Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Have you thought of getting the larger fuel tank for the hyper? Stock tank gets what 80 miles to it?

I'm not going to get the larger tank. I think the stock fuel capacity is perfect for the intended purpose of this bike. It's not a long distance bike and I use it for commuting and day long rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bung posted:

I'm not going to get the larger tank. I think the stock fuel capacity is perfect for the intended purpose of this bike. running to the coffee house back over curbs and everything else that happens to be in your way

Also is it true it doesn't even mess up your hair?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, that option only comes with the S version.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Got pulled over for the second time cause of my "dirtbike stlye" tail light. It looked good, but I guess it's time to get an Edge. Wouldn't of had to bother if the stock taillight actually passed inspection or the exhaust didn't melt the plastic plate holder.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed a new universal headlight setup, since it's IMPOSSIBLE to find a stock setup anywhere. Took about 2 hours because I'm a perfectionist and had to re-mount it like 4 times, and move stuff like the horn out from the path of the wires.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was gonna check the valves on my monster, but took a look at the setup and said, "gently caress this, I need a shop before I do this myself". Instead checked the brake pads, plugs, belts, and washed it. Tried to take it for a ride, then it stalled after doing a wheelie up a hill and wouldn't start up again, so I pushed it 6 blocks back home. :smith: I think it's just water, so if it doesn't start up tomorrow, then I'll be concerned.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Was gonna check the valves on my monster, but took a look at the setup and said, "gently caress this, I need a shop before I do this myself". Instead checked the brake pads, plugs, belts, and washed it. Tried to take it for a ride, then it stalled after doing a wheelie up a hill and wouldn't start up again, so I pushed it 6 blocks back home. :smith: I think it's just water, so if it doesn't start up tomorrow, then I'll be concerned.

Valves are easier to get to on the Monster than my Supersport, Since you have to take out the rear shock and the battery tray to do the vertical head. Go get yourself some feeler gauges and get it done!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Not my bike, but fixed a friend's bike. Looked at the trackbike in the garage and started planning to tear it down and get it cleaned up, repaired, and repainted. :ohdear:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Got the new tires on my trackbike, terrorized my neighborhood for a couple minutes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Once again failed to find an inspection station that wasn't booked up. I need to do this on a weekday, but drat it I've been at work all day and there's too much world out there to enjoy in the afternoon!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I haven't bought a paddock stand yet but I need to easily rotate the rear wheel to clean and lube the chain. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up the Haulmaster Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand. It works pretty well.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Had some great fun that included 6 NGK iridium DR8EIX spark plugs and a massive amount of blood. I'm seriously considering pulling the shitfucking, Satan-endorsed, massive lump of an engineclusterfuck next time I feel like doing this.

What's the current marked price of a pristine looking CBX1000? How much do I have to pay to get somebody to take it away. We've had almost 20 years together, but enough is enough.

Today I discovered that a previous blood loss had etched a bit on the block beneath carburetor 5. There's no way in hell I'm going to remove the carburetor block again to polish this poo poo up.

I took her out for punishment afterward. Great. Now my gloves are wet as gently caress from inside out. I probably need a blood plasma transfer urgently.

And to the inevitable jackass that feels the need to tell me to wear mechanic gloves next time I wrench that overengineered hellspawn: You've never wrenched a CBX. You need to file down your loving fingers to get them CBX compliant, so shut the gently caress up.

It actually helped venting this. Thanks for listening, Internet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bung posted:

I haven't bought a paddock stand yet but I need to easily rotate the rear wheel to clean and lube the chain. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up the Haulmaster Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand. It works pretty well.

That is freaking rad. I picked up one of their wheel stands but my pipes interfere so I have to really need to use it to bust it out. Definitely stopping by the local store tomorrow to pick one of these up. <3 Harbour Freight

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Installed clubman bars on the 650 Seca, plugged up the hole where the tach drive lives (too ghetto to explain), powerwashed the front of the engine and adjusted the cam tensioner. My god, the cam chain must have been all over the place before, because the bike revs a lot smoother at higher RPMs now. Considering how easy that job was it was probably the best effort:return fix I've done so far. With the clean engine, I can see now that I'm leaking oil from the cylinder head bolts; I'm sure there's a weekend job lurking in that area.

I still need to do a valve adjustment, but it's a shim-under-bucket design so I'm not looking forward to the $80 or so of dime size pucks I'll probably need to acquire.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I fixed a box to the back of my bike so I can do shopping with it. It has room for a box of beer to fit snugly so it doesn't even move around. I think I'll be integrating some kind of sissy bar for my girlfriend, cause she finds the box uncomfortable :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

blugu64 posted:

Reupholstered the seat on the transalp. I'll post a photo or two tomorrow.

Not too shabby for never having done this before and having 20 year old foam. Still looks alot better then it did all torn up.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
loving rode it. No license for 2 months sucked. Also the -1 front sprocket is like whoa.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Not too shabby for never having done this before and having 20 year old foam. Still looks alot better then it did all torn up.

Lookit that Ninja looking all dejected in the background...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Lookit that Ninja looking all dejected in the background...

Heh, I took it out today for the first time in a few weeks. Been out of town on business too much to get any riding in, and man it was like that bee scene in honey I shrunk the kids. It might have more power, and better off road, and can get me to stupider places but deep down I think I have more fun on the ninja.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Replaced my bent kickstand

got very very very greasy in the process. mmmmm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

niethan posted:

I fixed a box to the back of my bike so I can do shopping with it. It has room for a box of beer to fit snugly so it doesn't even move around. I think I'll be integrating some kind of sissy bar for my girlfriend, cause she finds the box uncomfortable :(

I saw the fairing and got a little worried, but then I remembered it was a Tengai and a plastic crate is pretty much the canonical KLR topcase.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I was kind of getting tired of my little Moose Trail bag and having to keep multiple goggles, tool kit, water, bungees in it, and I always wanted to do this, so here it is.

It took maybe 10 minutes, most of which was spent looking for suitable length screws. Mount, mark, Drill, Drill more, install. It doesn't touch me unless i sit all the way back and even then I can sort of use it as a pseudo backrest.

This weekend I'll drill the can lid locking portion for an eye-bolt so I can lock it.

I'd like to turn a couple of these 40mm Cans in panniers, but that will take some creative mounting. Also, they weight a loving ton.

Its pretty common to see them in that use though, they are pretty much exactly the right size:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/Thatothersmaylive/Bikes/V-Strom%20ammo%20cans/P1010056.jpg

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Chill_Bebop posted:

I'd like to turn a couple of these 40mm Cans in panniers, but that will take some creative mounting. Also, they weight a loving ton.

Its pretty common to see them in that use though, they are pretty much exactly the right size:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/Thatothersmaylive/Bikes/V-Strom%20ammo%20cans/P1010056.jpg

I wouldn't bother with the ammo cans, they just weigh to much. I was going to do the same thing but after adding up the weight of two cans and a heavy duty mounting system, I came up with something else. This is assuming that you will be riding off road. If you want to build reasonably priced side panniers I recommend Pelican cases.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put oil in the Honda and washed the Buell. The Honda was bone-dry somehow (valve cover gasket leak), and still running like a champ. I tend to ignore it sometimes because it's my beater, but I'm going to pay more attention to it from now on, since I expect to ride it this winter.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Found an oil leak on the Hyper today so it has to go back to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully the gasket I need is in stock.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I put my bellypan and flyscreen on the Speed triple, so it basically looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Fantastipotamus posted:

I put my bellypan and flyscreen on the Speed triple, so it basically looks like this:

I wish the speed triple would get the undertail exhaust that's on the Sprint. WIth that, it would be just about perfect in my mind.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sunday I cleaned the air filter and cleaned up the last of the messy drain hoses so the engine is nice and tidy now (though some braided radiator hoses would be good). Last night I had to give it a full detail after the dust storm and will now have to clean the air-filter again. Open intakes :eng99:

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

blugu64 posted:

Looks good, well done - looks to clean the whole thing up nicely. Let the ninja sit there and sulk.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Last night I had to give it a full detail after the dust storm and will now have to clean the air-filter again.

I saw a few pictures of the dust storm in the news reports here in the states. How bad was it? How much dust did it leave on everything? The pictures were crazy so I'm curious how nasty it actually was.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I just discovered that the brake problem that had the Hyper in the shop for 5 weeks has returned. And now I have another oil leak to go along with the one mentioned above. I really like the bike but I am seriously regretting jumping from Triumph to Ducati.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

I'll be putting a new headlamp on my motorcycle soon. Where did you find this gem?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

ari.gato posted:

I'll be putting a new headlamp on my motorcycle soon. Where did you find this gem?

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&product=universal_headlights

Me and another guy at the GSR forums got one, we're both pretty happy with it. For 60$ it's kinda hard to beat.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 24, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Raven457 posted:

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&product=universal_headlights

Me and another guy at the GSR forums got one, we're both pretty happy with it. For 60$ it's kinda hard to beat.

From everything I've seen, Delkevic stuff is the absolute best that you're going to see when it comes to chinese knockoff stuff, and when you can get complete fairing sets for 300$, it's sort of hard to beat.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

From everything I've seen, Delkevic stuff is the absolute best that you're going to see when it comes to chinese knockoff stuff, and when you can get complete fairing sets for 300$, it's sort of hard to beat.

I'm really tempted to get one of their cans. $150 bucks for a stainless slip-on is hard to beat.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

jdonz posted:

I'm really tempted to get one of their cans. $150 bucks for a stainless slip-on is hard to beat.

Yeah I saw that. A full 4 into 1 system for my bike is on their site for $250.00! I'm tempted as all hell.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I hit the rev limiter for the first time!

And almost dumped it later on, I was pulling into my driveway but there is a ton of construction going on so they have this hard rubber tube on my driveway, tire hit it at an angle and bike went about 2/3 over. Luckily I was only going like 5 mph so I was able to save it with my foot.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jdonz posted:

I saw a few pictures of the dust storm in the news reports here in the states. How bad was it? How much dust did it leave on everything? The pictures were crazy so I'm curious how nasty it actually was.

It was pretty drat crazy. There was a fine film of dust over everything. It's loving bull dust, which is really fine and gets in everywhere.

And there's another one predicted for tomorrow. Woot.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Bolted a pelican case as a topcase, put a new brake leaver on and adjusted the chain. Good Day today!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The kikker stalled out on be a couple times and wouldn't start back up. I finially figured out it was the solenoid grounding out that was the reason I wasn't getting spark. I also ran out of fuel, but thought I still had plenty. :blush: Now it should keep running like a charm.

Edit: also got the electric start working and lubed the clutch cable, it's great now.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 27, 2009