Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Why is it that every phone I want to get someone has something horrible to say about it? Your gripes seem superficial to be honest. The screen resolution was fine for my needs because I won't be watching streaming video. I can't understand morons who pay extra for VCAST or any other carrier equivilent for 8 second video clips. We own a TomTom for GPS, so who cares if the phone doesn't have it? The camera takes decent enough photos for a drat phone, it's not like I'm a professional photographer.

The OS seemed to work just fine in the store. It was responsive, no lag, and stuff was easy to find. The modern smartphones like the Pre and Tour and Storm I handled had considerable application lag (storm is notorious for this), especially the Pre. Sure it can multitask, but when the phone stutters upon executing one of the multitasked screens, I'm a bit iffy.

Yea, compared to a modern smartphone I probably wouldn't do it either, but I'm not trying to compare a 3 year old smartphone to a modern one, because if I was doing that I'd get the new iPhone or whatever. I just want a nifty smartphone with full web browsing ability, SMS/IM, email (POP/IMAP) and maybe a few other features. I certainly don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for total ownership.

Failing this, what about the Samsung Instinct?

The Instinct is 1000x worse than the Centro. It's a touchscreen dumbphone. If you absolutely can't pay more than a Centro, get it or Blackberry Pearl.

If you aren't going to spring for a newer smartphone, get the Blackberry Curve for $50 if at all possible. This would be better than a Pearl or Centro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Double Tap, the Centro isn't a bad phone. It's a simple smartphone that has an easy learning curve. But that keyboard is truly unbearable compared to the Tour or Curve's. Try out the Tour, Curve and Centro keyboards in a Sprint store. You will be shocked at how bad the Centro keyboard is. Speaking of the Tour, I highly suggest you get it. In SA-Mart's deals section, there's a guy offering $1 Tours on new activations IIRC. The Tour is a Curve that is drastically improved. Decent camera, amazing keyboard, amazing screen, nice size, and it's a modern phone. If the Tour is out of your price range and you can't get on that deal in SA-Mart, go for the Curve. The Curve 8330 is a great phone and is better than the Centro. And throw out the idea of the Instinct, it's a crippled resistive touch dumbphone.

Flaming Monkey
Apr 20, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

Once you log in with the employee ID/email, click the Phones tab, then either All Phones or PDA/Smartphones. The Pre is first on the list.

I could not get this to work. Then I switched my zip code to 90210, and everything became available. It must be that they don't offer the same phones in every zip code...

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

I could not get this to work. Then I switched my zip code to 90210, and everything became available. It must be that they don't offer the same phones in every zip code...

Your original zip may be in an affiliate market. If your parents live in a zip where you can order any phone, do that and just have your bill sent to them for a month, then change your address.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The Instinct is 1000x worse than the Centro. It's a touchscreen dumbphone. If you absolutely can't pay more than a Centro, get it or Blackberry Pearl.

If you aren't going to spring for a newer smartphone, get the Blackberry Curve for $50 if at all possible. This would be better than a Pearl or Centro.

This jacks up my total cost of ownership my leaps and bounds.

What kind of phone do you use, 900ftjesus?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Double Tap posted:

You really should be on Sprint EPRP. How many lines are you going to have on that plan? You can get 2 lines on EPRP with 1600 minutes, unlimited texts and data, GPS for $109.99/month and additional lines are $14.99 a month.

I'm pretty sure I remember 900ftjesus using a Touch Pro but I'm not so sure on that now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Double Tap posted:

You mentioned on the last page that your share plan will work out to around $110/mo. Sprint's EPRP family plan starts at $110 for 2 lines, with 1600 minutes and all the unlimited cell talk/data/text stuff as well. If you're persistent with a rep, you might even finagle your mil discount on top of that too. If your budget is around $150 for a phone, why would you settle for an outdated phone when you have other, modern options at the same price point?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You can pay $2,700 to spend two years with two Palm Centros, or you can pay $3,040 to spend two years with two technologically superior BlackBerry Tours. The Tour also includes such wildly modern features as "the ability to compose text without wanting to kill yourself" (as mentioned by others in this thread) and "the ability to plug headphones in without some bullshit adapter."

It costs you $14.17/month extra for the life of the contract to own Tours instead of Centros -- and that's assuming you don't take the time to ask the Sprint rep in the coupons forum to set you up on the $1 Tour plan.

There's a reason people here are giving you the advice they're giving you.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

# Country/Provider: USA, on AT&T

# Current contract status: 2 year contract, 1 year 3 months left

# Budget (phone/plan): $200, maybe a little more?

# Features I know I want: Easy-to-use MP3 player, a camera that's at least as good as the one on my current phone, and GPS and a QWERTY keyboard would be nice.

After I got kicked off my parent's family plan, I went to AT&T with a family plan + data with me and my girlfriend, she got a Sony Ericsson something or other, and I got a Samsung Eternity, based off of various reviews and recommendations. I've since come to hate the drat thing for it's various software bugs, mediocre touchscreen, how much the features are locked down, the hard-to-manage MP3 player, and the fact that I apparently need WinXP to DO anything with it (I run OSX and Win7).

I'm also pretty sure that I don't want a flip phone or a slider. It would also be great if it had software that worked with a Mac without having to bootcamp it. I'm open to such as a Blackberry as long as it doesn't end up tacking more onto my monthly bill.

The media player really is the most important part, because the radio and cd player in my car don't work, while my hacked-up aux-in does, so it's how I listen to anything on my commute or whatever, and having it all on my phone means less crap to carry around.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dur posted:

# Country/Provider: USA, on AT&T

# Current contract status: 2 year contract, 1 year 3 months left

# Budget (phone/plan): $200, maybe a little more?

# Features I know I want: Easy-to-use MP3 player, a camera that's at least as good as the one on my current phone, and GPS and a QWERTY keyboard would be nice.

After I got kicked off my parent's family plan, I went to AT&T with a family plan + data with me and my girlfriend, she got a Sony Ericsson something or other, and I got a Samsung Eternity, based off of various reviews and recommendations. I've since come to hate the drat thing for it's various software bugs, mediocre touchscreen, how much the features are locked down, the hard-to-manage MP3 player, and the fact that I apparently need WinXP to DO anything with it (I run OSX and Win7).

I'm also pretty sure that I don't want a flip phone or a slider. It would also be great if it had software that worked with a Mac without having to bootcamp it. I'm open to such as a Blackberry as long as it doesn't end up tacking more onto my monthly bill.

The media player really is the most important part, because the radio and cd player in my car don't work, while my hacked-up aux-in does, so it's how I listen to anything on my commute or whatever, and having it all on my phone means less crap to carry around.

A 16GB iPhone 3GS sounds to be exactly what you want.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Joe Don Baker posted:

A 16GB iPhone 3GS sounds to be exactly what you want.
Well, yeah, it's exactly what I want, but it would add ~$15 to my monthly bill and the phone itself is twice what I'd like to spend, unless I go with like a refurb 3G 8 gig. :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dur posted:

Well, yeah, it's exactly what I want, but it would add ~$15 to my monthly bill and the phone itself is twice what I'd like to spend, unless I go with like a refurb 3G 8 gig. :(

Oh you're not looking to renew your contract. Never mind then.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I think I like the Treo Pro, but isn't Windows Mobile the result of Satan eating five alarm fire burritos with extra guacamole sauce and then not flushing the toilet?

kalibar posted:

You can pay $2,700 to spend two years with two Palm Centros, or you can pay $3,040 to spend two years with two technologically superior BlackBerry Tours. The Tour also includes such wildly modern features as "the ability to compose text without wanting to kill yourself" (as mentioned by others in this thread) and "the ability to plug headphones in without some bullshit adapter."

It costs you $14.17/month extra for the life of the contract to own Tours instead of Centros -- and that's assuming you don't take the time to ask the Sprint rep in the coupons forum to set you up on the $1 Tour plan.

There's a reason people here are giving you the advice they're giving you.

I don't have search, and CTRL F'ing five pages for Blackberry and Tour yielded no results. Could the destitute get a link for a :krad: deal on $1 Tours? What is the catch though? Do they own me and I will be expected to execute contract killings?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 22, 2009

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Your original zip may be in an affiliate market. If your parents live in a zip where you can order any phone, do that and just have your bill sent to them for a month, then change your address.

Can you port a number when doing this if the number is in the affiliate market?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

I have a Touch Pro, that's why I recommended something else. I'd hate to scare you away from smartphones with Windows Mobile.

Recycled Karma posted:

Can you port a number when doing this if the number is in the affiliate market?

You can port a number from one area code to another. They don't care about the origin of the number, it's legal stuff dealing with who technically owns the network where the bill is mailed. Sprint had other companies help build their network back in the day, and most of them have be reincorporated into Sprint, but a few still remain.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Double Tap posted:

I think I like the Treo Pro, but isn't Windows Mobile the result of Satan eating five alarm fire burritos with extra guacamole sauce and then not flushing the toilet?
I'm sure Android and WebOS are both fantastically better than Windows Mobile, both in the sense of feeling modern and being stable. Baseline Windows Mobile isn't that bad, it just has (out of the box) an interface that feels a bit out of date, and requires the occasional soft reset (once a week?) when totally bat poo poo weird stuff happens like refusing to hang up a call despite pressing end a thousand times and the phone screen going away. It's also really weird that ring tones can be MP3s, MIDIs, but not WAVs, whereas alarms have to be WAVs and not anything else. Also, the built in web browser (Pocket IE) blows.

That said, I've gotten along with Opera Mobile 9.7b1. Plus you can always use Opera Mini, the latest beta of which is supposed to be really darn good. Although beware that Java, which Opera Mini requires, doesn't work out of the box on the Treo Pro. You need a Jbed for that, many versions of which don't work. As a hint, the 20081203.2.1 version from here is the one you want. It works fine with Opera Mini 4 (haven't tried 5 yet). Newer Jbed versions won't work though.

Yeah so, the above doesn't paint Windows Mobile in a good light. I'm not defending it. But it can be made to run acceptably. It does everything I want it to do, decent web browser, decent ssh client (Token2Shell/Mobile), decent IM client (Slick), Minesweeper clone, etc.

From what I gather, half the trouble with Windows Mobile is to be blamed on HTC devices which have lovely stock ROMs, and shell replacements (TouchFLO) that can create more problems than they solve. From everything I've read, the Treo Pro is pretty much the best Windows Mobile device out there, in the sense that the stock ROM is pretty reasonable and it runs without as many of the major issues that other devices run into. I know it's an HTC OEM device, but Palm appears to have done a reasonable QA job on it.

Anyways, I'm getting along with a Treo Pro just fine. I really like the hardware itself, no other device comes quite close to what I want. The Palm Pixi that's coming out is a close second, but the lack of Wifi is a turn-off. I'm motivated to stick with Windows Mobile as I'm on SERO, and there hasn't yet been a WebOS/Android device on Sprint that's appealing enough to me over the Treo Pro to justify a doubling of my monthy bill.

If you're on Sprint (I'm assuming so, since Alltel is the only other carrier with it, and I doubt you're looking at the unlocked GSM version), new in box Sprint Treo Pros were going for $220ish on eBay as recently as last month. I'm not sure if the recent announcement of Palm dumping Windows Mobile has changed things for better or worse, if at all. But picking one up on eBay for $220 is only $20 more than the subsidized+rebate cost of $199 for new accounts. If you already have a Sprint account, it's vastly cheaper than $150 off the $549 it's retailing for, plus you're not in a two year contract that way. If you are opening a new account, then you could get one of these and just go month to month instead of signing a two year contract, but I'm not sure if you could use the new account rebate to get a cheaper phone in the future.

If you do pick one up off eBay, beware that some phones being sold have recalled firmware versions. A firmware upgrade is available here, so that's not a problem. However, Palm refuses to support those phones--serial numbers are blacklisted, it's a long story. If you're really concerned about that though, just get TEP added to it as soon as you activate it. I didn't do that myself, but there was a blurb in my last bill saying I could until such-and-such date.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 22, 2009

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ok, so I've found out McGuire's EPRP work email and employee ID, which I guess is a legit business transaction. I see I can only order a handful of smartphones from the site, which include the latest and greatest. One phone I've never heard of, the HTC Snap. It's designed like a BB as opposed to HTC's usual sliding brick.

Can anyone tell me anything about the HTC Snap?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Double Tap posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about the HTC Snap?
Windows Mobile Standard (not Professional, i.e., no touch screen), 320x240 resolution, no Wifi. The keyboard itself might be a bit better than the Treo Pro. But since the Treo Pro has a touch screen, higher resolution (320x320) and Wifi, it's an all around much better device.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
What he said ^

Windows Mobile Standard is bad news, you'll find plenty of programs that won't run on it.

McGuire is the head of some marketing dept, he posted that on his blog. It's 100% legit.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah so, the above doesn't paint Windows Mobile in a good light. I'm not defending it. But it can be made to run acceptably. It does everything I want it to do, decent web browser, decent ssh client (Token2Shell/Mobile), decent IM client (Slick), Minesweeper clone, etc.
"I'm not defending Windows Mobile, but here's my defense for it."

Maybe this isn't the thread for this stuff, but it needs to be said somewhere. The only three reasons on planet earth to use a Windows Mobile phone right now are (1) if you're trying to hang onto your old SERO plan, (2) if you're required to use some bizarre piece of WinMo-only software for your job, or (3) if you have a Windows Mobile phone already and cannot afford to buy something nicer right now.

I used to remind people who tried to buy that ridiculous Samsung Instinct phone that the Touch Diamond was a better choice in every possible way, but with $30 SERO no longer available and choices like the Pre, Hero, Tour, and Pixi there is just no rational loving reason to put up with the platform anymore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

annoying poo poo

:rolleyes:

No, really, you say it in every thread if you're not taking time to talk about how "evil" CDMA is. Seriously, your poo poo is tired.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ugh, I'm simply torn. I don't know what to get.

At first MY WIFE wanted us to get Blackberrys, but then she fondled an Instinct and how she likes it for a stupid reason. I am trying to convincer her that on the Family EPRP plan we'll get 2 lines with unlimited data and 1600 minutes for $110, so getting only 1 phone that can utilize that is dumb and financially unsound.

I am convinced against WinMo, Palm has tiny keyboards but I can make them work without any trouble, but BB's are kinda big. I'd like to get a Curge 8900 but those aren't available with the EPRP, so should I get a Tour or a Pre?

I used the Pre a bit and the applications seemed to be a bit laggy and sluggish as did the Blackberry. I figured it was because they were Demo phones so chock full of dumb poo poo random jerks put on them. The Tour would be a phone that would most likely thrive on the EPRP plan, it's modern as gently caress and is probably my best bet isn't it?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

:rolleyes:

No, really, you say it in every thread if you're not taking time to talk about how "evil" CDMA is. Seriously, your poo poo is tired.
Plenty of people are plenty critical of Windows Mobile, and with good reason.

kbar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 23, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Double Tap posted:

Ugh, I'm simply torn. I don't know what to get.

At first MY WIFE wanted us to get Blackberrys, but then she fondled an Instinct and how she likes it for a stupid reason. I am trying to convincer her that on the Family EPRP plan we'll get 2 lines with unlimited data and 1600 minutes for $110, so getting only 1 phone that can utilize that is dumb and financially unsound.

I am convinced against WinMo, Palm has tiny keyboards but I can make them work without any trouble, but BB's are kinda big. I'd like to get a Curge 8900 but those aren't available with the EPRP, so should I get a Tour or a Pre?

I used the Pre a bit and the applications seemed to be a bit laggy and sluggish as did the Blackberry. I figured it was because they were Demo phones so chock full of dumb poo poo random jerks put on them. The Tour would be a phone that would most likely thrive on the EPRP plan, it's modern as gently caress and is probably my best bet isn't it?

Your wife can use an Instinct on EPRP if she really wants it if I recall. The Tour would be your best bet. It's currently the best BlackBerry on the market, GSM or CDMA. The Tour is better than the 8900 for me because the keyboard is like the Bold's and I like the Bold keyboard over the 8900. I don't like the Pre because of the awful keyboard especially when compared up against a BlackBerry keyboard. Palm tried to take the best aspect of a BlackBerry, the keyboard, but they failed because they put their "keyboards for baby hands" ideas on it. I'd rather type on a capacitive touchscreen than use the Pre's keyboard. The Pre isn't a bad phone but there are better choices, such as the Tour on Sprint.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

Plenty of people are plenty critical of Windows Mobile, and with good reason.

It's not what you're posting, really, WinMo can be a giant turd. Go read the WinMo thread, plenty of people bag on it, just not with every single post in every single thread. It's entirely the fact that the content of your posts is annoying and tired.

Feel free to complain about it some more when you're back from your vacation.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Nevermind I got it taken care of.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 23, 2009

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
# Country/Provider: Unites States / Don't Care (currently verizon but I just broke my phone)

# Current contract status: Out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Could spend up to $200 for a phone if it were prepaid or the fees were real low ($30/mo). I use about 100 minutes a month and about 10 text messages.

# Features I know I want: Basic cell phone, hopefully fairly durable. I actually liked my razr v3 because it was light enough not to break when I dropped it.
Eventually I want a smartphone but I'm not totally in love with anything yet. If there was a smartphone I could use with prepaid that would be awesome, or anything that supported google maps. I'd like an iphone but it seems like a lot to pay for service when i'm not a big texter.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
So AT&T requires me to get a $30 data plan if I were to get the Fuze. One of the main reasons I didn't want to get an iPhone was because of the extra 30 bucks a month. So basically, I'm forced to get a lovely phone or a nice expensive one, then pay an extra $360 a year?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Storm or Tour, Storm or Tour.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Cornflake posted:

So AT&T requires me to get a $30 data plan if I were to get the Fuze. One of the main reasons I didn't want to get an iPhone was because of the extra 30 bucks a month. So basically, I'm forced to get a lovely phone or a nice expensive one, then pay an extra $360 a year?

If you want the fuze wait another week or so till the touch pro2 comes out. Go with the Iphone if you can deal without the physical keyboard and can't deal with windows mobile. Personally I love my touch pro2 so I'd say wait for it to come out and try it out before you make a decision.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Storm or Tour, Storm or Tour.

The Tour is on Sprint and will cost you a shitload less on an EPRP plan than anything on Verizon. I'm also a whore for a real keyboard.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Is there something horribly wrong with Virgin Mobile (USA)?

* 30/month for 300 minutes
* Dumb phones for $0-$100
* No contract
* Uses Sprint towers

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
So I have T-Mobile right now but my G1 broke last month. I still have the same contract plan and I do miss having gmail and internet on the go.

What I'm looking for is a phone that will double as a music player(one less thing to carry), has wi-fi and 3G. A camera would be nice too but I figure if it has any of the others, it probably has a camera.

I'm a little bit partial to having a full qwerty keypad but if a touchscreen's keyboard is decent, I wouldn't mind too much.

The one thing I didn't like about my g1 was the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack as well as it being kind of... flimsy. The screen was tilted all the time and the touchscreen didn't respond too well after a while.

I've considered the HTC Hero, Nokia N97, Moto CLIQ, and just going back to the G1 for a little bit.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
E: We got it all figured out, no problem. She called VZW, asked them to start up a new 39.99 plan with the second line's number and phone, and put her number on hold. She then called Sprint, and after 5 minutes of trying to explain that she wanted to port a number and battling the script reader on the other end, they set up the port request. Should be done in another hour or so.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 28, 2009

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Well, thanks to circumstances within my family it looks like I'll need to go with the deeply discounted and somewhat dated Palm Centro if I want anything resembling a smartphone.

Oh well, it could be worse right?

EDIT: Ok, it seems I can get a trendy Blackberry in the Curve 8330 persuasion at under $100. It comes down to these two phones: Centro or Curve 8330. Internet forums users, I put the next two years of my phone life into your hands.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 28, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Double Tap posted:

Well, thanks to circumstances within my family it looks like I'll need to go with the deeply discounted and somewhat dated Palm Centro if I want anything resembling a smartphone.

EDIT: Ok, it seems I can get a trendy Blackberry in the Curve 8330 persuasion at under $100. It comes down to these two phones: Centro or Curve 8330. Internet forums users, I put the next two years of my phone life into your hands.

The Curve by miles.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Double Tap posted:

8330 all the way. It's not that great when compared to the Tour which is the latest and greatest, but it's miles ahead of the Centro which comes straight from 2004. Plus the Curve's keyboard doesn't feel like it was meant for midgets.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Double Tap posted:

don't forget, you're going to be spending $1500-$2500 in service over the next two years, spending $100 more on the phone in the beginning is a pretty small difference.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Country/Provider: US/ AT&T

Current contract status: Out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying 85+15 (two lines) for 1400 minutes and 500 SMS

Features I know I want: I don't need many minutes but my mom regularly comes up against the 1400 minute ceiling so I'd need as many or something to mitigate the usage (e.g. sprints any mobile-to-mobile should help reduce that number). I don't know the SMS usage I would need but I would think prepaid amount or an unlimited plan would be necessary for messaging.

Features that would be nice: Data plan of any sort.

If I were only shopping for my mom I could get her on sprint at a decent discount with any mobile-to-mobile and unlimited text and data (59.99) (only 500 minutes, but with any mobile-to-mobile I'm thinking that would still work). The problem is that there is no equivalent 500 minute family plan--it jumps to 1600 minutes and 110 dollars.

Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon-

Current contract status: Out of contract: AMERICA'S CHOICE II 900 ANY UNLIM N&W UNLIM IN CALLING $59.99 0705

Budget (phone/plan): I'm willing to spend money for a good plan and phone, but will probably opt for the shortest contract I can get.

Features I know I want:

I've been trying to wait until Android or iPhone hit Verizon, but my current phone (Samsung SCH-a950) is dying. I'd like to stay with the Verizon network, as ATT is ok, but spotty around where I travel to regularly. I'd like a smart phone, but I am willing to wait a few more months with a used phone.

So, what choices on Verizon for a smart phone don't stink at the moment, and do you think its better holding off a few months for an Android based one? I've lived without a smart phone so far, a few more months won't kill me. Something with Google Voice support would be excellent, but not required.