Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

svein
Aug 18, 2009
Hi everyone, I have a quick question on pricing a bass, and hopefully someone will be able to help out!

I have a MIJ Fender P-Bass 62 Reissue (made in the late 80's or early 90's), and I am looking to get it sold due to hard times with money. Of course, I forgot the general price I bought it for, and eBay is showing various prices. Of course, I know this may be independent to each specific bass, but any estimation would be appreciated. It has all the original components except for the bridge, which was replaced with a BADASS II bridge.

Anyone know a rough price on how much I could sell this for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Can you post up pictures? Might be interested if it has a maple neck.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Can you post up pictures? Might be interested if it has a maple neck.

You mean fretboard? Because pretty much every Fender ever made has a maple neck. Chances are the fretboard is rosewood. Rw was the big thing for fender beginning in the early 60s.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

You mean fretboard? Because pretty much every Fender ever made has a maple neck. Chances are the fretboard is rosewood. Rw was the big thing for fender beginning in the early 60s.

When saying maple neck, it is pretty much implied fretboard wood. I have basses with ebony, pau ferro, and a handful with rosewood, I'd just like a P with maple.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

When saying maple neck, it is pretty much implied fretboard wood. I have basses with ebony, pau ferro, and a handful with rosewood, I'd just like a P with maple.

Well since they're often two different pieces, I've never assumed its implied, but anyway, if it's a 60s reissue it's likely to be rosewood.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I went with the Ibanez SR 300 actually :( It was a really good deal, I should be picking it up tomorrow!

edit: and here it is!

Came with a Dean Markley amp as well.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 19, 2009

svein
Aug 18, 2009

Scarf posted:

Well since they're often two different pieces, I've never assumed its implied, but anyway, if it's a 60s reissue it's likely to be rosewood.

Yep, exactly as Scarf describes it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Question…

I’ve been contemplating picking up bass guitar. I’ve always wanted to learn a musical instrument, but I’ve never found the one that speaks to me. I recently discovered the bass and I really, really dig it. So, I’ve been shopping around, looking at what’s available and seeing what I like. I’ve been thinking of something like a Hofner. I like the shorter 30 inch scale and closer strings because it’s more comfortable for my small hands (I went to a store and tried out the Epiphone replica and found it to be much more comfortable than normal 35 inch scale guitars). Plus I like the vintage sound. I’m really into groups like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc…

Regardless, I still haven’t settled on anything and I’ve still been shopping around, mostly looking at short scale basses and then I found this thing…

It’s called a DeArmond Ashbory. I think Fender makes them. It has a remarkably short 18 inch scale, it’s very light (two pounds), has a unique body style and it’s fretless (but also has all the markings so you don’t get lost on the thing) so you can slide notes. It also has these unique silicon strings that I’ve never seen before. It’s a pretty crazy instrument that produces a wide range of bass sounds. I don’t think I’m going to consider it for my first bass. It’s just a little too “out there” for a lack of a better word and I heard that it’s a bitch to tune, but it’s reasonably priced and looks fun to play. My question is if anyone here is familiar with this crazy thing and what their thoughts are on it. It looks like it would be fun to play.

Also, the website: http://www.largesound.com/

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Macrame_God posted:

Question…

I’ve been contemplating picking up bass guitar. I’ve always wanted to learn a musical instrument, but I’ve never found the one that speaks to me. I recently discovered the bass and I really, really dig it. So, I’ve been shopping around, looking at what’s available and seeing what I like. I’ve been thinking of something like a Hofner. I like the shorter 30 inch scale and closer strings because it’s more comfortable for my small hands (I went to a store and tried out the Epiphone replica and found it to be much more comfortable than normal 35 inch scale guitars). Plus I like the vintage sound. I’m really into groups like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc…

Regardless, I still haven’t settled on anything and I’ve still been shopping around, mostly looking at short scale basses and then I found this thing…

It’s called a DeArmond Ashbory. I think Fender makes them. It has a remarkably short 18 inch scale, it’s very light (two pounds), has a unique body style and it’s fretless (but also has all the markings so you don’t get lost on the thing) so you can slide notes. It also has these unique silicon strings that I’ve never seen before. It’s a pretty crazy instrument that produces a wide range of bass sounds. I don’t think I’m going to consider it for my first bass. It’s just a little too “out there” for a lack of a better word and I heard that it’s a bitch to tune, but it’s reasonably priced and looks fun to play. My question is if anyone here is familiar with this crazy thing and what their thoughts are on it. It looks like it would be fun to play.

Also, the website: http://www.largesound.com/

Niche instrument. TERRIBLE idea for a first bass to learn on. Just pick up a short-scale p-bass or j-bass on Rondomusic.net.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah man what the hell no one plays that. Get a cheapo bass, learn the basics and move on from there. It'll only cost you like 150 bucks.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Scarf posted:

Niche instrument. TERRIBLE idea for a first bass to learn on. Just pick up a short-scale p-bass or j-bass on Rondomusic.net.

Well, I wasn't planning on actually getting it, I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the thing. Also, are the replicas from Rondo any good? I heard somewhere that they produce a rather lousy sound.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Macrame_God posted:

Well, I wasn't planning on actually getting it, I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the thing. Also, are the replicas from Rondo any good? I heard somewhere that they produce a rather lousy sound.

They are hit and miss. The sounds aren't that great, but will be fine for a first bass. Some experienced bassists take the SX basses and mod them with better electronics.

The Ashborys are a niche instrument, and will *only* make audible sounds when plugged in. The strings, just rubber bands, need to be cared for as well, or they will dry out, get gritty and break.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Macrame_God posted:

On the last page of the Rondo thread, a few people chime in with some info about them. Its worth reading what they say, but the advice seems to be that they are great beginner instruments, and that they are decent platforms to upgrade when you get better. It seems to be a mighty fine deal for under $150.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Quick amp question:

I have an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro running through a 2x12" 4 ohm cabinet, and I can't seem to get as much volume out of there as I'd like without turning on the graphic EQ and putting the "boost" slider all the way to the top. Would having two 8 ohm cabinets be significantly louder than a single 4 ohm cabinet?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Quick amp question:

I have an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro running through a 2x12" 4 ohm cabinet, and I can't seem to get as much volume out of there as I'd like without turning on the graphic EQ and putting the "boost" slider all the way to the top. Would having two 8 ohm cabinets be significantly louder than a single 4 ohm cabinet?

edit: nevermind, misread your post.

It should be the same. 2 8ohm cabs = 4ohm total impedance.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 22, 2009

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I ordered a bass and the amp in the OP.

Wish me luck! :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kessel posted:

I ordered a bass and the amp in the OP.

Wish me luck! :(

Which ones?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Scarf posted:

It should be the same. 2 8ohm cabs = 4ohm total impedance.
Well his amp should push the same amount of power because it'll be the same net impedance. However if he goes, say for example, from a 4ohm 2x12 to a pair of 8ohm 2x12s (or whatever) it should be subjectively louder because there are more speakers pushing more air.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Col.Kiwi posted:

Well his amp should push the same amount of power because it'll be the same net impedance. However if he goes, say for example, from a 4ohm 2x12 to a pair of 8ohm 2x12s (or whatever) it should be subjectively louder because there are more speakers pushing more air.

touche salesman.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I want to get my bass player some new strings for his birthday. Can anyone recommend a set that is good for drop D / a really aggressive bass player?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Can't go wrong with Daddario nickel wounds with a .110 bottom E, such as these: http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl230.html

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Scarf posted:

Which ones?

The amp was the funky one mentioned in the OP. The bass is a used one from a friend who's giving it up - I got it dirt-o cheap-o from him so I wasn't too picky:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Surveyor-405-5String-Bass?sku=513715

ESP LTD Surveyor 405. Is it good? I don't even play guitar, but I do play drums. :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kessel posted:

The amp was the funky one mentioned in the OP. The bass is a used one from a friend who's giving it up - I got it dirt-o cheap-o from him so I wasn't too picky:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Surveyor-405-5String-Bass?sku=513715

ESP LTD Surveyor 405. Is it good? I don't even play guitar, but I do play drums. :(

Seems pretty solid. I have no experience w/ ESPs tho.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lakland finally got around to putting up some soundclips of the hollowbody bass w/ their new Chi-Sonic pickups. Holy lord... Incredibly deep sound, but maintains almost perfect clarity and definition.

http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody.htm (Normal humbucking mode)

http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody-tapped.htm (Coils tapped for "single-coil" sound)

Also, here's a pic of a US version w/ the flame top. This one actually belongs to the guy who handles their website:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^^ drat thats a sweet looking bass. Pretty sweet floor, too!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah... and only about $4k (for the bass, dunno about the floor).

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Crossposting from the new gear thread:

Mighty Mite fretless Pbass neck. I'm very happy with it so far. The finish on the back feels like any satin finished Fender and the board has a nice glossy poly coat. The only minus is the lovely Corian nut. That will be replaced with black Tusq when the time comes. Obviously the bass itself is far from complete. Neck needs tuners, body needs everything.

It's going to be a highly specialized instrument when I'm done. Fretless, mudbucker, and nylon tapewound strings (tuned BEAD) should all add up to some notes that go *boom* and others that simply cause indigestion. That's the plan at least.

And I can also use it to learn Simandl while transposing everything down a fourth, that'll be fun. :downs:

I would like bridge and P-pickup recommendations if anyone has strong feelings. The combination of lower tuning and nylon coating means I need a big magnetic field (to reach the metal core) and non-vintage voicing since it's probably just not ideal, although that's likely less important. I'm thinking either a Dimarzio Split-P or a GFS "hot vintage". For bridges I've looked at everything, it's all so god drat expensive. Anyone tried one of those no-name ebay ones? If not that I'll probably shell out for a Hipshot or a Schaller for the nice finish and the adjustable string spacing.

It's such a wacked out combination of things I'm doing with this project it's hard to find advice. I fully anticipate changing important stuff later. The most likely thing is that I won't be able to make the tapewound strings work and I'll need to switch to metal flats. That would hardly be the end of the world though.

But yeah I'd like to hear any and all thoughts. Preemptively: Yes I will post clips if anyone cares but I need to buy a whole bunch of poo poo before we reach that point. I can make clips on my Roadstar if anyone wants to evaluate the sound of a 34" low B, or (for whatever reason) a 1985 Ibanez.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Crossposting from the new gear thread:

Mighty Mite fretless Pbass neck. I'm very happy with it so far. The finish on the back feels like any satin finished Fender and the board has a nice glossy poly coat. The only minus is the lovely Corian nut. That will be replaced with black Tusq when the time comes. Obviously the bass itself is far from complete. Neck needs tuners, body needs everything.

It's going to be a highly specialized instrument when I'm done. Fretless, mudbucker, and nylon tapewound strings (tuned BEAD) should all add up to some notes that go *boom* and others that simply cause indigestion. That's the plan at least.

And I can also use it to learn Simandl while transposing everything down a fourth, that'll be fun. :downs:

I would like bridge and P-pickup recommendations if anyone has strong feelings. The combination of lower tuning and nylon coating means I need a big magnetic field (to reach the metal core) and non-vintage voicing since it's probably just not ideal, although that's likely less important. I'm thinking either a Dimarzio Split-P or a GFS "hot vintage". For bridges I've looked at everything, it's all so god drat expensive. Anyone tried one of those no-name ebay ones? If not that I'll probably shell out for a Hipshot or a Schaller for the nice finish and the adjustable string spacing.

It's such a wacked out combination of things I'm doing with this project it's hard to find advice. I fully anticipate changing important stuff later. The most likely thing is that I won't be able to make the tapewound strings work and I'll need to switch to metal flats. That would hardly be the end of the world though.

But yeah I'd like to hear any and all thoughts. Preemptively: Yes I will post clips if anyone cares but I need to buy a whole bunch of poo poo before we reach that point. I can make clips on my Roadstar if anyone wants to evaluate the sound of a 34" low B, or (for whatever reason) a 1985 Ibanez.

I think you can make the tapewounds work. Look into some Rotosound TruBass 88s. They've got really high tension and should hold up to downtuning quite well. They have an incredibly "woody" sound to them.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Awesome. They do make a five string set too. The low B is 135- just a hair bigger than the D'Addario I'm using now. Thanks for pointing that out, so far the only five string tapewound set I'd been able to locate was Laella. I'm sure they sound great but the purple silk wrapping is not my favprite look...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Awesome. They do make a five string set too. The low B is 135- just a hair bigger than the D'Addario I'm using now. Thanks for pointing that out, so far the only five string tapewound set I'd been able to locate was Laella. I'm sure they sound great but the purple silk wrapping is not my favprite look...

I loooooove my La Bella tapewounds on my fretless P. But they aren't as high-tension as the Rotos are. And they sound much more like a traditional nylon tapewound. Like I said, I felt like the Rotos had a very "woody" sound.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

Macrame_God posted:

I know this is from a while ago but another reason you don't want that is because the fingerboard lines aren't that good, in fact they are pretty far out of actual intonation. Once you've gotten good with a fretted bass (one that is well intonated) and developed your ears then buy a fretless.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I suggest looking at Gotoh bridges, I've heard many good things about them on TalkBass. The 201 is a high mass type, the 203 is simply the stamped steel fender type (that works well, imo)

For a setup like that I'd definitely recommend a 22mfd cap, especially with that mudbucker. But a 47 would get you some real boomy lows if that's what you're after.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh and Ferrous, I completely forgot... I've got a bridge and tuners for sale:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542&pagenumber=28#post366215787

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I asked this question in the Rondo appreciation thread a couple days ago but I got no response, so I'm going to try here and see if I can't get response...

I’ve been looking into picking up bass guitar. I’ve been shopping around and doing some research and I’ve decided that I’m interested in a short scale bass guitar and I’m especially interested in the Hofners. I’ve been looking at the Hofner replicas on the Rondo website and I found this one which is particularly nice. It seems like it would be a great starter guitar and the price is right, but I’ve read a few reviews online saying that the sound isn’t quite right with it. Now, the Rondo catalogue also advertises the more expensive, and more attractive looking, Brice HVB-600 model Hofner replica (the one with the gold finish can be seen here for anyone who is curious). It seems like a great bass. However, there aren’t too many reviews for it online though the few that I’ve read had nothing but glowing things to say about it. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular model and if anyone can offer me some good advice on what would be the smartest move to make for my first bass. I appreciate the help.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

What kind of amp are you going to be using it with?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ferrous Wheel posted:

What kind of amp are you going to be using it with?

I haven't decided with model I'm going to use yet, but I'm probably just going to use a small practice amp seeing as how I'm not exactly ready to start playing with other musicians yet.

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger
I've played percussion for around 8 years now, mostly behind a trap set, and am currently in a band. Since I'm already comfortable in the rhythm section and always liked the bass I thought I'd pick it up. I'm curious if my percussion background is going to help with learning bass, is there anything percussion related I should explore? What is tapping on the bass like? Also, do you think I'll have any natural strengths when playing bass due to a percussion background (as far as techniques or anything)?

Sups fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 28, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sups posted:

I've played percussion for around 8 years now, mostly behind a trap set, and am currently in a band. Since I'm already comfortable in the rhythm section and always liked the bass I thought I'd pick it up. I'm curious if my percussion background is going to help with learning bass, is there anything percussion related I should explore? What is tapping on the bass like? Also, do you think I'll have any natural strengths when playing bass due to a percussion background (as far as techniques or anything)?

You'll have more of a leg-up than a guitarist imo. Think of the bass guitar as a stringed-drum; essentially an 84-tom drumset. Counting off measures is pretty vital, as well as rudimentary stuff (your 1-e-and-a-2-e poo poo). After you get past the basics of scales and such, you should progress pretty drat quickly in terms of the rhythmic theory behind the bass, i.e. locking in with the kick and the snare, etc.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think it might depend on what style you want to play. I wouldn't say guitarists are behind since they already have the coordination going on and the fretboard is already familiar. What you might have a leg up-on are polyrhythms where you don't follow the drums- you'd be able to understand and pick up on what you should be playing much more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Scarf posted:

I actually learned to play bass on an original edition Ashbory. It's fun, light, and creates AWESOME sound for how small and toy-like it is. It's unorthodox but fun.