Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm shooting a big music festival in Portland all weekend so forgive me if I spam a lot of photos the next couple of days but it's been a while since I've shot any number of shows and I've got some new gear to play with.

my camera bag is pretty heavy at the moment.
Canon 5d MkII
Canon 50mm f/1.4 (my workhorse for the last 4 years or so)
Canon 24mm f/1.4 (new purchase, loving it)
Canon 580exII (rental, need to purchase one at some point)
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (always rent this for the bigger venues)

speaking of fog...

the Arctic Monkeys had a lot of fog last night.

full set here http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157622287847763/

and a video here http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/3934676887/in/set-72157622287847763/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I kind of like noise in concert photography, if done well. Even a bit of movement in the photos can be forgiven, as long as it isn't done with a flash. I really don't like those colour-streaks flash can give with a bit of movement. Makes it looke so...cheap.

To contribute, here's some pictures of Bob Log III taken a short while ago by my girlfriend:

http://www.barbaraperemans.be/music/bob-log-iii

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Sterf posted:

I kind of like noise in concert photography, if done well. Even a bit of movement in the photos can be forgiven, as long as it isn't done with a flash. I really don't like those colour-streaks flash can give with a bit of movement. Makes it looke so...cheap.

To contribute, here's some pictures of Bob Log III taken a short while ago by my girlfriend:

He's very good to photograph. An interesting picture is guaranteed every single time. He's also funny as hell. Did you see my shots on the previous page?

Edit: Also those are loving ace. They kick poo poo out of mine, but mine were during the day so there was no interesting light show.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Sterf posted:

What kind of gear is needed to pull of those kinds of shots?
Seems like a fair bit of PP, but I'm sure the shot was drat sharp to start wth

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

What kind of gear is needed to pull of those kinds of shots?
Seems like a fair bit of PP, but I'm sure the shot was drat sharp to start wth

Was done with a Canon 300D and an old 50mm 1.8 lense. Except the one from afar offcourse.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
More stuff.

A local venue recently renovated and re-opened under the name "Venue". How original. They now have a fancy pants LED board behind the stage that plays Winamp-style visualizations and scrolls the band name while the band plays. It's bright enough to gently caress up any sort of automatic metering so you have to shoot manual. They also installed a bunch of LED stage lights which do a great job of making post-production miserable:

Gallery: http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2009/Red-City-BreakoutFighting-for/9683611_u5bEw#654162480_3Y4DZ

A couple of shots from a show a couple of weeks ago featuring Fake Shark - Real Zombie and Ninjaspy. If either band comes around your stretch of the woods, definitely check them out. Shot on Ilford Delta 400 at 1600:

Gallery: http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2009/NinjaspyFake-Shark-Real/9640507_mgsDT#650157050_gKHHV

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

More stuff.

A local venue recently renovated and re-opened under the name "Venue". How original. They now have a fancy pants LED board behind the stage that plays Winamp-style visualizations and scrolls the band name while the band plays. It's bright enough to gently caress up any sort of automatic metering so you have to shoot manual. They also installed a bunch of LED stage lights which do a great job of making post-production miserable:

man, are you kidding me? I'd KILL to have that much light at most of the venues in Portland. LED lightwalls are amazing and LED floods are going to provide for WAY more color possibilities. Does your camera do spot metering? if so it shouldn't really be an issue.

What aperture were most of those shot at? looking at your gallery you've got more than enough light to shoot at a higher shutter speed which should make shooting at that place a breeze when you figure out how to meter for the performers.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 22, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What software are you using to run your site?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Looks like he's using Wordpress.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

psylent posted:

What software are you using to run your site?

Wordpress with NextGen Gallery plugin for the photo management.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

man, are you kidding me? I'd KILL to have that much light at most of the venues in Portland. LED lightwalls are amazing and LED floods are going to provide for WAY more color possibilities. Does your camera do spot metering? if so it shouldn't really be an issue.

What aperture were most of those shot at? looking at your gallery you've got more than enough light to shoot at a higher shutter speed which should make shooting at that place a breeze when you figure out how to meter for the performers.

Spot metering is tough when the subjects are moving around and it's hard to see exactly where the camera is metering when you're trying to place a black square on a dark subject. Miss the subject by a hair and the meter screws up.

The problem with LED lighting is that camera sensors react differently to it than to regular incandescent lighting. You know how red lights mess with camera sensors? LEDs are like that for every colour so I had to go and pull back the magenta, blue and red saturation individually for every photo because they had, you guessed it, magenta, blue and red LED spotlights.

The lighting was actually a lot darker than it appears because I cranked it up in post. I was shooting around 1/60 to 1/125 at wide open. When I actually used metering and metered for the performers, shutter speeds were way too slow, like 1/8 to 1/20.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Adam Elmakias is streaming his photo shoot with Pierce The Veil live right now if anyone wants to watch and chat it up with a bunch of other photogs.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/elmakias

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
http://blog.photoshelter.com/corp/2009/07/how-to-take-the-worlds-best-co.html

This guy gives quite a few good tips.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A couple of neat unintentional effects.

Great combo of backlight plus stage fog led to a neat starburst sort of effect:

A metering mistake led to a 1/15 exposure time, which led to a dreamy soft focus effect:

Rest of gallery, not quite so flukey: http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2009/Versus-The-NothingCetra/9747261_bk2Rz#660095634_ufGZW

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had a nightmare shoot for a friend's band's album launch last night. Very dim lighting, with a data projector projected right onto the drummer and they also had a bubble blower going half the time. I think it's the first time I've shot a band where the drummer was the best lit person on stage.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Took pictures of Juliette Lewis last night. It was a light so completely poor that nothing would work without a flash kind of place. I am pretty happy with these.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just got approved for a whole slew of shows in the next month. Finally getting back in the swing of things. Still waiting for a final confirmation on Metallica next week, but the odds are decent.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I went to my first show as a photographer. Was nice being on the guess list haha.

Here are some of what I managed to get, there is little to no editing done to them so I'd like feedback on what I could do in post to make them better. Regular critiques are welcomed as well. They will get published with an article on bang bang

I don't know if there is a limit in this thread so tell me if I need to take some of those down.

First first part was Broadway calls

Second first part was Outernational

Finally, streetlight manifesto as the main event

All in all, I loved the experience but drat it was crazy. It was a very small place to have show with so many people with bars getting in the way (I stepped on one of the for the guitarist of streetlight, but the bouncer was quick to tell me to get down). There wasn't any spot reserved for photographs and it was impossible to shoot from the front lines (couldn't get there since everyone was skanking hard, with my 50mm I was too close to take good shots anyway and constant bodysurfing)

Anyway I'm pretty happy with some of my shots. Tell me what you think!

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Shot JJ Grey & Mofro last night. They were very cool with me shooting for the newspaper- I was up front and shot the whole set. Right at 75 minutes or so.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MMD3 posted:

"I'm currently shooting freelance and was intending to give the photos to a local music blog"

then quickly dig up the email address for someone with a music blog and ask them if they'll run the photos.

This ended up working perfectly, I'm in to shoot Cannibal Corpse.

Now I could use some more help.

There is this big metal fest every year in Baltimore called Maryland Death Fest. I sent the PR person a vague email asking about getting a photo pass for next year. I got this reply:

quote:

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the late response. In order to be considered for a press
pass you have to work for one of the bands playing, a metal magazine
or an approved web-site. I'm sorry, but we do not give out passes
otherwise since our capacity is very limited.

If you have employment with a magazine or such, let me know and I'll
get back to you.

If you have any other questions regarding press/media don't hesitate to ask.

I understand them being picky about who they give passes to, it's one of the biggest and most important fests in underground metal. That and tickets are $120 for 3 days. I don't care about not paying, I just want to shoot it next year. So how I can work this?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Haggins posted:

This ended up working perfectly, I'm in to shoot Cannibal Corpse.

Now I could use some more help.

There is this big metal fest every year in Baltimore called Maryland Death Fest. I sent the PR person a vague email asking about getting a photo pass for next year. I got this reply:

I understand them being picky about who they give passes to, it's one of the biggest and most important fests in underground metal. That and tickets are $120 for 3 days. I don't care about not paying, I just want to shoot it next year. So how I can work this?

pretty straight forward...

1) contact a band about taking photos for them, offer your photos for free use in exchange for a pass. (probably going to work best with a smaller band). problem with this is they may give you some stipulation that you're only cleared to shoot that band but getting your camera in is 80% of the problem so that should work either way. Also you can count on them not having different wristbands for each band so unless the PR folks are watching you like a hawk you won't have trouble.

2) find a metal publication to start shooting for, this will solve lots of your problems in the future if you're confident enough that you can deliver some good shots for them or if you already have good stuff in your portfolio to convince them with. If this is really a big festival it might be tough because they'll probably already have photogs for it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MMD3 posted:

pretty straight forward...

1) contact a band about taking photos for them, offer your photos for free use in exchange for a pass. (probably going to work best with a smaller band). problem with this is they may give you some stipulation that you're only cleared to shoot that band but getting your camera in is 80% of the problem so that should work either way. Also you can count on them not having different wristbands for each band so unless the PR folks are watching you like a hawk you won't have trouble.

2) find a metal publication to start shooting for, this will solve lots of your problems in the future if you're confident enough that you can deliver some good shots for them or if you already have good stuff in your portfolio to convince them with. If this is really a big festival it might be tough because they'll probably already have photogs for it.

Cool, I'll start working angles right away.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Also, have you tried your local newspaper? Write them- explain what you do, what you wish to acomplish and ask if they can offer advice or help. Most newspaper contract out a lot of stuff- like concerts- so they don't tie up their staff photogs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
gently caress Florida drivers. I live 90 minutes from Tampa and I left my house at 5:30 to go shoot Blink 182 for AP. About halfway in I get stuck in a gigantic accident that took 2 hours to go 5 miles. Then I get through that and I'm hauling rear end just so I can make it for Blink, then literally 500 feet before the exit there's another huge multi-car accident that left me literally parked on the highway for 20 minutes causing me to miss the show. 4 hours of driving one way for nothing.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rockcity posted:

gently caress Florida drivers. I live 90 minutes from Tampa and I left my house at 5:30 to go shoot Blink 182 for AP. About halfway in I get stuck in a gigantic accident that took 2 hours to go 5 miles. Then I get through that and I'm hauling rear end just so I can make it for Blink, then literally 500 feet before the exit there's another huge multi-car accident that left me literally parked on the highway for 20 minutes causing me to miss the show. 4 hours of driving one way for nothing.

ouch, for AP? how do they take that?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MMD3 posted:

ouch, for AP? how do they take that?

Not sure, I emailed them this morning about it to let them know what happened. I sent them a link to a video of the accident. Apparently it was a 20 car crash and it backed up 10 miles of 3 lane highway.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

rockcity posted:

Not sure, I emailed them this morning about it to let them know what happened. I sent them a link to a video of the accident. Apparently it was a 20 car crash and it backed up 10 miles of 3 lane highway.

Did you at least get pictures of it? :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well them being the AP I'd guess they'd know if you were lying or not.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Haggins posted:

Well them being the AP I'd guess they'd know if you were lying or not.

Not really. The photographer they sent to cover the accident probably got stuck in traffic on the way to the accident.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

Not really. The photographer they sent to cover the accident probably got stuck in traffic on the way to the accident.

Maybe the first photographer went to go cover the first accident then became the cause of the second accident.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He might be talking about Alternative Press :ssh:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No. 9 posted:

He might be talking about Alternative Press :ssh:

I was wondering why the Associated Press would want Blink 182 photos and how rockcity landed a gig with them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

I was wondering why the Associated Press would want Blink 182 photos and how rockcity landed a gig with them.

Actually I've shot for the Associated Press several times. I worked for a newspaper for 4 years and did freelance, so I've done my share of photojournalism.

But yes, as this is the concert thread I was referring to Alternative Press, not the Associated Press.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Added a few more sets from the festival I went to, plus some shots of the legend that is Frank Sidebottom from a different gig. They are noisy as gently caress, because I can't be arsed to process them properly. Most people don't notice anyway. Really been annoyed lately with the results of my work. Maybe I'm just not thinking before pushing the shutter button.

Explosions in the Sky: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622475210524/

The Boy Least Likely To: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622410824858/

Okkervil River: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622418656608/

Efterklang: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622294883047/

Richmond Fontaine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622294922213/

Frank Sidebottom: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622471290438/

(Yes, that's his real head! :) )

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thehustler posted:

Added a few more sets from the festival I went to, plus some shots of the legend that is Frank Sidebottom from a different gig. They are noisy as gently caress, because I can't be arsed to process them properly. Most people don't notice anyway. Really been annoyed lately with the results of my work. Maybe I'm just not thinking before pushing the shutter button.

Try photographing more dynamic bands. The poses in your photos are bland because the performers are doing bland things regardless of how wonderful the music is. Either that or learn to catch the performers in moments of exertion. Go check out concert photos of bands like Monotonix or some other wild act.

Another suggestion might be to try different angles. Get low and close and shoot wide. Doing that exaggerates angles and lines and makes things seem crazier than they are.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Try photographing more dynamic bands. The poses in your photos are bland because the performers are doing bland things regardless of how wonderful the music is. Either that or learn to catch the performers in moments of exertion. Go check out concert photos of bands like Monotonix or some other wild act.

Another suggestion might be to try different angles. Get low and close and shoot wide. Doing that exaggerates angles and lines and makes things seem crazier than they are.

This. Technically, your photos are fine, but they don't tell a story. A photo should speak for itself. You should be able to get an idea of what's going on from it. Almost all of them look like they couldn't care less about what they're doing in those shots. In situations like that somtimes you have to use your angles to bring drama to the photo when the musicians won't do it for you.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

HPL posted:

Speaking of which, got a chance to shoot Monotonix in a tiiiny venue recently. Hilariously chaotic and a hell of a lot of fun.

The set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157622455711890/

I'm just starting to get band shoots under my belt, so any critique/comments on these are appreciated.

dreggory fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 29, 2009

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

dreggory posted:

Speaking of which, got a chance to shoot Monotonix in a tiiiny venue recently. Hilariously chaotic and a hell of a lot of fun.

The set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157622455711890/

I'm just starting to get band shoots under my belt, so any critique/comments on these are appreciated.
What sort of post processing are you doing? I kind of like the feel with almost no blacks hit.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Very very basic, minimal stuff with the exception of a few of the (thankfully rare) onstage shots. I'll generally go in and tweak the white balance a little so that skin tones and overall lighting match up with what I remember from the show. If it came out a little too dark I'll brighten it up until I start seeing noise in the blacks and pull it down a bit from there. I just started using lightroom over photoshop for image importing/editing and it is a huge godsend. Cut my editing time in half, easily.

I was shooting at either 1600 or 3200 ISO the whole time just to keep the shutter speed high enough, so it was inevitable I was going to end up with a good amount of noise in some of them, but I think it works for that last shot.

That first one in the pics above I just happened to hit right as someone's P&S flash was going off. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Appreciate the comments, guys.

I am generally not very good at more "interesting" shots. I think also, shooting a festival when you are low down in a pit doesn't give you the best of angles for more interesting shots, because you get equipment in view.

In smaller venues, I find it much easier to take those interesting shots. Of course, it helps having the nice lenses to get the fast shutter speed too. I've lost count of the amount of shots I've had to thrown away because of excessive blurriness when they could have been amazing :(