Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

sensy v2.0 posted:

Actually I'd quite like a Rollei 35S if I could find one cheap. I like how it's completely manual (as far as I understand it) and that you can use it without any batteries. Are there any other ones like that I could look for?

If you're patient, I've seen 35S's go for as low as $120-130, although closer to $200 is the norm. The cheaper ones seem kind of random, they were in working order and looked no different than the ones that went for $200.

An Olympus XA or XA2, or Lomo LC-A are good, pocketable cameras with 35mm lenses. The Lomo's are a bit overpriced at around $100, you can grab an Olympus XA for the same cost, which has a nice 35mm f/2.8 lens, rangefinder, as well as aperture priority shooting. (The LC-A also has a 35mm f/2.8 lens and Av shooting, but is scale-focus only and I think ISO tops out at 400). The XA2 has a slower f/3.5 lens, no Av mode or rangefinder, but only costs like $10. I had my XA modified to meter a stop fast so I could use 1600 film, which made it a pretty formidable little shooter. I liked it but eventually decided to sell it to fund my R3a.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Have you tried Kodak Portra? The NC version is pretty laid back.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. And they even have 120 versions. Most of the film I've found locally is all about vivid colors. I only found the Agfa by accident, and now that of course is gone.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. And they even have 120 versions. Most of the film I've found locally is all about vivid colors. I only found the Agfa by accident, and now that of course is gone.

Yeah, Agfa had some great films. I still have a roll of Portrait in the freezer together with lots and lots of Ultra 50.

You'll like Portra NC, same "look" to it as the Agfa stuff.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

sensy v2.0 posted:

Actually I'd quite like a Rollei 35S if I could find one cheap. I like how it's completely manual (as far as I understand it) and that you can use it without any batteries. Are there any other ones like that I could look for?

Anything that's either full mechanical or has full manual controls. Many of the better compact rangefinders like the Canonet and 35RC have manual controls so if worst comes to worst, you can run without batteries. Like I said before, I prefer the 35RC because it has better controls and it displays the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder.

Be careful of buying rangefinders without manual controls because if the light meter ever conks out, the camera is as good as dead, regardless of battery situation.

There are also lots of SLRs out there like the K1000, MX, Spotmatic and OM-1.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

HPL posted:

Anything that's either full mechanical or has full manual controls. Many of the better compact rangefinders like the Canonet and 35RC have manual controls so if worst comes to worst, you can run without batteries. Like I said before, I prefer the 35RC because it has better controls and it displays the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder.

Be careful of buying rangefinders without manual controls because if the light meter ever conks out, the camera is as good as dead, regardless of battery situation.

There are also lots of SLRs out there like the K1000, MX, Spotmatic and OM-1.
Oh, that makes the 35RC sound pretty sweet actually. As you might have noticed I'm more than clueless about this so thanks for all the tips. All I want is a cheap, full manual and somewhat decent rangefinder. I don't give a poo poo about light meter because it's more exciting to just guess.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Hooray! My Canon AE-1 came in the mail today. My old one's shutter stopped opening past 1/30th for some odd reason, and no amount of shaking, poking, prodding, and battery replacing seemed to fix it. The guy at the local camera dungeon wanted 150 to repair, but I got a new body on eBay for 30. Dirty as hell, but otherwise seems to function great.

Going to put an expired roll of Kodak Gold through it that I swiped from work to see what it can do.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Anything that's either full mechanical or has full manual controls. Many of the better compact rangefinders like the Canonet and 35RC have manual controls so if worst comes to worst, you can run without batteries.

Couldn't it be manually controlled, but still battery operated?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

Couldn't it be manually controlled, but still battery operated?

Of course, but the catch with rangefinders is that almost all of them turn off the light meter when you run them in manual mode so although there may be a light meter, you won't know if you're over or underexposing unless you flip it back into automatic exposure mode to check your settings.

That's the nice thing about SLRs. A lot of them still have the light meter working in manual mode so you'll know if you're in the ballpark or not.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Of course, but the catch with rangefinders is that almost all of them turn off the light meter when you run them in manual mode so although there may be a light meter, you won't know if you're over or underexposing unless you flip it back into automatic exposure mode to check your settings.

That's the nice thing about SLRs. A lot of them still have the light meter working in manual mode so you'll know if you're in the ballpark or not.

Sorry, I meant electronically controlled shutters, I don't know if any rangefinders with manual controls use them, but if he was looking for something that worked without batteries that would be an important distinction.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Sorry, I meant electronically controlled shutters, I don't know if any rangefinders with manual controls use them, but if he was looking for something that worked without batteries that would be an important distinction.

The whole "well it works without batteries" thing is a bit :rolleyes: to me but the Bessa R2M/R3M both have that feature (no Av mode though).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The whole "well it works without batteries" thing is a bit :rolleyes: to me but the Bessa R2M/R3M both have that feature (no Av mode though).

I know. The battery thing is silly in this day and age considering the batteries last a year or so and replacement SR44 batteries are less than a dollar a piece.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not only that, but people whine about carrying spares when they can fit ten years' worth into a smaller space than a single film canister.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

When you're living on the cheap in some third world country, not having to worry about batteries is pretty sweet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

notlodar posted:

When you're living on the cheap in some third world country, not having to worry about batteries is pretty sweet.

You'll spend tons more on film and developing than you ever would on coin batteries.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

The Canonet has a (relatively) loud shutter, doesn't have nearly as good controls as the 35RC and is almost as large and heavy as an SLR.

While the 800 limitation sucks, keep in mind that just about all rangefinders of that vintage max out at around 400 or 800. You can go to crazy low speeds with a rangefinder, like 1/15 handheld if you've got a steady hand.

Oh come on now, the Canonet QL-17 G-III is nowhere near as big as an SLR. It also tends to go for a lot less on eBay than the 35RC as it was far more common, and some would argue it's more reliable as 35RCs are known for oil migration on the shutter/aperture assembly.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Radbot posted:

Oh come on now, the Canonet QL-17 G-III is nowhere near as big as an SLR. It also tends to go for a lot less on eBay than the 35RC as it was far more common, and some would argue it's more reliable as 35RCs are known for oil migration on the shutter/aperture assembly.

I actually have a QL17 GIII, a 35RC and a number of 35mm SLRs so I think I'm reasonably qualified to make statements regarding all three. How about you?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The SLRs I've personally handled (and thus, ~*QuAlIfIeD*~ to speak of) have varied greatly in size, is there some sort of "standard" size and weight class that separates SLRs from RFs, and the Canonet unquestionably breaches that barrier? Or is this comparing a "kinda big" RF with a "kinda small" SLR? I ask since I haven't handled the RFs in question and so I'm not qualified.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

I actually have a QL17 GIII, a 35RC and a number of 35mm SLRs so I think I'm reasonably qualified to make statements regarding all three. How about you?

I own a QL17, five different SLR systems with lenses, and I've handled a 35RC before (in addition to owning multiple Yashica Electro models, Olympus XA and XA2, etc.) So yeah, if you want to get confrontational about it for some odd reason, I do know what I'm talking about. I can post a pic of my Canonet next to my Minolta X-570, Nikon N80, Nikon N65, Nikon F4s, and Canon AE-1, whichever you'd prefer. The 35RC is a great camera, there's no doubt, but I love my RFs and the Olympus XA and the Canonet QL17 G-III are my favorites.

My Canonet is smaller than any of these systems. Granted, it's not a LOT smaller than the AE-1 or the X-570, but it is smaller.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 25, 2009

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

You'll spend tons more on film and developing than you ever would on coin batteries.
Oh sorry, the cheap part doesn't have to do with affording the batteries but not having them available.

Even when they last a year, I don't want to worry about my camera dying and forgetting my spare batteries in my hotel room.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gaffer tape a spare to your camera, problem solved.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

My 1n takes huge batteries :(

Carbocation
Sep 2, 2006
Has anyone used the Arista premium development tank?
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5041-Arista-Premium-Double-Reel-Developing-Tank-with-two-reels

I've got a Paterson, but it keeps leaking when I invert it and I want something less messy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Radbot posted:

My Canonet is smaller than any of these systems. Granted, it's not a LOT smaller than the AE-1 or the X-570, but it is smaller.

It's maybe smaller by a smidge, depth wise but otherwise largely the same in most other dimensions compared to Pentax and Olympus cameras. I just haven't been impressed by the Canonet when using it and viewing the results. The size and weight of the lens pretty much ruins any advantage over an SLR with a 50mm lens. Given that you're losing the advantage in almost every department by going with a rangefinder over an SLR and gaining a few headaches like weird batteries, I think that rangefinders are overhyped unless you're talking about the upper crust of rangefinders like Leicas or truly small and quiet rangefinders like the XA and 35RC.

Point being that anyone that thinks that something like a GSN or Canonet is going to disappear in a coat pocket like magic compared to an MX or OM-2 may be disappointed.

And yes, the Arista Premium tank is fine. I use one all the time.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Had to order my paterson tank from calumet online after walking for miles to there shop and discovering they basically dont sell anything there apart from £1500+ lenses.

Tried to order my chemicals from them aswell but got a phone call saying the delivery was going to be £22 for a bottle of fixer because it needed to be transported in a specialy equipped health and safety van.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
My SLRs are cursed. The Nikon FG that I was given to replace my old Centon (whose meter went all screwy) has also failed electronically. Very irritating.

In other news my Kiev 4 turned up. The timer doesn't work but otherwise it seems to be running perfectly and I have a cable release anyway if I want to do something without touching the camera. That and the vinyl being kind of nasty is about all that is wrong with it. Will take it down to the local flea market tomorrow and see if I can't take some interesting shots.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Carbocation posted:

Has anyone used the Arista premium development tank?
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5041-Arista-Premium-Double-Reel-Developing-Tank-with-two-reels

I've got a Paterson, but it keeps leaking when I invert it and I want something less messy.

I wasn't aware that AP stood for Arista Premium, but I use this tank.

I've had the odd leak here and there but it's usually from me not tightening the lid enough. I typically try to towel off the tank between chemicals just so I can be sure that it's chemical leaking and not some water that was there from my stop bath.

Overall I think the shape of the lid on the Paterson tanks looks like it makes it easier to pour chemicals since it looks to be more funnel shaped. I haven't looked at one up close though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

Overall I think the shape of the lid on the Paterson tanks looks like it makes it easier to pour chemicals since it looks to be more funnel shaped. I haven't looked at one up close though.

The Paterson tank design is indeed easier to pour liquids into, but the lid can be a bit finicky if you're not careful. I'd get the AP tank just because it's a lot cheaper. The Paterson also has the advantage of using a bit less fluid per reel than the AP tank, but not a heck of a lot.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

I always convert the currency to US dollars. So yes, a almost mint condition minolta 7s is being sold at $HKD 2220 or ~= $USD 310. Not sure if it's any special edition but does not look like it. Think I'm going to go for the canon EOS 3, EOS 5 (A2/A2E?) since range finders are not that compact.

Yeah that's about par for the course in Hong Kong. Brick and mortar stores are a pretty bad idea here, as they pretty much all overcharge.

What you want to do is hang around the used sections of dchome.net, dcfever.com, and hklfc.com until a decently priced SLR turns up, or take a gamble on something from the flea market on Sham Shui Po's Apliu Street. It'll take a lot longer but you'll save a ton.

By the way if the labs you go to find it weird that anyone still shoots slides in this day and age you may want to go to a professional lab instead. Color Six on Stanley Street in Central is the most popular.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

breathstealer posted:

Yeah that's about par for the course in Hong Kong. Brick and mortar stores are a pretty bad idea here, as they pretty much all overcharge.

What you want to do is hang around the used sections of dchome.net, dcfever.com, and hklfc.com until a decently priced SLR turns up, or take a gamble on something from the flea market on Sham Shui Po's Apliu Street. It'll take a lot longer but you'll save a ton.

By the way if the labs you go to find it weird that anyone still shoots slides in this day and age you may want to go to a professional lab instead. Color Six on Stanley Street in Central is the most popular.

Thank you so much! Just started to use colour 6.omeone found a minolta 7s for cheap and hopefully I will too! Will scour the flea markets for a camera. Or just get a cheaper 650QD.

Man I just wish KEH has more international affiliates or more diverse warehouses so they can rule the internet shopping land.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

caberham posted:

Man I just wish KEH has more international affiliates or more diverse warehouses so they can rule the internet shopping land.

As a tip to Canadians, if you aren't in a rush when ordering from KEH, get the cheaper Purolator option. Yes, it will take a month to get to you, but it will be far, far cheaper because KEH will quote you a price, but UPS (the normal delivery method), while fast as a house on fire, will ding you a ton of extra fees on top of that, whereas Purolator doesn't so much.

To further illustrate the rangefinder vs SLR thing, I snapped a couple of quick and dirty comparison photos:

Bottom row, left to right: Olympus 35RC, Canonet QL17, Pentax MX + 50mm, Olympus OM-2SP + 28mm, Yashica GSN
Top: Comedy option Mamiya 645 Pro + 150mm

Top row: Canonet, Pentax MX
Middle row: 35RC, OM-2SP
Bottom: GSN

So you do save a wee tiny bit of space, but not a heck of a lot.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nice collection.

A lot of people forget how small the classic film SLRs could be, and how big rangefinders actually are. Everyone pictures the Leica M as a 'small' camera when the thing (my *LEICA*) is a bit bigger than my OM2. Heavy, too. And for some reason everyone posts pictures of theirs looking all sexy with a naked lens when in reality you add a decent hood too, and the thing is anything but compact.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

... I think that rangefinders are overhyped unless you're talking about the upper crust of rangefinders like Leicas or truly small and quiet rangefinders like the XA and 35RC.

Point being that anyone that thinks that something like a GSN or Canonet is going to disappear in a coat pocket like magic compared to an MX or OM-2 may be disappointed. ...

I'd agree wholeheartedly on both counts. Rangefinders are overhyped. I shoot a fair amount with the Canonet since it is a teensiy bit smaller and (most importantly), if I'm going out for a reason other than specifically taking pictures I'm not going to bring a huge zoom or lots of different lenses, so the Canonet is a good choice. It's a well made, well built camera that I could lose or damage without it ruining my month.

You and Clayton Bigsby are definitely both right though. It's easy to get caught up in little boutique or rare rangefinders when classic SLRs are drat small on their own right. One could make an argument that, once a camera is too big for the pocket and is going to be carried around the shoulder, size doesn't matter as much as quality and thus the Canonet is a poor choice (being bigger than pocket-sized and not capable of producing the same results as an SLR). I just love the little thing though. I'd think that most people who still shoot 35mm are into great, old equipment.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Nice collection.

It's only a mere sampling of the collection. Don't tell my girlfriend! :ssh:

Radbot, you're dead on about the pocket thing. It really is an "in for a dime, in for a dollar" thing up to a point when you're walking around with a potato-masher flash, a 400mm lens and a big chiropractor bill.

I like the compact film SLRs because they're small, cheap, tough, full of features and they can be at least as fast to use as a rangefinder. If you get an automatic metering camera like the ME Super or OM-2 and pair it up with a wide angle lens like a 28mm prime and set it to f/8, you can hit and run like nobody's business. Shoot from the hip, shoot behind your back, over your head, whatever.

What I'd love to have is something like a 35RC with a 28mm lens. That would be the poo poo for street photography.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any places that still have Kodachrome, or am I going to have to get it from eBay?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
If you in the uk boots has it, which i was astonished at considering there basically a chain chemist, it was £13 a roll though.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pyruvate posted:

Are there any places that still have Kodachrome, or am I going to have to get it from eBay?
When it was announced that they were discontinuing it, Kodak said they expected to have supplies to last through the Fall. But I don't know if they factored in the predictable skyrocket in demand the minute they announced it. Freestyle, back in August, said they were getting shipments, but they were spoken for before they even arrived. Honestly, you'll probably have to bite the bullet and troll the Bay if you can't find it through Freestyle or a local store. You can also ask people here, someone might have some or be able to get you some.

Good luck, and enjoy it if you can get it. It's pretty sweet film. :allears:

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah I figured I should at least try and shoot a couple rolls before I can't anymore forever. I found a couple "Kodachrome Slides" boxes in an antique store and got eaxcited, but there weren't any slides in there.

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Pyruvate posted:

For what it's worth, it's not impossible to find in Sweden. Normal (converted) price is $25-30, though (but that includes development).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Snaily posted:

For what it's worth, it's not impossible to find in Sweden. Normal (converted) price is $25-30, though (but that includes development).

I found some on a UK site a while back (probably gone) but Dwayne's has said they do NOT accept European mailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I found some on a UK site a while back (probably gone) but Dwayne's has said they do NOT accept European mailers.

Do you have a quote for this? That would be an immensely lovely thing for them to do. I looked around on their site, but couldn't find anything.