Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

ixo posted:

Does anyone have any experience with honeymoon registries? I like the idea because we really don't need much in the way of household items, and it seems much better than just asking for cash. I dislike the idea because from what I've seen, the sites out there (like honeymoonwishes.com) pretty much just take in the money, then give it back to you after charging 7-10%.

We're doing a "furniture fund" because we aren't doing a honeymoon right away and we're still living with craigslist college furniture. Since I don't want to give money to some website, I'm putting on my own website a description (with pics of our craptastic furniture) and saying that anyone who wants to contribute can put money in the "furniture fund box" at the actual wedding. I'll probably make a fun box shaped like a couch or something.

It's pretty close to straight up asking for money (I live a thousand miles away from where I'm getting married, so I see no problem with this), which is why people like honeymoon funds through websites where they can contribute to a certain thing (restaurant, attraction etc). But that just doesn't seem practical to me. It'd be like getting a bunch of gift cards that determine where you can go on your own honeymoon. Plus the whole cut the website takes.

We have a registry too, unfortunately, but most of the stuff is set to ship straight to us through Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
[quote="Kiri koli"]
It'd be like getting a bunch of gift cards that determine where you can go on your own honeymoon. Plus the whole cut the website takes.
[quote]

You don't actually have to spend the money on what they signed you up for. In the end you just get one big lump some of money to spend on your honeymoon. The site just breaks it all up into individual things so people feel like they are getting you something specific instead of just tossing cash at you.

The website getting a cut is lame though. That's my big aversion to the idea too.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

ixo posted:

Does anyone have any experience with honeymoon registries? I like the idea because we really don't need much in the way of household items, and it seems much better than just asking for cash. I dislike the idea because from what I've seen, the sites out there (like honeymoonwishes.com) pretty much just take in the money, then give it back to you after charging 7-10%.

We are using honeyfund and it has worked great- much better than asking for cash. They take NO cut and offer a nice way to track and organize everything. Most of our wedding is on a website and so we integrated it nicely.

People "purchase" things which are crossed off and then either can print a voucher with their check or pay through paypal (minus paypal fees).\

Here is our page with link to honeyfund http://www.jakeandsuzannegetmarried.com/?page_id=20

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Studebaker Hawk posted:

We are using honeyfund and it has worked great- much better than asking for cash. They take NO cut and offer a nice way to track and organize everything. Most of our wedding is on a website and so we integrated it nicely.

People "purchase" things which are crossed off and then either can print a voucher with their check or pay through paypal (minus paypal fees).\

Here is our page with link to honeyfund http://www.jakeandsuzannegetmarried.com/?page_id=20

That one looks like it has potential. I think I'd found that one a while ago, and somehow missed it this time looking around. Thanks!

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
So, is it normal to get cold feet just when getting ready to propose? Because it's definitely taken a lot longer to fall asleep lately.

Tomorrow I plan to go with my proposal idea, let me know if something seems glaringly wrong:

(1) We leave tomorrow to go to vacation in Provincetown, MA

(2) Arrive in Provincetown early enough to go down to the beach and relax a bit (the hotel has it's own property)

(3) At some point, go up and go search for shells to collect (I do this every time we go to the beach, it won't draw attention)

(4) While already down on my knees from taking shells out of my pockets, say that I found this neat shell she needs to look at (on it, I've already written "I love you" on it).

(5A) if beach is empty, follow up with 'I also found an even neater shell', that says "will you marry me" on it.
(5B) If beach is crowded, wait until later at night and suggest we go for a walk on the beach. Then, give the second shell.

(6) Give her the ring. I'm unsure if I want to try to hide a jewelry box in my pocket all day, or if I should leave it in the room for after giving the second shell.

(7) Go to a fancy dinner, i'm thinking of "The Red Inn" or "Front Street Restaurant," if you have experience with either please let me know if you think one is more appropriate for a fancy dinner than the other. If 5A fails, it would likely be go to dinner, Then do 5B->6

So, I need your input on what to do with the ring itself! Would you think it's better to leave it in your pocket waiting for the opportunity to present itself, or, leave it hidden in a bag and give it once in the room?

Just in case someone suggests I alter it to make one of these following scenarios I will just cut them now:
Giving the ring at dinner is out, she has made it clear she isn't a fan of that when we learned about my sister being proposed to that way. And, I get the impression from when we have talked about this kind of stuff that she wouldn't be thrilled with me just doing it when in the hotel room (say, if 5A fails and I have to go into damage control)

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses
I really like your proposal idea, but just out of curiosity, why are you going to give her the "I love you" shell first? Sure, it's a sweet idea, but why not just skip that one and have the real surprise of you "finding" a shell with writing on it be the one your actually proposing with?
I only suggest this because you guys might have a much more relaxing time at dinner and during the rest of the evening if you aren't sweating about still having to propose.
Also, just put the ring in your pocket!

Helvetica Neue
Sep 1, 2004

Are there brides who don't have bridesmaids in their wedding? I don't have any close female friends where I live currently. Two potential bridesmaids are over 1500 miles away and I'm only in contact with either of them about once every three months.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
The I love you shell was just to be a lead-on so it's not like we are on a beach and bam proposal out of nowhere. I'm amendable to change if others feel it's better to just go straight to the will you marry me shell.

And by the ring in your pocket, are you meaning ring in box, or just the ring itself? You got me thinking, maybe I will sew it loosely into my pocket so it can't just fall out, but I can easily rip the thread to get it out when the time comes...

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Helvetica Neue posted:

Are there brides who don't have bridesmaids in their wedding? I don't have any close female friends where I live currently. Two potential bridesmaids are over 1500 miles away and I'm only in contact with either of them about once every three months.

Yo. No bridesmaids, no groomsmen. It might have been fun, but due to untimely drama and a lot of our friends who we would use living too far away, we dropped it. My best friend is a guy anyway. I've dubbed him as my official MOH. :xd:

e: BY THE WAY, my wedding is exactly 30 days away as of today. SO excited. Though I just found out our officiant is in jail through tragic circumstances, so we're going to have to wrestle up another.

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses

Hawkeye posted:

The I love you shell was just to be a lead-on so it's not like we are on a beach and bam proposal out of nowhere. I'm amendable to change if others feel it's better to just go straight to the will you marry me shell.

And by the ring in your pocket, are you meaning ring in box, or just the ring itself? You got me thinking, maybe I will sew it loosely into my pocket so it can't just fall out, but I can easily rip the thread to get it out when the time comes...

If it were me, I would go straight to the "marry me" shell so that you don't have to spend the whole day being nervous if you end up having to wait to propose at night; instead you can celebrate!
I say just put the ring in your pocket, as long as you don't wear huge baggy pants or plan on doing backflips, it won't go anywhere. Check for holes first, though! Also~ GOOD LUCK :)

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

maso posted:

e: BY THE WAY, my wedding is exactly 30 days away as of today. SO excited. Though I just found out our officiant is in jail through tragic circumstances, so we're going to have to wrestle up another.

Well that definitely can throw a wrench in plans yikes

Best of luck!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Hawkeye posted:

The I love you shell was just to be a lead-on so it's not like we are on a beach and bam proposal out of nowhere.

I kinda like the bam proposal. It's a surprise, but if you have a shell saying I love you first, she might become suspicious. I know I'd be like wtf?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Farewell Horizon posted:

I kinda like the bam proposal. It's a surprise, but if you have a shell saying I love you first, she might become suspicious. I know I'd be like wtf?

This exactly. Make it come out of nowhere.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Well the people have spoken, I will just go straight with the 'marry me' shell thanks!

It's actually easier too, less things to have sitting in my pockets.

I made reservations for later that night at what appears by Zagat reviews to be a nice place. Should be fun!
http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=96419

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Um what?? Were you having a friend marry you or was this an actual officiant?

By the way, my wedding is in 9 days. And I cannot wait for it all to be over so we can get our asses to the Caribbean.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Um what?? Were you having a friend marry you or was this an actual officiant?

By the way, my wedding is in 9 days. And I cannot wait for it all to be over so we can get our asses to the Caribbean.

He's our friend who's registered through the Ministry of Life Church or whatever it is, the one that takes 72 hours online or whatever. It's not a good situation. But we'll find someone else.

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
So excited! I got my dress last week! AHH! One of my BMs and I were out shopping for a planner, and there happens to be a David's in the same shopping center as the store we were planning on visiting. I suggested a reconnaissance mission, and like four hours later, I walked out of the store with a wedding dress, and all the underthings. Woo hoo!

Now I just have to not gain any weight for the next 388 days. Lose, fine, because it can be taken in a bit. But gain? No way.

I'd post a pic but he's a goon too. Darn.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
I was hoping that I could get some help from you guys. I have nothing figured out for the honeymoon, and the wedding is in December. We can get airline tickets to continental United States (we are Canadian) and was wondering if there are any recommended spots in maybe California, Florida, Texas...somewhere with a beach. Assuming I can find something in my price range for going to the Caribean, any recomendations or warnings? Thanks

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
What's your price range? Cruises in the Caribbean are pretty cheap (for cruises), so tickets to Florida would be your big thing. I lived in St. Croix for seven years so I can give you advice for there, but I'm no use for anywhere else. :shobon:

UtilityPole
Sep 15, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
A question for those with a lot of ring-buying/diamond experience:

I bought an engagement ring at a small store about 2 months back. Got them down to a good price, got a decent stone, and as a matter of policy they offer one free appraisal + re-sizing + band exchange to people who buy their rings.

I popped the question, she said yes, but the ring's a tad big for her finger. Took the ring into to have it re-sized and take advantage of the complimentary appraisal. I showed her the receipt, left the ring with the person who sold it to me to get re-sized and appraised, she gave me a stub indicating the work to be done, and they told me to come back in a week.

The issue: Today they called me asking if I could come back in and give them the receipt for the ring purchase. They said that they need it so they "can appraise the ring properly".

It all sounds really suspicious to me. Why the hell would they need to see the receipt, ie. how much I spent on it, its size in carats etc. for an appraisal? Why should it matter? I thought that an appraisal just meant examining the stone and establishing its official value based on the 4 C's plus the band? Why the gently caress would they need to see a receipt- so they can inflate its value to make me feel like I got a "valuable" stone?

I'm really worried about this. Any thoughts?

UtilityPole fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 18, 2009

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

UtilityPole posted:

A question for those with a lot of ring-buying/diamond experience:

I bought an engagement ring at a small store about 2 months back. Got them down to a good price, got a decent stone, and as a matter of policy they offer one free appraisal + re-sizing + band exchange to people who buy their rings.

I popped the question, she said yes, but the ring's a tad big for her finger. Took the ring into to have it re-sized and take advantage of the complimentary appraisal. I left the ring with the person who sold it to me, and they told me to come back in a week.

My issue: Today they called me asking if I could come back in and give them the receipt for the ring purchase. They said that they need it so they "can appraise the ring properly".

It all sounds really suspicious to me. Why the hell would they need to see the receipt, ie. how much I spent on it, its size in carats etc. for an appraisal? I thought that an appraisal just meant examining the stone and establishing its official value? Why the gently caress would they need to see a receipt- so they can inflate its value to make me feel like I got a "valuable" stone?

I would in your position just decide against the appraisal if you worry about their ability to be impartial, and you can use pricescope to find an independent appraiser who can appraise it and put your mind at ease to it's true value. I spend ~$100 to get my diamond appraised and mailed back to me, and it definitely made my mind at ease when I know they have no reason to lie since they don't benefit from the outcome.

I picked a person from the pricescope independant appraiser list, called her directly to set it up since I was having the stone sent directly to her from the vendor, etc. I was pretty happy using an independent appraiser is what this is getting at.
http://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

And no worries, they can appraise gemstones inside rings just fine and give you a appraisal on both items together. If you have a certification for the gem bring that though so they can use that as a guide if needed

Edits: They should not need a receipt to do an appraisal, if they are doing a real appraisal instead of just going off the measurements on the items by the receipt. It sounds to me like it could be a mix of (1) they want to make sure your 'good deal' was not the same as fair market value or less deviantly, (2) they don't want to do a full appraisal but instead want to do it by just using the measurements of everything by looking up the receipts.

Hawkeye fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 18, 2009

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

UtilityPole posted:

The issue: Today they called me asking if I could come back in and give them the receipt for the ring purchase. They said that they need it so they "can appraise the ring properly".

It all sounds really suspicious to me. Why the hell would they need to see the receipt, ie. how much I spent on it, its size in carats etc. for an appraisal? Why should it matter? I thought that an appraisal just meant examining the stone and establishing its official value based on the 4 C's plus the band? Why the gently caress would they need to see a receipt- so they can inflate its value to make me feel like I got a "valuable" stone?

Actually, I was told that they will tend to inflate the value, not to make you feell better, but for insurance purposes. I can't remember where I heard this though, unfortunately. My ring was appraised for more than it cost. I don't know if they looked at the sell price when they appraised it, but if you bought it from them, shouldn't they already have that information?

UtilityPole
Sep 15, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Kiri koli posted:

Actually, I was told that they will tend to inflate the value, not to make you feell better, but for insurance purposes. I can't remember where I heard this though, unfortunately. My ring was appraised for more than it cost.

I've heard the same thing, but what a shady practice that'd be if it were true.

quote:

I don't know if they looked at the sell price when they appraised it, but if you bought it from them, shouldn't they already have that information?

That's what raised the red flag. They just keep saying that they need it "to do a proper appraisal".

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

UtilityPole posted:

I've heard the same thing, but what a shady practice that'd be if it were true.

That's what raised the red flag. They just keep saying that they need it "to do a proper appraisal".

My first thought on reading your post was that they lost your paperwork, and regardless of what else they're doing with your appraisal, I think someone's trying to cover their rear end for losing your stuff by asking for your receipt. All of that paperwork should be on record both in your receipt and in the business' own files.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Hawkeye posted:

I made reservations for later that night at what appears by Zagat reviews to be a nice place. Should be fun!
http://www.zagat.com/Verticals/PropertyDetails.aspx?VID=8&R=96419

This place is romantical as gently caress and you guys should really enjoy it. The food is great and the wine list is even greater. Good luck!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

UtilityPole posted:

To me it sounds like they lost the paperwork and they're trying to make sure the appraisal matches the sales receipt.

Diamond grading can often be a series of judgment calls. As example: Is the diamond an "E" or an "F" color? Without some very expensive equipment it can be difficult to get the color grade correct every time.

The same goes for Clarity grading. If there's a singular 1mm black inclusion at the 3 o'clock place who is to say if its an SI2, SI1, or a VS2.

It sounds like a classic situation of someone trying to cover a mistake. I doubt they are trying to be dishonest.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Trying to come up with our wedding monogram/logo thingy for stickers and invitations and what not, but haven't done any graphic design stuff since college. Does this look all right to everyone, or should I keep working? I'm thinking of adding another circle around the outside that I can put our full names,last name, wedding date and location in, but would likely not use that for everything.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

edit: removed link

thebehaviorist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 1, 2012

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Kitten Kisses posted:

Trying to come up with our wedding monogram/logo thingy for stickers and invitations and what not, but haven't done any graphic design stuff since college. Does this look all right to everyone, or should I keep working? I'm thinking of adding another circle around the outside that I can put our full names,last name, wedding date and location in, but would likely not use that for everything.

My fiance and I love that!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

special girl posted:

It's basically just a twisted band. Anyway, are these commonly used as wedding rings? I had never seen one until today.

It's pretty and if you want to buy it go ahead. I've never heard of a mobius band, nor have I ever seen one.

To me, however, that price is too high. That ring is incredibly simple to make. Maybe the alloy of palladium brings the cost up? I usually just use old school sterling silver.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I didn't even notice how expensive it was! i'll keep my eye for cheaper ones. definitely would not spend that much on such a simple ring.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

special girl posted:

I didn't even notice how expensive it was! i'll keep my eye for cheaper ones. definitely would not spend that much on such a simple ring.

Maybe try taking a picture of it to a few local jewelers and see if you can get a custom ring made out of cheaper material. Or even post in the etsy alchemy section to see if one of the other jewelers there can make a cheaper version.

maso posted:

My fiance and I love that!

Yay! Well at least I'm not totally off mark then. :D

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

special girl posted:

I'm probably never going to get engaged because my boyfriend thinks marriage is dumb and unnecessary...

Sounds like a loser. Dump him.

special girl posted:

Mobius Ring

That is a fantastic ring design and $220 isn't a bad price for something handmade by the artist. I might even see if he wants to sell me a few in 18 karat gold for my webstore.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Here's an update for you guys! A few weeks back I walked into a random jewelry place in a small historic town nearby and said to the lady behind the counter "This is probably going to sound weird, but I like oak leaves and would like an oak leaf engagement ring. Do you do custom jewelry?" The lady looked surprised for a second and replied "Oh yes! We have oak leaf bands!"

Seriously, what are the chances? They had exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the lady who designed the oak leaf jewelry just died 2 weeks ago of cancer. :( The ring I want is the last one of hers with oak leaves, and it has to be modified to include a stone since it's just a band. Ring is on hold, though, and my boyfriend can take this poo poo over from here because I'm tired of doing his work for him. He seemed slightly irritated that I was ruining the surprise but he's been a big fat pussy about this whole thing and didn't seem like he was even going to go investigate the place when I told him about it weeks ago (he probably was, but he's really good at giving off the "I'm not really worried about it" vibe) so he seemed like he needed a kick in the rear end. That ring would have been gone had I not forced him to go into the shop while we happened to be in town today. He said he still had a good idea for the whole proposal thing in mind though, so whatever.

I am excited as hell. :neckbeard:

UtilityPole
Sep 15, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Holy poo poo. The worst thing just loving happened, today.

As I mentioned a bit earlier, my fiancee and I recently became engaged. To cut a long story short, she said yes, and my dad invited her parents to join us for dinner. We would entertain. My fiancee couldn't make it at first, but adjusted her work schedule so she could be there. The fiancee would bring her parents, and my mom + dad would invite their immediate families. It was a potluck lunch between the three families.

My mom's family was there on time, and so was my fiancee's. My dad's side of the family (the side who would be bringing the entrees- they insisted on it) were not 1, not 2, not 3, but over 4 hours late.

It was about 4:30PM (funny, we were supposed to be eating at 12:00). My fiancee had to leave for work and her obviously unimpressed family couldn't wait any longer. We were heading out, then my dad's side of the family pulls into the driveway. They make their way towards the house- hooting and hollering (yeah those Caribbean folk are like that) no apologies for being late, and just walk right past her family and I.

My fiancee's family leaves, and they're mumbling to each other in Cantonese (I know what they were saying- all I'll say is they weren't happy. At all). And as of the time of writing, my dad's side of the family is in the dining room, all hooting and hollering as they did on the way in, as if nothing's loving wrong with showing up nearly 5 hours late to meet what will become their new family.

They don't seem to give a poo poo about the fact that this is my fiancee's family's first impression of ours, or that my mother's side wasn't too impressed either, or that my fiancee went through the trouble of re-arranging her work schedule on one of the busiest restaurant weekends of the season (Rosh Hashanah- we live in a predominantly-Jewish neighbourhood).

The whole thing's just so humiliating. Any ideas as to damage control? All I've been able to do is apologize profusely to her parents, and every time I do they just say, "It's okay"- but I can just hear the annoyance in their voice (and if anyone's knows traditional Chinese folks- they never, ever forget things like this).

gently caress.

UtilityPole fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 21, 2009

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
This last friday, on advice of the folks here I went with the only one-shell proposal idea and it went well! The restaurant was also very nice, as demozthenes said. Thanks for all the help in the thread so far folks, it has really helped to get things to the finished stage. We had a wonderful vacation and soon we get to start moving on to the wedding planning!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
:hfive:

AWESOME! I am so glad your creative proposal went so well! As a woman who was proposed to in a less-than-traditional way, I can say that your fiancee is a lucky woman who has an awesome story to tell when anyone asks her about the engagement. My husband got so many compliments from my girlfriends on his originality!

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Yay! So glad to hear your proposal went well! I can't remember if I ever replied to any of your questions about it before but I remember thinking it was a really sweet and creative idea. Congratulations on your engagement :D

jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
I'm sure this has been asked in the pages previously but I'm trying to do Do-It-Yourself wedding programs but am wondering how to go about it. Honestly I don't care too much about the programs but all we've got is a little generic color printer. Any suggested online templates? Where could I get the paper...just a Kinko's or something? I'm just afraid I'll gently caress these up and then have to have a professional do it for a lot more.

I just want a slim program that opens up, gives the steps of the service and the names of the wedding party with a line of poetry on the very front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jcschick posted:

I'm sure this has been asked in the pages previously but I'm trying to do Do-It-Yourself wedding programs but am wondering how to go about it. Honestly I don't care too much about the programs but all we've got is a little generic color printer. Any suggested online templates? Where could I get the paper...just a Kinko's or something? I'm just afraid I'll gently caress these up and then have to have a professional do it for a lot more.

I just want a slim program that opens up, gives the steps of the service and the names of the wedding party with a line of poetry on the very front.

I just bought 65lb cardstock from Staples & printed them out at home. I can e-mail you what I came up with if you need ideas. I didn't do any cutting, just printed on both sides of the cardstock & then folded it in half.