Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Hogarth Hughes posted:

This, right here, is one of the most brilliant things about KOTH. On a show like The Simpsons, they'll shoehorn in some half-assed reason for the family to meet the actual person doing that voice. OH MY GOD YOU'RE U2!! And then for no rational reason Homer is then on tour with the band.

You're forgetting the ZZ Top episode!

OK, that was kind of a different deal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Don Meredith was a bit like this, but that episode makes sense and Hank ends up tackling one of his heroes on the field at Texas Stadium, which just kills me.

SuperDome :eng101:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hogarth Hughes posted:

I think the only famous person I can remember that was on the show that a character worshipped in this manner was Willie Nelson, but it's completely in character for Hank to respect Willie.

This never made very much sense to me. Why exactly does Hank idolize Willie Nelson of all people? From the way Hank's character comes off on the show, Willie seems like one of the LAST people he'd admire, let alone call an idol.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Hogarth Hughes posted:

This, right here, is one of the most brilliant things about KOTH. On a show like The Simpsons, they'll shoehorn in some half-assed reason for the family to meet the actual person doing that voice. OH MY GOD YOU'RE U2!! And then for no rational reason Homer is then on tour with the band.

I know the shows are completely different in sensibility, but KOTH is amazing because they'd have a very famous person voicing a particular role and there is zero attention drawn to it. I think the only famous person I can remember that was on the show that a character worshipped in this manner was Willie Nelson, but it's completely in character for Hank to respect Willie. Don Meredith was a bit like this, but that episode makes sense and Hank ends up tackling one of his heroes on the field at Texas Stadium, which just kills me.

It's always amazing to me when you watch the show and then get to the credits, and, oh, holy poo poo, the yoga instructor was Johnny Depp.

And, yeah, Green Day as the three little punk rear end in a top hat teenagers that Hank and pals get into an epic paintball fight with. Great bit of casting. The Hills don't just wackily, somehow, find themselves at a Green Day concert for no reason. The show fits the guest stars into the show's reality.

This comes up alot, but when you bring up Green Day, that's a fantastic point to make because you can compare how the very same celebrities were treated on The Simpsons. Though the KOTH episode with them was reallllly old and earlier on in their careers than when The Simpsons had them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This never made very much sense to me. Why exactly does Hank idolize Willie Nelson of all people? From the way Hank's character comes off on the show, Willie seems like one of the LAST people he'd admire, let alone call an idol.

That episode happens early before Hank really gets fully established so I think they did kinda shoehorn him into the episode in this rare instance. His weed and IRS problems would be a major turnoff for Hank but perhaps his Texas heritage and country music would be enough for Hank to overlook such problems.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

That episode happens early before Hank really gets fully established so I think they did kinda shoehorn him into the episode in this rare instance. His weed and IRS problems would be a major turnoff for Hank but perhaps his Texas heritage and country music would be enough for Hank to overlook such problems.

I think you seriously underestimate how how often country music stars are detained for tax and drug charges. Willie Nelson's criminal career made him a softie compared to guys like Johnny Cash.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 26, 2009

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hank: Now, you may not like Willie Nelson, but...
Bobby Hill: No, I like Willie Nelson. He's alternative.
Hank: You take that back.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The only time I remember them promoting the guest star was the one where Snoop Doog played the pimp. The fox promos kept going something like "Special guest appearance by Bigg Snoop Dogg" in giant purple blaxploitation movie font.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Crotch Bat posted:

I think Hank can like Willie Nelson if he can still work for Strickland after the poo poo he has been a part of and done and hell he has put Hank through. Seriously, it's probably only because Strickland owns a propane company that Hank can still like him, that guy is terrible and Hank has no reason to keep being so nice to him and he should be given ownership of the propane company somehow in the continuity, it would only be fair. Bobby does a bit of summer work to pay for his comedy props or whatever and Peggy can temp when she isn't substituting and she even knows es-pan-ol.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

Syrant posted:

I think Hank can like Willie Nelson if he can still work for Strickland after the poo poo he has been a part of and done and hell he has put Hank through. Seriously, it's probably only because Strickland owns a propane company that Hank can still like him, that guy is terrible and Hank has no reason to keep being so nice to him and he should be given ownership of the propane company somehow in the continuity, it would only be fair. Bobby does a bit of summer work to pay for his comedy props or whatever and Peggy can temp when she isn't substituting and she even knows es-pan-ol.

I was hoping Hank would get control of the Arlen branch of Strickland Propane in the final episode.... Buck makes him a good deal on the business for all his loyal years of service, and retires to somewhere tropical and Hank enjoys his own little heaven on Earth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guest_stars_on_King_of_the_Hill

It will blow your mind who has been on the show

The best thing is when the episodes were on, Fox didn't run ads that touted the guest voice. Its just awesome actors, doing their thing on KOTH.

I swear there is a guest voice in every episode. So awesome.

I wasn't sure I believed the whole Nathan Fillion doing a voice on Luann Virgin 2.0 but that episode was on tonight and by god he did. Its like one line though.

That episode is fantastic though just for Hank's attitude toward everything.

Luann: I quit being a virgin the first time I had sex.

Hank: Nobody likes a quitter.

Hank: We're going to chaperon the abstinence dance to make sure they all have a good time, not a great one.

and of course

Hank: The Van Der Graafs!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been watching re-runs lately, and the episode where the VFW and 'Nam guys get together was on. Dale and the eagle attacking Bill was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show in a long time. "He found his way home!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It was a falcon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, I guess Bill's a vole.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Huh, I guess Bill's a vole.

Might be my favorite scene in the whole series.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Syrant posted:

Hank has daddy issues and he projects the ideal father/son relationship he wanted with his dad onto his relationship with Buck.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was Tammy Wynett always Hank's mom? Crazy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I loving love the Manger Babies you guys.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

did we just have... relations?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maxwell Lord posted:

I loving love the Manger Babies you guys.

I want to kill that loving penguin. With a pipe.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

reginald featherbottom the third is awesome :wotwot:

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
The best Manger Baby is Gurgle Gurgle the Octopus, sorry. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mystic_Squid posted:

The best Manger Baby is Gurgle Gurgle the Octopus, sorry. :colbert:

Its also the only one left after Dale murdered the rest of them.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hank has daddy issues and he projects the ideal father/son relationship he wanted with his dad onto his relationship with Buck.

Not only that Strickland is the one who got him into propane from a job at the mall. If Strickland had a charcoal dealership Hank would be all about that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ChairmanMeow posted:

Not only that Strickland is the one who got him into propane from a job at the mall. If Strickland had a charcoal dealership Hank would be all about that.

That's very true. He was very enthusiastic about jeans before Buck hired him.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

So when Hank was in the Order of the Straight Arrow as a kid with Bill, Dale, and Boomhauer, telling them when he grows up he wants to sell propane and propane accessories (that is if his grades are good enough!) non-canon because it's just such an early ep, or Hank retconning his own childhood?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Your Proud Pal posted:

So when Hank was in the Order of the Straight Arrow as a kid with Bill, Dale, and Boomhauer, telling them when he grows up he wants to sell propane and propane accessories (that is if his grades are good enough!) non-canon because it's just such an early ep, or Hank retconning his own childhood?

I'm betting Hank retconning his own childhood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'm betting Hank retconning his own childhood.

I'm going to be a millionaire and have people killed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Your Proud Pal posted:

I think it was just a case of it being an early episode. Once shows go on for a few seasons, producers seem to be willing to ignore bits and pieces of the show's history if it means they can come up with a new script.

And, of course, it made for a funny joke, to hear an 8 year old say that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

robot roll call posted:

That's very true. He was very enthusiastic about jeans before Buck hired him.

That reminds me of a very bizarre joke from Luann Virgin 2.0. After Hank is pissed off that Peggy slept with another guy before him she responds that he probably still has secrets from when he worked for the jeans place to which Hank says "I told you about the time I put on the giant pair of khakis and pretended I was small." WFT?

Your Proud Pal posted:

Probably just an early episode where they haven't decided where the show was going yet. The only real confusing part of the shows history is how exactly Hank and Peggy got together. Peggy grew up in Montana and her parents still live there but somehow she went to high school with Hank. Peggy's brother Hoyt also somehow lived in Arlen since Luann is from there as well.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

I think it was just a case of it being an early episode. Once shows go on for a few seasons, producers seem to be willing to ignore bits and pieces of the show's history if it means they can come up with a new script.

I think this is more likely but hank has been developed such that the first is possible and so that's what i'll choose to believe. luanne's trailer park i'm also going to pretend was owned by a fighting couple that couldn't decide on the name of it so that's why that changed

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

That reminds me of a very bizarre joke from Luann Virgin 2.0. After Hank is pissed off that Peggy slept with another guy before him she responds that he probably still has secrets from when he worked for the jeans place to which Hank says "I told you about the time I put on the giant pair of khakis and pretended I was small." WFT?

I think it's just like Hank is embarrassed by goofing off and playing around and so playing with maybe like extra-large pants (like maybe jeans west stores have some like giant 5 foot tall pair of prop khakis??) embarrassed Hank and he kept it a secret from everyone but Peggy.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Probably just an early episode where they haven't decided where the show was going yet. The only real confusing part of the shows history is how exactly Hank and Peggy got together. Peggy grew up in Montana and her parents still live there but somehow she went to high school with Hank. Peggy's brother Hoyt also somehow lived in Arlen since Luann is from there as well.

Ok. Lets rationalize this.

Say Peggy grew up in Montana, but left and moved to Arlen for HS. Lets say because Hoyt was a trouble maker and was sent off to live with his uncle in Arlen and Peggy went along because she was sick of Montana.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"How was your weekend, Bill?"
"Both of 'em!"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ehhh, not quite. Hank and Peggy went to different high schools (Hank went to Arlen High, Peggy went to West Arlen) and they met each other outside of school. There's a scene from the "I Remember Mono" episode where Hank and Peggy are talking during a women's softball game between Arlen and West Arlen. Peggy played for the West Arlen softball team and is wearing the uniform in that scene. Hank is wearing his Arlen letter jacket.

As for how Peggy came to Arlen from Montana, the details on that are still a little murky. There's some mention made of Peggy running away from home at some point in her childhood, which could either mean she moved from Montana to live with a close relative in Arlen, or that part of her family moved to Texas and she came with them (or that she literally ran away for whatever reason). Either way, her mom has ties to both Arlen and Montana, and Peggy and her mom (or one of her moms anyway) were both living in Arlen when Peggy was a child (pre-high school).

Personally I'm more confused by who Peggy's real mom is. There's the Mother Platter shown in the earlier episodes who looks a lot like Peggy, and there's the ranch lady from that one episode where the Hills go to Montana. The former is apparently from Montana and goes there for Thanksgiving in one episode... I don't think the ranch lady ever leaves the ranch.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 28, 2009

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JethroMcB posted:

See also: the Macmaynerbury Middle School mascot. In the episode where Bobby becomes the Landry Longhorn, Macmaynerbury's mascot is a Javelina. Then later it gets changed to the Fighting Irish for no apparent reason.

I don't know why but that detail always kinda bugged me.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I think one of my favourite parts was the episode Hank's on Board (when the guys think Hank is too bossy) when the rest of the guys arrive at the hotel. Just the way Boomhauer's car comes flying around the corner, and Dale sings the horn that was on the General Lee.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So, was Bobby's middle name given to him because of Boomhauer? Kind of a slap in the face to Dale and Bill there.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

So, was Bobby's middle name given to him because of Boomhauer? Kind of a slap in the face to Dale and Bill there.

Wikipedia says that supposedly drunk Peggy said she wanted to name him Jeffery but Hank wouldn't allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBayou posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guest_stars_on_King_of_the_Hill

It will blow your mind who has been on the show

The best thing is when the episodes were on, Fox didn't run ads that touted the guest voice. Its just awesome actors, doing their thing on KOTH.

I swear there is a guest voice in every episode. So awesome.

Haha, Colin Mochrie was a guest star in the Canada episode.