Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Fail-Bot posted:

slap-bass VST

The only thing I can think of is Trilogy by Spectrasonics, but the samples it uses aren't that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

melee beats posted:

The only thing I can think of is Trilogy by Spectrasonics, but the samples it uses aren't that great

Agreed, but with some other processing is can sound pretty drat sweet.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

mezzir posted:

Agreed, but with some other processing is can sound pretty drat sweet.

Compared to other stuff I'd actually retract that and say its pretty good

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I picked up a mixer at a flea market today, I am so excited:

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
Two hopefully simple questions.

1. I know there is a company out there that makes foot controllers that send keyboard signals instead of MIDI, but google is failing me. Where/how can I get one of these?

2. Is there any way I can use an expression pedal to control either channel volume or the crossfader in live?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

melee beats posted:

Scarbee J slapped n fingered is the standard!

The guy who makes it insane about playing bass without the bass. He has many libraries.

Another option is cheap internet bass player. Like a real studio musician. Tell them what you want.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 28, 2009

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Runoir posted:

Two hopefully simple questions.

1. I know there is a company out there that makes foot controllers that send keyboard signals instead of MIDI, but google is failing me. Where/how can I get one of these?

Is something like this what you're looking for? I'm a little confused on how you are differentiating MIDI and "keyboard signals" - could you explain this a bit better if the link I posted isn't what you're after?

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

I know this is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble disabling MS GS Wavetable Synth so I can use the ASIO4ALL sound driver. Using FL Studio 9 and Vista, MS GS shows up in the midi options in FL but there is no option for disabling it. Anyone know a way to disable it? Am I going to have to mess with a .ini file somewhere?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Why do you need to disable it? It shouldn't matter what's in the MIDI menu, ASIO4ALL is selected in the AUDIO menu and doesn't need MSGS Wavetable Synth disabled to run.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Well I'm not getting any sound when using ASIO4ALL, and when I open up the driver box my main output is listed as unavailable. From what I've been able to find that is usually due to MS GS Wavetable or use by another application.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007

Cyne posted:

Is something like this what you're looking for? I'm a little confused on how you are differentiating MIDI and "keyboard signals" - could you explain this a bit better if the link I posted isn't what you're after?

Sure, sorry... I could have explained this a little better. All the foot controllers I've used in the past have sent midi signals, which my audio software has interpreted. I'm looking for a controller that emulates a keyboard output. So, when I trigger the controller, I want my computer to receive a keystroke, instead of a midi note.

Edit: Got it via PM! http://www.x-tempozone.com/

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Runoir posted:

Sure, sorry... I could have explained this a little better. All the foot controllers I've used in the past have sent midi signals, which my audio software has interpreted. I'm looking for a controller that emulates a keyboard output. So, when I trigger the controller, I want my computer to receive a keystroke, instead of a midi note.

Ah, gotcha. It can get confusing in threads like this when you say "keyboard" since my mind always goes to musical keyboard rather than computer keyboard. Glad you found what you were looking for though!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Fail-Bot posted:

I am trying to get into writing some electronic music, but I feel like I can't seem to make my bass lines heavy enough. It's a certain presence to it that just seems sort of weak, and I'm not sure how to change that.
Stack that poo poo, dude.

All of my sounds are actually multiple sounds that make up a single "instrument". Buss them out and compress them together to get them to gel into one sound. The only way to get good at it is just trial and error.

Spend some time to get good at designing sounds in this way and you'll be a better producer.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Runoir posted:

You can use this little piece of software developed to allow losers in LoTR online to play the e-lute with their midi keyboard to convert midi signals to keystrokes.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=121331

Scientology
May 19, 2009

The evolution of knowledge is toward simplicity, not complexity.
Does anyone in this thread know where to get the software that's supposed to come with an Access Virus TI? I got mine used, and I can't download software from the company's webpage because the synth itself is already registered to another user. I really don't want to return it, because goddamn this thing sounds amazing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Do you know that other user? They should let Access know that they've sold it.

http://www.virusti.com/forum/ may offer more advice.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

Click here to listen to downpour - live forever.mp3
Feedback would be excellent :) I'm getting these mastered properly when they're all done so i've got plenty of time to alter bits.

edit: soundcloud link:
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/live-forever

Sorry to bump this, but any chance of a thumbs up/down? I cant even get friends to listen to it, I dont know whats up.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Sometimes I write simple songs at the laundromat:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Sorry to bump this, but any chance of a thumbs up/down? I cant even get friends to listen to it, I dont know whats up.

To be honest, that brass is pretty grating and boring.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Using Buzz and Live side by side now, I feel like I'm having to re-learn mixing (and listening) from scratch in a new sequencer. I made two short loops which I'm completely uncertain about mixing-wise; I would appreciate it very much if you could give them a listen and comment on the production level.

http://yfinder.de/prev/way-lemur-preview.mp3
http://yfinder.de/prev/way-shimmer-and-pounce-preview.mp3

I feel like a total noob again working with Live, and you could really help me by giving these a spin and telling me how they sound on your system (and what could be improved.)

Thank you!

Fail-Bot
Jun 27, 2008

run:cakemaker.exe
processing...
ERROR

Jazz Cigarettes posted:

Well I'm not getting any sound when using ASIO4ALL, and when I open up the driver box my main output is listed as unavailable. From what I've been able to find that is usually due to MS GS Wavetable or use by another application.

Make sure you don't have any audio programs open like Winamp or Windows Media Player, and try disabling the Windows sounds (just go into your desktop properties and set the sounds to 'no sounds'). That might get it working.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

edit: bahahaha export is failure.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

wayfinder posted:

I feel like a total noob again working with Live, and you could really help me by giving these a spin and telling me how they sound on your system (and what could be improved.)

System: E-mu 1212m to pair of Adam A7 in mostly untreated room.

Shimmer & Pounce: the chord pad sounds very far away. The bass lacks oomph and the bassline is nearly not noticeable.

Lemur: the mix is more open which is good. Lots of swirling busy stuff in the background.

Something's sounding scooped; as if an EQ took a bite out of a part that should be there.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Fail-Bot posted:

Make sure you don't have any audio programs open like Winamp or Windows Media Player, and try disabling the Windows sounds (just go into your desktop properties and set the sounds to 'no sounds'). That might get it working.

Thanks for the help. This didn't get it to work but I found something that did. Went into control Panel > Sounds > Properties for my speakers > Advanced > uncheck "Allow programs to take exclusive control"

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

right now, thumbs down.

if it were my song, i would: sidechain the gently caress out of the horns on 1 and 3 and make then not the main part of the song. then add a funky rear end overdriven/distorted synth line over the top of everything. maybe make the synth lines long and drawn out and sidechain gate them to the percussion.

or just change everything but the percussion, thats really the only part i was really feeling.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Just made this with my two DS setup. The telephone noise might be a bit much.

I can't figure out how to record stereo audio in Audacity.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

I can't figure out how to record stereo audio in Audacity.

Are you using a microphone jack? Those things are mono. Line-in is stereo, IIRC.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

cubicle gangster posted:

It's not that bad as I thought it would be judging other people's posts... But the horns really get annoying at a certain point. Autmate some envelopes on them to make them sound different because, by the third time they appear they are already boring. But the drums are very nice, sounds like a strange kind of Belgian New Beat (by the tempo).

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

KaosPV posted:

It's not that bad as I thought it would be judging other people's posts...

Hmm, I did sound a bit harsh, didn't I? :(
I thought it's better to be honest. I know I want to know which parts of my tracks suck balls, rather than hearing a lot of "meh, it's alright" or being ignored.

Sorry, Cubicle Gangster! Practice and keep posting!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Nah - thats cool. At least I know whats really not working. :)

So horns need work - i'll give oderuns suggestion of sidechaining the odd one, cut a few out at the start so they're less often/really sat back and play around with fx on them a bit. I always find my tracks dont annoy me at first, because i've listened to it 50 times already I cant spot poo poo like that very easily.
oderun - i'm not sure if i'd go for a funky line, but i'll definitely give some new synth layers a go - i'm more into slow grooves.

Thanks for the props on the percussion, something i've always thought I was sub par at in past tracks and I was quite pleased with it on this one :3:
They're still not as dynamic as i'd like, but at least they're functional.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 29, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah I'm with Jones on maybe sidechaining the horn, but personally I wouldn't sidechain the gently caress out of them, just a simple moderate sidechain, with a nice reverb slapped on there after the sidechain. I like that sample, I just want it to give me more of a sense of space. Maybe some light reverb and just a touch of a phaser to give it a hint of motion?

edit: the whole thing made me want to play half life, take that as you will.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Mixed my two Dubstep tracks after reading a lot about mixing. Next week Im going to record a couple of solid hooklines to add before the drops.

All feedback is, once again, appreciated.

Edit: tindeck does not like "." in the filename

ShoodZ fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 29, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

System: E-mu 1212m to pair of Adam A7 in mostly untreated room.

Shimmer & Pounce: the chord pad sounds very far away. The bass lacks oomph and the bassline is nearly not noticeable.

Lemur: the mix is more open which is good. Lots of swirling busy stuff in the background.

Something's sounding scooped; as if an EQ took a bite out of a part that should be there.
Thanks, that's the first useful feedback I've gotten, here or elsewhere. Anyone else have a comment?

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
Does anyone know if it's possible to use Reason refills for PC on a mac?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Computer Jones posted:

Are you using a microphone jack? Those things are mono. Line-in is stereo, IIRC.

I am using a microphone jack, but if I record it using the default Windows sound recorder I get stereo.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

ProdigalSon posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Reason refills for PC on a mac?

I'm pretty sure Refills are platform neutral though it's been a few years since I've used Reason.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

^^
I think that's right.

also

more of the usual, w/e that is. I'ma finish a song one of these days. Really.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

more of the usual, w/e that is. I'ma finish a song one of these days. Really.

I like this. The title is quite fitting. :)

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
workin on a newy

think the vocal samples might be too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Using Buzz and Live side by side now, I feel like I'm having to re-learn mixing (and listening) from scratch in a new sequencer. I made two short loops which I'm completely uncertain about mixing-wise; I would appreciate it very much if you could give them a listen and comment on the production level.

http://yfinder.de/prev/way-lemur-preview.mp3
http://yfinder.de/prev/way-shimmer-and-pounce-preview.mp3

Thank you!

In the future, if you only have one little snippet recorded you can just upload that instead of looping and repeating it several times - it gets very repetitive and dull.

• Locked thread