Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

You are going straight to heaven. Also I think you went a little mad on that big trip of yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
This looks awesome as a back protector, after doing some research.

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/knox-ricochet-back-protector.asp

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That ozymandis thing was kind of sad, but really it is just some dude that gets paralyzed and then kills himself. I'm not entirely shockingly depressed by it though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

soy posted:

That ozymandis thing was kind of sad, but really it is just some dude that gets paralyzed and then kills himself. I'm not entirely shockingly depressed by it though.

You have a young kid who is seemingly going to do something with his life. He's enrolled in law school at Vanderbilt and wants to take a journey before he starts school. During said journey, he suffers a life altering injury that puts him in a wheelchair and it eventually depresses him enough that he commits suicide.

You don't find that depressing? It's kind of sad that you are that apathetic. Actually, it's a bit disturbing.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Scrapez posted:

You don't find that depressing? It's kind of sad that you are that apathetic. Actually, it's a bit disturbing.

That's a bit over the top surely. I agree with soy on this one - it's not a nice story and I wouldn't wish the circumstances on anyone but I don't really find it depressing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I bet you guys laughed all the way through Saving Private Ryan too, didn't you.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Its a shame because the very last post he makes seems like nothing is really going too badly. He made it through the first year of law school, he's trying to unload some of his old motorcycling stuff on the board, and then... suicide. Obviously I didn't know the guy so I have no idea of his attitude throughout the later months of his life, but that was the sad part about it, the fact that he just gave up when he had seemingly started to wrangle his situation and continue with his planned life as best he could.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

sirbeefalot posted:

Its a shame because the very last post he makes seems like nothing is really going too badly. He made it through the first year of law school, he's trying to unload some of his old motorcycling stuff on the board, and then... suicide. Obviously I didn't know the guy so I have no idea of his attitude throughout the later months of his life, but that was the sad part about it, the fact that he just gave up when he had seemingly started to wrangle his situation and continue with his planned life as best he could.

I'm with soy - not too sad over this. When I read the posts where he offered his books I thought, "Oh, he's going to off himself. Huh."

If this was someone I knew, I'd be sad. If it was a well presented story, it could be tragic. It's neither - it's an internet thread without much depth. Tragic poo poo happens all the time and it strikes me as unhealthy to get all worked up about it unless it's somehow made personal.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Well, I am now 100% fine with the decision to sell my motorcycle.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

I'm with soy - not too sad over this. When I read the posts where he offered his books I thought, "Oh, he's going to off himself. Huh."

If this was someone I knew, I'd be sad. If it was a well presented story, it could be tragic. It's neither - it's an internet thread without much depth. Tragic poo poo happens all the time and it strikes me as unhealthy to get all worked up about it unless it's somehow made personal.

We can find the story sad without "getting all worked up over it."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

We can find the story sad without "getting all worked up over it."

Not to be a prick, but I don't know what's getting discussed here that pertains to the crash test thread.

Sad poo poo is sad. To most people. Unless it's not. Whatever. If there's a lesson to learn, it's that mexican donkeys are loving brutal, and impatience has no place on 2 wheels. Back protection posts are good, though I think that the pads people sell are an illusion of safety. The forces that compact or snap the spine (or any bone, for that matter) don't give a poo poo about some piece of plastic, or even metal on your body. That's why cars are cages and not suits of armor with wheels. Helmets are the best protective gear because their structure is outside your skull and can actually protect it. I haven't seen anything like a rigid breastplate that could prevent a spine injury being sold. Plus, the pain in the rear end problem with these kinds of accidents is that he can't tell us what happened, exactly to learn from it, since he had a concussion and lost that time.

Some precautions make sense, but some stuff you can't account for no matter how hard you try. We have our own ozymandius with the side-car thread in this forum. Luckily that turned out better. Sympathy is a separate subject from safety.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Doctor Zero posted:

I bet you guys laughed all the way through Saving Private Ryan too, didn't you.

Only when it's overlaid with Yackety Sax: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Sui7st2q0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Not to be a prick, but I don't know what's getting discussed here that pertains to the crash test thread.

Sad poo poo is sad. To most people. Unless it's not. Whatever. If there's a lesson to learn, it's that mexican donkeys are loving brutal, and impatience has no place on 2 wheels. Back protection posts are good, though I think that the pads people sell are an illusion of safety. The forces that compact or snap the spine (or any bone, for that matter) don't give a poo poo about some piece of plastic, or even metal on your body. That's why cars are cages and not suits of armor with wheels. Helmets are the best protective gear because their structure is outside your skull and can actually protect it. I haven't seen anything like a rigid breastplate that could prevent a spine injury being sold. Plus, the pain in the rear end problem with these kinds of accidents is that he can't tell us what happened, exactly to learn from it, since he had a concussion and lost that time.

Some precautions make sense, but some stuff you can't account for no matter how hard you try. We have our own ozymandius with the side-car thread in this forum. Luckily that turned out better. Sympathy is a separate subject from safety.

Not to mention that there are plenty of injuries than can be caused by compression or hyperextension of the spinal cord that a back protector can do nothing about.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Gear is good, it'll make crashing more pleasant, but it can't save you from running into something head on at 30mph. Gear has nothing to do with actually being a safe rider. Being a good, experienced rider with a good understanding of how to approach dangerous situations will do much more to save you injury, pain, and death than all the gear in the world.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Derailing the ozymandias discussion for a minute, here is a near-crash story that left my heart slamming for the next hour:

It was about 8:00 PM or so here in B-more and just about dark. There was a rain starting and I was riding my bike from the gym back to my office to try and wait it out. I slowed gradually and kept checking my mirror as my left-hand turn approached--I am always scared of getting slammed if I am not at a light or stop sign (still scared at those, but less so). Anyway, the road is Charles street and it's a stretch where people typically do 50-55 despite the speed limit being 35. I'm guilty of this too but it is a little hairy pulling out/turning on the bike. As I am slowing to turn, I see the car directly behind me slow appropriately and feel relieved. If the guy behind me slows, I can't get rear-ended. Traffic in the opposite lane clears and as I start to turn I hear an explosion directly behind me. Some bitch on a cell phone in a sedan slammed the guy behind me at full speed. I realized after I thought about it for a second I didn't even hear her skid--she never touched her brakes. I was shaking as I pulled into the college. Made me question riding for five or so minutes.

I am not really sure what I could have done to avoid that accident? I guess I would be dead?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

Derailing the ozymandias discussion for a minute, here is a near-crash story that left my heart slamming for the next hour:

It was about 8:00 PM or so here in B-more and just about dark. There was a rain starting and I was riding my bike from the gym back to my office to try and wait it out. I slowed gradually and kept checking my mirror as my left-hand turn approached--I am always scared of getting slammed if I am not at a light or stop sign (still scared at those, but less so). Anyway, the road is Charles street and it's a stretch where people typically do 50-55 despite the speed limit being 35. I'm guilty of this too but it is a little hairy pulling out/turning on the bike. As I am slowing to turn, I see the car directly behind me slow appropriately and feel relieved. If the guy behind me slows, I can't get rear-ended. Traffic in the opposite lane clears and as I start to turn I hear an explosion directly behind me. Some bitch on a cell phone in a sedan slammed the guy behind me at full speed. I realized after I thought about it for a second I didn't even hear her skid--she never touched her brakes. I was shaking as I pulled into the college. Made me question riding for five or so minutes.

I am not really sure what I could have done to avoid that accident? I guess I would be dead?

You did the best possible thing: You checked your mirrors before slowing to verify that the car behind you was slowing down.

If you see the person behind you isn't slowing, you do whatever the gently caress you need to do to get out of the way. Ditch the bike, get up on the curb, pull into traffic and hug the right side of the lane...

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
A few days ago, while riding home from the grocery store an old man on a four-wheeler drove out into traffic right in front of me. I ended up doing an accidental stoppie (and I ride an xj600, I'm surprised the front brakes were even able). Anyhow I ended up stopping a few inches short of plowing into the guy. We both sat there staring at each other for a moment, then he muttered "poo poo" and reversed back into his apartment complex.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I have the worst luck. 2 weeks after my last little accident, I had a pretty major one. I hit a deer going about 60mph around 10pm Wednesday night. God drat thing jumped right in front of me. I shouldn't have been going down that road on such a dark night (Rt 61 northbound just outside of Hannibal, MO) But oh well. I saw it in time to try and apply the brakes, but there just wasn't enough room to slow down or react past that.

I just got a little bruise on my left elbow and i sprained my right ankle. Crazy, huh? I haven't seen the bike yet, it was towed to the nearby burg of Palmyra and I've got the towing guys info for my insurance. I'll get pics once my foot heals enough to walk on so I can find my camera. It was the scariest thing of my life and I'm just thankful that I'm alive, and not paralyzed.

Now I just don't know if I'm going to be able to ride again. I've got to drop money on all new gear (my boots and gloves came out relatively unscathed) So I won't even be able to afford it for a while. Until then we'll just have to wait and see.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Glad to hear you came out relatively OK, all things considered, I'm sure it could have been bad.

Don't worry your head too much about if your going to ride again soon at this point, let the whole picture sink in and relax for a bit, if your soon to jump back on the wagon it'll be plenty clear plenty soon.

Hope the injuries you do have heal quickly, and drat son, have yourself a few 'Whoo! that coulda sucked!' beers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo dude, glad you're alright.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Get any steaks?

It should be tender now.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
MMM, deer steaks.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Methusulah posted:

I have the worst luck. 2 weeks after my last little accident, I had a pretty major one. I hit a deer going about 60mph around 10pm Wednesday night. God drat thing jumped right in front of me. I shouldn't have been going down that road on such a dark night (Rt 61 northbound just outside of Hannibal, MO) But oh well. I saw it in time to try and apply the brakes, but there just wasn't enough room to slow down or react past that.

I just got a little bruise on my left elbow and i sprained my right ankle. Crazy, huh? I haven't seen the bike yet, it was towed to the nearby burg of Palmyra and I've got the towing guys info for my insurance. I'll get pics once my foot heals enough to walk on so I can find my camera. It was the scariest thing of my life and I'm just thankful that I'm alive, and not paralyzed.

Now I just don't know if I'm going to be able to ride again. I've got to drop money on all new gear (my boots and gloves came out relatively unscathed) So I won't even be able to afford it for a while. Until then we'll just have to wait and see.

Check with your insurance company. I was able to claim my helmet, gloves and part of my suit with one of my crashes.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Double post:
Bam! Found my camera, right next to me on my desk. God drat I'm blind. Anyway:

It's shiny because it started to melt
[Right shoulder blade]

Tear on the seam
[Behind left arm]

Connecting zipper ripped and ruined

Hole in left shoulder

Hole/tear in left forearm

Left forearm again

Left elbow (clip for size reference :)

Wrapped right foot

Right backside

Right knee

Left knee

Tear on left hip.

Most of the damage was to the left side, except for the foot. I can only guess I got thrown off and either landed on my right foot and went tumbling side over side (i remember sliding a little too) or my foot connected with the ride when i came near to my stopping point. I had three cars go right around me, so I flipped them off and shouted Assholes! to them. loving assholes. Then a van of old ladies stopped to call 911 and 2 or 3 truckers stopped and covered me with blankets until the ambulance got there.

This watch was on my handlebars, and came out unscathed. The officer brought it to me in the ambulance. It was a gift from a lady in florida whom I fixed some heirloom watches for. Glad I got it back.

My helmet was taken with the bike so hopefully I'll get some pictures of that next week.

@revenant: I'll definitely look into that. I'm hoping they will, it's all trashed except for my gloves and boots- surprisingly.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 2, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
in a weird parallel thing, when the shop that repaired my bike did so, they ordered the wrong part for a piece of fascia that was scratched. Apparently in years past it was a major structural piece, but in my year it was cheap bolt-on. Hooray for improvements. Anyway, their estimate was based on the other part, and insurance paid for it. I guess there's some sort of non-refundable thing going on, and long and the short of it is that I have 400 bucks of store credit to buy gear, get the bike serviced or quote 'whatever' unquote.

Anyway, you may run into similar unusual shop policies which work in your favor.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Methusulah posted:

I hit some unprocessed venison

I can count at least twice that I've narrowly avoided hitting deer only because I was already covering/gently on the brakes approaching them as they stared at me dumbly from the side of the road. So then when they inevitably try to race me and jump out in front of me, there's no lag time to go to full brakes.

I dunno what the gently caress is with those dumb animals, but they do that to me all the time on my bicycle as well.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
This just does not get old.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can count at least twice that I've narrowly avoided hitting deer only because I was already covering/gently on the brakes approaching them as they stared at me dumbly from the side of the road. So then when they inevitably try to race me and jump out in front of me, there's no lag time to go to full brakes.

I dunno what the gently caress is with those dumb animals, but they do that to me all the time on my bicycle as well.

It was just so dark I didn't even see it until it was in the headlight. I think it just saw the light and since it could see an empty road it tried to jump across, not realizing a bike was screaming behind the light. Dumb animals indeed. Bah.

the_reject
May 30, 2002
While not on par with most of this thread, I dropped a bike for the first time today.

Skipping the reasons why, I was on a friend's bike riding to a parking area where he and another friend were waiting for me. We were parked on gravel, relatively fresh and not packed down hard. Not my first time on gravel, and certainly not my first time on gravel today (or my first time on gravel on his bike today, for that matter).

For some stupid reason, as soon as I slowed down to enter the gravel and began turning, I must have grabbed the front brake. The bike went down to the right. I nearly caught it, but the bike used my right leg as a fulcrum and the front tire just slid left in the gravel. The only damage was a small scratch on the mirror of his Suzuki Intruder, and large bruises to my pride and ego.

After the bike hit the ground, it's momentum combined with my awkward stance resulting from my failed attempt to save it caused me to fall on the right knee of my BMW Motorrad Summer pants. The knee armor prevented me from feeling any of the rocks underneath. But not even my Rallye 2 Pro jacket could soften the blow of that sinking feeling of dropping your buddy's bike right in front of him at less than 2 miles per hour.

I really need to get a dirt bike and learn how to ride on things not made of asphalt and concrete. I've been telling myself this now for a few months, so hopefully this will be the impetus to actually do it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have no dirt experience, but I've kept mostly upright by never using my front brake at all when not on pavement. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it kept the CBR scratch free when I lived on a the end of a mile long gravel driveway for a year.
I am with you though. I need to beg/borrow/steal a dirt bike and learn the proper way to do it. Or the proper way to crash gracefully into the ground in front of everyone.

the_reject
May 30, 2002

Bugdrvr posted:

I have no dirt experience, but I've kept mostly upright by never using my front brake at all when not on pavement.
That was my usual method of operation, too. I'm perplexed as to why I felt the need to grab a fistful of front brake when I had never done so before. You know, outside of lack of any real technique for off-pavement riding, of course.

quote:

Or the proper way to crash gracefully into the ground in front of everyone.
When you find out this information, be sure to share.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Last Thursday I was about 3 miles from my house stopped behind a minivan that was waiting to turn left in my lane. Guy in a 1999 Mazda pickup didn't see my red nonmoving bike or the stationary minivan in front of me and tried to drive straight up my rear end at roughly 35mph.

He went straight into the back of me, catapulting me off the bike and then crushing the bike into the back of the minivan, which had such bad damage that it had to be towed as well. Damage to the bike is pretty total: obviously exhaust, entire tail, both side fairings, tank, nose fairing, and the front fork has been bent backwards so that the front wheel is almost touching the bodywork.

No, the crashed GSXR in the back is not related. You can see in one of these other pictures that it was worse off than mine.

Transported by ambulance to the hospital. After a ton of Xrays, MRIs, some bloody urine, and several bags of fluid, they determined that I have a single fractured vertebrae in my lower back. Not very fun, but hey, could be a lot worse. I also had some road rash on my left arm but that poo poo is almost already healed and not even worth mentioning.

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 14, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

iroc_dis posted:

Got rear-ended by a dumbass in a pickup

Well, poo poo! Could have been a lot worse, I'm surprised you're in as good of shape as you are. How'd your gear hold up?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo. Glad you're alright...are you getting taken care of insurancewise?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well, poo poo! Could have been a lot worse, I'm surprised you're in as good of shape as you are. How'd your gear hold up?

Alpinestars boots and gloves didn't even get scratched. My Shoei helmet got beat up pretty good. Kinda crazy when you look at it and think that could have been your head. Bleh.

Bad part was that I was wearing jeans and a tshirt. I know, not smart considering I have 3 jackets in my closet and a 1pc suit, but that day I was seriously just driving down the street to fill up the gas tank and then head back. Jeans and my legs underneath were untouched. My shirt got ripped up and then cut off by the nurses.

Really the only gear loss is the helmet. Luckily I'm friends with the manager of the local Cycle Gear and he usually hooks me up on good prices for stuff. I'll probably replace this RF1k with another RF1k, or depending on the deal maybe bump for an RF1100.

Z3n posted:

Holy poo poo. Glad you're alright...are you getting taken care of insurancewise?

Insurance is still in the process. Homeboy had Geico and from talking with my State Farm agent, it seems like a decently open/shut "he pays for loving EVERYTHING" type of claim. I've asked around and already have legal counsel in mind in case he decides to place stupid.

edit// The search begins for a 2007+ Kawi ZX6r or Honda 600rr.

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 14, 2009

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

iroc_dis posted:

Really the only gear loss is the helmet. Luckily I'm friends with the manager of the local Cycle Gear and he usually hooks me up on good prices for stuff. I'll probably replace this RF1k with another RF1k, or depending on the deal maybe bump for an RF1100.

I could be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure that your new helmet should be courtesy of the blind mfer's insurance.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Indeed. It took five calls to my own insurance, but when I dumped my bike (solo wreck), they covered the cost of the new helmet.

Go back to the place where you bought it and they'll print you a new receipt to fax to the insurance company.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I suppose maybe it's time to talk about my second real crash. I learned my lesson on the street, but the dirt.. notsomuch.

At the time I owned a 1983 RM250. A bike with a torque curve that resembled the letter P. I had gotten good at riding the bike along the part of the torque curve I wanted, and could control it pretty well.

It was a test ride day at fox valley off road. I had tried out all sorts of bikes that day. A couple quads, a XR100, a CRF230, a CRF250R, a CRF450R, a CRF250X, and... last ride of the day, a CRF450X.

It was a trail ride. Tight singletrack, or quad paths. I was following a guy with a well worn KDX200. I'd see him slide his bike around corners, so I'd try it. Turns out he was doing it differently than I was.

I bought the RM250 to teach me how to handle sliding motorcycles. And I learned a lot from it. Sliding both the front and rear tires around corners is not something that scares me nearly as much as it used to. And the practice I got on the RM saved my butt over the years. To break the back tire loose on the RM, I just whacked the throttle open, and let the motor do it's work. I'd never actually had it hook up and go when I was trying to corner. This is where things went awry.

The guy I'm following takes a sharp right turn and dips through the brush. I go to follow. The path he took opened out onto an access path. I dropped into the little trail, and opened the throttle. Expecting the back tire to slide and to do a fun little powerslide out into the access trail. However, things did not go down like that. Instead, I opened the throttle, just as the bike was going through a dip in the trail, the tire hooked up as if it were riding in a cogged track. The bike took off, I did not. I pulled the throttle open as I slid back on the seat. Cue 45hp of honda hualing me and the motorcycle straight across the access path in a straight line.

Panic set in. I couldn't reach any controls for a moment. I struggled back forward on the bike, and managed to get the clutch and front brake. Once again physics takes over. 200lbs of nero flys forward as the bike comes to a halt right at the edge of the access path. Those of you who are familiar with this nero know that i'm 5'5", and when sitting on a MX/enduro I have 3-6" of clearance under my toes if I don't slide off the side of the seat to get a foot down.

This means the bike isn't going to stay standing up. I reach forward, reaching under the handlebars. The bike falls over. My body is still moving, but my forearm is pinned under bars with the bike on it's side. I flip over the front of the bike. This executes a perfect jointbreak on my right elbow.

The damage
I broke my helmet, and the end of my humerus.

The fix
The fix... oh boy.

They had to break my radius to gain access to the joint to fix my humorus. That really pissed off my wrist, as breaking the radius meant changing the position of my radius at my wrist.

And I bought a new helmet.

And I sold the RM250. and I bought a WR250.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Iroc_dis luckily you were on a crotch rocket with a subframe that acted like a catapult and ejected you to safety. A low level cruiser or chopper would have had the rider crushed between both cages.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Nerobro posted:

The fix
The fix... oh boy.

Oh. God. Do you have to keep those in? I just got my rod out (halfway down page 3) and it was the best decision I ever made. Couldn't imagine having to live with metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
yup, they're still in there. The only complication was a flare up of brusitis a month back or so. Otherwise... there is a benefit. I no longer have a funny bone on my right elbow.

• Locked thread