Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thermopyle posted:

Not only that, the win7/vista start menu all but replaced Launchy for me, as they do the same basic thing.

Does the search bar in Win7 let you automatically press Enter to launch the first program listed in the search, or do you have to actually double click on it like most other stuff in the Start menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreatGreen posted:

Does the search bar in Win7 let you automatically press Enter to launch the first program listed in the search, or do you have to actually double click on it like most other stuff in the Start menu?

I thought this was the case, so I tested it:

Winkey > c > a > l > Enter popped calculator right up. So I'm going to say yes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreatGreen posted:

Have you ever used the Start menu? You don't have to double click anything on it.

Anyway, as mentioned, type a couple letters and press enter.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

GreatGreen posted:

Does the search bar in Win7 let you automatically press Enter to launch the first program listed in the search

Yes.

See also: Vista.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrC posted:

Wait wait wait... as in Office 2007?

Because hot drat if my wife wouldn't love some of that on her laptop.

What version do you have of Office 2007? Home And Student always gives you the rights to use it on 3 computers at once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreatGreen posted:

Not only that, it provides a list of other things you can select with the cursor keys.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I love the people that are like 'Flip3d? Fast Search from the Start Menu? Man, Win7 rocks! I'm glad I skipped Vista!'

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

To be fair, when (in early September) the SMART system started sending out alerts, then Windows 7 started alerting me to issues. It's just that it ignored all the bad block stuff for a few months, first.

Got my replacement drive working. Too bad it's one of the 'noisy' drives you get occasionally. The first one was whisper-quiet. :sigh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Noisy how?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

syphon posted:

I love the people that are like 'Flip3d? Fast Search from the Start Menu? Man, Win7 rocks! I'm glad I skipped Vista!'

In a only-slightly related topic, I moved positions and work and got a new role maintaining and developing installers for our software. They set me up with a Win7 x64 environment, which I'm learning to love as I find new UI features each day. My only real experience with Vista was with my HTPC, and that thing would always CRAWL for some reason, to where I stopped using media center and just launch files from Explorer. SP2 only helped a little in the speed department - I don't know why it would churn on the hard drive so loving much, but it was the worst when coming out of hibernate... even 5-10 minutes later it took ages to get it to respond to anything.

So by comparison, Win7 is dreamy and I plan on upgrading both my desktop and my HTPC to it. But with the start menu on my work computer, that type-to-search function always takes forever. Does Windows not index this somewhere, or what? The computer grinds to a halt while it searches for something simple, whereas it would've been much faster to just traverse the start menu folder structure to find it in the first place. Is there something I can do about this, or is there a way to avoid this in the future?

I also hate how Winkey -> U doesn't take you to the shut down menu in Vista/7 like it did in Win2k and XP. I haven't gotten used to Winkey -> right arrow to access the power down options without my mouse.

Morphal
Dec 17, 2002

O'riginal posted:

Just wanted to let folks know, if you are attending the "New Efficiency" seminars to get a free copy of Windows 7 -- I went today (Minneapolis), and they are handing out Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit discs.

Ryokurin posted:

BTW, if any of you guys are signed up for "the New efficiency" meetings, they are giving you 7 Ultimate, not Pro, which is a nice surprise.

Oh cool, that's good news for me because I might actually use one of the Ultimate-only features. I've been learning a little Brazilian Portuguese and I thought it might be fun to be able to switch my interface language back and forth. :)

Also, I'm going to the event in Kansas City, MO on November 4th. Out of curiosity, did you guys get the retail-type box and stuff, or just a disc in a sleeve or something? And if you've installed it already, did you install the 32-bit version from the disc, or did you get 64-bit media from elsewhere to install the 64-bit version? I'll probably just install my copy on my laptop (which only has a 32-bit CPU anyway), but I'm just wondering if I'll have the option to install the 64-bit OS instead on a different computer if I change my mind about that.

MrC posted:

Wait wait wait... as in Office 2007?

Because hot drat if my wife wouldn't love some of that on her laptop.

For *non-OEM* versions of Office, excluding the Home and Student version, you can install a second copy on your laptop for your own use. For retail copies of the Home and Student version, you can install up to 3 total copies on computers at home for non-commercial use by people who live there.
Sources:
(PDF link) http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Office%20Standard_2007_English_6f8e0800-18d6-436e-8af4-b29ded2e4396.pdf

Microsoft Office 2007 Retail EULA posted:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license,
you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed
device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the
licensed device.
b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for
use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

(PDF link) http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Office%20Home%20and%20Student_2007_English_bc25f42d-51f9-4e57-8a41-846bca63054a.pdf

Microsoft Office 2007 Retail Home and Student EULA posted:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license,
you must assign that license to a device. That device is a “licensed
device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on three
licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there. The
software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or revenuegenerating
business activities.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an 8GB USB flash drive that 7 Pro x64 won't read properly most of the time. It will just hang. It will also halt any other processes e.g. opening Winamp until the drive is just unplugged. The funny thing is, this wasn't a problem when I was using XP Pro SP3 before and the drive works perfectly fine on other computers so it's not the drive. It's not the USB port because other flash drives will work fine on it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I haven't run into something like that, but have you tried formatting it? It almost sounds like the computer is hanging because of some compatibility issue with the drive itself.

Check out the event logs when you insert and take out the drive, maybe that will tell you some more info.

E: I want to thank the person that posted about DisplayFusion. I have a 22" LCD and a 30" widescreen tube HDTV, and I hated the fact that Windows wouldn't let me fullscreen on only one display. With DisplayFusion and my video cards HDMI output, I'm able to watch movies and game on the TV while I browse the net and screw around on the LCD. And do independent resolutions for each screen, plus different wallpapers for each. It's only $23.02, totally worth it if you need expanded multi-screen functions.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 29, 2009

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Morphal posted:

Oh cool, that's good news for me because I might actually use one of the Ultimate-only features. I've been learning a little Brazilian Portuguese and I thought it might be fun to be able to switch my interface language back and forth. :)

Also, I'm going to the event in Kansas City, MO on November 4th. Out of curiosity, did you guys get the retail-type box and stuff, or just a disc in a sleeve or something? And if you've installed it already, did you install the 32-bit version from the disc, or did you get 64-bit media from elsewhere to install the 64-bit version? I'll probably just install my copy on my laptop (which only has a 32-bit CPU anyway), but I'm just wondering if I'll have the option to install the 64-bit OS instead on a different computer if I change my mind about that.

They give OEM copies at shows like these, and it's listed on the back of the sleeve, "Contains 32 and/or 64-bit software" the one I received was 32-bit only, but if its like Vista the key should be interchangeable so I'm just going to use a 64-bit CD from my purchased copies when I'm ready to build.

I was planning on installing it on a HTPC yesterday, but I'm just going to hold off and keep this for a PC I plan on building next month and install the retail version of professional on the HTPC later, if not just keep Vista on it as I don't use MCE.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Noisy how?

As in, I can also hear it when the HDD light comes on. Just a faint noise, hard to describe.

I've had drives like this before that worked fine for years. It's just a little noisy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
just wondering if anyone knows:

tl;dr
1) does the price for new MS OS's (full version) historically rise from the intro price, or do folks think the price will stay the same?
2) does anyone know if the price to upgrade from RC1 will be cheaper than buying the full version, come June 2010?

krushgroove posted:

I want to get Win 7 for my desktop (primarily a gaming rig using XP OEM, which can't be upgraded to 7), and Amazon.co.uk has the retail pre-order for both versions of Home Premium for £65. The normal retail price after release will be £80 for the upgrade and £150 for the full version.

When 7 is first released I can save quite a lot now instead of waiting a couple of months, when I'll have more money. So my question is, does anything think/know the intro prices for the full version will stay the same as the upgrade for a while to get people to buy it, or what?

Second question: Does anyone know if there will be discounted pricing come July, for people that have RC1 installed? I plan to put RC1 on my laptop, which is pretty new but not that powerful and loaded with Vista. Unfortunately the free upgrade offer doesn't apply to my model though :smith: so I'll have to get another full version copy, or just use the laptop for 2 hours at a time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an 8GB USB flash drive that 7 Pro x64 won't read properly most of the time. It will just hang. It will also halt any other processes e.g. opening Winamp until the drive is just unplugged. The funny thing is, this wasn't a problem when I was using XP Pro SP3 before and the drive works perfectly fine on other computers so it's not the drive. It's not the USB port because other flash drives will work fine on it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Have you tried a different USB port? One flash drive I have works fine in one port, but locks everything up in the other port, yet every other device works fine in that port.

And yeah, just reformat the whole thing, or run a consistency check. If there is anything really big on it, it's probably spread all over the flash memory and slowing it down. I once had a three gig file on my four gig flash drive be totally garbage because it was spread all over the place because of other files on the drive.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

krushgroove posted:

tl;dr
1) does the price for new MS OS's (full version) historically rise from the intro price, or do folks think the price will stay the same?
2) does anyone know if the price to upgrade from RC1 will be cheaper than buying the full version, come June 2010?

Price stays the same throughout life.

You should format and install the final fresh, although there is a way to force a upgrade (sorry you'll have to read the thread to find it) upgrades are cheaper than full, but upgrades require you have previous software installed and authenticated first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

krushgroove posted:

tl;dr

1) It stays the same.
2) You can buy the Upgrade edition of Windows, which is cheaper than the full version, and use it to upgrade from the RC until March 2010. You can't use it after then, because Windows 7 Upgrade requires an ACTIVATED install to upgrade from. After March 2010, RC installs will not be activated as they'll be shutting down every 2 hours and poo poo.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Vista Ultimate dropped from $400 to $320 or something.
Windows 7 Ultimate is starting at $320.

Price dropping is NOT typical, but they've never gone up. Even over the years, they've stayed around the same.

Windows 2000 Professional: $300
Windows XP Professional: $300
Windows Vista Business: $300
Windows 7 Professional: $300

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't know why it would churn on the hard drive so loving much, but it was the worst when coming out of hibernate... even 5-10 minutes later it took ages to get it to respond to anything.

The computer grinds to a halt while it searches for something simple, whereas it would've been much faster to just traverse the start menu folder structure to find it in the first place.

In both cases, it sounds like your machines don't have enough RAM. 2GB should make everything run smooth. The latter problem might also be because you turned indexing off. My Vista machine does the search instantaneously.

Another good feature to keep in mind is that the start menu search behaves like Firefox's location bar, so programs and documents you access more frequently will show up first.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

jokrswild posted:

I had Vista running on a machine with similar specs, and it ran just fine. Heck, I'm running Vista on a 2.4GHz P4 with a geforce 8400 and 2gb ram. You'll be fine.

Take a look at what Pentium D you have. Check to see if it's 64 bit and if it support Virtualization. That way you can run Win7 x64 with XP mode available if you have any problems.

I did some googling and it seems my processor is 64-bit. So, to get to Win7 64bit from WinXP 32bit I need to have a full version, right? Or can I get away with the student upgrade for cheap?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ryokurin posted:

Price stays the same throughout life.

You should format and install the final fresh, although there is a way to force a upgrade (sorry you'll have to read the thread to find it) upgrades are cheaper than full, but upgrades require you have previous software installed and authenticated first.

fishmech posted:

1) It stays the same.
2) You can buy the Upgrade edition of Windows, which is cheaper than the full version, and use it to upgrade from the RC until March 2010. You can't use it after then, because Windows 7 Upgrade requires an ACTIVATED install to upgrade from. After March 2010, RC installs will not be activated as they'll be shutting down every 2 hours and poo poo.

Thanks guys, sounds like it'd be best if I pre-ordered 2 full versions at the pre-order special price, but I can't afford it so I'll probably just pre-order one full version for the gaming desktop and see how I feel later on about upgrading the laptop.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

OEM prices released.

$190 for a full OEM of Ultimate, $110 for Home Premium. I like these pricings.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
This maybe a stupid question, but if I have a full version of 7 Ultimate, can I used it to simply upgrade or do I have to reinstall Windows completely? (I currently have Vista Ultimate.)

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

jew$ posted:

This maybe a stupid question, but if I have a full version of 7 Ultimate, can I used it to simply upgrade or do I have to reinstall Windows completely? (I currently have Vista Ultimate.)

You can do an inplace upgrade, but its not always a good idea, but the option is there. As long as you're going 64 to 64 or 32 to 32 bit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pwnyXpress posted:

I did some googling and it seems my processor is 64-bit. So, to get to Win7 64bit from WinXP 32bit I need to have a full version, right? Or can I get away with the student upgrade for cheap?

You've always been able to buy an upgrade to 64 bit from a 32 bit system, it's just that it will have to be a clean install. And since XP to 7 requires a clean install anyway (the upgrade disc will do this) you aren't missing anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Have you tried a different USB port? One flash drive I have works fine in one port, but locks everything up in the other port, yet every other device works fine in that port.

And yeah, just reformat the whole thing, or run a consistency check. If there is anything really big on it, it's probably spread all over the flash memory and slowing it down. I once had a three gig file on my four gig flash drive be totally garbage because it was spread all over the place because of other files on the drive.
I've reformatted it multiple times. It always reads fine in WinXP and it just read fine on a Vista 32bit machine, but in both the Win7 64-bit RC and RTM I've had this issue on all of my laptop's USB ports. Basically, the activity LED on the drive will flash for a few seconds when I plug it in, then it will go dark (this is when it doesn't work). It may or may not show up in Windows Explorer right away, but even if it eventually does, it's non responsive, i.e. opening it up in explorer the LED still won't flash.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

You've always been able to buy an upgrade to 64 bit from a 32 bit system, it's just that it will have to be a clean install. And since XP to 7 requires a clean install anyway (the upgrade disc will do this) you aren't missing anything.

So I just realized the $30 upgrade for the student thing is Home Premium, not Professional. Would it be worth it to go Pro? I mainly use my system for gaming, internet, and some audio stuff.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

pwnyXpress posted:

So I just realized the $30 upgrade for the student thing is Home Premium, not Professional. Would it be worth it to go Pro? I mainly use my system for gaming, internet, and some audio stuff.
Click the big yellow bar below that says "Need to join your schools domain?", it'll take you to Professional. Same price.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

The Gasmask posted:

E: I want to thank the person that posted about DisplayFusion. I have a 22" LCD and a 30" widescreen tube HDTV, and I hated the fact that Windows wouldn't let me fullscreen on only one display. With DisplayFusion and my video cards HDMI output, I'm able to watch movies and game on the TV while I browse the net and screw around on the LCD. And do independent resolutions for each screen, plus different wallpapers for each. It's only $23.02, totally worth it if you need expanded multi-screen functions.
What video card do you have? I've always been able to do this on my various Nvidia cards (independent resolutions, full screens, wallpapers) without extra software...

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Does Display Fusion's extended taskbar allow you to rearrange the taskbar icons via drag and drop like you can with the Windows 7 taskbar?

That is one of the killer features I use with Taskbar Shuffle, which supports Ultramon.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Armourking posted:

What video card do you have? I've always been able to do this on my various Nvidia cards (independent resolutions, full screens, wallpapers) without extra software...

The Vista nVidia drivers killed the independent wallpaper functionality.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
I am sure this is an absolute longshot, does anyone have a way of getting the Cisco VPN client working in Windows 7 64-bit? The only way I've been successful so far is by bridging a connection to a WXP VMW image. The NCP VPN client works but they want like, 120$/user to run it and the Shrewsoft one wont work. Any alternatives?

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 29, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
That's the best you're going to get, Cisco does not and has no plans to support the free client in 64-bit Windows.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Swilo posted:

That's the best you're going to get, Cisco does not and has no plans to support the free client in 64-bit Windows.

I really hope the release of Windows 7 kicks Cisco in the rear end to get with it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It's totally not a reasonable solution, but I ended up using XPMode for this. I just set up an XP virtual machine to VPN in with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cisco is phasing out the IPSEC client. Their solution is the AnyConnect client which is SSL only. They now require you to purchase SSL cals for their PIX to use VPN, where as before IPSEC was "free".

The AnyConnect client works in 7x64, for I use it daily.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Belldandy posted:

I really hope the release of Windows 7 kicks Cisco in the rear end to get with it.

Windows 2003/XP went 64-bit 6 years ago.

Vista x64, with Microsoft's "must be 64-bit compatible in order to even be considered Vista Certified" requirement happened 3 years ago.

Cisco has been sitting with their thumbs up their asses this entire time. They haven't supported poo poo since XP was released in 2001, 8 years ago.

Why would you think Windows 7 would change anything?

Like others have mentioned, I started using a Virtual Machine running 32-bit just for VPN access.
If your VPN device is set up for Split-Tunneling, you can use the 32-bit Cisco VPN client under XP Mode in Windows 7 - it works almost like a native client. Just run it from the Windows 7 Start Menu and even minimize it to the Windows 7 Tray.
Make sure to enable Sharing in XP, and use "route add" command to add the VPN IP ranges you need access to under Windows 7.

I have a crappy guide here:
http://xenomorph.net/guides/cisco-vpn-x64/

I haven't really done VPN in a while, as I have barely needed it for my current employer. At my last employer, I'd stay connected 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Given that Virtual PC is free even for Win7 Home users, maybe a stripped down linux distro running the Cisco linux client would be the way to go. Would probably weigh in at less than 100Mb and boot a hell of a lot faster than Virtualised XP. Corporates could even just distribute the VM image without giving the users any passwords to access it. Certainly cheaper than paying to upgrade all the employees Win 7 Home installs to Pro, or buying them all an XP licence.