Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just started playing Realms of Arkania, it looks great and all but how do I light up torches? I'm betting it's really simple and once I see how it works I'll hate myself for not figuring it out, but I just started the game and it's way too early to quit on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I just started playing Realms of Arkania, it looks great and all but how do I light up torches? I'm betting it's really simple and once I see how it works I'll hate myself for not figuring it out, but I just started the game and it's way too early to quit on it.

Torches and lanterns don't light automatically. You need a tinder box to light them.

dirtysoundfx
Nov 14, 2003

Blodskur posted:

The Strategy First promo has just started. If you buy all of their titles or complete their catalogue, you get 50% off. If you buy titles separate you get 20% off.

Well, now I have no excuse not to get Disciples II.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
You certainly don't! I loooved Disciples II. It's one of the only turn-based strategies that I beat entirely and still wanted more.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Disciples II is kind of like Heroes of Might & Magic, right?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

FLX posted:

except a darker atmosphere and ridiculously harder

but the basic gameplay elements are the same, yes

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

FLX posted:

Major difference is that Disciples II has a different form of combat. Think more the combat of Final fantasy, instead of the grid-based combat of HoMM. But yeah, Disciples II has awesome mood & artwork. I really hope they wont ruin that in Disciples III. :(

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I mean, Disciples combat is about as similar to Final Fantasy as it is to Heroes.

There are 6 slots in your army, arranged like this:

YX
YX
YX

normal creatures are sized X: some larger creatures are size YX

whatever creature is on the X is in front; creatures in the Y are 'behind' the creatures on the X, so they can't get hit by melee unless there's no melee in front.

It's a lot harder to explain than see, so here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6E632bHBo

(poor sound quality courtesy of youtube, not the game)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm having some problems starting the M&M rpgs, they're just way too many to just jump right into any one, so can anyone just give me a good starting party build? Oh and can I import saves?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Honest Thief posted:

I'm having some problems starting the M&M rpgs, they're just way too many to just jump right into any one, so can anyone just give me a good starting party build? Oh and can I import saves?

Yes, you can import your characters and saves from I-III. If you're going for canon, you'll want to start with the party you got Might and Magic I, II and III because they [story spoiler for future series] return in Might and Magic VII. Otherwise, a good build is to have one of each class and have all of their speed levels 15 or higher. Likewise, get their accuracy skills as high as possible because nothing will ruin your party faster than a creature that can curse the accuracy out of you. In addition, if you want an easier time through Might and Magic 1 & 2, make your party focus on one alignment and one gender.

For Might and Magic IV and V, the starting party you get is pretty good. I went through the game and didn't have any complaints about the preset party. I can't say much about Might and Magic VI because I haven't played it yet.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Entorwellian posted:

In addition, if you want an easier time through Might and Magic 1 & 2, make your party focus on one alignment and one gender.

Preferably evil and female, since that gives you a couple of small advantages in Might & Magic 1. There's actually an advantage to having a mixed party in M&M2: a few enemies can only be damaged by either males or females. You can just pick up some male hirelings to deal with that, though.

quote:

For Might and Magic IV and V, the starting party you get is pretty good. I went through the game and didn't have any complaints about the preset party. I can't say much about Might and Magic VI because I haven't played it yet.

VI's default party is fine too. You definitely want a Cleric and Sorcerer in your party, but you can replace the Archer or even the Paladin with a Druid if you want more magic: that gets you a very magic-heavy and somewhat fragile party. To make up for this, you could replace the other melee character with a Knight, although personally I'd rather have all my characters able to cast spells.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

except a darker atmosphere and ridiculously harder

but the basic gameplay elements are the same, yes

Really? I thought the Heroes campaigns were a lot harder. I would always get stuck in them and give up to do single scenarios, but in Disciples I never really got stuck.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FLX posted:

Not at all. It's dumbed down HoMM due to the simpler combat and also lack of in-depth town management.

Really awesome art style and it's a decent strategy game overall despite not having the depth/options of the HoMM games.

Satone
Feb 10, 2007
Good to the last drop
Just got Heroes of Might & Magic III here and I'm totally stoked to play it. DOWNLOAD FASTER DAMNIT. This game beats the hell out of HoMMV, with its horrible cheesy plotlines and lovely 3d graphics.

Disciples II is vaguely similar to HoMM on a much simpler scale. You recruit less units, manage less resources, gather less stuff, and generally do less of everything, while still being a turn-based fantasy campaign game. Don't get me wrong though, Disciples II is still a very good game, well worth playing.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed that they don't have Mechwarrior 4, here's hoping they pick it up

Satone fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2009

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Satone posted:

Edit: I'm a little disappointed that they don't have Mechwarrior 4, here's hoping they pick it up

It is supposedly getting released for free by https://www.mektek.net. How soon that will be is debatable.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I really wish they had Age of Wonders 1 & 2 now, they're the only turn based fantasy games I really got into.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For Disciples II, is there an automatic way to heal my entire party up at the end of a fight? If I resolve instantly, the AI is too dumb to leave one lame enemy behind long enough to heal everyone. Doing this at the end of practically every fight is annoying. Is there a way to heal using the party members when not in a fight that I don't know about?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

al-azad posted:

Torches and lanterns don't light automatically. You need a tinder box to light them.

Yeah I figured that much out by skimming over the manual and such. Now, let's say I'm in a dungeon, the first character in my party has a tinderbox and a torch. What do I do with them to make the loving place light up?

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Farquar posted:

You certainly don't! I loooved Disciples II. It's one of the only turn-based strategies that I beat entirely and still wanted more.

Can you give hints and tips and basically a "Disciples 2 Guide" for dummies like me because its seriously one of the hardest games i've ever played.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

odiv posted:

For Disciples II, is there an automatic way to heal my entire party up at the end of a fight? If I resolve instantly, the AI is too dumb to leave one lame enemy behind long enough to heal everyone. Doing this at the end of practically every fight is annoying. Is there a way to heal using the party members when not in a fight that I don't know about?

The Empire gets some nice global healing spells.

Other races are screwed in this respect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

Yeah I figured that much out by skimming over the manual and such. Now, let's say I'm in a dungeon, the first character in my party has a tinderbox and a torch. What do I do with them to make the loving place light up?

Make sure the torch/lantern and tinderbox are in the same character's inventory. Click on the lantern, right click to open the menu, click on "use." Viola.

I'm 99% positive you right clicked on the item's picture and tried to use it. I did the same thing too. You have to select items first by clicking them or else when you click on "use" you'll get a "nothing happens" pop up.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just a friendly reminder to anyone interested: The Strategy First sale ends tomorrow at "11:59 p.m. EDT".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

etalian posted:

The Empire gets some nice global healing spells.

Other races are screwed in this respect.
It just seems really stupid that I'm traveling with a healer who can heal several times a battle, no problem, but is useless at any other time.

I shouldn't have to fight the enemy down to a single goblin and then keep that goblin alive long enough to heal my entire party every drat time. If I don't do this, though, I'm handicapping myself. When I have to work against the game mechanics for the best obtainable result I get annoyed.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
New Hidden Gem of the Week Announced: Broken sword 2: The smoking mirror

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So, Mobile Forces was added to the coming soon list.

It looks like a fun little shooter with vehicles on the Unreal engine and holy gently caress I used to play that all the loving time HUUUUGE nostalgia rushhh.

Yeah, might check that out when they release it.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I picked up The Longest Journey. Is anyone else having trouble getting it to run in Windows 7? Running it fullscreen on my 1920x1200 screen results in a horribly stretched and pixelated picture, but running it in windowed mode gives all kinds of artifacts and terrible frame rates in the FMVs. I tried running it in XP Mode, but it lags like crazy.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Grey Area posted:

I picked up The Longest Journey. Is anyone else having trouble getting it to run in Windows 7? Running it fullscreen on my 1920x1200 screen results in a horribly stretched and pixelated picture, but running it in windowed mode gives all kinds of artifacts and terrible frame rates in the FMVs. I tried running it in XP Mode, but it lags like crazy.

I haven't run it on a new computer (I have the 4 cd version from waaayyyyy back) but you can get AA working on the 3d models at the 640x480 or whatever res it runs in by using some sort of modified exe. I don't know how to get the windowed mode working though.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

OptimusShr posted:

New Hidden Gem of the Week Announced: Broken sword 2: The smoking mirror

I was gonna pick this up a while ago but never did. Might as well do it this time. Do I miss anything/much by not having played the first? Also why is the first not on Gog?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

hogswallower posted:

I was gonna pick this up a while ago but never did. Might as well do it this time. Do I miss anything/much by not having played the first? Also why is the first not on Gog?

To answer the last question: Because there was a Nintendo DS release of the first game around the time the sequels went up GOG. It probably will be up at some point, but only after sales of the Nintendo DS version dry up.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

hogswallower posted:

The first one is really good (a lot better than the second one I thought) so I wouldn't skip it personally. I got both of them in this CD combo thing from gogamer (for like $18) but I just found out Sold-Out Software has their own store where they're selling the pack for £4.88!
http://www.mastertronic.com/productlist.asp?productLabelID=1&mainstyle=somain
Not as good of a deal if you're in the US but after the £3~ in shipping it'll still only be a little more expensive than if GOG got the first one up.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I haven't run it on a new computer (I have the 4 cd version from waaayyyyy back) but you can get AA working on the 3d models at the 640x480 or whatever res it runs in by using some sort of modified exe. I don't know how to get the windowed mode working though.
It should be in one of the ini files. I would give you more detail if I could but I haven't played this game in a while. All I know is that there is a windowed mode.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

They just released Imperial Glory, which appears to be like the Total War games, for $5.99. IGN gave it 8.5 points while GameSpot only gave 6.7.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Can you give hints and tips and basically a "Disciples 2 Guide" for dummies like me because its seriously one of the hardest games i've ever played.

Shoot, I would but it's probably been five years since I played it and don't really remember many specifics about it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New release: the incredible machine mega pack for :10bux:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Charlie Mopps posted:

What, no Incredible Toons?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Instant purchase! I only played the first Incredible Machine at a friend's place way back and always wanted more. =)

On an unrelated note: I just found my old copy of "Incubation - Time is running out", which I bought at the end of the nineties and which never worked on any machine - until now! Somehow it plays perfectly fine on my notebook :) This is another game which GOG should snatch up (if not the whole Blue Byte catalog altogether).

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 1, 2009

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Honestly, how good is Gothic 1?

Gothic 2 may be my favorite 3rd person RPG of all time, but I've never picked up the first because I always thought that it wouldn't stand up to 2 and I'd be disappointed.

I think I just need someone to really sell it to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Theli posted:

Honestly, how good is Gothic 1?

Gothic 2 may be my favorite 3rd person RPG of all time, but I've never picked up the first because I always thought that it wouldn't stand up to 2 and I'd be disappointed.

I think I just need someone to really sell it to me.

If you liked Gothic 2 it is physically impossible not to like Gothic 1. I can't sell it to you any harder than that. In terms of how they play they're both practically the same game but Gothic 1's game world is smaller but the setting itself is cooler.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

al-azad posted:

If you liked Gothic 2 it is physically impossible not to like Gothic 1. I can't sell it to you any harder than that. In terms of how they play they're both practically the same game but Gothic 1's game world is smaller but the setting itself is cooler.

Yeah the game world is "tighter" in both actual size and scope of the plot. You'll have to get over a pretty different UI, but after that you'll feel right at home. The story is a lot cooler in G1 where to me the story in G2 is a bit generic-yawn-RPG, though the settings are very much the same. G1 is maybe more ruthless than G2 which is something you might actually enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Charlie Mopps posted:

Well drat I guess it's time to refill the ol' Paypal again already. It's rather disappointing not seeing Incredible Toons/Toon Machine in there, but then again TIM 3.0 was always my favourite of the bunch.

Now I wish I'd saved all those puzzles I made offhandedly over the years. :( I came up with some pretty devious poo poo.