Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Legdiian posted:

ASRock ION 330

Is this not small/cheap enough? Seems to be a very popular choice with the HTPC crowd.

Buy it from eWiz with the coupon code FUN15. It'll be $334.99 shipped.

I just bought it and am waiting for it to arrive (the 29th cannot come soon enough!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

I'll let you know how it works when I receive it. Although I won't be doing 7.1 audio, my receiver is only 5.1 capable.

Reg will you let us know how that thing plays full-screen flash on Windows? Say, from MLB.tv or hulu? That's the only thing holding me back, really.

Edit: Looks like you're doing Linux NM

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 24, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Legdiian posted:

ASRock ION 330

Is this not small/cheap enough? Seems to be a very popular choice with the HTPC crowd.

That platform was discussed earlier up on the previous page of this thread.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dijkstra posted:

Reg will you let us know how that thing plays full-screen flash on Windows? Say, from MLB.tv or hulu? That's the only thing holding me back, really.

Edit: Looks like you're doing Linux NM

You cannot run flash on Linux?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There is a version of Flash for Linux but it's not really functional.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

You cannot run flash on Linux?

fullscreen is our keyword here.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

That platform was discussed earlier up on the previous page of this thread.

Thanks?

Yeah that's where I first read about it. I was responding to someone who was asking about a small pre-built HTPC.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Legdiian posted:

ASRock ION 330

Well AppleTV is $220 and it comes with wireless network and remote control already. When I add those 2 via USB to ASRock ION, it will be over $400. I'd be ok with getting it, if I understood the real advantage it has over AppleTV. I don't need a hard drive, since I will be using my computer to store everything anyway, and I will be streaming all the media. Having a DVD Drive is nice though...

Will 720p run without lag on AppleTV? What about Hulu? Is it louder than the ASRock? What am I paying double for when I get the ASRock ION - does the power make a difference? I haven't seen either in action.

Edit: Ok never mind, talked to coworker - when he told me earlier Apple TV can do 720p, he only meant the Apple TV 720p content, not general DivX or whatever 720p file you download. So it actually doesn't have enough power for 720p other than the specific 720p apple format.

Looks like I am going with the ASRock + Wireless + Remote!

Do most USB remote controls and wireless cards work with linux or should I just put windows on it?
People who got AS Rock - which Remote control and which wireless network cards did you get?

Pinkied_Brain fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 24, 2009

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
You could always do a DIY with the Zotac board. Even ASUS has an ION board out now. Depending which you go with, you could save a bit of money. Although there is very few case options available.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

blankooie posted:

You could always do a DIY with the Zotac board. Even ASUS has an ION board out now. Depending which you go with, you could save a bit of money. Although there is very few case options available.

I am pretty sure the ASRock is a build from the ASUS board. You just get charged slightly extra for the build and the swank case.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

I am pretty sure the ASRock is a build from the ASUS board. You just get charged slightly extra for the build and the swank case.

I think the Zotac board has built in Wifi if that makes a difference.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

You can also drop in most any LGA 775 and not be tied to the atom.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Legdiian posted:

I think the Zotac board has built in Wifi if that makes a difference.

Yes, it does have wifi.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pinkied_Brain posted:

Do most USB remote controls and wireless cards work with linux or should I just put windows on it?
People who got AS Rock - which Remote control and which wireless network cards did you get?

Most work with Linux, often times better than with Windows once you figure out how to use LIRC (which isn't that bad, really). There's some guy selling HP IR receivers on eBay that work perfectly with it using the mceusb driver, so if you grab one of those, you just need to figure out a remote to use and that's going to come down to preference. I've got XBMC running on Linux with one of those receivers and have it set up to be able to use a Dell-branded Philips MCE remote I picked up as well as an old Xbox remote as backup.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
So how's Ubuntu run on a ASRock ION 330? Was thinking about it but the hardware comes with some decent windows-only software.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Strangely when I leave my receiver switched to something not my HTPC setting (which is a mac mini connected via hdmi>dvi cable), the display won't be detected unless i remove/replug the HDMI>DVI cable in again). This gets annoying after a while, what's the reason?

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

By the way, is the ION Rock significantly better than this thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=nvidia_ion-_-83-103-228-_-Product

Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz) 1GB DDR2 160GB NVIDIA ION LE

It's $200, and smaller. Just no DVD drive.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Well the Asrock Ion has an Atom 330 CPU which would be substantially better for anything that can't be GPU accelerated. I can't really say it is $160 better though but that's up to you.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Also the ION LE does not support DirectX 10, if that's a big deal to you.

Edit - Also pointing out the obvious that the Acer has half the memory and half the hard drive space of the Asrock. I'm looking forward to the Acer Aspire Revo Atom 330 ION

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 28, 2009

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

evilalien posted:

Well the Asrock Ion has an Atom 330 CPU which would be substantially better for anything that can't be GPU accelerated. I can't really say it is $160 better though but that's up to you.

Depending on what you're doing, that may not be a big deal. My single core ION board with XBMC has been just fine for everything I've thrown at it so far, but I don't have any HD content that doesn't get decoded via hardware, so I'm not sure whether that would be a problem. I do hope nVidia releases a followup to the ION platform that supports VDPAU feature set C, though, since that would pretty much guarantee that I'd always be using the GPU for video decoding and upscaling.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Interlude posted:

So how's Ubuntu run on a ASRock ION 330? Was thinking about it but the hardware comes with some decent windows-only software.

I can let you know on Tuesday...

E:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54705

quote:

Killasample plays fine, it drops 4-6 frames. I am not sure if that is considered a problem.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2009

a red Nixon
Jan 11, 2008
atdt 18009453669
I'd really like to do a build with the Antec ISK 300, I think the system is quite beautiful. Unfortunately I pretty much get all of my TV via flash so the Atom isn't a reasonable solution. I'm still waiting for a 785g chipset that can run my 45w X2 but nothing seems to be materializing anytime soon. Anyone have luck with an ISK 300 build using an intel 65w solution?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

a red Nixon posted:

I'd really like to do a build with the Antec ISK 300, I think the system is quite beautiful. Unfortunately I pretty much get all of my TV via flash so the Atom isn't a reasonable solution. I'm still waiting for a 785g chipset that can run my 45w X2 but nothing seems to be materializing anytime soon. Anyone have luck with an ISK 300 build using an intel 65w solution?

If you're willing to wait and see how things turn out, Flash video support is supposed to be added to the Crystal HD cards at some point. They're about $30 shipped on eBay right now and all you need to use one is a spare mini-PCIe slot. There's one of those slots on the Zotac IONITX boards, though if you were to go with the Crystal HD card, you wouldn't have room for an internal wireless module if that's something you care about. You could still use a USB adapter, though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I came very close to ordering the Asus O!Play for $100 from Amazon earlier, but in researching it I decided I'd be happier with a full fledged HTPC. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this build:

Zotac ION ITX-A-U
Lian Li PC-Q07 Mini-ITX case
WD Black 640gb HD
2x2gb DDR2 800 ram

I plan to load XBMC on it for use solely as a movie/music player, streaming media from my 4TB Windows Home Server. Is Linux still the best route to go for XBMC?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Goldmund posted:

I plan to load XBMC on it for use solely as a movie/music player, streaming media from my 4TB Windows Home Server. Is Linux still the best route to go for XBMC?

It is the only route available to you as none of the other ports have VDPAU hardware acceleration. Apart from that, the Windows and Mac versions are pretty much identical to the Linux one.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I have a normal (pre-ion) htpc build(core2duo 5200, gigabyte motherboard with 9400 onboard graphics, 4gb ram). I am running a minimal install of ubuntu with xbmc install all booting from a 8gigabyte sandisk flash drive. Is this a terrible idea? I play everything straight from my homeserver and don't need any space on my actual htpc. Will the drive die within a year or so if I only turn the computer on when watching movies/tv shows? I also have the swap space on another flash drive in the system.

The only thing I have left to get working is lirc and my antec fusion remote/ir.

Edit: Here is the guide I followed for install. http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38804

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I may have asked this before but is there anyway a p4 3ghz with 2gb of ram will drive hd 720 or 1080 content with an upgraded video card?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Wow the ASRock Ion 330 is loving awesome.

My highest bit-rate 1080p movie played near flawlessly (1 dropped frame in over 5 minutes of movie time).

Amazing stuff.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Regnevelc posted:

Wow the ASRock Ion 330 is loving awesome.

My highest bit-rate 1080p movie played near flawlessly (1 dropped frame in over 5 minutes of movie time).

Amazing stuff.

Awesome. Did you install Windows or Linux? What are you using as a front end, if anything?

What would you change about it? What's on your software installation/tweak to-do list for it?

Sorry for the inquisition, but I'm highly intrigued by this little machine.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

bobzmuda posted:

Awesome. Did you install Windows or Linux? What are you using as a front end, if anything?

What would you change about it? What's on your software installation/tweak to-do list for it?

Sorry for the inquisition, but I'm highly intrigued by this little machine.

I received it yesterday at 6:00PM. I was in bed by 10, so I didn't have much time to dick with it.

My friend (Ice-69 on the forums) is the wiz so he installed everything for me, but basically.

Ubuntu desktop fully updated with the most recent version of XBMC. My plans are to install Aeon Stark for XBMC and go from there. I don't really have a plan for it yet, I'll just dick around until I get it how I like.

It currently is connected to the router via wired ethernet (no internal wifi, which is fine) and the server hits the router via wireless N. It streams with no problems. Currently it is at it's stock clock of 1.6ghz and I haven't ran into any viewing problems yet (although, not much time to play around). I have it set up to run HDMI from the unit to my Samsung LN52A630 and optical out to my surround sound system. We have HDMI sound working, but I always have the TV muted because the surround sound sounds much better.

I would have liked a front USB port or two, but it's honestly no big deal as I can get to the rear pretty easily. I'll post my thoughts in a week or so after I get it set up to how I like and figure-out how to use the Harmony 880 with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This may not be the thread for this title, but does anyone have any experience with something called Playon? I could pretty easily route stuff from my main PC to my 360.

http://www.biblemoneymatters.com/2009/06/ways-to-watch-tv-without-paying-an-arm-and-a-leg-for-cable-or-satellite.html

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Withnail posted:

I may have asked this before but is there anyway a p4 3ghz with 2gb of ram will drive hd 720 or 1080 content with an upgraded video card?

Nvidia card w/ VDPAU under Linux

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone tried out XBMC and an Aspire x1300? I want one since I don't need a blu ray drive, or I would get the asrock.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kri kri posted:

Anyone tried out XBMC and an Aspire x1300? I want one since I don't need a blu ray drive, or I would get the asrock.

My ASRock doesn't have a blu-ray drive.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Day 2 Trip Report:

So-far so good, I added the high-gain antenna to my server and that solved any issues with losing connection. I am slowly fixing my library so XBMC reads it correctly, but the ones that it does, loving wow. I love the extra features it provides.

Runs movies flawlessly with minimal (if any) dropped frames. I am going to hit it up bigtime this weekend with HD Moves to test it across many hours, but I am expecting it to work great.

Aeon Stark is loving awesome, btw. Smooth and sexy!

I would recommend it to anyone.

E: Anyone want me to specifically test anything on it?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Regnevelc posted:

Day 2 Trip Report:

So-far so good, I added the high-gain antenna to my server and that solved any issues with losing connection. I am slowly fixing my library so XBMC reads it correctly, but the ones that it does, loving wow. I love the extra features it provides.

Runs movies flawlessly with minimal (if any) dropped frames. I am going to hit it up bigtime this weekend with HD Moves to test it across many hours, but I am expecting it to work great.

Aeon Stark is loving awesome, btw. Smooth and sexy!

I would recommend it to anyone.

E: Anyone want me to specifically test anything on it?

Ant Renamer is a powerful batch-renaming tool I've used. It's constrained insofar that all your files have to be incorrectly named/formatted the same way for most functions, but it sure is handy.

Features:
* Changing extension
* Replacing character strings by others
* Inserting a character string
* Moving characters
* Deleting several characters
* Enumeration
* Name creation with mp3's Tag (ID v1.1)
* Name creation with file's last modified date and time
* Random names creation
* Case change (uppercase, lowercase, first letter of each word in uppercase, ...)
* Take names from a list/file
* Use of EXIF info
* Regular expressions

I didn't try taking new names from a list, but that sounds useful.

It can also do all of these at once, in the order you specify. For instance, I had some movies that had the year before the title. I moved them to the end, added parentheses and removed the now unnecessary dash.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks, I'll look into that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

My ASRock doesn't have a blu-ray drive.

Does it have an optical drive?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kri kri posted:

Does it have an optical drive?

yes, cd/dvd burner.

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?clickid=115040&name=MB-ION330B&c=CJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah, I dont want any optical, so I guess I will keep looking. Might get that Acer, or the new Dell that comes out soonish.

e:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=acer-_-83-103-228-_-Product

kri kri fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2009