Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PulsarD
Aug 7, 2003
Premium
Biscuit Hider
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. 86k miles on it. I paid 8k. Its got pretty much every option jeep had to put into it. I posted pics halfway down page 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

PulsarD posted:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. 86k miles on it. I paid 8k. Its got pretty much every option jeep had to put into it. I posted pics halfway down page 65.

Oh that Jeep. Sorry. :sweatdrop:

Considering how much free repair you're getting, yeah, the deal keeps getting better.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

a handful of dust posted:

Got sold out from under me. gently caress.

Did they not make FSJ's in as large numbers or what? I've been looking for a decent example for weeks now, and nothing. I'm about to just say gently caress it and buy an XJ or a K5 Blazer or something.

Late 70s were the heyday, but still not that popular. About the only thing going for them numbers wise was total produced over a long lifetime.
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/fsjprod.html

IFSJA.org is a pretty awesome resource.

I scour craigslist for them a lot and they pop up every now and again. And stay listed for a while because I guess nobody really wants one. If you have your heart set on one, keep at it. If you just want something to wheel with, probably best to just pick up what's available.

They are pretty hard to search for though. FSJ Cherokees are impossible to find because of all the XJs. And they changed the name from Wagoneer to Grand Wagoneer when they came out with the XJ Wagoneer. Then they had the ZJ Grand Wagoneer in '93. There were a bunch of J truck models, most of which aren't listed by the model name and get lumped in with MJ when searching for "Jeep pickup". And if you just search for "Jeep" you get all Wranglers and CJs and XJs, along with Scouts, FJs, old Broncos, and every old rusted-out non-running shitbox "will trade for Jeep". Ugh.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Late 70s were the heyday, but still not that popular. About the only thing going for them numbers wise was total produced over a long lifetime.
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/fsjprod.html

IFSJA.org is a pretty awesome resource.

I scour craigslist for them a lot and they pop up every now and again. And stay listed for a while because I guess nobody really wants one. If you have your heart set on one, keep at it. If you just want something to wheel with, probably best to just pick up what's available.

They are pretty hard to search for though. FSJ Cherokees are impossible to find because of all the XJs. And they changed the name from Wagoneer to Grand Wagoneer when they came out with the XJ Wagoneer. Then they had the ZJ Grand Wagoneer in '93. There were a bunch of J truck models, most of which aren't listed by the model name and get lumped in with MJ when searching for "Jeep pickup". And if you just search for "Jeep" you get all Wranglers and CJs and XJs, along with Scouts, FJs, old Broncos, and every old rusted-out non-running shitbox "will trade for Jeep". Ugh.

Craigslist really needs a way to sort by year ranges when searching for cars.

I've found a few, but they're either rusted out shitboxes I'd need to tow home, or trucks that have been hacked up by some redneck idiot.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know the difference between Nevada and California smog requirements? I found a really nice Cherokee in Vegas, passes smog in Nevada and the dude has the certificate; if I bring this into CA should it pass here, or will I be spending hundreds of dollars outfitting it with more emissions bullshit?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

a handful of dust posted:

Craigslist really needs a way to sort by year ranges when searching for cars.

I've found a few, but they're either rusted out shitboxes I'd need to tow home, or trucks that have been hacked up by some redneck idiot.

That would be great, but I bet a lot of people rely on completely unspecific and vague titles and inclusive search results to sell crap. Craigslist is honestly pretty crappy, but you get what you pay for and it's at least worth that. I think I found mine by searching for "197* Jeep" when wildcards still worked.

I mostly lucked out on mine but I see others in about the same condition and price range when I look hard enough.

I hope one day I can get my J10 with a Gladiator grill.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That would be great, but I bet a lot of people rely on completely unspecific and vague titles and inclusive search results to sell crap. Craigslist is honestly pretty crappy, but you get what you pay for and it's at least worth that. I think I found mine by searching for "197* Jeep" when wildcards still worked.

I missed an almost fully restored 79 Cherokee because the guy had it listed under "Cheroke Cheif" and I was searching for "Cherokee" :(

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I missed out on a 79 Cheif too with intact quarters and rockers for $800. I started bookmarking specific searches with the wildcards after that. drat you misspellings!

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
If anyone wants to steal my CJ do it now before I put a lock on! No key required is fun, but no steering wheels seems like an even better solution.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old ignition cylinder out from this point. Thats the turn signal switch hanging from the wire harness out of the column. You're supposed to compress a lock on this style. None of the guides online show this style. Maybe I'm just being too gentle and should just tear it out with pliers, but I'm afraid of breaking the plastic which will hold the new one in.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I've broken down and decided to get some GPS going. Essentially the Jeep Trail Guide but on the cheap.

Got a Garmin Quest2 kit for a Toyota FJ Cruiser for $140
The Trail Guide panel/connector/cover for $125

As seen here:
http://rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=51070

The neat thing about the kit for the FJ is the quest2 is a dark gray instead of that weird gold color. Looks factory.

I can't believe that thing is still 560-800 dollars.

I found the most information on the quest 2 on Motorcycle forums. I like that it's portable and easily fits in pockets.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 24, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

hit me with that pdf.

tech11 at gmail dot com

If you find a place to get the factory looking switches I'll get a few as well.

I can't find it at home, I must have it on a backup somewhere but I don't have time to find it.

This seems to be a complete online version :

http://commercialcontrols.eaton.com/VCBU/catalog/index.html

This vendor sells everything from that catalog, but you have to set up an account I believe:

http://www.wesgarde.com/

I have to use the dimensions from the eaton catalog and fabricate a control panel that will allow me to snap in some control buttons for my new lockers.

I know that each eaton line of switches kind of snaps together like lego bricks, so you can build your own switch cluster really easily. The downside is you're paying around 15-25$ per switch with the light and silk screened artwork.

I want to get the rabbit and turtle one for the high idle switch for the winch :3:

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

This dude makes pretty sweet switch panels and whatnot: http://www.12voltguy.com/web/

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Paulie posted:

This dude makes pretty sweet switch panels and whatnot: http://www.12voltguy.com/web/

That guy's awesome, he made up a few custom control panels for some of my friends.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 25, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
So I think my exhaust manifold is cracked.

Click here for the full 752x500 image.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

It's on my 89 RENIX rig. What's the cheapest way to fix it? Braze it? Buy an aftermarket one from NAPA? I don't want to upgrade to an expensive header or anything.

Oh by the way, this is all before the O2 sensor, and I still got 20 MPG on my last fillup.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Probable brake issue (I hope) in an '01 XJ. The southeast is still largely flooded, and I hit about 10" of water too drat fast yesterday. Ever since, I get a bad vibration from what feel like the front left brake when below 25MPH or so, worsening as it decelerates. I'm tempted to say that the frequency is high enough at speed that it's unnoticeable, leading me to believe that isn't not a warped rotor. It doesn't pull at all. I've done ~140 miles of highway driving in the meantime.

Am I looking at a brake issue here, or something worse (please no water ingested elsewhere)? And on that note, which are the AI-endorsed Jeep pads/rotor - Napa Gold or somesuch?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

OneOverZero posted:

Am I looking at a brake issue here, or something worse (please no water ingested elsewhere)? And on that note, which are the AI-endorsed Jeep pads/rotor - Napa Gold or somesuch?

Hawk LTS are the best I've come across. I put them on my 00 XJ and it stops much better towing my boat now.

Regarding your water problem - Is your splash guard thing still intact (black curtain that dangles beneath the engine)? 10" of water isn't all that much. Your snorkel is behind one of your headlights so there certainly isn't any water in your intake from a 10" puddle.

If you have a floor jack, jack it up and spin the front tires a bit and see if you hear/feel anything.

That sounds an awful lot like a warped rotor which is probably possible if you were doing heavy braking (heating the rotor substantially) then dunked it into a lot of water suddenly.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I'd pull apart the brakes and inspect everything, because you could have warped or cracked several things. I've never had that happen to me or anyone I know, but you know what can happen when hot parts hit water.

Hopefully your wheel bearing didn't swallow water.

Most people recommend Hawk LTS or EBC Yellow pads. I've been using Adaptive One ceramics (NAPA) and like them a lot. No dust, no noise, and great stopping.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey dudes, So I've got sort of a multi-part question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. Last week there was a string of break ins around my neighborhood, my XJ was one of they unlucky ones. They broke into my car through the vent glass driver-side window and took a lovely gps and my radar detector. Oh loving well. The next day I went to class and some fucker broke in again and took my cd deck, before I even had a chance to get my window fixed. Anyway now I've repaired my window and I was hoping ya'll would have suggestions for alarm systems. I'm looking for something cheap - I'm willing to buy an actually alarm system even though I believe a simple blinking LED would detour potential criminals. Should I buy a $99 off Crutchfield and have it installed? Suggestions?

Part two:
Long story short I hit a car a while ago while sliding on ice. The damage is to the passenger front side. It bent the bumper a bit, fender flair, and took out the side blinker. It doesn't seem that significant to me however it totaled my car ($2700). gently caress that. I was thinking just buy a brushguard to cover up the damage because that would only run me around $200. I've done some browsing, but google isn't really helping me out finding a good selection of brushguards. Tomorrow, when I get around to it I'll take some photographs of the damage, hopefully you (who know more than me) could give me some advice to making my XJ not look as lovely anymore.

TL;DR
I need suggestions on alarm systems and a brushguard for an '96 XJ.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey dudes, So I've got sort of a multi-part question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. Last week there was a string of break ins around my neighborhood, my XJ was one of they unlucky ones. They broke into my car through the vent glass driver-side window and took a lovely gps and my radar detector. Oh loving well. The next day I went to class and some fucker broke in again and took my cd deck, before I even had a chance to get my window fixed. Anyway now I've repaired my window and I was hoping ya'll would have suggestions for alarm systems. I'm looking for something cheap - I'm willing to buy an actually alarm system even though I believe a simple blinking LED would detour potential criminals. Should I buy a $99 off Crutchfield and have it installed? Suggestions?

Personally, with off road vehicles, I'd buy a GPS, stereo and radar detector that's removable. And keep that poo poo out of the truck if you aren't in it.

On my old XJ I took out the cd deck and CB every time I got out of the truck. I had a tuffy vault box and sometimes tossed and locked the goods in there out off site. The CB always stayed out unless I was going on the trail.

On my diesel, I got a alpine with a removable face plate. Nothing stays in the truck when it's parked. The Ham radio/CB and GPS is removed when parked or just street driving. It's a hassle but they'll move onto easier pray. Alarms are useless noisemakers.

Wait until you got to a motorsport event or live out in wheeling country and catch guys trying to steal your shocks or light bar. :v:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cherokee/Tuffy/security-storage.htm

As for XJ front bumpers/brush guards I like these:

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?cid=4&jeep-sid=256&plID=656

I like road armor as well:

(:doh: /edit every jeep but XJ )

http://www.roadarmor.com/site/

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 29, 2009

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Is there a buyer's guide somewhere for looking at Jeeps, specifically the early- to mid-nineties XJ Cherokee? Obviously the basics like rust and maintenance (timing belt - 150k or so?), anything else "special" or unique to the Cherokee that a prospective buyer should keep an eye out for?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
:eng101: Luckily, the 2.5L and 4.0L engines have timing chains.

I can't think of anything other than checking for rust, stresses in the unibody, hammered suspension components and visible damage from the PO stump-jumping it. The engine, tranny and transfer case are plenty durable enough to withstand all but the most severe abuse and negligence. When I was checking mine out, all I could find was a tweaked lower control arm (probably from a rock) but it wasn't anything major.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Vehicle in question:
1992 XJ 4wd

I had a flat tire recently and got ahold of a replacement. What I didn't realize was that the other three tires are probably 75% worn. I know I have a limited slip diff in the rear and I shouldn't put it there, but would it be okay to put it on the front? Is there any type of locker in the stock front axle?

I would buy two new tires but unfortunately they don't make them anymore and it was hard as hell just to find the one. They are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires in size P235/70R15.

Am I going to do damage running a new tire on the front with 3 worn ones? Oh, and the spare is some other oddball tire so that's a no-go as well.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
I recently purchased an '05 TJ (Willys Edition, if that matters) and am doing minor work to fix some minor cosmetic defects it had when I purchased it (most notably on the front end, it looks like someone grabbed a winch hook and proceeded to swing it, not realizing that it was hitting the grill and taking a small chunk of paint out every time...)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the name of the part that goes between the bumper and the grille (shown in this picture). I kind of want to call it a bumper cover, but I know that that's entirely wrong.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

grnberet2b posted:

I recently purchased an '05 TJ (Willys Edition, if that matters) and am doing minor work to fix some minor cosmetic defects it had when I purchased it (most notably on the front end, it looks like someone grabbed a winch hook and proceeded to swing it, not realizing that it was hitting the grill and taking a small chunk of paint out every time...)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the name of the part that goes between the bumper and the grille (shown in this picture). I kind of want to call it a bumper cover, but I know that that's entirely wrong.

I have one off my LJ you can have if you'll pay shipping. PM me. Unless you're gonna get a winch then a winch plate will cover that.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 30, 2009

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

RexSS345 posted:

Vehicle in question:
1992 XJ 4wd

I had a flat tire recently and got ahold of a replacement. What I didn't realize was that the other three tires are probably 75% worn. I know I have a limited slip diff in the rear and I shouldn't put it there, but would it be okay to put it on the front? Is there any type of locker in the stock front axle?

I would buy two new tires but unfortunately they don't make them anymore and it was hard as hell just to find the one. They are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires in size P235/70R15.

Am I going to do damage running a new tire on the front with 3 worn ones? Oh, and the spare is some other oddball tire so that's a no-go as well.

You probably won't have a problem unless it's full time 4wd and fully locked all the time? I've got a donut as the stock spare in my 2000 XJ (takes up less trunk room). If you only use 4wd when the driving surface is slick it won't matter a bit. The front diff has to slip in order to turn smoothly anyway in 2wd.

If they are 75% worn it's probably getting time to replace them all before winter comes.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

BigKOfJustice posted:

I like road armor as well:

(:doh: /edit every jeep but XJ )

http://www.roadarmor.com/site/

Holy poo poo, I can't imagine ever spending $1,500 for a bumper. I realize it's not just a bumper, but that's still insane.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

fordham posted:

You probably won't have a problem unless it's full time 4wd and fully locked all the time? I've got a donut as the stock spare in my 2000 XJ (takes up less trunk room). If you only use 4wd when the driving surface is slick it won't matter a bit. The front diff has to slip in order to turn smoothly anyway in 2wd.

If they are 75% worn it's probably getting time to replace them all before winter comes.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I wish I could afford 4 new ones right now but I've been jobless most of the summer (pity party) and it's a bit tight. I still have probably an eighth of an inch to the wear bars, so I'll tough it out. Plus, my new drive to work is about 90 seconds. Wish me luck.

Also, what is a reasonable price to have a tire mounted and balanced?

Also x2, can perimeter wheel weights (like this: http://ceh.typepad.com/.a/6a011168d14e29970c01157097f5f1970b-320pi) be responsible for a slow leak? 3 out of 4 of my tires need to have 5 psi or so added every few days and once when I was parked with the wheel weight at the very bottom and the pressure a bit low to start with I could hear air escaping from around it. Should I have the tire place pull all the tires off the wheels and re-balance them with stick on weights?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've owned my wrangler for three years and when I bought it, the tires were too big to fit on the rear hitch so the dealer set me up with a welder who fashioned a pretty nice extended hitch so my 5th wheel could fit on the back door. Over time the hitch has become less stable and I'm looking for a reliable way to replace it with a better hitch or even another rear bumper config. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. (I drive a 2003 btw)

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 12, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Philip J Fry posted:

:eng101: Luckily, the 2.5L and 4.0L engines have timing chains.

Anyone know if this is true for the JKs 3.8L as well?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
The 3.8 has a timing chain.

RexSS345 posted:

3 out of 4 of my tires need to have 5 psi or so added every few days and once when I was parked with the wheel weight at the very bottom and the pressure a bit low to start with I could hear air escaping from around it.

I can't say that I've ever owned a set of truck tires that didn't have at least one tire start a slow leak every year or so. I don't know if the weights start the issue, but it's usually just that the bead needs to be reseated.

If you're lucky enough to have a Les Schwab around your parts, they'll usually reseat the bead and replace the valve stem for free. If you want them rebalanced, it's $50 for all four. Pretty hard to beat that deal.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

incredibull posted:

If you're lucky enough to have a Les Schwab around your parts, they'll usually reseat the bead and replace the valve stem for free. If you want them rebalanced, it's $50 for all four. Pretty hard to beat that deal.
Never heard of Les Schwab (sounds like an investment broker!), looked online, closest one is 1300+ miles away! I'd assume the other wheel/tire megastores in my area (Discount Tire) would be about the same price. Thanks for the info!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Lift kit installed. RE 3.5 Superflex.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Veeb0rg posted:

Lift kit installed. RE 3.5 Superflex.

You wont be disappointed. RE makes the best kits for the XJ in my opinion. I have the same kit along with some other stuff on mine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I've owned my XJ for three years and when I bought it, the tires were too big to fit on the rear hitch so the dealer set me up with a welder who fashioned a pretty nice extended hitch so my 5th wheel could fit on the back door. Over time the hitch has become less stable and I'm looking for a reliable way to replace it with a better hitch or even another rear bumper config. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. (I drive a 2003 XJ btw)

Regarding your 2003 XJ - You're the only one in the world with one. The XJ's last year was 2001.

A picture would be helpful to sort out exactly what you are referring to. When I hear "hitch" I always think of the steel bar you attach the trailer ball (or bike rack, or whatever) to. Is this how your spare tire is attached?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Frag Viper posted:

You wont be disappointed. RE makes the best kits for the XJ in my opinion. I have the same kit along with some other stuff on mine.

Yeah, its why I chose it, them leaf packs are stiff as hell brand new though.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Ordered some soft upper sliders for the half doors (380+free shipping at carparts.com). Went ahead and started loving with the half doors in preparation.

If anybody else here wants slider uppers, now's the time. Carparts.com has them on sale down to $350 now, still with free shipping if you use the code "SAVE". My soft uppers are pretty worn out and winter's coming, so I hope these are the ticket.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Veeb0rg posted:

Yeah, its why I chose it, them leaf packs are stiff as hell brand new though.

You can alleviate that a bit by taking some torque/lbs out of the shackles and parking on a ricer rock or something overnight.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Philip J Fry posted:

You can alleviate that a bit by taking some torque/lbs out of the shackles and parking on a ricer rock or something overnight.

Was thinking of a few big bags of playground sand in the cargo area for a bit would help things along

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

If anybody else here wants slider uppers, now's the time. Carparts.com has them on sale down to $350 now, still with free shipping if you use the code "SAVE". My soft uppers are pretty worn out and winter's coming, so I hope these are the ticket.

GODDAMNIT!

They are awesome.

My only complaint is I can't stow em behind the front seats with the half hard top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

GODDAMNIT!

They are awesome.

My only complaint is I can't stow em behind the front seats with the half hard top.

Have you had them rained on yet? I heard from some people that they can leak. That would suck because they're my last step in winterizing my Jeep.