Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-street-fighter.php

I, for one, did not think District 9 was made just to be a prequel to a future movie. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
A Street Fighter RPG? :psyduck: I'm somehow more shocked that my brother wasn't obsessed with this when we were younger.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Wait until you guys see the horrible characters and artwork in the Contenders book. It makes the poo poo in this look incredible.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How did you even find a copy of the Street Fighter RPG?
I can't believe anyone ever actually bought the book. Did you find it in a warehouse along with every other copy?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
drat this Street Fighter RPG stuff is worse than that lovely early 90s cartoon

Hilarious article Zack and Steve, by the way

Chairman Chao
Aug 29, 2009
Great update. I actually own this book. I bought it at some shop in Pennsylvania. Half the shop was RPGs and Magic cards, and the other half was yarn because the owner's mother lived with him or something. I found it on the discount display and snatched it up, although I've never played it.

The picture of Zangief is awesome because he's straining so hard that blood is shooting out of his skull.

Grigori R
Jan 13, 2008
A friend of mine from several years ago owned all of the Street Fighter books. We tried playing a game of it once. I don't remember the particulars, but the game had some kind of weird system for dealing with initiative where everyone moved at the same time or something like that. It might have not been so bad if it was just used for one-on-one fights, but our big fight scene was a free-for-all between the player characters and a group of NPC opponents, like in a normal RPG. The combat ended up being a big, confusing mess that took a ridiculously long time to resolve. Unsurprisingly we never got around to playing a follow-up session to it. When he had to move away from town and couldn't afford a rental truck my friend left a good deal of his stuff behind. I think I might still have those books in a box sitting in the back of a closet somewhere.

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive
I wonder if the illustrator for some of the images is the same guy who did that Doom comic. Guile's bizarre circulatory system looks awfully familiar...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This was an excellent back and forth here:

DnD posted:

Zack: She always reminded me of an R. Crumb character someone injected with steroids. Her and that thunder thighs Chun-Li. Do you think she could still kick rear end without a head?

Steve: Where would you put the beret?

Zack: I'm sure we could come up with somewhere comically misogynistic.

Steve: How about in the kitchen?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I have all the Street Fighter books, my friend wanted some martial arts moves for our WoD game and I figured what would be the harm. There's also a Secrets of Shadaloo book where they imply that M. Bison is a knowing servant of the Wyrm.

And then they took the combat system wholesale out and used it for WoD:Combat.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Chao posted:

He looks constipated.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Gassire posted:

I have all the Street Fighter books, my friend wanted some martial arts moves for our WoD game and I figured what would be the harm. There's also a Secrets of Shadaloo book where they imply that M. Bison is a knowing servant of the Wyrm.

And then they took the combat system wholesale out and used it for WoD:Combat.
I'd be tempted to offer WoD "Kindred of the East" for the martial arts stuff, except that it's probably even more broken rules-wise than the Street Fighter game could hope to.

Now do Changeling: The Dreaming sometime! It's non-stop stupid bullshit with a side-order of nonsensical rules.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
You guys should seriously do an article on the old Spelljammer setting, it would be a good laugh

(I love Spelljammer and I'm currently running a 4th Ed. game set in it, really it's awesome :ohdear: )

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Karl Rove posted:

You guys should seriously do an article on the old Spelljammer setting, it would be a good laugh

(I love Spelljammer and I'm currently running a 4th Ed. game set in it, really it's awesome :ohdear: )

I suggested Spelljammer a while ago.

(My DM slipped Spelljammer into a campaign once and it was totally worth it for all of the :gonk: looks on people's faces)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This series is fantastic and I hope it doesn't end any time soon. It's one of the few features I come back to read new installments of, even after reading the backlog.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
i actually have WTF D & D on my saved pages i love this series

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Street Fighter monster manual!

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/street-fighter-contenders.php

Wow, the art is just eye-bleedingly terrible this time. Great job guys, I laughed the most at this one out of all the ones so far. Hilarious!

WTF DnD posted:

Zack: Project GX-9 will produce the perfect super soldier incorporating all of the qualities of the world's deadliest fighters: speed, stamina, strength, and double F cup hooters.

Steve: You've got to admit, it was a pretty smart move making her legs twice as long as her body and head combined.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Haha this was the best WTF, DnD so far!

Awesome job.

quote:

Steve: Hey, look, I will be the first to say way to go to gays for being married. I'm all for it, you know? But, this dude is pretty gay

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Holy gently caress Bluegrass about killed me. I wonder where the franchise would've gone if they'd used the monster manual for their table top game to add in new fighters.

I mean, come on. Bluegrass. The Spanish Ninja with the brain of a 13 year old girl.

Jesus Christ.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I thought for sure Eric the Red So Fine's name must've been Photoshopped in. It's just... what train of logic could possibly end with that?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh god, I had this for some reason, and I never even played D&D. Among the characters not covered were a Hawaiian guy with the power of water, a fat old Chinese man who practices Tai Chi, a purple-skinned mentally retarded gangster, an amorphous Lovecraftian horror that wears a black robe and mask to appear human, a slug-man with the quote "Prepare to die, human microbe!", and a lizard-woman who wants to mate with capable fighters and breed half-human hybrids. I only wish I'd realized how terrible this all was at the time.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 24, 2009

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Laughed like hell at this:

quote:

Steve: My uncle was a Marine and he would walk around the house all the time saying "Oorah!" and not even knowing it. It wasn't loud like that Al Pacino movie where he's blind, he'd just be working on his car or out back digging a hole or something and he'd stop and wipe some sweat off his face and say, "Oorah." Even though he didn't know I was watching him out the window and nobody was around.

Zack: Yeah, I know the last time I was spying on my uncle and watching him do yard work I- what the gently caress is wrong with you, Steve? Were his gorgeous legs mesmerizing you?
Steve: No, he had a heart attack like a month earlier and I wanted to see if he had another one, but he didn't right then. He had one blowing out candles at a birthday party like two months later though and they got it on video which I think is illegal because he died from that heart attack, but not right then he died like three days later.

Zack: Maybe he wished he was dead.

Zack: Oorah!

Also, [inaudible whisper]

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

quote:

Steve: Remember that part in Star Wars where Darth Vader gets his hand cut off?

Zack: Yeah, I guess. They replaced it with a mechanical hand.

I'm very disappointed in you both. :colbert:

This book was amazing. I really didn't think there could be anything worse than those Rifts books, but this... it's like they got together a class full of third-graders, had them each make a SFII fan character, bound the sheets together and shoved it out the door.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sister Miyagi posted:

I'm very disappointed in you both. :colbert:

Vader got his hand cut off in the second prequel so technically they're right. :v:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

John Dyne posted:

Vader got his hand cut off in the second prequel so technically they're right. :v:

Pfft, that would mean including the prequels in canon, which I choose not to do. :smugbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't believe that art ever appeared in a professional book.

Also just saying I love every one of these updates.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
A lot of though clearly went into the backstories.

"Let's make a character from Kentucky."
"What is Kentucky known for?"
"Horses and bourbon."
"How about a guy who eats horses and drinks sour mash?"
"Okay, next character. How about a guy..."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

muscles like this? posted:

I can't believe that art ever appeared in a professional book.

You must not be very familiar with this industry.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

BlackTerror posted:

You must not be very familiar with this industry.

Truly, this book is a beacon of hope to aspiring artists looking for work.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

neoboman posted:

A lot of though clearly went into the backstories.

"Let's make a character from Kentucky."
"What is Kentucky known for?"
"Horses and bourbon."
"How about a guy who eats horses and drinks sour mash?"
"Okay, next character. How about a guy..."

It's based off of street fighter

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This is the best frontpage feature ever. And it just gets better! (Exception is WH40k because it will always be the best)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

bhlaab posted:

It's based off of street fighter

A game where a Russian man in a speedo grabbed a polar bear and jumped into a nearby tornado so he could suplex the bear better and where a very tan Japanese man punched out a US navy sub at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

The whole universe is meant to be absurd. I think 'horse meat and sour mash' is just on the low side of the absurdity.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I absolutely could not stop laughing at today's update. BRAVO!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think today's update was the best one of the series. Hilarious.

Totally lost it at Fish Jail.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This one was really incredible, guys. Well done.

Fake edit: Oh, right, don't they say to include a link to the article? WTF D&D finally meets Module S3.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Probably some of the best roleplaying this world will ever be graced with.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I love the half-assed job they did for the wizard on the cover. Torn sleeves, lovely wizard hat, lookin' kinda buff, swashbuckler gloves. Come on now.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Olanphonia posted:

Probably some of the best roleplaying this world will ever be graced with.

I agree. I hope they do more adventures like this in the future.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Lowtax posted:

I absolutely could not stop laughing at today's update. BRAVO!

Agreed, this was hysterical. Nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space

Wtf, DnD? posted:

Zack: You see a tree stump with a vagina and a weird rabbit sitting on top.

Steve: Oh no, I'm not falling for this one. I bet if go over there and try to ravish that tree stump hard that rabbit is gonna flip out on me or something.

Zack: Are you sure?

Steve: Well now you're making me second guess. What if my only way out is to stick my barbarian dorkus into a swamp stump's giant human genitals? What do I do?

Zack: You'd better decide quick! That stump is getting turned on!

Steve: Ahhh, I don't know what to do!

Zack: That is one horny stump. The rabbit is barking like crazy. There are birds swooping around. The whole jungle wants you to do that tree stump.

The harrowing vagina-stump scene had me on the edge of my seat! This is probably the pinnacle of an already great series. Wtf DnD owns.

• Locked thread