Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Batmanuel" posted:

There was no stipulation in place which stated that if Rey lost, he lost his mask. There was a mask vs title match that he did win.

FishBulb posted:

In lucha losing your mask permenantly required you to lose it in a match, not just have someone take it off. Although that is still considered a big deal.

All right thanks. That does make sense now that I stop and think about it. It does still seem like a big thing to have it taken off but I suppose if there wasn't a stip about it, he'd be allowed to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

reality_groove posted:

I think it was Hurricane, pulling things out of HHH's rear end or something?

...The attitude era was really overrated. There, I said it

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pneub posted:

Yeah but most of the people in here were like 10-14 when it happened so they remember it well.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So yesterday at a friends house we were zappin' through the channels and caught an episode of Vintage on Eurosport. It was Lex Luger vs Yokozuna at (I think?) a Summerslam. I guess this isn't really a question and more of a statement but jesus it seemed to drag on forever. Mind you, we switched to it when it was seemingly already going for a while and switched channels again before it ended.

Highlights were Lex Luger in the corner trying to sneakily look over his shoulder and then dodging the worst salt attack Mr Fuji has ever pulled off and Yokozuna missing pretty much every offensive move. This has tainted my childhood memories of really digging both these guys when I was but a wee lad :(

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Ah yes, I loved that storyline. Yokozuna is fat, and Lex is the only person who can slam him (even if he cant).

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pneub posted:

How dare you call this the attitude era. The attitude era was lonnng over at this point. Just seeing Hurricane's name should tell you that. That means it had to have been post invasion.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
OK this is kind of a weird one but here goes:

Why is it that when RVD does a frog splash he grabs his stomach and rolls around in pain? Is he just trying to make the move look dangerous, or does it legitimately hurt him so badly that he can't help it? And if so, what is he doing differently from Eddie and Chavo who just do the frog splash and stay on top of the guy for the pin?

It's a really inane question but it's something I was thinking about today.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Karmine posted:

OK this is kind of a weird one but here goes:

Why is it that when RVD does a frog splash he grabs his stomach and rolls around in pain? Is he just trying to make the move look dangerous, or does it legitimately hurt him so badly that he can't help it? And if so, what is he doing differently from Eddie and Chavo who just do the frog splash and stay on top of the guy for the pin?

It's a really inane question but it's something I was thinking about today.

The explanation I always heard was that his method of doing the splash was so devastating it hurt his opponent and himself.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

BlueArmyMan posted:

The explanation I always heard was that his method of doing the splash was so devastating it hurt his opponent and himself.

Plus I always thought it looked like he was getting a LOT more air time than Eddie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Here's a weird question: Has there ever been someone in a dedicated tag team (not a superteam ie Jericho, Cena/HBK) that went out on their own and found singles success while keeping the team together. It took HBK breaking up the Rockers for him to branch out and the Hart Foundation was dead by the time Bret was doing his singles run.

I'm talking about something along the lines of what would amount to Demolition Smash winning the IC title but still being in Demolition.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

weekly font posted:

Here's a weird question: Has there ever been someone in a dedicated tag team (not a superteam ie Jericho, Cena/HBK) that went out on their own and found singles success while keeping the team together.

Nitro won the IC title when he was in MNM

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SenorSpangiel posted:

Nitro won the IC title when he was in MNM

No, he was still using the gimmick, but he'd left smackdown after turning on mercury. He won it as part of MN.

Oh, and apparently once billy gunn tried to shave A-train. Was this as bad as it sounds?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 27, 2009

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

weekly font posted:

Here's a weird question: Has there ever been someone in a dedicated tag team (not a superteam ie Jericho, Cena/HBK) that went out on their own and found singles success while keeping the team together. It took HBK breaking up the Rockers for him to branch out and the Hart Foundation was dead by the time Bret was doing his singles run.

I'm talking about something along the lines of what would amount to Demolition Smash winning the IC title but still being in Demolition.
The post below this reminded me of a situation where this happened. Late 98-early 99 Billy Gunn was fueding with Ken Shamrock for the IC Title and Road Dogg was fueding with Bossman for the Hardcore belt while they were still teaming as the New Age Outlaws.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

The post below this reminded me of a situation where this happened. Late 98-early 99 Billy Gunn was fueding with Ken Shamrock for the IC Title and Road Dogg was fueding with Bossman for the Hardcore belt while they were still teaming as the New Age Outlaws.

Pretty sure Jeff and Matt held singles titles while still a tag team and never broke up over them. Christian and Edge might have been a team like that too.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Does reuniting while champion count? Hardy Boys on Smackdown this year while Jeff was WHC..

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
How does Samoa Joe live with himself?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

How does Samoa Joe live with himself?

In a big mansion with a lot of food and video games.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How dare you call this the attitude era. The attitude era was lonnng over at this point. Just seeing Hurricane's name should tell you that. That means it had to have been post invasion.

We all know the attitude-era ended at Wrestlemania 17, its a well known smarky internet fact.

A good question is when the attitude-era began?

Pillman has a gun?
Austin 3:16 at king of the ring?
USA vs. Canada?
Montreal Screwjob '97?
Or the night Shawn Michaels teamed with Triple H to take on the Undertaker and Mankind, and DX soon followed?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

3:16 promo it's also a pretty well known smarky internet fact

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

sexy_trash posted:

We all know the attitude-era ended at Wrestlemania 17, its a well known smarky internet fact.

A good question is when the attitude-era began?

Pillman has a gun?
Austin 3:16 at king of the ring?
USA vs. Canada?
Montreal Screwjob '97?
Or the night Shawn Michaels teamed with Triple H to take on the Undertaker and Mankind, and DX soon followed?

FRUSTRATED? FRUSTRATED ISN'T THE GODDAMN WORD FOR IT! THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I could never really say 3:16 started the era. They still had their terrible rear end shows for a good year with stupid gimmicks and bad angles, except without any raunchiness.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Meat Recital posted:

Ah yes, I loved that storyline. Yokozuna is fat, and Lex is the only person who can slam him (even if he cant).

The hiptoss heard 'round the world, as Bobby Heenan used to say. Except it was a lovely slam. I always loved when Heenan was supposed to be full of poo poo, Gorilla and Vince would claim he was full of poo poo, and he was telling the truth.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

The hiptoss heard 'round the world, as Bobby Heenan used to say. Except it was a lovely slam. I always loved when Heenan was supposed to be full of poo poo, Gorilla and Vince would claim he was full of poo poo, and he was telling the truth.

WILL you stop!

I thought Ahmed Johnson's slam of Yokozuna was 10x more impressive than Luger's.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Fake Razor and Diesel:

Were they meant to be ribs, or was Vince legitimately trying to convince the crowd they were Scott Hall and Nash?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Fallon posted:

Were they meant to be ribs, or was Vince legitimately trying to convince the crowd they were Scott Hall and Nash?

No, he wasn't trying to convince anyone, he was trying to use the gimmicks again on different people. I don't remember if it was the first time they were on TV or not because its been a long time, but they had a heel JR talking up about how they 'brought back some of your favorites' or something like that.

Of course their gimmicks were just kind of 'them with funny names' so you know....

also it was a terrible idea.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FishBulb posted:

No, he wasn't trying to convince anyone, he was trying to use the gimmicks again on different people. I don't remember if it was the first time they were on TV or not because its been a long time, but they had a heel JR talking up about how they 'brought back some of your favorites' or something like that.

Of course their gimmicks were just kind of 'them with funny names' so you know....

also it was a terrible idea.

So the short answer is, "Get J.R. over as a heel."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So the short answer is, "Get J.R. over as a heel."

I'm sure if the crowd would have accepted them as different people playing the same character Vince would have been okay with that too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fallon posted:

Fake Razor and Diesel:

Neither, exactly. The point was that they weren't Hall and Nash, but they were Razor and Diesel. Vince wanted to establish that Hall and Nash weren't anything special, they were made by Vince and the WWE and he could do the same thing to make any other two people. And as a bonus, he'd use them to turn Jim Ross heel.

Didn't quite work out for him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nope. The whole thing was part of the lawsuit beteen WCW and WWF over Hall and Nash defecting. If Vince used the characters on television, it lent more credence to his claim that he owned the characters and they coudn't act like them on WCW television. This is why Hall stopped talking like Razor.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

This is why Hall stopped talking like Razor.

I thought Scott Hall NEVER stopped talking like Razor. Even out of character I find he still sounds like that.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I thought Scott Hall NEVER stopped talking like Razor. Even out of character I find he still sounds like that.

Let's listen in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6hqohBR70I

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
It's a shame that neither of the guys behind Fake Razor and Fake Diesel ever amounted to anything...

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Batmanuel posted:

It's a shame that neither of the guys behind Fake Razor and Fake Diesel ever amounted to anything...

They should bring in Kevin Nash to be Fake Kane

A BALLIN LUNCH!!
Mar 13, 2007

Question:

Why did Kurt Angle leave the WWE?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

Question:

Conflicting statements (mostly from Kurt!) indicate it was something to do with him being overworked and addicted to painkillers and not being happy about the level of influence he had.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Hey now, maybe the BITCH deserved it!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep seeing a picture of two guys' roster page pictures, but both guys had Wolverine gimmicks, and they were in FCW. I think they recently got released.

Anyone have it?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

rotinaj posted:

I keep seeing a picture of two guys' roster page pictures, but both guys had Wolverine gimmicks, and they were in FCW. I think they recently got released.

Anyone have it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

Question:

wwe insisted that angle undergo (paid) rehab, angle refused.