Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Skinty McEdger posted:

One match. That match. That was the show after Booker T and Buff Bagwell stunk up the main event on Raw. The next week they took the angle in a different direction.

EDIT: Durr, reading and posting late at night are not a good combination for me. Anyway.

On an unrelated note, that Austin/Steamboat match they had on Vintage was absolutely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Axissillian posted:

WMIII

:doh:

I'm done posting...

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain I remember him being at least heelish leading into WM17 but by the end of the night, Austin had done everything he could to make Rock into wrestling Jesus.

Problem was, WM17 was in Texas, and Austin could have raped a baby in the ring, and they STILL would have cheered him.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I loved heel Austin a lot, but turning the Rock was the move that made more sense. Most people were sick of him by that point, and Austin had just come back from injury within the last 5 months or so.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Skinty McEdger posted:

This got me thinking: Andre and Studd were involved in two matches together at Wrestlemanias. The first time Andre was the face and Studd the heel, the second (where Studd was the guest ref) the roles were reversed. Were there any other pairs of wrestlers who faced each other at Mania in both situations?

At Wrestlemania 2000, i think The Dudleys were heels and Edge and Christian faces. Then at Wrestlemania 17 the roles reversed. I don't think the Hardys changed though.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I'm not saying Austin's heel turn was a good idea or that it even worked, just that it would count for a role-reversal from their WM 15 match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the Austin heel turn, it gave a fresh twist on his character (his body is starting to fall apart and he can't go like he used to and he's just tired of constantly raging against the machine). It SHOULD have put a ton of heat on him and made Rock into the messiah, but as said it was in Texas and people were so firmly behind him that they forced their own minds to justify his actions by deciding Vince McMahon had turned face.

WWE's fault I guess - they obviously thought Austin turning in Texas would make them hate him for being a sellout and tried to capitalize on that level of heat, but instead they got a crowd that didn't want to accept him as a heel and as a result despite some great actions from Austin, future crowds never REALLY got behind the heel turn.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He got heel heat quick enough when he teamed up with HHH. During their fued with the Hardys and then Brothers of Destruction, Austin was booed heavily and consistently

The Angle/Austin heel duel was too funny to really hate. The skits they did with Vince were solid gold

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Supreme Allah posted:

He got heel heat quick enough when he teamed up with HHH. During their fued with the Hardys and then Brothers of Destruction, Austin was booed heavily and consistently

The Angle/Austin heel duel was too funny to really hate. The skits they did with Vince were solid gold

But "funny" isn't necesscarily what you want from your top heels. The Two Man Power Trip, despite the awesome match against Jericho and Benoit, irritated me because Austin, although he was the world champion, seemed to be playing second fiddle to Triple H.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL posted:

But "funny" isn't necesscarily what you want from your top heels. The Two Man Power Trip, despite the awesome match against Jericho and Benoit, irritated me because Austin, although he was the world champion, seemed to be playing second fiddle to Triple H.

Wait what? Triple H was definitely second banana to Steve Austin.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Maybe it was just my perception at the time. Triple H had been the top heel for so long that I thought that anyone working with him took an immediate backseat to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No, Triple H was (kayfabe) furious that Austin had taken his place, but Austin and Vince both convinced him that it would serve him better to work with Austin than against him. Triple H got the IC belt and the two teamed up for the Two Man Power Trip, and they worked AMAZINGLY well together but Austin was definitely the top dog.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

No, Triple H was (kayfabe) furious that Austin had taken his place, but Austin and Vince both convinced him that it would serve him better to work with Austin than against him. Triple H got the IC belt and the two teamed up for the Two Man Power Trip, and they worked AMAZINGLY well together but Austin was definitely the top dog.

Honestly that team is why wwe swears throwing 2 singles guys together will make an awesome team Trips and Austin was such a dynamic tag team you would have sworn they were teamed together their entire careers if you didnt know better.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Is there a new WWE Roundtable out yet or what?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

Honestly that team is why wwe swears throwing 2 singles guys together will make an awesome team Trips and Austin was such a dynamic tag team you would have sworn they were teamed together their entire careers if you didnt know better.

Well, more generally, Austin is the reason WWE thinks they can constantly pull that off. It was very difficult to find someone to pair Austin with and not get an awesome result.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Okay I have one: What was the Katie Vick storyline?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ColeM posted:

Okay I have one: What was the Katie Vick storyline?

A really, REALLY bad idea.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CombineThresher posted:

A really, REALLY bad idea.

That's what I hear, but what was the storyline? Details, please?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

ColeM posted:

Basically, Triple H was feuding with Kane and so he (HHH) came out and told everyone that years ago Kane was at a party, drank too much, drove a girl home and ended up getting into a car accident and killing the girl. If memory serves Kane admitted that this part was true. But then Triple H went on to say that Kane had sex with the girl's dead body even providing footage of a dramatic re-enactment wherein Triple H, dressed as Kane, climbs into a coffin and has sex with a mannequin dressed as a cheerleader. The coup de grace comes when Triple H pulls a handful of spaghetti out of the coffin and says "Oh my God, I really did it! I screwed your brains out!"

The angle lasted all of about two weeks before they dropped it but it's still one of the most memorably awful WWE stories ever, especially when you realize that, according to Kane's entire backstory up to this point he had been institutionalized since childhood.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

ColeM posted:

This actually hurts my head to think about. Kane was due to have a title match against HHH at the PPV. In the build up to the match HHH revealed that he knew a secret about Kane's past that he would reveal and there was nothing Kane could do about it. In the main event of a Raw he announced it.

CRZ raw report 7/10/02 posted:

"Kane, I promised you that before this night was over, your life would never be the same. You said this is the happiest you've ever been in your life, huh? Well unfortunately, some people always can't be that happy. ["rear end hole!"] Lemme ask you a question, Kane - how happy is Katie Fick? Yeah, that's right - I know, Kane. I know it all. Ten years ago...you killed her. That's right, Kane. You...are a murderer." Closeup on Kane - RAW Zone Credits - WW logo - goodbye.

Next week kane revealed his secret to the world.

CRZ raw report 14/10/02 posted:

"Katie Vick was a friend o' mine, and Katie Vick is dead. But I didn't kill her. It was an accident, and I am NOT a murderer! See, Katie and I were friends about ten years ago, back when I first started wrestling; in fact, she came to my first match and she was probably the only one that cared when I was gettin' beat up. I cared about her, too. One night Katie and I, uh - we went to a party and Katie had too much to drink. So I decided that I should drive her home. I wasn't real familiar with a stick shift, but Katie insisted that we take her car, ah - it was dark...the road was slick 'cause it was raining and a animal jumped, jumped right out in front of us, and uh...I swerved...swerved to uh, to avoid it, and the car spun out of control and went off the road, and... I broke my arm, but Katie was, uh...Katie was killed instantly. But it was an accident!! But it's somethin' that I have to live with, and...something that I've thought about every day since. So, the only thing that I have left to say is what I said to Katie's parents. I'm sorry." TRIPLE H is out without entrance. "Oh, boo hoo, Kane. Boo hoo. You've got me all choked up with your touching story, Kane. But since you're out here baring your soul, why don't you tell the world the whole truth? Why don't you tell the world how, when the people from that party were questioned, they all said that you were drinking, too, Kane? Why don't you tell everybody how, when the police got to the accident scene, there were empty beer cans in the car and all around the crime scene. And more importantly, Kane, why don't you explain to the world how, when doctors did the autopsy on Katie Vick's body, the doctors found *your* semen? That's right, Kane...oh, Katie Vick was a whole lot more than just a 'friend' to you, wasn't she, Kane? The fact is you loved Katie Vick. You were *madly* in love with Katie Vick. The problem was, Katie Vick LIKED you - she didn't love you, Kane. Katie didn't share your 'special' feelings that you had. Come on, Kane, honestly, who can blame her? Look at you. Who could realistically love a burnt-up freak like you?" Tori? "Now, Kane...I know that you weren't charged with murder, I know you weren't even charged with manslaughter. But Kane, facts are facts." Crowd has grown weary and starts chanting (presumably "rear end in a top hat" in Quebecois French). "And the fact is...Kane, the fact is that all this points to you. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. YOU - KILLED - KATIE - VICK. But Kane, the question I have is...on that night, did you...force Katie Vick to have sex with you while she was alive....or did you just wait, and do it to her when she was dead?" Zoom in on both men...and fade out.

This lead to next weeks Raw and HHH's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB4RtdpQE

And that was pretty much the end of it as next week they tried to sweep it under the carpet.

Edit: How could I forget. The next week HHH brought out a coffin to the arena with "Katie Vick" in it (a sex doll). He then proceeded to cut a ten minute promo bad mouthing anyone who thought the angle was tasteless.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 26, 2009

Bean Daddy Vick
Mar 12, 2003

Yes, really.
Bart Gunn famously fought Butterbean at WMXIV and got knocked out cold in under 30 seconds. Whenever I ask about this I always get the story of how Steve Williams was supposed to win the Brawl For All but thanks to an injury the push went to Bart Gunn instead. My question is why they had Bart go through with that fight when he was so badly outclassed. Did they really think he had a shot to win? Was Butterbean supposed to go easy on him? Or did they just instruct Butterbean to take him out as quickly as possible as an excuse to kill a push that went horribly, horribly wrong? I feel like there has to be more of a story behind that match than what I've read.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The push didn't go to Bart Gunn at all. Brawl for all was a shoot tournament and Bart won legitimately. Then they put him against Butterbean because they were pissed off that he ruined Dr. Death for them, and Bart wouldn't turn down a fight (says hardcore holly in his shoot interview). Then Bart got de-pushed to hell and released shortly after

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The week before the "I just humped your brains out" episode, I remember reading a spoiler on 411wrestling for that nights Raw. It described Triple H as going to the cemetary, digging up Katie Vick, taking the clothes off of her body, taking his clothes off, and laying on top of her.

Needless to say, what we saw on Raw that night was actually a relief to me.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Shaman of Cum posted:

The push didn't go to Bart Gunn at all. Brawl for all was a shoot tournament and Bart won legitimately. Then they put him against Butterbean because they were pissed off that he ruined Dr. Death for them, and Bart wouldn't turn down a fight (says hardcore holly in his shoot interview). Then Bart got de-pushed to hell and released shortly after

Brawl For All was a shoot quasi-MMA tournament meant to legitimately make Steve Williams the #1 contender for Austin's belt. The thinking was that it wouldn't hurt the other guys that were just kinda lingering around to be in it, either. Come to find out, Bart Gunn had a vicious left hook and dominated the whole thing, including making Williams looks like a chump in their match-up.

After he won, Bart wasn't de-pushed to hell, he was completely off of TV. He had 2 matches between the BFA Tournament in August and WrestleMania - neither to promote the match vs. Butterbean.

For the WWE, they had nothing to lose with the Butterbean fight. Before the show, it definitely was an added attraction. And had Bart won, the WWE could have capitalized on that and made money off of it. If he had lost, they could have their "revenge" for Bart derailing the Williams push.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
every once and a while i'll start to hate my brain for retaining absolutely needless wrestling information (read: anything related to wrestling) and this morning it was bob holly's like, two-week stint where he'd win matches by using a plate in his forearm which was never mentioned again afterward. wikipedia has nothing on the subject. this really happened, right?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

every once and a while i'll start to hate my brain for retaining absolutely needless wrestling information (read: anything related to wrestling) and this morning it was bob holly's like, two-week stint where he'd win matches by using a plate in his forearm which was never mentioned again afterward. wikipedia has nothing on the subject. this really happened, right?

Was this a rehash of Lex Luger's metal plate but with Bob Holly, or was Lex what you remembered?

Edit: I just read about Bob's real life metal plate in 2000 so maybe they did do something with that for a couple weeks.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
no. bob holly. he'd hit someone with his forearm and then look confused like he hadn't mentally put together the concept of PIECE OF METAL + SOME CHUMP'S SKULL = WIN.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sugar Blaster posted:

he'd hit someone with his forearm and then look confused like he hadn't mentally put together the concept of PIECE OF METAL + SOME CHUMP'S SKULL = WIN.

This sounds like an awesome gimmick and I'm sad that it's imaginary/only lasted 2 weeks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Butterbean punched Bart Gunn all the way to Japan where he somehow managed to continue his career.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

no. bob holly. he'd hit someone with his forearm and then look confused like he hadn't mentally put together the concept of PIECE OF METAL + SOME CHUMP'S SKULL = WIN.

I too remember this, so you're not insane.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Is there a specific reason Rey Mysterio was able to keep his mask a second (or possibly third if you count WCW) time even after Jericho unmasked him earlier this year? It is confusing the hell out of me.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Good Listener posted:

Is there a specific reason Rey Mysterio was able to keep his mask a second (or possibly third if you count WCW) time even after Jericho unmasked him earlier this year? It is confusing the hell out of me.

There was no stipulation in place which stated that if Rey lost, he lost his mask. There was a mask vs title match that he did win.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Good Listener posted:

In lucha losing your mask permenantly required you to lose it in a match, not just have someone take it off. Although that is still considered a big deal.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Putting it back on Rey after WCW was one of the best ideas of the InVASION, which isn't really a compliment to the inVasion

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!

TL posted:

The week before the "I just humped your brains out" episode, I remember reading a spoiler on 411wrestling for that nights Raw. It described Triple H as going to the cemetary, digging up Katie Vick, taking the clothes off of her body, taking his clothes off, and laying on top of her.

Needless to say, what we saw on Raw that night was actually a relief to me.

I think I remember an interview with HHH where he was asked about the funeral home skit, and he said there was an actual funeral going on in the next room over. And while they'd be filming, Vince would keep yelling at HHH to hump the dummy harder and to be over the top about it. The funeral director had to keep peeking his head in, telling them to quiet down.

I really wonder which scenario is more tasteful.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The whole Katie Vick thing would be worth it if in a few years' time Vince came out and said "Yeah, we were just messing with Hunter."

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I think I remember an interview with HHH where he was asked about the funeral home skit, and he said there was an actual funeral going on in the next room over. And while they'd be filming, Vince would keep yelling at HHH to hump the dummy harder and to be over the top about it. The funeral director had to keep peeking his head in, telling them to quiet down.

Sorry, but that's hilarious because I can actually picture Vince McMahon yelling that.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

WWE's fault I guess - they obviously thought Austin turning in Texas would make them hate him for being a sellout and tried to capitalize on that level of heat, but instead they got a crowd that didn't want to accept him as a heel and as a result despite some great actions from Austin, future crowds never REALLY got behind the heel turn.

I hate the revisionist history/misinterpretation that has floated around for years.

The Austin heel turn would have failed EVERYWHERE. The guy, the most popular in the company btw, was out for a goddamn year. NOBODY wanted to boo Steve Austin. WWE's fault, but not because "Oh it was in Texas! They would have gone along with it in Tampa or Seattle!" It's their fault because they were being booked by some stupid spoiled bitch who doesn't understand what works and what doesn't work.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Didn't Kane then dress up as Triple H and do something similar to mock him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think it was Hurricane, pulling things out of HHH's rear end or something?