Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?

GoreJess posted:

I just bought 65lb cardstock from Staples & printed them out at home. I can e-mail you what I came up with if you need ideas. I didn't do any cutting, just printed on both sides of the cardstock & then folded it in half.

Yeh if you don't mind, just PM me. THANK YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

jcschick posted:

I'm sure this has been asked in the pages previously but I'm trying to do Do-It-Yourself wedding programs but am wondering how to go about it. Honestly I don't care too much about the programs but all we've got is a little generic color printer. Any suggested online templates? Where could I get the paper...just a Kinko's or something? I'm just afraid I'll gently caress these up and then have to have a professional do it for a lot more.

I just want a slim program that opens up, gives the steps of the service and the names of the wedding party with a line of poetry on the very front.

We made our programs. They turned out pretty awesomely, and were definitely original. Rather than printing them at home, we had Office Max print and cut the linen paper and card stock for us. It was really inexpensive, and we were able to assemble them ourselves. That was wonderful, since they have better printers than we do. Here's how they turned out:

My husband made a template so that the ivory linen paper pieces could all be cut from one sheet of paper, and then we had the card stock cut to 1/4" larger than the largest piece of linen paper. All in all, for linen paper, card stock, printing, two mini hole punchers and a zillion gemstone brads, we spent under $100. I can give you the template if you're interested in it; just PM me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Fire In The Disco posted:

We made our programs. They turned out pretty awesomely, and were definitely original. Rather than printing them at home, we had Office Max print and cut the linen paper and card stock for us. It was really inexpensive, and we were able to assemble them ourselves. That was wonderful, since they have better printers than we do. Here's how they turned out:

My husband made a template so that the ivory linen paper pieces could all be cut from one sheet of paper, and then we had the card stock cut to 1/4" larger than the largest piece of linen paper. All in all, for linen paper, card stock, printing, two mini hole punchers and a zillion gemstone brads, we spent under $100. I can give you the template if you're interested in it; just PM me.

I initially wanted to do something just like that, but the wedding is in 4 days so we took the easiest route possible. They look really good by the way. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

I'm getting an engagement ring custom made for my girlfriend similar to this, but in yellow gold;

Whitey Ford posted:

This was just delivered to me about an hour ago.

Now it's up to me to propose. Wish me luck!
Here's her ring (wish I was a better photographer);

And she said yes :)

I proposed while diving in Fiji. Waited until she was distracted taking a photo of some coral and got down on one knee on the sandy ocean floor 60ft under water, waited for her to finish and look at me.

I had a rubber O ring in my pocket that is used to seal a scuba tank valve and I put it on her index finger. She looked at it, looked at me, looked back at her finger, looked at me.. then gave me the 'ok' signal and then clumsily tried to kiss me underwater.

The local dive guide went crazy doing flips underwater and clapping.

I gave her the ring when we got back to the hotel.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Whitey Ford posted:

Here's a great tutorial on taking great ring pictures.
http://www.weddingbeepro.com/2008/12/08/how-to-take-amazing-engagement-and-wedding-ring-photos/

The ring is beautiful by the way :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Whitey Ford posted:

I proposed while diving in Fiji. Waited until she was distracted taking a photo of some coral and got down on one knee on the sandy ocean floor 60ft under water, waited for her to finish and look at me.

I had a rubber O ring in my pocket that is used to seal a scuba tank valve and I put it on her index finger. She looked at it, looked at me, looked back at her finger, looked at me.. then gave me the 'ok' signal and then clumsily tried to kiss me underwater.

This is adorable to picture :3: Congratulations!

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Whitey Ford posted:

And she said yes :)

The ring is nice, even if I don't like yellow gold much, and your story made me giggle. How adorable! :3:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

jcschick posted:

I'm sure this has been asked in the pages previously but I'm trying to do Do-It-Yourself wedding programs but am wondering how to go about it. Honestly I don't care too much about the programs but all we've got is a little generic color printer. Any suggested online templates? Where could I get the paper...just a Kinko's or something? I'm just afraid I'll gently caress these up and then have to have a professional do it for a lot more.

I just want a slim program that opens up, gives the steps of the service and the names of the wedding party with a line of poetry on the very front.

I know you got a lot of great suggestions already, but for anyone else looking to have things printed instead of trying to do it at home, look around for a local print shop. We have a privately owned one just down the street from our house. When I was doing the invitations for my sister-in-law's wedding shower I bought the invitations from Target (for ~$35) and the print shop printed ALL 50 of the invitations AND 50 response cards in color for another $30. It was totally worth it and they did a great job. It looked way more professional than some of the things I've seen from Kinko's. And it was a little cheaper than anyone else quoted me and nice to work with people who cared about what they were doing and what you wanted.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

I have a problem, sort of. Not sure if this is the right thread, but I will give it a go.

After 11 years of being together (7 of which living together) my boyfriend proposed and I said yes. We were never the marrying types and no one thought we would ever do it, so needless to say, my Italian-Catholic parents ware over the moon when we told them.

We live in the UK, my parents live in the US. I am not the big, girly wedding type and my boyfriend is the 'no wedding' type so we just want something small, but awesome. So we have chosen to get married in Thailand. The price is right and we've always wanted to travel there, so why not?

My mom has thrown a fit. She cried and said how much I "have hurt her". She said they are not able to come. I cannot even speak to her in a rational way about it, because no matter what I say, I am doing something horrible to her.

My sister died last year and ever since then, my parents have but an enormous pressure on me to be everything to them. But they know I'm not the big wedding type, they know I'm very independent, so it should be no surprise to them that I don't want some huge affair so that they can invite all their friends to show off. In fact, it was never in the cards that I'd marry at all.

My dad keeps telling me that my mom is very fragile and I should show consideration. Because it's "bad enough that I live 3500 miles away". So basically, I've been made to feel like I've done something horrible to them. It's totally overshadowed my happy engagement.

I love my parents and I do get along with them, but sometimes they can be so irrational.

So the question is, should I give in and come to a compromise? I really don't want to, but I have a horrible Catholic child guilt complex and I don't want to hurt my parents if I am truly in the wrong.

BTW, we're paying for everything. They only thing they'd have to pay for is their plane tickets, which is a mere fraction of the cost they'd be spending on their ideal wedding if we had it in the USA. And my parents are in no way hurting for money.

Thanks for your advice.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

zoecore posted:

:catholic:

Is the item of contention that it's not going to be a Catholic wedding with the distance being her excuse for getting upset? Perhaps that's playing a role. I'm dealing with a somewhat parallel situation myself, so maybe your mother and mine have the same Catholic mom issues.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

zoecore posted:

So the question is, should I give in and come to a compromise? I really don't want to, but I have a horrible Catholic child guilt complex and I don't want to hurt my parents if I am truly in the wrong.

Is there any reason you can't get married (maybe at a courthouse?) in the country so your family can come, and then honeymoon in Thailand? Or if it's the Catholic thing that matters, have a really small ceremony with just immediate family instead. Maybe they just want to be there, even if it's not a big deal to you. And asking people to go to Thailand feels like a big step because it's far and foreign and they may not be into that- money may not even come into it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

zoecore posted:

"my mother is fragile"

That's insane. It's your wedding. Call her and tell her you're calling it off entirely because she's such a bitch about it. I reiterate, IT'S YOUR WEDDING. You are the one who is paying for it, you're the one who is going to live with it being (hopefully) your only wedding ever, it is your decision. If they can't deal with it, they aren't welcome, because NOTHING will be good enough. Compromise in one place and they'll expect compromise in a hundred places.

Honestly, that sounds like a pile of manipulative bullshit front to back. I watched a dear friend go through something like this, and it went from "I want a small wedding in a very specific, very meaningful church, 100 people max" to "okay Mom I guess we can include my third cousin twice removed, 200 people max though" to "What do you mean we have to have the wedding somewhere else?" She was miserable the whole time and ended up hating "the best day of her life," and she paid out the rear end for it to boot.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

That's insane. It's your wedding. Call her and tell her you're calling it off entirely because she's such a bitch about it. I reiterate, IT'S YOUR WEDDING. You are the one who is paying for it, you're the one who is going to live with it being (hopefully) your only wedding ever, it is your decision. If they can't deal with it, they aren't welcome, because NOTHING will be good enough. Compromise in one place and they'll expect compromise in a hundred places.

Honestly, that sounds like a pile of manipulative bullshit front to back. I watched a dear friend go through something like this, and it went from "I want a small wedding in a very specific, very meaningful church, 100 people max" to "okay Mom I guess we can include my third cousin twice removed, 200 people max though" to "What do you mean we have to have the wedding somewhere else?" She was miserable the whole time and ended up hating "the best day of her life," and she paid out the rear end for it to boot.

Holy poo poo, you hate your own family dont you? Because it sounds like that.

Their other daughter died a year ago, that in terms of time and grieving is a really short time, and chances are this is the only time they will have their other daughter, who lives already drat far away, marry. It's so drat understandable that they would be upset that they wont get to see her marry.

I dunno, zoecore, it seems like a such a small compromise. Your mom most likely IS still fragile. You lost your sister, she lost her daughter.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

zoecore posted:

I have a problem, sort of. Not sure if this is the right thread, but I will give it a go.

After 11 years of being together (7 of which living together) my boyfriend proposed and I said yes. We were never the marrying types and no one thought we would ever do it, so needless to say, my Italian-Catholic parents ware over the moon when we told them.

We live in the UK, my parents live in the US. I am not the big, girly wedding type and my boyfriend is the 'no wedding' type so we just want something small, but awesome. So we have chosen to get married in Thailand. The price is right and we've always wanted to travel there, so why not?

My mom has thrown a fit. She cried and said how much I "have hurt her". She said they are not able to come. I cannot even speak to her in a rational way about it, because no matter what I say, I am doing something horrible to her.

My sister died last year and ever since then, my parents have but an enormous pressure on me to be everything to them. But they know I'm not the big wedding type, they know I'm very independent, so it should be no surprise to them that I don't want some huge affair so that they can invite all their friends to show off. In fact, it was never in the cards that I'd marry at all.

My dad keeps telling me that my mom is very fragile and I should show consideration. Because it's "bad enough that I live 3500 miles away". So basically, I've been made to feel like I've done something horrible to them. It's totally overshadowed my happy engagement.

I love my parents and I do get along with them, but sometimes they can be so irrational.

BTW, we're paying for everything. They only thing they'd have to pay for is their plane tickets, which is a mere fraction of the cost they'd be spending on their ideal wedding if we had it in the USA. And my parents are in no way hurting for money.

Thanks for your advice.

What about a reception down the line? Maybe a couple of months later, giving your mom something to plan and to invite her friends to. That way the wedding pressure is off, you two will have had your private ceremony in Thailand like you want, but your parents can also have the big affair they want.

PotetoFurai
Jul 25, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

What about a reception down the line? Maybe a couple of months later, giving your mom something to plan and to invite her friends to. That way the wedding pressure is off, you two will have had your private ceremony in Thailand like you want, but your parents can also have the big affair they want.

This is what my fiancee and I just did. We wanted a very small wedding and my (Catholic) mother wanted a giant wedding. We live in Chicago and my mom lives in Minnesota. We had a 10 person wedding a few blocks from our apartment at a very beautiful japanese garden last Saturday. We're having a marriage blessing ceremony and party next May at a winery in Minnesota that will be larger. I'm pretty happy with this compromise. Our wedding was beautiful and exactly what we wanted, but we still get to party with all our friends and make my mom happy.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

exactduckwoman posted:

Is there any reason you can't get married (maybe at a courthouse?) in the country so your family can come, and then honeymoon in Thailand? Or if it's the Catholic thing that matters, have a really small ceremony with just immediate family instead. Maybe they just want to be there, even if it's not a big deal to you. And asking people to go to Thailand feels like a big step because it's far and foreign and they may not be into that- money may not even come into it.

First of all, thanks for all the advice / suggestions, everyone. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much.

It's not a Catholic wedding thing. I am not religious at all. And, as I wasn't confirmed, my mom thinks it's sacrilegious to participate in any of the Catholic ceremony. (They were the ones who told me that I didn't have to participate in Catholic side of my sister's funeral - I didn't even suggest such a thing at a time like that.) So my parents are okay with that. The same can't be said for my crazy big Italian family, but they're not the ones I have to please.

It's not the money, because my parents have a decent amount of it and they travel all the time. Albeit, not to the far east, but they rented a house on the French Riviera last summer, so I don't think it's an issue.

The problem is that I can't get to the bottom of the problem, because my mom will not speak to me rationally. In fact, she's not called me all week and she usually Skypes me every day.

The compromise... I cannot get married back in the US, as that will add another $2000 onto my costs alone (plane fare, etc). And I know if I were near their friends it would get out of hand. My sister had 150 people at her wedding, 110 of which she did not know. My mom was unpleasant during that time and I can't deal with that.

They're coming here to help with our new house over Easter holidays. We could get married at the registrar's office then. In my mind it would make the Thai wedding in August seem less special if we're already married. I'm not happy about this prospect, but I'll do it if need be.

Also, my boyfriend's (fiancee is still weird to say) parents said they'd come to Thailand. So we'll have a bunch of one-sided family photos. Also sad.

My dad keeps telling me to make the first move and call my mom. My dad means well, but again, he is implying that I have done something very wrong and should go to her and apologise.

I should have kept the whole thing a secret and eloped. I feel like Gob Bluth... "I've made a HUGE mistake."

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
Wow, there are a lot of surface similarities between your situation and mine. I think that contacting your mother would be a good idea. Not that you need to go apologizing or anything like that, but to ask her directly what she wants from this. Once you know the answer, you can assess the situation more accurately. Hopefully it's not some irrational issue (or at least one that can't be reigned in with a healthy dose of reason from your side of things and perhaps the Easter plan), but based on your description of your mother's behavior with your sister, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

zoecore posted:

And, as I wasn't confirmed, my mom thinks it's sacrilegious to participate in any of the Catholic ceremony.
I just had to say this is pretty funny, when you only need to be baptized to get married in a Catholic church.

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008

zoecore posted:

I should have kept the whole thing a secret and eloped. I feel like Gob Bluth... "I've made a HUGE mistake."

Having read all that, I have to agree with Nicol Bolas. It doesn't sound like you'll get the wedding you want if you go to the US. It seems as if your mother is acting more out of a need to control than in response to your sibling's death, since she was acting like this before she passed. It's a horrible situation but if you want Singapore you should have it, and explain to your parents that you can't provide everything for them- you are their child and they should be able to support you in what you want and not place their irritational desires above yours. They sound as if they can afford to go to Singapore, so it's not as if they HAVE to miss the wedding, just that they'd choose to if they can't have it how/where they want.

Btw you are not in the wrong at all. It seems as if you'll be wasting thousands of dollars and a large amount of happiness in a futile attempt to please someone who in all likelihood will be dissatisfied anyway. You should go with what YOU want and not have your sister's death used to coerce you into going to a place where you don't want to be. On your wedding day. Which you're paying for.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Holy poo poo, you hate your own family dont you? Because it sounds like that.

Their other daughter died a year ago, that in terms of time and grieving is a really short time, and chances are this is the only time they will have their other daughter, who lives already drat far away, marry. It's so drat understandable that they would be upset that they wont get to see her marry.

I dunno, zoecore, it seems like a such a small compromise. Your mom most likely IS still fragile. You lost your sister, she lost her daughter.

I don't hate my family, I had to sit there and fume while my friend just caved and caved and caved over and over to her horrible controlling harridan mother who wanted the wedding she never got to have because HER mother was a horrible controlling harridan. Etc, etc. I had to sit by and let her cry on my shoulder DURING THE RECEPTION because she was so unhappy. She wanted a small, meaningful, not-excessively-religious ceremony in a church that has deep personal meaning to her by someone both she & her husband cared about deeply. Instead she wore a designer dress in to her huge wedding at a church her mother picked out because "that other church doesn't keep their lawn nice" and were married by some priest who forgot half the loving ceremony. Why yes, I am jaded by this experience.

Zoecore, there's no reason, based on that post, why they couldn't come to Thailand and let you have the wedding you want, and just be happy that YOU is happy. And last but not least, it's incredibly disrespectful for them to use your sister's death as a means of control. Do NOT apologize for this. You are doing absolutely NOTHING wrong. If nothing else works, offer to have a reception or something near them, like others are suggesting. That way your mom can parade you around to all her friends and you can have the wedding you actually want.

tl;dr I am all sorts of biased and bitter, but unless there's a big detail I'm missing or some information that hasn't been communicated, zoecore, you should ignore your mom's attempts to control you.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 25, 2009

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I decided to get my dead a piece of a Nascar from a race he went to, of his favorite driver. 2 weeks later the part arrives...so I check the I got it from and and match up my part to one that I ordered and it's not even close....stickers in the wrong place, cut in different spots....looks like he sent me the wrong part. I found the one he sent me on his site under "Unraced"

I call the place, tell him I'm pretty pissed off because my wedding is a week away and there's no way he can get me a new one before that, the guy says "Well, too bad" and hangs up the phone.

:suicide:

So I call his wife who was more helpful in finding me the tracking number last week and I think she's in the process of giving him poo poo.

Don't order poo poo from racingmetal.com if you ever think to.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

Me and my girlfriend just got back from eloping to Las Vegas. Zero stress, and the whole ceremony (including rings, which we got at the hotel gift shop) cost us $250. We went to Disneyland a few days later for our honeymoon, and paraded around in a top hat with Mickey ears and a veil with Minnie ears. We had the time of our lives, plus all the added fun of coming home and telling our folks. We're planning on getting nicer rings for each other once we have more money.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Don't order poo poo from racingmetal.com if you ever think to.
If my father ran a website, it would be exactly the same as this :pwn:

But for racing motorbikes, not NASCAR.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
3 days away :cool:

I'm more nervous about getting mugged in Italy than I am the actual wedding.

Oh and the part turned out to be from the right car, mislabelled on the guys site, I think it turned out pretty cool, if not odd for a wedding gift:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Would it be totally selfish of me to go to city hall and then just have a small reception? We're tight on money after just buying a house, plus I'm REALLY not big on being the center of attention. I guess I just feel bad that I'd be inviting people to a party and not inviting them into the actual ceremony. People like a party more anyways, right?

Also, since I won't be going to traditional route, how would I word this on the invitations? Would I just send them out asking folks to come to our reception?

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Would it be totally selfish of me to go to city hall and then just have a small reception? We're tight on money after just buying a house, plus I'm REALLY not big on being the center of attention. I guess I just feel bad that I'd be inviting people to a party and not inviting them into the actual ceremony. People like a party more anyways, right?

Also, since I won't be going to traditional route, how would I word this on the invitations? Would I just send them out asking folks to come to our reception?

My in laws didn't care that we just had a reception and a private ceremony. We just sent out invitations that said we would be wed in a private ceremony on such and such date and we would be honored if they would join us at the reception on this other date. I think I got the wording off of some etiquette website I found on google. Plenty of people have private ceremonies and invite a bunch of people to a party a couple weeks afterwards or have a reception at home after being married abroad.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

We're just having a reception. The folks were kinda pissed at first that they never got to see the wedding, but they got over pretty quick, and now everyone's having a lot of fun planning the reception. Since we got hitched in Vegas, we're doing a casino theme. We're giving chocolate poker chips to everyone that comes, and letting them bet them in a poker tournament. Our invitations are handmade out of playing cards.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone know about online stores like Store of Dress? They sell designer gowns that go for 2500 for about 300. How can this be and is it worth it to try it out?

eknomf
Jan 1, 2005
I was invited and committed myself and my girlfriend to attending a friend's reception next weekend and am not sure what to do for a gift. I am a very poor, unemployed college student. This is the first wedding related event I've been invited to as an adult and I didn't realize it was expected to bring gifts to receptions or I might have declined the invitation because I am going to have trouble swinging anything that doesn't seem tacky and cheap. Have you guys got any suggestions?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Because we registered at Target and Macy's, I got a lot of gift cards from both places for my wedding. The denomination doesn't matter; what's important is the thought. Also, you could be totally creative with it without spending too much money-- something like a $10 card to Baskin Robbins with instructions that the couple should pick out ice cream clown cones for each other, or something cutesy like that would be a nice way to show your appreciation without breaking the bank.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
eknomf if your friend isn't a complete douche, they'll understand if you don't bring a gift. If you do have a little to spare, a gift card to one of the stores they registered at is always appreciated. Even $20 will help buy something they didn't receive.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

eknomf posted:

I was invited and committed myself and my girlfriend to attending a friend's reception next weekend and am not sure what to do for a gift. I am a very poor, unemployed college student. This is the first wedding related event I've been invited to as an adult and I didn't realize it was expected to bring gifts to receptions or I might have declined the invitation because I am going to have trouble swinging anything that doesn't seem tacky and cheap. Have you guys got any suggestions?

Are you or anyone you know into any kind of creative stuff? I'd ask around and see if any friends have any extra artwork they've done, have someone sew/crochet/knit an afghan or something. You'd be surprised how easily (and relatively cheap) it is to get an 8x10 frame (walmart has them they cheapest I've seen) and find a picture of the both of them and blow it up to 8x10 and give them that. I bet you could get it done for under $10, under $15 at the most.

If that doesn't sound appealing, I agree with the gift card idea. I can only imagine how much crap they're going to get that doesn't fit their style or anything. This way they can get exactly what they want.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Are you or anyone you know into any kind of creative stuff? I'd ask around and see if any friends have any extra artwork they've done, have someone sew/crochet/knit an afghan or something. You'd be surprised how easily (and relatively cheap) it is to get an 8x10 frame (walmart has them they cheapest I've seen) and find a picture of the both of them and blow it up to 8x10 and give them that. I bet you could get it done for under $10, under $15 at the most.

Expanding on that idea, I know a lot of people have received their wedding invitations in frames as gifts. Thoughtful and inexpensive.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Photoshop them into a movie poster
Make a music mix CD for the reception
Offer to take lots of pictures or do some other task at the party

There are also lots of kitchen items that are nice and useful without being expensive: Orka pot holders, pot clip spoon rest, OXO can opener, Rosle ice cream scoop, etc.

I just had the City Hall wedding on Friday and dinner party on Saturday. I was really nervous when I woke up Friday and had a tiny Bridezilla moment at Saturday setup (never thought I'd be one...) but other than that I had a blast! Pictures to come later in the week :)

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I need help!

My grandmother recently found out she's sick and doesn't have all that much longer to live. Although she's been legally married to my grandpa for probably close to 50 years, they were never married in the church, despite my grandma being catholic.

So they decided to get married. This Saturday. I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to find a traditional Mexican wedding dress for her to wear. Something along the lines of:

Does anyone know of any place where I could find one and get it by this weekend?

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

ARRGH I don't even have a ring on my finger yet (though we both know we're getting married) and the wedding drama is already starting. My mom and dad are married but live separately and hate each other. Their drama is starting to become my drama. My dad and I reconnected a year or two ago after a lovely relationship during my childhood and teen years, and my mother just can't seem to handle it. She just called and insists that he's only visiting me to poison me against her side of the family, and that he said that I didn't want my gay niece at the wedding (I didn't say that at all, I said my boyfriend's family is homophobic, not that they'd act like animals over a gay person at a wedding) and blah blah blah.

She's also pissed that we lived together for 3 years without getting married and there's no reason for that and it's so wrong and on and on it goes. This is from a woman who hates and mistrusts her own husband and isn't afraid to show it. If their marriage is what marriage is supposed to be like I'll just stay unmarried thank you.

I really want this wedding to go off without a hitch and for everyone to get along, but with the way everybody's acting on my side of the family I'm getting more and more worried that they're going to start fighting in the middle of the reception and ruin the whole thing. :(

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Chajara posted:

drama

This is EXACTLY why I want to just run away to City Hall and just have a party at some later date. My family isn't even that bad. I'm sorry they're being so selfish about such a special day.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We're back from the honeymoon & I am really not ready to go back to work! The wedding & reception were wonderful, even though it poured the entire day & my outdoor wedding got pushed inside.

We don't have any good pictures back yet, but here's one that a cousin took during the first dance.

It's still kind of weird to say 'husband' now. I slipped up yesterday & had to correct myself. :blush:

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

My uncle offered to buy alcohol for our reception so we can have an open bar. We're hosting the recption at my dad and stepmom's house, and they're becoming worried about the whole thing now that people are (presumably) going to be drinking a lot more. We're buying a liqour license, will this cover us as far as responsibility is concerned?

Chajara posted:

I really want this wedding to go off without a hitch and for everyone to get along, but with the way everybody's acting on my side of the family I'm getting more and more worried that they're going to start fighting in the middle of the reception and ruin the whole thing. :(

This is one of the reasons me and my wife eloped, and it was seriously one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. The people who were freaked at the prospect of us getting married are now incredibly pumped for our reception. We get all of the fun with none of the drama.

GoreJess posted:

It's still kind of weird to say 'husband' now. I slipped up yesterday & had to correct myself. :blush:

It's been a month, and me and my wife still slip up on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses

jomiel posted:

Photoshop them into a movie poster
Make a music mix CD for the reception
Offer to take lots of pictures or do some other task at the party

There are also lots of kitchen items that are nice and useful without being expensive: Orka pot holders, pot clip spoon rest, OXO can opener, Rosle ice cream scoop, etc.

I just had the City Hall wedding on Friday and dinner party on Saturday. I was really nervous when I woke up Friday and had a tiny Bridezilla moment at Saturday setup (never thought I'd be one...) but other than that I had a blast! Pictures to come later in the week :)

Congratulations! You got married at SF city hall, right? I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. Did you have trouble booking the date you wanted? Did you use their online system?

2. Were you able to have the ceremony in the Rotunda, or did you have to use their chapel?

3. What time of day was your ceremony?

4. Were they really strict on the number of guests your allowed to have?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures :)