Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

IAMKOREA posted:

poo poo there's one of those for cheap around me. Tempting as hell.

http://lawton.craigslist.org/mcy/1374851477.html

I'd been thinking of getting a DRZ 400 SM so I could do street and dirt, but this is so cheap I could just get a street bike later and have a bike that could actually commute on the highway. Should I do it? I already emailed the guy about miles.

That price is crazy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
BOY THE ADVENTURES JUST DON'T END DO THEY?!

Was on the way to the mall to get some things, i'm waiting to turn, I go and suddenly i'm sideways, but still upright. Hmm, very odd! My back wheel swings around the other direction and I think that my rear tire has given up the goat completely. I dart into a parking spot, shut it down and notice an ominous cloud of white smoke coming from my bike. I hop off, throw it on the stand and find out it's just pissing oil everywhere. One of the studs for the filter cover vibrated out just enough to loosen it and start that cascading waterfall of oil.

Thats what i'm hoping, at least.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I had a dream last night that my chain had a kink in it.

I'm having dreams about my bike now, they used to be all tits and dinosaurs and spaceships. I have the sickness.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I had a dream last night that my chain had a kink in it.

I'm having dreams about my bike now, they used to be all tits and dinosaurs and spaceships. I have the sickness.

I keep having dreams about going somewhere silly on a BMW GS. I'm gonna have to get one lest I go insane

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hell for Leather posted their review of the Ural ST and included this at the end:

quote:

The Ural ST you see in these photos is a prototype. To help facilitate completion of the new model, Ural has stated that any rider in the greater Seattle area can go ride the ST and give development feedback.

Well, since you guys insist...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Chairon posted:

Where'd you get those wide, flat bungees? I've never seen them before.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Where'd you get those wide, flat bungees? I've never seen them before.

They had them at Target in the automotive section.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chairon posted:

They had them at Target in the automotive section.

I have the same set, very handy.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
IF you guys were selling a bike with "no test drives unless cash in hand" in the ad, and someone didnt have cash since their current bike didnt sell what would you do? This is my 88 zx600 we are talking about btw. Require a decent deposit to cover damage from a drop? The bike only has liability right now so I would be 100% boned if the thing was totaled.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

IF you guys were selling a bike with "no test drives unless cash in hand" in the ad, and someone didnt have cash since their current bike didnt sell what would you do? This is my 88 zx600 we are talking about btw. Require a decent deposit to cover damage from a drop? The bike only has liability right now so I would be 100% boned if the thing was totaled.

Its not your problem he cant sell his bike. Rules are rules. If he doesnt have cash in hand to get a test drive then he probably doesnt have cash to buy the bike anyway. If he wads the thing up on a test drive, you get a bike thats not worth anything and he gets to go "well I dont have the money, lol". You are on the losing end of that battle.

I'd tell him he can come look at it. You can start it up, drive it around, to prove that it runs and moves. When he gets the money, he can do the same.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

I'd tell him he can come look at it. You can start it up, drive it around, to prove that it runs and moves. When he gets the money, he can do the same.

:v: Almost forgot I could offer those services

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If it's a bike that is worth a somewhat comparable amount I'd offer to hold the title to his bike.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

blugu64 posted:

If it's a bike that is worth a somewhat comparable amount I'd offer to hold the title to his bike.

And since it's not signed over to you that means absolutely nothing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Doctor Zero posted:

And since it's not signed over to you that means absolutely nothing.

I mean if he signed it obviously. I wouldn't sign it or anything until the inevitable happened.

EDIT: Sign it beforehand obviously.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 18, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

blugu64 posted:

I mean if he signed it obviously. I wouldn't sign it or anything until the inevitable happened.

That the problem. How are you going to make him sign it? He crashes the bike, you hand the title to him to sign, he rips it up, laughs and goes and requests a duplicate.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
No cash, no ride, period

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

No cash, no ride, period

This. I have broken this rule, rarely, but only when I was covered by insurance, and I felt that I had a good grasp on if they'd dump it or not.

His lack of ability to bring cash is just retarded. Tell him you'll ride it and he can watch and when he's ready to buy the bike, he can ride it. If he dumps it, he just bought himself a bike.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I took my bike out for a real ride for the first time in two weeks. Also, my first time in real traffic in a while. I rode to downtown Chicago and took Lake Shore Drive as far north as it would go. I've always wanted to get on LSD. Feels good to get out there again. I went from noon until 1:30, so the traffic wasn't too bad. I want to go down Michigan Ave. some time, but that's gonna be more dealing with lights and other cars. I should do that at like midnight on a Tuesday or something.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Michigan ave is a great place to take someone on the bike. Gives a passenger a lot to look at. As for riding, it's a bitch. If you want to see really pretty stuff, ride out to the planetarium. .... I intend on taking piggy there.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
The view on LSD at night heading through the Loop is one of my very favorite sights on a bike, I always take passengers through there.

Michigan Ave. sucks for riding though, there are always clueless tourists and tons of cabs. God I hate cabs (when I'm riding).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's a good day and time to go out there after sunset? I don't want to deal with the remnants of rush hour traffic, but I don't want to go so late that I have to worry about drunk drivers and such.

EDIT: Nice. I'm used to 2 am last call in P-Town.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 18, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Drunks happen when the bars close. so.. anytime before 4am should be fine :-)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Uthor posted:

What's a good day and time to go out there after sunset? I don't want to deal with the remnants of rush hour traffic, but I don't want to go so late that I have to worry about drunk drivers and such.

EDIT: Nice. I'm used to 2 am last call in P-Town.

Ahahaha, I could care less about drunks around where I live. sundown= deer everyfuckingwhere. I stopped riding nights after I got licensed. Before that I was out on my temps at like 1am in a school fully-lit parking lot practicing maneuvers.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Well I bought the TW200 today. Thing is awesome. 1400 bucks for a 2004 with 8000 miles, no obvious problems, runs really well. I thought something must have been wrong with it since it was so cheap but the dude just seemed really nice, he even paid 131 bucks to get it tagged for me without me asking which he didn't need to do. I mean I had already agreed to buy it and he just surprised me and did it right before he signed the title over.

I'm going to get arrested riding this. It's so small and light and maneuverable it feels like a toy, so it doesn't even feel like I'm breaking any laws riding through parks and poo poo like that.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I loved the TW200 I had for the BRC. It was pretty similar in shape to the XR80 I'd had all of my motoring experience on up to that point, but it had all those real motorcycle bits like a speedometer, headlight, etc.

It was a blast and I would own one in an instant. Really fun to toss around the cones on the range. I honestly liked it better on the range than my Ninja.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$1400 for an 04 is a smoking deal.

I only hope I can find something like that when I'm ready to buy one.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Chairon posted:

BOY THE ADVENTURES JUST DON'T END DO THEY?!

Was on the way to the mall to get some things, i'm waiting to turn, I go and suddenly i'm sideways, but still upright. Hmm, very odd! My back wheel swings around the other direction and I think that my rear tire has given up the goat completely. I dart into a parking spot, shut it down and notice an ominous cloud of white smoke coming from my bike. I hop off, throw it on the stand and find out it's just pissing oil everywhere. One of the studs for the filter cover vibrated out just enough to loosen it and start that cascading waterfall of oil.

Thats what i'm hoping, at least.

gently caress oil! And gently caress aluminum blocks that I keep stripping the threads out of! I thought I had it right, Helicoils, new bolts, loctite but no! It happened to me again. It looks like i'm just going to drill the holes out to a larger size and tap some new, good threads. Stronger loctite too.

Man, pushing my bike the mile back home was a workout. I would have about died if I had a cruiser or something equally heavy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chairon posted:

gently caress oil! And gently caress aluminum blocks that I keep stripping the threads out of! I thought I had it right, Helicoils, new bolts, loctite but no! It happened to me again. It looks like i'm just going to drill the holes out to a larger size and tap some new, good threads. Stronger loctite too.

Man, pushing my bike the mile back home was a workout. I would have about died if I had a cruiser or something equally heavy.

It sounds like you're really overtightening the bolts...are you torquing them down or doing it by hand? I'd be securing them carefully by hand at this point...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

This. I have broken this rule, rarely, but only when I was covered by insurance, and I felt that I had a good grasp on if they'd dump it or not.

His lack of ability to bring cash is just retarded. Tell him you'll ride it and he can watch and when he's ready to buy the bike, he can ride it. If he dumps it, he just bought himself a bike.

Well he got cash from his friend, took it out for a test ride today.

Test ride was practically a wheelie down the road, but whatever, got a deposit on it and will be finalizing the deal mid next week. :woop:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Edit: reposted in questions thread.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I kind of want a monster 1100 (or maybe go crazy and get a streetfighter). I've wanted to own a Duc for a while and I think it would be nice to have a bike that won't punish me too much for wanting to ride all day around town and on the freeway. I kind of want to start riding track days as well. It would probably be great if I could use my CBR for that and then use a monster or something as a street bike :) That costs $$$ though :( Maybe I should use my CBR as a trade and then buy some other guys old track bike at a later date :shobon:

Maybe I should do the smart thing and just keep with what I have (get some Heli bars or something if I really can't stop whining) since I do want to start grad school sometime :shobon:

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

It sounds like you're really overtightening the bolts...are you torquing them down or doing it by hand? I'd be securing them carefully by hand at this point...

Doing it by hand. I couldn't find the torque value for the bolts in my clymer so I assumed it was a "get it until it's tight" thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Chairon posted:

Doing it by hand. I couldn't find the torque value for the bolts in my clymer so I assumed it was a "get it until it's tight" thing.

There should be a table that lists the torque values of the various things, along with a default torque for everything else. You don't have one in there?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Chairon posted:

How the gently caress did you manage to strip a Helicoil from the block? Seriously what you need is less adrenaline, shorter wrenches and a bit of sensitivity - not stronger Loctite. You shouldn't even need Loctite for an oil plug.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
So, who here also has an ATK?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

There should be a table that lists the torque values of the various things, along with a default torque for everything else. You don't have one in there?

I do, it's got the torque for the drain plug and some others, but not one just for the filter cover. So by crankcase bolts, it pretty much means any bolts on the crankcase? :ohdear:

Blaster of Justice posted:

How the gently caress did you manage to strip a Helicoil from the block? Seriously what you need is less adrenaline, shorter wrenches and a bit of sensitivity - not stronger Loctite. You shouldn't even need Loctite for an oil plug.

I didn't strip the Helicoils, the one stud I had that I thought was good is what I stripped.

It's funny, putting new tires on and changing the fork oil, easy. But an oil change? Three days work.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
The TW200 is really really fun. I spent all of Saturday riding through alleys dodging junkies and vagrants in the desolate urban blight of midtown Oklahoma City. The place is totally abandoned on weekends, full of old boarded up buildings, absolutely huge with lots of weird places and things to check out. It's like urban exploration but on a bike.

Today I put it through it's paces today offroad. It could handle everything my friends Rubicon could except for really steep hills where it just doesn't have enough power. Riding offroad for the first time was pretty crazy. We rode through lots and lots of sand, which I quickly found is really loving tough. I can't imagine trying to learn to ride dirt on something as big as a KLR or DRZ, maybe my technique was bad but I had to put my foot down to keep from dropping the bike all the loving time, may have just been because of the really soft sand though. Anyway I think it would be really hard to keep a bike that big upright on soft sand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, I cant wait to pick up a TW200. I need a good on/off-road bike to take on the T.W.A.T., and my Kawasaki 250 is eternally backburnered due to complete lack of parts, and the RV90 just isnt fast enough to get there in a good amount of time from Milwaukee, although I have no doubts about its ability to handle it.

Post more TW200 stories so I can live vicariously through you.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

I was taking my two year old son out for a walk on Sunday morning when I noticed a sport bike on the road. I pointed it out to my son, "Look son, there's a motorcycle that's sorta like the one I ride." The biker noticed us and honked the horn and took off which made my son's day. I was secretly hoping it was a goon.

Heh, I was out for a ride last week and stopped at a cross-road to allow a mom and her 2 boys to cross. They turned around and waved at me, and when I did the same I used my left hand and promptly dumped the clutch and stalled. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Chris Knight posted:

Heh, I was out for a ride last week and stopped at a cross-road to allow a mom and her 2 boys to cross. They turned around and waved at me, and when I did the same I used my left hand and promptly dumped the clutch and stalled. Oops.
I was cruising by a mom and her kid in the stroller, and as we approached she turned the stroller towards the road so the kid could watch me coming along. I looked as I went by, and he was sporting a huge :eek: face, with a wide-open mouth. He likely right around a year old or so.. gotta get to em early!