Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

hall n oates mom posted:

If I realized a year or so sooner just how much I had loved the show, I would've tried my hand at a script as well. Knowing the characters so well and having such an appreciation for them and their signature mannerisms is a drat fine base as long as you can get some solid skeletal scripts ideas in there too.

livingfruitvirus did work on the goode family. He probably knows a lot of behind the scenes secrets!

Nothing about writing. We were a subcontractor studio hired by the company to produce the animation. The writers were far off in their own buildings. The writers and animators are not employed by the same company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

livingfruitvirus posted:

Nothing about writing. We were a subcontractor studio hired by the company to produce the animation. The writers were far off in their own buildings. The writers and animators are not employed by the same company.
That's what I suspected, I just thought there might be some kind of crossover with the storyboarding unit sometimes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

robot roll call posted:

Hank used to be kind of a dick, especially when he tells Bobby he knows how it feels to be bullied and the flashback is Hank yelling "Hey fatty! You are fat!" at some fat kid.

Man, I had forgotten about that until you posted it. Even Hank's bullying was mundane.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I love the early Halloween episode. Hank remembering what a bad kid he was then being sad and going to call him mom.

Sad thing is when I later leaned that the "SATANIST!!!!!!!" thing was actually based on reality.

Im surprised they never brought back that character (even if she was a 1 note character).

Also, that episode has a really weird tone to it, like it doesn't quite have the humor/feel of a typical KOTH (even when considering its an early episode)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Billy Gnosis posted:

Im surprised they never brought back that character (even if she was a 1 note character).

Also, that episode has a really weird tone to it, like it doesn't quite have the humor/feel of a typical KOTH (even when considering its an early episode)

That's a clean-burning Hell, I tell you what

Ramen Noodles
Apr 13, 2006
Feeding poor college students since 1970!

Billy Gnosis posted:

I love how she runs her own cat down, then blames the 'satanists'. :D

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

The episode where Hank is accidentally a pimp has tons of great lines, but the best is Hanks "whoa-a" when Peggy's hot new outfit is revealed. Judge taps into his old days and it just sounds exactly like Butthead is back on my screen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ramen Noodles posted:

I love how she runs her own cat down, then blames the 'satanists'. :D

As I said, I was greatly saddened to realize that there are people out there who are just like Judy Harper and they actually can influence local politics. Up until then, I thought people just ignored them.

These days Judy Harper is probably pundit on fox news.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

twistedmentat posted:

As I said, I was greatly saddened to realize that there are people out there who are just like Judy Harper and they actually can influence local politics. Up until then, I thought people just ignored them.

Dude you ain't seen poo poo until you've lived in the Bible Belt in the southern USA. That poo poo is commonplace. My mother blames satan for everything bad that happens to her or others. There are plenty of people who think Obama is the anti-christ and most of them probably live in the bible belt.

You get used to it but it is probably strange from the outside looking in. A lot of the stuff in King of the Hill is very good at cross-sectioning the various parts of the south and it's not ever offended me but neither has Squidbillies which also has some commentary despite the level of ridiculous it runs.

Unknown Hinson is the King of Country-Western Troubadors. I have to say this every time I mention Squidbillies. Seriously, he's the king.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Syrant posted:

Unknown Hinson is the King of Country-Western Troubadors. I have to say this every time I mention Squidbillies. Seriously, he's the king.

I daresay that if you enjoy King of the Hill you're quite likely to also enjoy an Unknown Hinson concert.

ChaosMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 24, 2009

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Proud Pal posted:

The episode where Hank is accidentally a pimp has tons of great lines, but the best is Hanks "whoa-a" when Peggy's hot new outfit is revealed. Judge taps into his old days and it just sounds exactly like Butthead is back on my screen.

I had never seen it before last night, holy poo poo what a great episode. Hank driving with the hat, arm out the window and blasting funk is one of my new favorite KOTH moments.

I also have to admire how consistently awesome they are at choosing the end-of-credits soundbytes.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I also have to admire how consistently awesome they are at choosing the end-of-credits soundbytes.

"I've got gout!"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Hum... that cheese!"

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
:bigtran: Why are you calling me Bill?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

ChaosMonkey posted:

"I've got gout!"

Bee bye bickey bye boo bee bum.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Bee bye bickey bye boo bee bum.

Bee Eye Bickey Bi, Bee Oh Bo!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Was it a wriggler? De-del-de-del-de-del-e-del-e

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Syrant posted:

Dude you ain't seen poo poo until you've lived in the Bible Belt in the southern USA. That poo poo is commonplace.

"I'm not saying you have to use the moment of silence to pray. The kids who don't believe in God can sit and smirk about how they've got it all figured out."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

In my hometown, the fundies petitioned to stop having "Halloween" at my elementary school. So it became "dress up day" when I was in 5th grade.

On "dress up day" only "positive" costumes were allowed- no witches, wizards, warlocks, zombies, vampires, frankensteins...anything dead...the list goes on, you get the drift.

My mom made sure I went as a witch. :)

My high school also had some of those hell houses or whatever the gently caress it is that Harper had in the show where they show people having abortions and teenagers having sex and getting HIV. HILARIOUS.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ChaosMonkey posted:

"I've got gout!"
That's one of my favorite Bobby deliveries ever.

I've got a disturbing number of credit taglines committed to memory. Pretty 'Yarr', huh?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The episode where the school gets new Texas History books and they suck is on a local station. Bobby just said "Maybe the Alamo wasn't that important." and, as a Texan who took Texas History in the 7th grade, I audibly gasped, so did Hank.

I am this show.

"I'm gonna kick your rear end. And then I'm gonna re-enact kicking your rear end."

Annakie fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 25, 2009

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Syrant posted:

You get used to it but it is probably strange from the outside looking in. A lot of the stuff in King of the Hill is very good at cross-sectioning the various parts of the south and it's not ever offended me but neither has Squidbillies which also has some commentary despite the level of ridiculous it runs.

"Georgia public schools: someone has to build the cars" is arguably my favorite line in TV history.

That entire episode is gold, especially the prayer segment at the beginning.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

hall n oates mom posted:

I've got a disturbing number of credit taglines committed to memory. Pretty 'Yarr', huh?

Well, naturally.

"Washington. Hitler. Washington. Hitler."

"RAWK! I LOVE DORIS SHELWIN."

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
"Oh my God it's so juicy!"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"That's my purse!"

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

Tender Bender posted:

"That's my purse!"

I believe that episode is coming up in the next week or two on Adult Swim.

That episode is a shining example of why this show was so great: You can take 22 minutes of a 13-year-old boy kicking everyone he can in the nuts and actually make an intelligent story out of it.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Mwah ha ha ha. Dang ol' boo man.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Seen the episode a zillion times, always knew I recognized the voice, but never until the most recent viewing did I realize Dale's boss at StickTec was Lisa Kudrow. Ridiculously obvious in hindsight, just like the Renn Faire king and Alan Rickman.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guest_stars_on_King_of_the_Hill

It will blow your mind who has been on the show

The best thing is when the episodes were on, Fox didn't run ads that touted the guest voice. Its just awesome actors, doing their thing on KOTH.

I swear there is a guest voice in every episode. So awesome.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

The best thing is when the episodes were on, Fox didn't run ads that touted the guest voice. Its just awesome actors, doing their thing on KOTH.

ohhhhhhhhhh my god james carville was the judge on the episode where hank fished with crack

the japan eps will never be the same knowing junichiro was david carradine

Your Proud Pal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 26, 2009

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

David Cross always plays the best characters

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Your Proud Pal posted:

Seen the episode a zillion times, always knew I recognized the voice, but never until the most recent viewing did I realize Dale's boss at StickTec was Lisa Kudrow. Ridiculously obvious in hindsight, just like the Renn Faire king and Alan Rickman.

That episode was weird at the end when he drops the British accent. "Awww man, I'm gonna lose my fair!!"

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

fishmaster17 posted:

I believe that episode is coming up in the next week or two on Adult Swim.

It'd be nice if they didn't play it though...I mean there are so many episodes and they run the same episodes over and over. Hell that loving dummy episode was on twice in 2-3 weeks which is bull poo poo.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Will Farrell as coach Coleman Lucas of The Wind.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Whats amazing is when you realize who a guest voice is without looking it up and then have to go back and rewatch the whole episode

Like that high school kid who takes Luanne to the prom... i couldn't figure out who the voice was until he gets beaten up by Elvin and Mud dog and I had an epiphany and shouted "OH MY GOD ITS SOKKA!!!" and then i had to watch the whole episode again

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did not know KoTH had Robert Stack as a guest voice until just now.

What other guest stars has this show featured that I'm not aware of?

BlueBayou posted:

loving GREEN DAY did voices on this show?!!?? :psypop:

Also I had no idea Thatherton was played by Burt Reynolds. That seems like something I should've noticed a long time ago.

EDIT: Or that Reverend Stroop was played by Mary Tyler Moore.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 26, 2009

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Also I had no idea Thatherton was played by Burt Reynolds. That seems like something I should've noticed a long time ago.

EDIT: Or that Reverend Stroop was played by Mary Tyler Moore.

To be fair, Thaterton and Stroup were only voiced by those two in one episode.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

eric posted:

Will Farrell as coach Coleman Lucas of The Wind.

Hahha so wait, did that episode predict the future that he would coach a soccer team? (in a movie)

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

I've never seen this episode with Big Tex before. Holy poo poo that caricature of what it would look like if Boomhauer and Dale had a baby is loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

BlueBayou posted:

This, right here, is one of the most brilliant things about KOTH. On a show like The Simpsons, they'll shoehorn in some half-assed reason for the family to meet the actual person doing that voice. OH MY GOD YOU'RE U2!! And then for no rational reason Homer is then on tour with the band.

I know the shows are completely different in sensibility, but KOTH is amazing because they'd have a very famous person voicing a particular role and there is zero attention drawn to it. I think the only famous person I can remember that was on the show that a character worshipped in this manner was Willie Nelson, but it's completely in character for Hank to respect Willie. Don Meredith was a bit like this, but that episode makes sense and Hank ends up tackling one of his heroes on the field at Texas Stadium, which just kills me.

It's always amazing to me when you watch the show and then get to the credits, and, oh, holy poo poo, the yoga instructor was Johnny Depp.

And, yeah, Green Day as the three little punk rear end in a top hat teenagers that Hank and pals get into an epic paintball fight with. Great bit of casting. The Hills don't just wackily, somehow, find themselves at a Green Day concert for no reason. The show fits the guest stars into the show's reality.