Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mystes posted:

One more try at my sequence:

I think this makes sense, and is very interesting because it does better than capturing one stone. Of course it's not as good a move as Argue's, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

helopticor posted:

I think this makes sense, and is very interesting because it does better than capturing one stone. Of course it's not as good a move as Argue's, but whatever.
I think you can probably take the group from Argue's move after at least most of my cases (I don't want to check the whole thing) but if you go with Argue's move black can block with G3 after to prevent my move :colbert:.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mystes posted:

I think you can probably take the group from Argue's move after at least most of my cases (I don't want to check the whole thing) but if you go with Argue's move black can block with G3 after to prevent my move :colbert:.

Well, in the cases in which the E3 group is all that you take, black can defend against Argue's move. and I think you don't remove enough territory to compensate for that. Therefore, if black plays the best moves (as far as I can see), your move is worse than Argue's (but still better than my guess which gets nothing).

mystes
May 31, 2006

helopticor posted:

Well, in the cases in which the E3 group is all that you take, black can defend against Argue's move. and I think you don't remove enough territory to compensate for that. Therefore, if black plays the best moves (as far as I can see), your move is worse than Argue's (but still better than my guess which gets nothing).
Oh well. Thanks for checking all my attempted solutions.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Well here's what actually happened:

White plays O4, ends up making the bottom a ko fight for seki or the kill; black responds to some ko threats he really shouldn't and ends up losing the entire bottom group.

There's also some action in other areas, but that was my game-winning approach. I guess the main definite thing is that black was wrong to pass.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Urban Renewal posted:

Well here's what actually happened:

White plays O4, ends up making the bottom a ko fight for seki or the kill; black responds to some ko threats he really shouldn't and ends up losing the entire bottom group.

There's also some action in other areas, but that was my game-winning approach. I guess the main definite thing is that black was wrong to pass.

You got the key point right but you missed the slam dunk :o:

cutting at J2 forces a reply at H2 - without this, white dies. Once this exchange gets made, though, black can play O4 and kill the black chain, since white has a shortage of liberties and can't play ko.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Bravo, Hels

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
GOonmeet at blendy's he said he would bake bread let's go

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Mez posted:

GOonmeet at blendy's he said he would bake bread let's go

I'll make pita bread. It's the only bread I know how to make. ITGOons only (and ITGOoon friends).

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Blendy posted:

I'll make pita bread. It's the only bread I know how to make. ITGOons only (and ITGOoon friends).

i am horny for said bread

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Mez, you're like the only one who might be able to make it to Blendy's.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Mez posted:

i am horny for said bread

helopticor posted:

Mez, you're like the only one who might be able to make it to Blendy's.

Something tells me it is not the bread that he is horny for.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Something tells me it is not the bread that he is horny for.

Goonmeet off. shut it down. everyone go home.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Go Love is the Best Love

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Guys I need to come out and tell you something. I'm so sorry.

I started playing chess again.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I just got back from a tournament that used Fischer clocks.

I lost all four of my games (including one by 2.5 or 3.5 to an 8 year old Japanese kid who played White with no komi), and Fischer clocks suck for go.

That said, I really need to take time away from this real-life Go to play on KGS more, since I probably don't play like a 14k anymore.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

God drat it Hestler

which one of you is hestler

Space Detective
Apr 24, 2007

Be with you in just a moment...
I've always wanted to learn but I am afraid of Go.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Space Detective posted:

I've always wanted to learn but I am afraid of Go.

So learn. The actual rules are very simple: much more straightforward than chess, for instance, and chess itself is really overestimated in this regard. At the beginning there's a really feeling of "Where the gently caress do I play, there's 361 spaces and they all look the same to me," and that can make you feel pretty silly, but that goes away faster than you expect.

Of course you're going to get your rear end beaten for the rest of your life: there's always going to be someone who can make you look stupid, but that goes for any game unless it has a serious luck component.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 18, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

This thread needs a bump.

I up'd this on request to ITGO but for those that don't go there:

http://www.scribd.com/full/20242524?access_key=key-1any1kot0jzk2fb991ov

That's my Joseki Library management paper. Yeah I cited Janice Kim, what are you gonna do about it?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Blendy posted:

This thread needs a bump.

I up'd this on request to ITGO but for those that don't go there:

http://www.scribd.com/full/20242524?access_key=key-1any1kot0jzk2fb991ov

That's my Joseki Library management paper. Yeah I cited Janice Kim, what are you gonna do about it?
I don't know anything about library management, but it's pretty cool that you were able to tie Joseki into it. Someone should write a paper (if no one has yet) as to why people playing Go see Go in everything.

Also, you misspelled "rote memorization".

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

helopticor posted:

I don't know anything about library management, but it's pretty cool that you were able to tie Joseki into it. Someone should write a paper (if no one has yet) as to why people playing Go see Go in everything.

Also, you misspelled "rote memorization".

ARG my editor didn't catch that!!!!!!!!!! I will now lose points :(

I don't know if I so much as Go in management theory as much as I saw management theory in Go.

(also I figured this would be an easy paper to bullshit!)

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
its really fun to tie go into absolutely everything, yeah. You can totally get away with it too

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Urban Renewal posted:

its really fun to tie go into absolutely everything, yeah. You can totally get away with it too

That really isn't limited to go, people do that to any hobby they're overly passionate about.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Go is so abstract I think that it invites analogy for context or maybe vice versa.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Soo a question for you smart sdk and ddk. Here's a game I played earlier tonight.

First I was all :smug: when he resigned. But upon further reflection, black's group at E7 is really in a pinch. Also white might be able to link up H11 and make a bee line for his D16 corner. Thoughts?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like black could play 157 G7 and maybe have a chance of either escaping or making eyespace with that group.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 27, 2009

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Blendy posted:

ARG my editor didn't catch that!!!!!!!!!! I will now lose points :(

I don't know if I so much as Go in management theory as much as I saw management theory in Go.

(also I figured this would be an easy paper to bullshit!)

Hope you're wrong about losing points because I noticed a couple dependent clauses and appositives that needed commas. :ssj: :ssj: :ssj:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

Hope you're wrong about losing points because I noticed a couple dependent clauses and appositives that needed commas. :ssj: :ssj: :ssj:

Nope, no joke. I got my paper back. Got an 8.5 out of 10. I lost .75 due to spelling and grammar. I need a new editor. The other .75 was due to my misunderstanding of APA style. Conceptually my paper was flaws

here's to library :science:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Does anybody have any book recommendations that are good for a mid-level kyu player, and that have a fair amount of discussion/theory (rather than being mostly board diagrams)?

I guess I'm looking for other books roughly in the same vein as Kageyama's "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", if any exist.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Blendy posted:

Nope, no joke. I got my paper back. Got an 8.5 out of 10. I lost .75 due to spelling and grammar. I need a new editor. The other .75 was due to my misunderstanding of APA style. Conceptually my paper was flaws

here's to library :science:

Aw, I didn't realize that this was the paper you were talking about in the chat/game. That sucks :(

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

h_double posted:

Does anybody have any book recommendations that are good for a mid-level kyu player, and that have a fair amount of discussion/theory (rather than being mostly board diagrams)?

I guess I'm looking for other books roughly in the same vein as Kageyama's "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", if any exist.

Otake Hideo's Opening theory. It's not overly wordy but it's totally all about discussion and theory. While the title suggests it's only about the opening things like good shape and attack & defense come up. It helped me better understand what I was reading in A&D.

pillowface posted:

Aw, I didn't realize that this was the paper you were talking about in the chat/game. That sucks

Yeah, sorry. I shouldn't have looked at the scored while we were playing, but it was my first paper of grad school. It was driving me insane and the only thing I could think of was getting on the phone and asking my dad why he thought I got a B. But hey, win for you! :)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Blendy posted:

Otake Hideo's Opening theory. It's not overly wordy but it's totally all about discussion and theory. While the title suggests it's only about the opening things like good shape and attack & defense come up. It helped me better understand what I was reading in A&D.

I already have that, thanks for reminding me about it. It's good.

Ishigure Ikuro's "In The Beginning" (from the Elementary Go Series) is another good one I should revisit.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

h_double posted:

I already have that, thanks for reminding me about it. It's good.

Ishigure Ikuro's "In The Beginning" (from the Elementary Go Series) is another good one I should revisit.

Which books do you have? I'll try to suggest around what you already have.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My go bookshelf and some brief thoughts:

The Magic of Go (Cho Chikun) - Was my introduction to the game years ago; good but very very basic, not much to see here.

The Second Book of Go - as the title suggests, a good introduction to strategy and fighting. Pretty basic but good for near-beginners.

EZ-GO (Bruce Wilcox) - pretty weird book, full of some goofy terminology but some good (fairly basic) information; I found this VERY helpful when I was first learning, especially the guidelines about links and creating live groups.

In The Beginning (Ishigure) - great discussion of openings, thickness, 3rd vs 4th line play, etc. I think I ought to reread this.

Lectures on Go Techniques - very good; written as sort of a workbook format which introduces a concept and then presents a few go problems on that theme

Opening Theory Made Easy - already mentioned, divided into "twenty strategic principles", great book

Lessons on the Fundamentals of Go (Kageyama) - awesome book that anyone who has gotten past the "first 50 games" level should absolutely read. Kageyama has an awesome attitude that goes back and forth between friendly & encouraging and tough sensei. This is a book that you have to put some effort into, but it's one of my favorite go books.

38 Basic Joseki - good I guess, but pretty specific; I'm not really at the point where studying joseki is the most interesting or useful topic for me

Appreciating Famous Games - it's interesting to read in short bursts, but it's pure gama analysis

The Direction of Play - I don't remember too much about this, although I recall some of it seeming a bit over my head (or at least too focused on detailed game analysis) at the time. Might be worth a revisit.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

h_double posted:

My go bookshelf and some brief thoughts:

BOOKS!!!

Well you're missing two key books that just about everyone agrees should be in everyone's library: "Tesuji" and "Attack and Defense"

edit:for bad typing skills

Blendy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 28, 2009

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Blendy posted:

"Tetsuji"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I didn't want to be the guy that picks out two typos so quickly, but Blendy you really do need a new editor, or at least a spell-checker that picks up "tetsuji".

mystes
May 31, 2006

There are worse mistakes than writing "tetsuji". For example, getting the title of a book you are publishing a translation of wrong comes to mind:

Opening Theory Made Easy posted:

originally published in Japanese by the Nihon Ki-in as:
Tsuyoku Naru Fuseki no Shintoku<- fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

ack I keep thinking it つ when it's す...I give up...anyone want to be my post editor?