Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
So I am now up to January of 1999 in my quest to rewatch every night of that Attitude era, and holy poo poo the New Age Outlaws were OVER. I think they were more over than HHH and the rest of DX at this point. Both BA Billy Gun and Road Dogg were in 3 matches (combined) on the last ep. of Raw I watched.

Chyna was busy with Mark "Sexual Chocolate" Henry.
HHH is out of the title shot during Mankind's run.
X-Pac is.. X-Pac, he hasn't teamed up with Kane yet and no one cares about him.

QUESTION: Where the New Age Outlaws any good in TNA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The New Age Outlaws were never good so I'll let you guess

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

These matches are entertaining, so I guess you are wrong.

:wotwot:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Supreme Allah posted:

The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Right after Eddie died, the Observer, Torch, and other newsletters started talking about another wrestler being close to death's door if he didn't clean himself up. Eventually they all stopped being vauge, after Angle had gone to TNA and started cutting promos on Vince, and revealed they meant Angle.

Jerusalem posted:

Conflicting statements (mostly from Kurt!) indicate it was something to do with him being overworked and addicted to painkillers and not being happy about the level of influence he had.

Kurt's statements have been, in the order I remember him making them:

#1) I needed to take time off and we mutually decided I could leave.
#2) I needed to get off painkillers but WWE refused to give me time off so I quit.
#3) I worked the WWE into thinking I was a drug addict and going to die so they would give me a release.

#1 was made soon after WWE released him, as he tried to spin the story. Vince then got pissed and gave the "We wanted him to go to rehab and get help, but he refused so we had to fire him" side of the story that's accepted as truthful. #2 was made later, after he had signed with TNA, and there are multiple things that seem to disprove it. When Angle got neck surgery he went with a less-invasive version that would let him get back to wrestling in a shorter amount of time, while WWE wanted him to get fusion surgery that was proven and take the time needed to get better. WWE also wanted him to take time off, or at least stop wrestling, after he injured himself at an ECW house show in a match with RVD, while Angle tried to hide the injury. Plus, WWE had a pretty good track record of helping guys with rehab (Eddie Guerrero, William Regal). #3 is just strange and shows that Angle is the biggest worker, next to Hulk Hogan, or is disjointed from reality. And even if it were true it's still hosed up.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

The New Age Outlaws were never good so I'll let you guess

That's the "too cool for the room" argument. The reality is, the Outlaws were good, not great, in the ring and pretty drat over during the early years of the Attitude era. Up until around Wrestlemania 15, when they had singles title runs, they had strong mid-card tag matches and Road Dogg's ring intro gimmick always got a pop. Once they became singles the act went downhill. The end was when Edge and Christian and The Hardy Boyz began having some of the most entertaining matches in the company and took over the tag team division. That, combined with the D-X heel turn to support Triple H, killed the team and they soon split them up. After that, Road Dogg did an injury angle with Jericho, giving Dogg time off to record a country album that fell through. Then they tried to bring him back with R-Truth (then K-Kwick) with a rap gimmick but he had drug issues that got him fired. Billy Gunn was a mid-carder for life, and the feud with The Rock designed to make him a main event heel was doomed from day one. Still, he had a good body and was acceptable in the ring, so they kept him around for years after that.

The New Age Outlaws probably were the most over part of that version of D-X. Triple H, as a babyface, was okay at the Intercontinental level but never connected with the fans in a main event way. Even once they turned him it took a ton of work to get him over as a viable main eventer, including Mick Foley doing everything he humanly could. X-Pac was entertaining at times, but was no longer the worker he was during his first WWF run and still was an average at best talker. Chyna was a freakshow, but it wasn't until a boob job, jaw reconstruction, and leaving D-X and Triple H that she broke out of her bodyguard gimmick. The biggest thing that version of D-X ever did was be Mankind's friends, since it helped early on in his face turn by showing that other people liked him.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 28, 2009

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
But them showing up with the tank at Nitro was one of the turning points of the Monday night wars! :eng101:

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Here's a New Age Outlaws incident I never understood

I remember during one match when the NAO were having their DX face title run, they did a PPV against the heel Headbangers.

The match was the Headbangers dominating the match cleanly, without NAO getting in any offense, and just when Mosh was about to wrap it up, Billy came in and hit him with a boom box for the DQ.

It was so weird because it wasn't a heel turn or anything. It was just a match where the faces were destroyed by the heels cleanly, got a DQ to retain the gold, and went home.

They didn't even continue the feud, that was it. It just reeked of Russo.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Maybe the Headbangers were shooting, and they New Age Outlaws didn't know the boombox was fake.

THAT would be Russoriffic

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
That was at Judgment Day in 1998. Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

The Headbangers had met the New Age Outlaws the previous month and after dominating most of the match, won via disqualification when the Road Dogg broke a boombox over Mosh's head.[4] Despite titles not changing hands by disqualification, the Headbangers began to declare themselves champions, coming to the ring with toy replica belts and parodying New Age Outlaws pre-match speeches.

The NAO took on the Headbangers and Mark Henry & D-Lo (from the Nation) at Survivor Series and won.

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
Is there a chance that was just pure product placement? Weren't they doing the JVC Boombox Blast of the Week or something around that time, where they'd recap some previous event within a JVC (or something) ad? I remember one of those once upon a time had a stereo actually involved.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It wasn't a JVC Kaboom box that the Outlaws used. When it broke over his head, JR declared it couldn't have been a JVC Kaboom box because it broke so easily.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Apparently JR turned heel and became an independent commentator at one point with his own booth. Did this actually happen?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yes, it did. It was right in front of the King and Cole, it said "JR is Raw" on it, and Bob Holly took an impressive bump through it.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Was JR a heel during the palsy angle?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

They tried to play it up that way. JR was pissed that Michael Cole had his job, so he brought in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to be his personal bobo, set up his own announce table and acted like a dick for three weeks or so. He wound up slapping the poo poo out of somebody (Cole?), screaming "LOOK AT MY FACE WHEN I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!"

Then WWE realized what a loving horrible idea the whole thing was.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

They tried for a few weeks but lets face it no one wants to really boo jr. WWE realised this and the angle was dropped pretty much and eventually JR came back kicked cole in the balls and was the announcer on raw again.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Cole sucks.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was at Judgment Day in 1998. Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

The Headbangers had met the New Age Outlaws the previous month and after dominating most of the match, won via disqualification when the Road Dogg broke a boombox over Mosh's head.[4] Despite titles not changing hands by disqualification, the Headbangers began to declare themselves champions, coming to the ring with toy replica belts and parodying New Age Outlaws pre-match speeches.

The NAO took on the Headbangers and Mark Henry & D-Lo (from the Nation) at Survivor Series and won.

I remember this and was so sad. I was the biggest Headbangers mark on the planet :(

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I brought this up before, but the Headbangers owned in 97-98.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

joshtothemaxx posted:

I remember this and was so sad. I was the biggest Headbangers mark on the planet :(

What about Beaver Cleavage?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

joshtothemaxx posted:

I hated the Headbangers because I could never beat Mosh in WWF Warzone for the N64. That game sucked and a result of my youthful inability to get a grasp of the controls (compared to the superior WCW vs NWO World Tour), I hated the Headbangers.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anybody need to book Goldberg for your private event? Goldberg would love to give a speech! Maybe a cooking demonstration!

https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakers/Goldberg/2504

edit: URL

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 28, 2009

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

chazburgr posted:

I hated the Headbangers because I could never beat Mosh in WWF Warzone for the N64. That game sucked and a result of my youthful inability to get a grasp of the controls (compared to the superior WCW vs NWO World Tour), I hated the Headbangers.

All I know is that Warzone was terrible! It was clunky and slow. However, WCW vs NWO World Tour/Revenge were amazing and me and my buddies played for hours straight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ColeM posted:

All I know is that Warzone was terrible! It was clunky and slow. However, WCW vs NWO World Tour/Revenge were amazing and me and my buddies played for hours straight.

The followup to Warzone was Attitude, which was terrible (but I loved it at the time). All the wrestlers did in-ring voice stuff, and the Headbangers really pissed me off because when they were locked into submission moves they would go,"OW! OW! OWWW.... oh wait, that doesn't hurt :geno:"

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
I loved attitude because I would create a 400 pound, blue skinned female luchador. Whose moves were entirely finishers (which could be normal grapple moves), and a HILARIOUS looking Hurricanrana.

The fact you could change lighting in venues and create your own PPVs, and the sheer # of different match types, overcame the fact it was kind of sluggish.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The followup to Warzone was Attitude, which was terrible (but I loved it at the time). All the wrestlers did in-ring voice stuff, and the Headbangers really pissed me off because when they were locked into submission moves they would go,"OW! OW! OWWW.... oh wait, that doesn't hurt :geno:"

Attitude was good for it's time. It was frustrating to play, but the voices, CD-quality music, and motion capture by the Hardy Boyz were great. I remember my friends and I picked it up from the mall and pulled an all-nighter playing it and unlocking everything. Then the next morning I had to go to work and take short naps at the cash register when nobody was working.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

projecthalaxy posted:

Anybody need to book Goldberg for your private event? Goldberg would love to give a speech! Maybe a cooking demonstration!

https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/speakers/Goldberg/2504

edit: URL

Help me Goldberg, I locked my keys in the car!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

Billy Gunn was a mid-carder for life, and the feud with The Rock designed to make him a main event heel was doomed from day one. Still, he had a good body and was acceptable in the ring, so they kept him around for years after that.

I think calling Gunn acceptable might be doing him a favor - he got visibly winded after like five minutes of wrestling and didn't have enough personality to make up for it. He's one of the best examples of guys being kept around purely for their look. Of course, his retarded "rear end Man" gimmick didn't do him any favors.

Still, he and Road Dogg were entertaining as hell with what little they did. They talked tons of poo poo, Road Dogg sold, and Billy got the hot tag. Sometimes that's all you need.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

New question: Do guys who get moved from one company to another typically get to keep their names/gimmicks/finishers, or do they frequently change? If they do change, is it like copyright stuff, or just rebranding?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I've actually been wondering about the specifics of stuff like that lately as well. Like, why do the Dudleys have to be called Team 3D now but Booker T is still Booker T etc?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Karmine posted:

I've actually been wondering about the specifics of stuff like that lately as well. Like, why do the Dudleys have to be called Team 3D now but Booker T is still Booker T etc?

Dudleys were an ECW copyright that transferred to WWE ownership while Booker T was the creative property of the wrestler.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Axissillian posted:

Dudleys were an ECW copyright that transferred to WWE ownership while Booker T was the creative property of the wrestler.

It's also because Booker T is pretty much his real name. His middle name is Tio.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

It's also because Booker T is pretty much his real name. His middle name is Tio.

Well yeah, you cannot trademark a real name.

But similarly, the reason Christian went as Christian Cage in TNA was because he worked in the Indies under the name so he could avoid the WWE trademark for Christian

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Axissillian posted:

Nope. ECW never thought to trademark the Dudleys. No one did until WWE did.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

TL posted:

Nope. ECW never thought to trademark the Dudleys. No one did until WWE did.

That makes no sense. The Dudleys could still use that name though because they had it before the trademark.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

That makes no sense. The Dudleys could still use that name though because they had it before the trademark.

Would you want to bother taking the WWE to court or just change the name and move on?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Would you want to bother taking the WWE to court or just change the name and move on?

Considering how much money the name is worth? Go to court.

It would not go to court though, its a total loss for WWE

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The Dudley name is worth nothing by itself. What the hell are you talking about? The legal fees alone would cost more than what the name would be worth and the WWE owns all their best matches anyway. What are they going to do, make the money back in T-Shirt sales?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Judakel posted:

The Dudley name is worth nothing by itself. What the hell are you talking about? The legal fees alone would cost more than what the name would be worth and the WWE owns all their best matches anyway. What are they going to do, make the money back in T-Shirt sales?

I don't know, how much money do you think Bubba, D-Von, and Spike have? Because I'm pretty sure they are the only Dudleys that lost the rights to use that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Judakel posted:

You are a fan who has not watched wrestling in years and see a flier for an Independent Show

MAIN EVENT: Team 3D

"Who are they?"

MAIN EVENT: The Dudley Boys

"Oh gently caress, I am buying a ticket"