Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

there ya go (EDIT photos.cx blows but this was a picture of two human hands clapping together)

is there some reason you're set on synthesizing your own handclaps instead of just messing with handclap samples from drum machines?

stun runner fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

awdio posted:

I'm not interested in sampling. I just want to make them.

SonicCharge MicroTonic is about the best sounding software Drummachine I've found, Waldorf Attack can make some pretty nice claps as well. Goldbaby is probably the best I've heard if you want sampled claps from drummachines. Or you could grab a mic and record some real handclaps. If all else fails, get yourself an analog drum machine.

If none of those options are working then maybe you should be looking more into distortion/bitcrushing/EQing and perhaps a transient designer-style plugin to get what you're after.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

stun runner posted:

is there some reason you're set on synthesizing your own handclaps instead of just messing with handclap samples from drum machines?

Just for originalities sake. I've edited so many snare hits, etc from drum machines and I'm starting to run out of unique sounds. Recently I just recorded someone's drum set, so I plenty of snares.

Meatsplosion posted:

SonicCharge MicroTonic is about the best sounding software Drummachine I've found, Waldorf Attack can make some pretty nice claps as well. Goldbaby is probably the best I've heard if you want sampled claps from drummachines. Or you could grab a mic and record some real handclaps. If all else fails, get yourself an analog drum machine.

If none of those options are working then maybe you should be looking more into distortion/bitcrushing/EQing and perhaps a transient designer-style plugin to get what you're after.

I might just record my own and mess with them. I guess what I'm really trying to look for is some method of taking a piece of a wave form and adding a delay under it and adding noise underneath, just for an example.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

awdio posted:

I might just record my own and mess with them. I guess what I'm really trying to look for is some method of taking a piece of a wave form and adding a delay under it and adding noise underneath, just for an example.

Ableton Sampler does that stuff very well. You can even use frequency/amplitude modulation on a sample, and things like that.

breaks
May 12, 2001

awdio posted:

Synthesizing an 808 or 909 clap is pretty simple. Retrigger an AD envelope with very short attack and fairly short decay several times in quick succession, it's 3 or 4 on the 808/909. Use that to gate some filtered white noise (some kind of simple highpass on the 808/909 iirc). Then run that into the worst pseudo-reverb you can find. You don't want something epic, just a small, noisy room to smooth and glue this fairly lovely noise sound together. Fiddle with parameters until you have something in the neighborhood of an 808 clap.

Obviously you can go hog wild making variations on it once you have the basic idea working.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

breaks posted:

Synthesizing an 808 or 909 clap is pretty simple. Retrigger an AD envelope with very short attack and fairly short decay several times in quick succession, it's 3 or 4 on the 808/909. Use that to gate some filtered white noise (some kind of simple highpass on the 808/909 iirc). Then run that into the worst pseudo-reverb you can find. You don't want something epic, just a small, noisy room to smooth and glue this fairly lovely noise sound together. Fiddle with parameters until you have something in the neighborhood of an 808 clap.

Obviously you can go hog wild making variations on it once you have the basic idea working.

Thanks, I'm onto this. I'm going to experiment for a while and if I come out with anything great I'll post it here.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
I haven't worked on anything in about two years (since my 'band' broke up), but was recently inspired to try a little drum and bass. This is a rough mix, and yeah, the scratching at the beginning goes on for too long, but I'd still like some feedback.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
A clap is basically a bunch of quick noise hits with a little reverb tail.

White noise with two parallel bandpass filters, one in the lowish mids and one in the treble, will give you a good base for a synthesized clap. Experiment with the frequencies! You should use an envelope for the volume with a very short attack time, decay & sustain time of about the same length, sustain volume around 30-50% and release to taste (I usually use a little reverb on a very short release). You could either do what was suggested earlier, retriggering that very quickly a couple of times, or if your synth is flexible enough for this, you could route a downsaw LFO onto the volume. You'd have to use an envelope on the LFO amplification to only modulate it during the first few ms of the clap, just three or four iterations.

Experiment with modulating the filter cutoffs and resonance to change the character of the noise, fiddle with the decay and sustain length to place the clap in your mix — a longer clap might blend into other percussion, a shorter clap might isolate the hit a bit more. Move the clap forward or backward in time to change how it interacts with the groove.

The good thing about synthsizing your own claps is that you have all this control over so many different aspects of the sound, use that to your advantage.

Btw, most of this can be done with a regular sample as well: just send it through a long, dense reverb with low dry out and modulate the output from that as if it were an oscillator.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Here's a zip of three claps I came up with. And even know I could probably use these for something, it's not exactly what I want. I know if I keep only playing around, I'll get it eventually.

Thanks. Feel free to use these.

http://www.mysterysystem.com/wtf/claps.zip

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Holy shittttt anyone try protrig yet?
http://www.centipeak.com/protrig/
Check out the video.
Trying it out just for hand drumming and it'll take some tweaking and more than two mics to get it good, but god drat.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For y'all Mac people who are used to nickeling and diming anyway:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kore/the-finger/?content=983

(the rest of us have dBlue Glitch :v: )

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

mezzir posted:

Holy shittttt anyone try protrig yet?
http://www.centipeak.com/protrig/
Check out the video.
Trying it out just for hand drumming and it'll take some tweaking and more than two mics to get it good, but god drat.

Oh my god... time for me to go out and make a cheap fake drum kit and just use Pro Trig because this sounds awesome. I'm sold.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

awdio posted:

Oh my god... time for me to go out and make a cheap fake drum kit and just use Pro Trig because this sounds awesome. I'm sold.

That video wasn't very impressive until it got to the table drumming. Amazing :monocle:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

That video wasn't very impressive until it got to the table drumming. Amazing :monocle:

I've tried it and I only have two mics so I can't get anything that in depth or anything but I was able to get a setup working pretty reliably for a kick hat and snare. lovely like $5 mic on the floor for the kick, sensitivity really low so I literally hit it with my foot to trigger it, boom mic over my desk so the mic's like an inch from the desk, use the desk as the snare, and hit the boom for the hat/ride/whatever. Definitely gonna start checking out tag sales for cheap mics and whatnot now. Or anyone know anyways to macguyver up microphones from household parts etc?

edit: also, track I started an hour ago or so

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

Or anyone know anyways to macguyver up microphones from household parts etc?

Er, I think you can technically use pairs of headphones/earbuds as microphones, but the output is ridiculously quiet/low-quality. Might work as a trigger, I suppose.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

Er, I think you can technically use pairs of headphones/earbuds as microphones, but the output is ridiculously quiet/low-quality. Might work as a trigger, I suppose.

Ooooh poo poo true. Yeah and it just needs to have input, quality doesn't matter in the slightest. Also that would mean I could (if I can get it to work) turn two pairs of lovely earbuds I have into 4 drum triggers. Yessssssssss(maybe).

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

mezzir posted:

Ooooh poo poo true. Yeah and it just needs to have input, quality doesn't matter in the slightest. Also that would mean I could (if I can get it to work) turn two pairs of lovely earbuds I have into 4 drum triggers. Yessssssssss(maybe).

Let me know if that works reasonably well. I suspect the velocities it calculates are going to be poo poo using such low quality "microphones", but if it works out ok it'll be a really cheap way to get a drum controller.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
A friend of mine pressed me into remixing Terra's theme from final fantasy 6 last night, and well a day later here's what I have.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

mezzir posted:

edit: also, track I started an hour ago or so

I like it, very Giorgio Morodesque :)

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
What I'm really looking for is a great book and/or website that would give me more information on what specific audio terms mean. With the software out there, I'm almost overwhelmed with the different options and i'd like a little more information on what different types of effects do. I find myself just turning knobs until I hear something I like instead of actually knowing what I'm doing to the frequencies. I saw the Dance Music Manual in the OP and am interested in picking it up. Does this go over some basic audio stuff for someone without much of a background in it? Or are there any resources I should be looking at?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I don't know either.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

mezzir posted:

I don't know either.

Pretty cool, not really electronic asides from that one synth though. Drums are pretty lush, and the mixdown works. I'd just say that the arrangement of the guitars could be more subtle, right now it jumps straight to the peak and it could build more.

Two new tunes up:
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/videotape-stranger-song-mix
Remixing a Darkstar track.

http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/head-wind
Making kinda creepy house music.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Remixing Luther Vandross. As usual, I don't know either. And as usual, I think its started out pretty sick.
edit: newer fuller version up

mezzir fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SkandalousPanda posted:

What I'm really looking for is a great book and/or website that would give me more information on what specific audio terms mean.

http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php

quote:

I find myself just turning knobs until I hear something I like instead of actually knowing what I'm doing to the frequencies.
You're doing nothing with frequencies unless you mess with the filters (cutting them out) or change the oscillator waveform.

There are different types of synthesizers. The most common you'll find (because it's the cheapest to make) is subtractive; the audio equivalent of starting with a rough-hewn block of marble and then removing everything that doesn't resemble Michaelangelo's David.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mr.Tophat posted:

I need an audio interface as well, and I am completely lost as to which one to buy. From what I've read, it's advisable to get an audio interface over a soundcard due to cables and the quality of the device. I'm using Vista on a pretty powerful laptop, and I'll be using Cubase and Reason. I'm not sure about my budget on this, as I don't know what exactly I need from an audio interface. I'm playing synths in a metal band, and I would be connecting into a mixer.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this as well, but I can provide some more details on my specific situation. I'm looking for a 2-out (more is cool, but optional) interface that I could use now on my desktop to learn DJing and could later hook to my laptop via USB if I ever become good enough to try playing at a party or something. Both systems use Windows 7 (virtually anything that works with Vista will work with 7), and I'm looking to use http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro.html as my control surface. I'd want the interface to either come with alternative software or work with the Torq LE software that comes with the X-Session Pro. Finally, I am attempting to keep my budget close to $100, definitely not exceeding $200.

I understand that people may not know offhand what would qualify here, but I do have a couple examples I've seen but am not sure about :

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/audio-2-dj/?page=913 The Audio 2 DJ seems to be exactly what I'm looking for - two stereo outputs via USB for $100. My one question is, will it work with Windows 7?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245507 The Lexicon Alpha seems excellent too, but the very first review says that it has issues with Vista.

Does anyone know of a site where I could more effectively do research than just Googling every device that looks promising, or have a specific device to recommend?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

Remixing Luther Vandross. As usual, I don't know either. And as usual, I think its started out pretty sick.

This is sick, man. Love it.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Been following this thread since it started. This is the result

Would really love some feedback

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh man, I just got a wild hair up my rear end and pulled my Akai S2800 setup out of the closet.

Goodbye afternoon.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

mezzir posted:

I think you might just be fatigued on this sound, dude, because this is really good. I normally don't dig the style, but this is really drawing somehow. I think it's all the sexy arpeggios, and of course Mr. Vandross' voice. The last big drop would be a total floor killer, hands in the air and all that poo poo.

ShoodZ posted:

Feedback: Send that poo poo out to be mastered and pressed. Maybe shorten the intro a bar or 4, it feels like a long wait. Some of the lfo movements feel unnaturally on beat (quantized I assume) but I feel differently about whether that's better or worse than the alternative with each listen. I'd buy it if I ran across it in a bin, though, just as is.

My poo poo of late

It's a first take and has serious issues, not least of which being 7+ minutes long, but I'd still love a bit of feed on it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

evilocity posted:

It's a first take and has serious issues, not least of which being 7+ minutes long, but I'd still love a bit of feed on it.

Kick rattles a bit much for my liking - start generally feels quite hollow. You're on the right track, it's just a bit bare. Maybe throw some reverb on a few of the hits, or a filtered synth in the background to pad it out.

Some of the beat later on is almost villalobos, but a little awkward.
The jazzy samples are nice, and the little vocal cuts. The beat feels quite seperate to the rest though - it sits right back and doesnt come up with the main sounds.

You've got a few good ideas in there, i'd work up some more beat details/variation and get some extra layers of sounds in. It's got a lot of potential, although remember tracks of that type (villalobos et al) need a frightening amount of detail work. Good luck :)

I dont know how you plan to carry on, but sometimes if i've done a rough cut and need to layer more over, i'll just chop up the rough cut into sections and treat it almost like a remix. Find it helps ideas come. Not to tell you how to work - I just only found that out recently and it makes me so much more productive.

I finished a new track tonight!
It's the first one under my new alias 'downpour'. Going to have another 2 done by the end of the month.
It's a fairly slow one, deep techno.

Click here to listen to downpour - live forever.mp3
Feedback would be excellent :) I'm getting these mastered properly when they're all done so i've got plenty of time to alter bits.

edit: soundcloud link:
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/live-forever

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 24, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

some dubsteppin wobbly goodness

let me know what you guys think. this song is well on its way, but not finished, and i want to get some feedback.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
New jam I started working on tonight: http://soundcloud.com/will-ivy/bnla

mezzir posted:

Hahah this rules.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 24, 2009

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

ShoodZ posted:

This is cool and I imagine if you got it properly mastered and released by a reputable label you'd sell a few copies. It doesn't really have any defining hook to it though, definitely think about getting some good vocals recorded so your track is at least identifiable from the flood of sound-alike dubstep currently out there. A nice breakdown with some melodic elements might be good too. Think about what makes a track a 'must buy' when you're digging on beatport or in the record shop; a sick bassline can certainly be enough but when you're dealing with a genre full of big wobbly basslines then maybe you need to figure out something else to help your track stand out from the crowd. :)

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ShoodZ posted:

Oh poo poo I hadn't listened to this goddamn. This owns. The advice in the post above mine is good, though -- it's a tight tune but yeah, some cool vocals or something could really set it apart.

EDIT: Is the bass panned off to the side or are my ears playing tricks with me? If you're looking to cut it to vinyl I wouldn't do that.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

ShoodZ posted:

Sounds like I'd rock my rear end off to it(while embarrassingly dancing and recreating the sounds with my arms) in a warehouse in Chicago promoting a burning man event (aka RAVE), and that DJ's would spin it. Shits tight.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How do people feel about the Motu BPM? I suspect when an Apple Tablet arrives it might be a fun piece of software to have.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Meatsplosion posted:

This is cool and I imagine if you got it properly mastered and released by a reputable label you'd sell a few copies. It doesn't really have any defining hook to it though, definitely think about getting some good vocals recorded so your track is at least identifiable from the flood of sound-alike dubstep currently out there. A nice breakdown with some melodic elements might be good too. Think about what makes a track a 'must buy' when you're digging on beatport or in the record shop; a sick bassline can certainly be enough but when you're dealing with a genre full of big wobbly basslines then maybe you need to figure out something else to help your track stand out from the crowd. :)

This.

If it had a super slick Harmonized guitar melody like ratatat or something I would really dig this. It would be easy with amplitube or guitar rig3 and any random guitar.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Thank you all very much for the feedback

Meatsplosion posted:

Thanks for saying this. It was my thoughts excactly. I got mic preamps in my mixer so I think I'll record some hooklines myself or get a rasta guy to do them for me. I got miles of samples but it feels kinda cheesy. Think I'll try to strech out the section between the two choruses and chuck in some melody. Thanks for the tip!

squidgee posted:

EDIT: Is the bass panned off to the side or are my ears playing tricks with me? If you're looking to cut it to vinyl I wouldn't do that.

My other friend told me this as well. Im going to have to look into it. Currently my left monitor is broken and awaiting replacement so the timing couldn't be worse.

Fail-Bot
Jun 27, 2008

run:cakemaker.exe
processing...
ERROR
I am trying to get into writing some electronic music, but I feel like I can't seem to make my bass lines heavy enough. It's a certain presence to it that just seems sort of weak, and I'm not sure how to change that. Say, for example, when you hear Genesis by Justice kick into its bass line at the beginning of the song, it's just heavy. I've been using Novation Bass Station and playing around with some presets and whatnot, but I can't seem to get anything heavy enough. Perhaps someone can give me a bit of direction?

Edit: A further example of the kind of bass sound I'm looking for is in The Rain by Calvin Harris. On that note, can anyone recommend a good slap-bass VST or something similar to one? It's just a lot cheaper to get a good VST than drop a good amount of money on a J bass.

Fail-Bot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A lot of making a satisfying bass is just working out when your ears are tricking you. If you write using headphones for instance nothing sounds really bassy, then you put it on a stereo and suddenly its a boomy mess.

Basically any synth can get a good bass sound it's just in isolation you probably wont recognise it as one. Just settle for something that sounds ok with a nice midrange punch, mix everything else then see how it feels.

• Locked thread