Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: The longest journey for :10bux:

I just played this for the first time a few weeks ago. It was probably one of the best games I've ever played. Great characters, setting, and everything was amazing.

Though do take note that you can buy Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Game of the Year for $10 and under nowadays (I got it for $4) which comes with a DVD of the soundtrack and The Longest Journey as a bonus. Both are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
New weekend promo: Celtic Kings, Original War, and Haegemonia Gold Edition are 25% off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I finally played through Fallout and am starting Fallout 2 thanks to that 2-for-1 sale. This is the best way to buy older games. They go out of their way to make sure everything works and provide you with lots of extras while Steam seems to skate by with the bare minimum.

The talk about the Fallout license above got me thinking. When you buy an older game, do the guys that actually made it (and are now undoubtedly scattered all over the place) get a cut of the sale?

If not, do modern developers have contracts with sites like this in mind, so they can get the game equivalent of TV royalties down the road?

The rights to the games are owned by someone, most likely a publisher or majority shareholder. They get royalties for the products sold.

Signing on with Ubisoft a few months ago is their biggest victory so far. In the early interviews they said the toughest part of setting the site up was convincing publishers that DRM free games was a good idea. Hopefully with a big company supporting them we'll see some more big guys signing on. EA has the rights to a massive vault of classic games after assimilating every publisher from the 90s in their collective fat wad. To me, getting those guys onboard would be the ultimate victory.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The talk about the Fallout license above got me thinking. When you buy an older game, do the guys that actually made it (and are now undoubtedly scattered all over the place) get a cut of the sale?

If not, do modern developers have contracts with sites like this in mind, so they can get the game equivalent of TV royalties down the road?

Doubtful. Programmers and artists (and in this case, writers) tend to create all the value in the projects they're involved in, but the suits end up taking home all the money.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Are any of the games in this sale worth it?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Chunk posted:

Haegemonia is a blast. The story is kind of dumb but the game still looks really pretty and it has a fun fast-paced 4x thing going for it.

Then again, if you want a cool space combat game and only have $10 to spend I'd say go for Nexus: The Jupiter Project on Steam.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chunk posted:

Haegemonia is real time strategy game with some 4X elements that plays like an early version of Sins of a Solar Empire except there's less focus on base building and more on exploration and combat. Original War plays similar to Company of Heroes but it's a really difficult game that requires a lot of strategizing. I played it a few times when it was first released but there was a definite trial and error approach to the gameplay. Celtic Kings is pretty good and underrated IMO. It's like playing a mix of Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and Warcraft 3.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
hidden gem of the week: Spellforce platinum, now available for $7.99 instead of :10bux:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

hidden gem of the week: Spellforce platinum, now available for $7.99 instead of :10bux:

There's seriously 140+ hours between the original, the two expansion packs, and the sequel. This is the best deal on the site.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Aside from the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a computer game and some performance issues when there are gigantic battles being fought, Spellforce is a really game that mixes Dungeon Siege and Blue Byte's "Settlers" series. It's a weird mix but it works out pretty well. It's definitely worth picking up for $8.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
GOG released Praetorians today, a RTS game set in Roman times, with a major focus on combat and tactics. I played this multiplayer about two years ago and it was a lot of fun because games didn't last ages and there was so little base building.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 22, 2009

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Strategy First promo has just started. If you buy all of their titles or complete their catalogue, you get 50% off. If you buy titles separate you get 20% off.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I definitely recommend Jagged Alliance 2, together with X-Com it is the king of the squad-based tactical games genre. There is even a 2k post thread about it here in the games forum. The original JA is good as well, but it is hard to go back to from JA2 so I'd recommend playing them in order if you know that you are going to play both.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I'm thinking about buying Flatout with this new deal. Is it playable with keyboard and/or mouse?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Overwined posted:

So I'm thinking about buying Flatout with this new deal. Is it playable with keyboard and/or mouse?

That depends on what exactly fits your definition of "playable", as even with a gamepad it seems to handle about as well as a greased pig on rollerskates to me.

But yeah there's keyboard controls at the very least

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

That depends on what exactly fits your definition of "playable", as even with a gamepad it seems to handle about as well as a greased pig on rollerskates to me.

But yeah there's keyboard controls at the very least

Well isn't that the point since it's supposed to be dirt driving? I'm just looking for something fun to speed around on and wreck people's poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just noticed Ghostmaster is a Strategy First title. Don't pass this up! It's a strategy game where you control campy B-movie monsters and your goal is to slowly scare the denizens of a mansion without putting them into catatonic shock. Some people, like frat girls, are more afraid of your spider monster while a letterman jacket sporting jock won't bat an eyelash when chairs start floating around.

The game was released to mostly positive reviews praising the originality and amount of options for scaring the poo poo out of people. If you like games like Evil Genius you'll definitely like this.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

Well isn't that the point since it's supposed to be dirt driving? I'm just looking for something fun to speed around on and wreck people's poo poo.

It's not very fun since it doesn't feel like it controls properly. Every time you hit something you can't be sure if you'll run through it or just stop dead.

It's also pretty repetitive and lacks a very good sense of speed. Even among dirt racing games, it feels like mush on my Xbox controller.

That said, I did beat the game.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

New release today:

Realms of Arkania 1+2 for $6

And announced as coming soon: Realms of Arkania 3 for $6

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release today:

I completely missed these games back when they came out (even though I recall reading many good reviews) and while I don't think I'd have time to play through them right now, I'm really tempted to get them. I'm also thinking about the Might & Magic pack, so how do those two games differ and which one is "better" for whom?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release today:

BRB gotta change pants.

Realms of Arkania is one of the few old time RPGs that still hold a candle today. A lot of elements in the game, like catching a cold if you slept at night without a sleeping bag, were way ahead of their time. The games also feature extensive character creation. I recommend setting it to novice your first time because there's a lot of crap to manage and it can be pretty overwhelming at first.

As a side note, the recently released Drakensang takes place in the same Das Schwarz Auge (The Dark Eye) universe although RoA and Drakensang have little in common story wise.

Also, Ubisoft is releasing Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (some goofy looking puzzle game) on the DS next month. Don't be surprised if a new Might and Magic game shows up on GoG.

Edit: 500mb download size. Probably means RoA 2 is the cd talkie version which is awesome. The game had terrible voice acting you'd only expect in a European RPG which means hours of unintentionally funny dialog!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 24, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
By my count, Realms of Arkania 1 + 2 is GoG's 150th game! On to 200! :)

Grim Peeper
Aug 1, 2003

by Peatpot
Someone on the first page mentioned that the Crusader games would never make it to GoG. Why? :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grim Peeper posted:

Someone on the first page mentioned that the Crusader games would never make it to GoG. Why? :smith:

EA

Grim Peeper
Aug 1, 2003

by Peatpot
Goddamn it :saddowns:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
EA's massive back catalog and maybe Microsoft's old games are the only major hurdles left after LucasArts finally came to their senses (on Steam anyway).

Oh, and Blizzard needs to put the first Diablo and the first two Warcrafts on their store. What's up with that?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

LucasArts finally came to their senses (on Steam anyway).

I won't consider this to be true until we get X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and XvT :colbert:

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I'm interested in Realms of Arkania (I like games like this) but I was wondering how the tedium to fun level is. Also the length? I've played Drakensang which is based off of this (or the mechanics I think) so i'm just waiting on some more opinions before I give it a whirl.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I'm interested in Realms of Arkania (I like games like this) but I was wondering how the tedium to fun level is. Also the length? I've played Drakensang which is based off of this (or the mechanics I think) so i'm just waiting on some more opinions before I give it a whirl.

The only tedious part is character creation but the developers were actually loving smart and tailored it so people who've never played an RPG could get into the game. Character creation can be "quick and dirty" where they generate a character from top to bottom and all you have to do is review the sheet and add them to your party. You can choose the "fast and detailed" method which assigns attribute points designed for a specific class you want (each class has a minimum required attribute and you have to look it up in the manual or memorize it otherwise) but you get to handle all the other aspects such as skill points and spells. There's the "easy but detailed" mode which suggests the best attributes for specific roles. Finally there's the straight up hardcore "roll it up" method where you generate a character, stat for stat, and masturbate over the number crunching goodness.

As for the game itself, it features everything you'd expect in a CRPG: save anywhere, an actual map, moderate difficulty without being frustratingly grating, an open world, a decent plot that at least keeps you interested in what's going on, and tons of monsters to kill. Battles are turn based and take place on an isometric grid. The interface in the first game (especially the inventory) is one of the few major flaws but it's not a big deal after a few hours of playing.

The best comparison I can make in terms of gameplay and depth is that it's like a first person Baldur's Gate with turn based battles. Drakensang is really, really streamlined compared to RoA but the game can either handle all the boring poo poo, give you some room to experiment but not totally screw you over, or let you control everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is the character customization after character creation? Are there any options as far as things like "builds" go or is it just a matter of getting new items and finding new spells?

Comparisons to D&D would be pretty useful.

UtilityPole
Sep 15, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Can anyone recommend a good, old-school RTS game (aside from Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft, of course)? They don't seem to make those games, anymore. :(

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

UtilityPole posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, old-school RTS game (aside from Red Alert 2, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft, of course)? They don't seem to make those games, anymore. :(

Dark Reign, if you can find it. Very difficult, but did a lot of things that were very unique at the time.

Bonus points if you can hunt down a boxed copy and get the manual, which is very thick and has a ton of well-written backstory.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UtilityPole posted:

Stronghold is a bit different from the games you mentioned, but I've enjoyed it a great deal. The graphics have help up pretty well over the years, too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

How is the character customization after character creation? Are there any options as far as things like "builds" go or is it just a matter of getting new items and finding new spells?

Comparisons to D&D would be pretty useful.

In novice mode, leveling up is automatic. The game handles your skill increases based on your characters role, they give you your magic upgrades, and automatically increase attack values. You can increase a positive attribute by 1 point and decrease a negative attribute by 2 points*

In advanced mode it's typical of D&D in that you're in charge of every single skill increase. You get 15-20 attempts to increase your skills where you roll against a target number and if you beat it your skill increases (like in D&D, skills are capped based on level so even if you fail 10 times in a row you have plenty of chances to increase your important skills). You can increase and adjust your attack and parry values (all weapons have attack and parry values but you can adjust how you want your character to fight in battle, defensive or offensive), and you get magic points if you're a spell caster to research spells. The game uses spell points instead of a Vancian magic system and all characters are assumed to know every spell they just have to spend points in it to "research" them.

*RoA has positive attributes and negative attributes. Positive attributes are stuff like strength and agility which help you perform well. Negative attributes are things like superstition (you're more susceptible to magic) and necrophobia (reduces effectiveness against undead monsters). Some classes actually require a high enough negative attributes like dwarves have to have 4 or less points in claustrophobia (because they're dwarves, duh) but have to have 7 or more points in avarice (because dwarves love gold).

You can decrease these as you level up but negative attributes come into play in combat and during random non-hostile encounters. It really adds flavor to the game.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Charles Martel posted:

Oh, and Blizzard needs to put the first Diablo and the first two Warcrafts on their store. What's up with that?
It's highly likely those issues are related to Battle.net incompatibilities and lack of internal support for the multiplayer aspects.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plavski posted:

It's highly likely those issues are related to Battle.net incompatibilities and lack of internal support for the multiplayer aspects.

Diablo still works on bnet. I tried to play it a while back but it hates XP with a passion. It can go online before it crashes horribly, though. I would be unsurprised if the two warcrafts still work as well.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Drox posted:

Diablo still works on bnet. I tried to play it a while back but it hates XP with a passion. It can go online before it crashes horribly, though. I would be unsurprised if the two warcrafts still work as well.

I played Diablo on XP just fine over battlenet less than a month ago. There aren't a lot of servers, but it definitely still works. I was surprised that it did.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone mind giving a quick synapse of what spellforce is about and how it plays? Seen it before years ago, but never gave it a chance,

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spy posted:

Anyone mind giving a quick synapse of what spellforce is about and how it plays? Seen it before years ago, but never gave it a chance,

It's an RTS game with RPG elements. You have a hero who controls all aspects of building bases, gathering resources, and summoning other heroes to fight hordes of monsters. Your heroes have their own stats, inventory and special abilities and each level has its own quests and goals.

Each level itself is really, really long and often involves lots of battles of attrition because the AI is pretty aggressive + tons of exploration to level up your hero and find new equipment. I guess the best comparison is a harder Warcraft III with larger levels and exploration.

Edit: I should also mention the games are very, very long. The tutorial level is like 3 hours long not because there's a lot of material to cover but because the levels are huge with a bunch of interspersed cut scenes to advance the story.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I just started playing might & magic 6 again. Ive played it years ago, so i didnt think i needed to check the manual as i already knew the game very well. :smug:

Well, the first goblin i encountered killed my whole team as i had no idea how the hell combat worked anymore. :( Time to get those additional downloads. Thank god they get them for download as well. :cool: