, 2009

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

madlilnerd: Are those the Irish Hiking gloves? Looks really good. :)

hollaback grandma: Really nice cardigan, congrats. :)

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

guaranteed posted:

I do virtually everything on various Options circs from knitpicks.com now. I don't want to come off sounding like a fangirl or something, but the cables are much more flexible than the cheap kind you get from the store. They have sharper points than the cheap ones, too, which I like but some people might find annoying, depending on their knitting style. They have three different kinds of tips -- metal, wood, and acrylic. I haven't tried any of the metal ones because I still have so many storebought metal needles, but I would assume they're the slippiest. The wood ones are very nice, lightweight and almost as slippy as metal because they're laminated, and then the acrylic are just a bit stickier. They're see-through, though, which is cool but also can take a little getting used to when you're trying to count stitches. I still prefer bamboo DPNs, though, because the stitches stay put a lot better.

I can vouch for the metal ones. My nickle-plated set is excellent.

hollaback grandma: That looks fantastic. I like the extended ribbing on the sleeves.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Midnight Sun posted:

madlilnerd: Are those the Irish Hiking gloves? Looks really good. :)

hollaback grandma: Really nice cardigan, congrats. :)

They're from a pattern in the Sirdir Tweedie Chunky pattern book, which has some lovely chunky knits, but being on a budget I used some acrylic I already had in my stash which was slightly chunkier (checked the gauge!) and knitted the largest child size instead of the adult size. I would've made up some as I went along, but I did them the day before the party and wanted quick results. They're knitted flat and then sewn up with a thumb hole so they were super easy and took about 2.5 hours in all.

I agree than congrats are in order on that cardian, hollaback grandma! It's lovely, especially the svelt fit and detail around the waist. I really like the look and fit of lots of rib, but mine always looks awful and uneven unless I tug every other stitch into place and then it takes foreeevvver.

edit: graaaaammmaaaar

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 25, 2009

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I also have an Options set, and I love them. I've never had any trouble with the cables being too annoying to work with.

It's Malabrigo worsted, colorway "Pearl." I got the buttons on etsy- they're purple with a gooorgeous copper wash that catches the light. :3: couldn't be happier! But it's not cold enough to wear it yet...

Edit: oh yeah, this is a modified Mrs. Darcy Cardigan. AND it only took about 3 1/4 skeins to complete, which is crazy to me.

This is gorgeous!

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I'm working on my first pair of fingerless mitts (and it's also my first cable project). I'm almost done with the first one (started it three days ago), so I'll have to post a picture when it's finished up. I'm using Malabrigo Silky Merino and I don't think I've ever felt something so soft... I want to use it for everything.

Spiffy!
Jul 15, 2007

I, Woodpecker.

^niiiice! love chunky cabling!

I love this ! I just put it on my queue on ravelry a few days ago. They didn't have directions for multiple sizes when I was reading through it though so I hope it turns out ok :ohdear:

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Spiffy! posted:

I love this ! I just put it on my queue on ravelry a few days ago. They didn't have directions for multiple sizes when I was reading through it though so I hope it turns out ok :ohdear:

I used rav user wakenda's mods on this- she has directions for a 38" bust! http://www.ravelry.com/projects/wakenda/mrs-darcy-cardigan

Spiffy!
Jul 15, 2007

I, Woodpecker.

I used rav user wakenda's mods on this- she has directions for a 38" bust! http://www.ravelry.com/projects/wakenda/mrs-darcy-cardigan

Did you make yours 38"? You look smaller than that and I'm more 35-36ish myself

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Spiffy! posted:

Did you make yours 38"? You look smaller than that and I'm more 35-36ish myself

Nah, I used the stitch count from the original cardigan, but adjusted wakenda's modifications for it. :) I'm more of a 32"

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Apologies for the rubbish photo, but I wanted to show the cropped jumper that I'd just finished. I made it up entirely from scratch (sometimes as I went along), which might explain why it looks like a cross between a quarterback uniform and a unicorn. The yarn is uber fluffy polyester that I picked up at the 99p store- I wanted to do some experimenting without feeling like I needed a good result. I actually really like the finish, and it's pretty warm, but perhaps would've been nicer and more versitile as a bolero or a longer jumper (I like the sleeve length but I don't think I'm skinny enough to get away with a crop top). I think I'll fork out for some Sirdar Denim Ultra Chunky and make it again but slightly longer.

All in all- good experiment! But the yarn is the textile equivalent of sickly. At first you think "ooh this is so soft" and after a while that turns to "eww this feels weird and a little gross".

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

The yarn is uber fluffy polyester that I picked up at the 99p store-

All in all- good experiment! But the yarn is the textile equivalent of sickly. At first you think "ooh this is so soft" and after a while that turns to "eww this feels weird and a little gross".

Is it Fun Fur? I hate that stuff. I made a hat for my boyfriend's niece last year and it was the most hideous project I've ever worked on. She ended up looking like a Russian with a pastel barf hat (the hat, when worked with that yarn, looked like one of those stereotypical Russian fur hats). At first it felt soft, but the most I handled it, the more it would trap the moisture from my hands and then feel "squeeky." But she loved it anyway. She's also 7.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

justFaye posted:

Is it Fun Fur? I hate that stuff. I made a hat for my boyfriend's niece last year and it was the most hideous project I've ever worked on. She ended up looking like a Russian with a pastel barf hat (the hat, when worked with that yarn, looked like one of those stereotypical Russian fur hats). At first it felt soft, but the most I handled it, the more it would trap the moisture from my hands and then feel "squeeky." But she loved it anyway. She's also 7.

There is a layer of hell reserved for the man who invented fun fur. I swear every time I teach someone how to knit that's the yarn they show up with. It's fragile, impossible to catch fallen stitches, and just so :gonk:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

justFaye posted:

It was weird half spun polyester mixed with a single strand of that eyelash stuff (I bought it like that, didn't twirl it myself). The polyester kept splitting so I had a million ends to sew in at the end.

My mum once knitted me a cardigan in blue fun fur. It took her so long because she couldn't count the stitches and she told me if she ever found it on the floor she'd kill me.

It's currently lining the bed of my ex's cat.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

There is a layer of hell reserved for the man who invented fun fur. I swear every time I teach someone how to knit that's the yarn they show up with. It's fragile, impossible to catch fallen stitches, and just so :gonk:

It has its uses. It's great for fuzzy stuffed animals. Though I concur that it's absolutely one of the least pleasant yarns to work with.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

Oh man, this stupid hat had earflaps and cat ears added on after the body of the hat, so I had to go around and pick up stitches. Stitches are the most impossible thing to find on Fun Fur. And then the yarn pooped little pieces of itself all over every place I ever took it to work on it. I unfortunately have a ball leftover still and I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it, since I don't think polyester burns.

Edit: My first project was Lion Homespun, which my sister-in-law bought for me. It was so horrid I thought knitting was terrible and didn't knit for a full year after that first project. Then it finally occurred to me that maybe just the yarn sucked, not knitting in general.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

justFaye posted:

Edit: My first project was Lion Homespun, which my sister-in-law bought for me. It was so horrid I thought knitting was terrible and didn't knit for a full year after that first project. Then it finally occurred to me that maybe just the yarn sucked, not knitting in general.

I had no idea that people learnt to knit on anything but cheap DK acrylic and a pair of 4mms. It's so versatile that you can teach them the basics, plus it's easy to count stitches, increase and decrease and create textured patterns in it. On top of that, it's so washable so if their first project turns out all right, they can actually keep and use it.

quote:

I unfortunately have a ball leftover still and I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it, since I don't think polyester burns.

String it round your veggie garden to scare off birds that try and eat your crops.

Or curse another knitter with it. Say you see a newbie getting too cocky, hand over a ball of that and tell them to make something other than a teddy bear scarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I HATE acrylic. I taught myself with a nice washable wool blend. Shortly thereafter I did buy a skein of acrylic, just to gently caress around with and practise stuff on, but it is so unyielding and gross that I don't ever use it. I guess I was spoiled! Now I'm stashbusting to clean space, and having to work with the acrylic again is killing me. :P