Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

qentiox posted:

I'm pregnant! I'm pretty excited. Gonna call the doctor Monday.

Yay! Congratulations!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

Sweeeeeeeeet! Congratulations! :)

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

Woohoo, I am so excited for you!!!!

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

I'm so happy for you guys - congratulations!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

Wow, congrats!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

Congrats! Hope everything goes well :)

I feel bloated and my breasts are sore. I'm pretty sure it's just my hormones adjusting themselves after going off the pill, but I've bought a home pregnancy test just to make sure. It's a little tricky when I haven't gotten my cycle back yet, because I don't know when my period is supposed to appear.

Edit: drat it, the test was a dud! :( Now I have to wait another day to collect my fresh morning pee...

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 28, 2009

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I broke my basal thermometer :cry:

I was shaking it down last night to be ready for the morning and it slipped from my hand and flew across the room and hit the wall breaking it. At least I already ovulated this month.

Waiting to hear the results of my blood test and sonogram they took of my insides. Hopefully its all good news and we've just been unlucky! My family is gone after visiting for the week. Thank god I no longer have to listen to my mom telling me I should have a baby. (they don't know we're trying. I don't need the stress of her calling me every day and asking me if I'm pregnant yet and giving me advise on how to do it)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I'm sure some of you might already know this, but I'm going to be joining the ranks of the Getting Knocked Up thread again. We went in last Monday for the first scheduled ultrasound and the fetus had stopped developing at 6w5d and I was supposed to be at 8w5d. I had been having some very light bleeding over the weekend that was getting heavier and brighter as the weekend went on, so I was sort of bracing myself for it. I had my D&C this past Thursday and I'm so glad I did it. My post-procedure bleeding is down to nearly nothing now - just a little spotting that's visible when I wipe after peeing. I couldn't imagine waiting up to 4 weeks for it to happen naturally.

The doctor says I should wait for my period again to be able to better estimate dates and such, but if I ovulate this month, you can drat well be sure that we're trying.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
Chickalicious, I'm sorry to hear that!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Chickalicious posted:

I'm sure some of you might already know this, but I'm going to be joining the ranks of the Getting Knocked Up thread again. We went in last Monday for the first scheduled ultrasound and the fetus had stopped developing at 6w5d and I was supposed to be at 8w5d. I had been having some very light bleeding over the weekend that was getting heavier and brighter as the weekend went on, so I was sort of bracing myself for it. I had my D&C this past Thursday and I'm so glad I did it. My post-procedure bleeding is down to nearly nothing now - just a little spotting that's visible when I wipe after peeing. I couldn't imagine waiting up to 4 weeks for it to happen naturally.

The doctor says I should wait for my period again to be able to better estimate dates and such, but if I ovulate this month, you can drat well be sure that we're trying.
Glad you're doing a bit better. My fingers are crossed.

Some people say that you're more fertile right after a miscarriage. I dunno if it's true or not, but I hope for you that it is.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Lannie posted:

Glad you're doing a bit better. My fingers are crossed.

Some people say that you're more fertile right after a miscarriage. I dunno if it's true or not, but I hope for you that it is.

I have absolutely heard this as well-- something about your body already being in baby-making mode. I have my fingers crossed that this is the case for you, Chicky!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm so sorry Chickalicious. Hugs!

Lannie, you may be right, my SIL got pregnant 3 weeks after her miscarriage.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I had a miscarriage in late September/early October of 2007 and I got pregnant with Dex December of '07, so I'm a firm believer it's true.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Good luck, Chickalicious!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Got my tests back and all my stuff looks good. I think we've just been unlucky. Going based on how I personally feel my body is functioning, I think I didn't have a good until this past July after going off the pill in January. I feel relieved. The Dr. said we could do a semen analysis, but I'm not actually sure if our insurance would cover it. There's not reason for me to think that's an issue though. If we go 6 more months and there's nothing we'll look into getting one done.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Ugh part of me is so jealous of you guys. I wanted to start trying this fall, but we won't have insurance until January now so I have to wait. :( My first cycle won't be until February at earliest, and that's if I can get into a fertility endo asap for an appointment.

I know I already have a baby so I shouldn't be bitching, but waaaaaaah I wanted to start trying earlier. :( :(

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Alterian posted:

Got my tests back and all my stuff looks good. I think we've just been unlucky. Going based on how I personally feel my body is functioning, I think I didn't have a good until this past July after going off the pill in January. I feel relieved. The Dr. said we could do a semen analysis, but I'm not actually sure if our insurance would cover it. There's not reason for me to think that's an issue though. If we go 6 more months and there's nothing we'll look into getting one done.

I'm glad everything turned out well for you. Hopefully it'll happen for you soon!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Well, after thinking I might be pregnant (by accident) for nearly a month, my blood hcg levels say otherwise (<1). It turns out that my thyroid has decided to be an rear end in a top hat, and that's why my period is a month late and counting. I have to go get more blood drawn for my thyroid levels in a few weeks, and then hopefully I can get put on some medication to regulate things. I don't even have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism (in fact, have lost weight in the last couple months by exercising and eating better, so obviously my metabolism isn't suffering), so this came as a big shock to me.

I don't think my husband and I realized how badly we wanted to be pregnant until it was a possibility that I was (even if it wouldn't have been planned), but we've done a lot of soul-searching and talking the past few weeks and came to the conclusion that we're ready to start trying as soon as I get an okay from my doctor and my thyroid levels are normal. Now, if my drat period would just show up. The doctor was wanting to put me on Prometrium to induce my period, but the husband and I had been knockin' boots sans protection since I suspected I might be pregnant. Since my thyroid is being so very wacky, I'm doubtful that there's even a chance that I'm pregnant, but on the advice of the doctor, I'm going to wait another week and test again just to be absolutely sure, then take the medicine. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, anyone here have thyroid issues and have any advice?

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Prometrium is actually prescribed to some women to help support pregnancies (I've taken it in the past for that myself) so in theory it should help not hurt the baby if you are pregnant, however I'm not sure if the dosage would be different and while some might help a pregnancy, too much might not, so you might want to call your doctor and ask.

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
We're young, have sex everyday, yet another month, another period.

Whats worse is that somehow my period has gotten completely off schedule, more painful and dramatic.

I really didn't expect myself to get so stressed out over this.

/rant

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If you've been trying to get pregnant for a while now, and you have sex daily, you might want to cut back to every other day when you're ovulating. For some men, they don't produce enough viable sperm in a 24 hour period, so 48 hours gives you a better shot. If you're not sure when you're ovulating, there are lots of ways to figure it out. I used ovulation test strips, personally, but a lot of women test their cervical mucous daily and take basal temperatures daily to track when they're going to ovulate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

yumemiru posted:

We're young, have sex everyday, yet another month, another period.

Whats worse is that somehow my period has gotten completely off schedule, more painful and dramatic.

I really didn't expect myself to get so stressed out over this.

/rant

Get this book and read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254663131&sr=8-1

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
I've been charting for a while now (mucus/temperature), so I have a good handle on when I've ovulated, it's just my cycle length has been irregular. Last month was 24, this month 21 (!), before that it was 28 consistently for 4 months when I went off the pill.

We used to easily have sex 2-3 times a day, everyday and cut it down for baby making.

I have been "acting" pregnant, as in I haven't had caffeine in 3 months and I have hardly any sweets. I eat a really balanced diet (I use a tracking website), I make sure I get enough calories and have been on prenatals for 6 months.

I'm sure we have just been unlucky, from what I have read you don't have 100% chance of getting pregnant even if you do everything perfectly.

Eh, I guess everyone expects to get pregnant out of the gate. I just don't understand why my PMS is a million times worse. It really doesn't help things, body. :shobon:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

yumemiru posted:

I've been charting for a while now (mucus/temperature), so I have a good handle on when I've ovulated, it's just my cycle length has been irregular. Last month was 24, this month 21 (!), before that it was 28 consistently for 4 months when I went off the pill.

We used to easily have sex 2-3 times a day, everyday and cut it down for baby making.

I have been "acting" pregnant, as in I haven't had caffeine in 3 months and I have hardly any sweets. I eat a really balanced diet (I use a tracking website), I make sure I get enough calories and have been on prenatals for 6 months.

I'm sure we have just been unlucky, from what I have read you don't have 100% chance of getting pregnant even if you do everything perfectly.

Eh, I guess everyone expects to get pregnant out of the gate. I just don't understand why my PMS is a million times worse. It really doesn't help things, body. :shobon:

I'm sorry you're not getting pregnant as quickly as you want to, it totally sucks. :( You guys still may want to try cutting down on the sex during the few days before, the day of, and the few days after you ovulate-- basically, have sex when you know it's coming, when you ovulate, and a couple of days later. I don't know how common it is for men to not produce viable sperm in 24 hours, but I know I have heard it both in here and in other places before, so it can't be that uncommon. It might not be the answer, but it might help. v:shobon:v

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm sorry you're not getting pregnant as quickly as you want to, it totally sucks. :( You guys still may want to try cutting down on the sex during the few days before, the day of, and the few days after you ovulate-- basically, have sex when you know it's coming, when you ovulate, and a couple of days later. I don't know how common it is for men to not produce viable sperm in 24 hours, but I know I have heard it both in here and in other places before, so it can't be that uncommon. It might not be the answer, but it might help. v:shobon:v

we tried the ovulation strips and poo poo but never got good readings, so we just hosed every other day and that month, pregnant.

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
Yeah this month it's going to be every other day I think :)
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test line being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

I'm just doubting my ability to know if I'm going to be ovulating soon since I just had my D&C less than 2 weeks ago, but all signs seem to be pointing to this weekend. Bonus: we can have sex again starting on Thursday!

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 6, 2009

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test lne being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

I'm just doubting my ability to know if I'm going to be ovulating soon since I just had my D&C less than 2 weeks ago, but all signs seem to be pointing to this weekend. Bonus: we can have sex again starting on Thursday!

I use them. My positive line is never really as dark as the test one, but its pretty noticeable and my temp went up 2 days later. I have no idea what it means if its super light but there.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Opinions on this one? Sorry for the blurry iphone picture.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 6, 2009

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I used those ovulation strips as well, and when I was unsure, like with yours in the photo, I would do a second one later the same day so that I wouldn't miss a surge. It worked for me. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test line being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

It's possible that you're about to ovulate, but ovulation strips get positive results when you have HCG in your system. I would take a pregnancy test just to make sure that your HCG levels have dropped back down to below pregnancy levels. If they have, it means that you should be ovulating within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lannie posted:

It's possible that you're about to ovulate, but ovulation strips get positive results when you have HCG in your system. I would take a pregnancy test just to make sure that your HCG levels have dropped back down to below pregnancy levels. If they have, it means that you should be ovulating within the next 24 to 48 hours.

I just took a pregnancy test and it's totally negative. I know it's late in the day, so that may affect it, but I think we'll be getting it on just in case. I'm just SO ANXIOUS to get pregnant again. I feel like a crazy person.

The last couple days I've been especially emotional too. I was ok for a week, and now every time I see a baby or sit alone with my thoughts (which is a lot because my husband works from 3pm to 12am), I get weepy. I even had a dream last night that my cousin got pregnant before me (she's not seeing anyone at all to even get that way) and I was so irrationally mad in my dream.

I never wanted to be this way.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

I just took a pregnancy test and it's totally negative. I know it's late in the day, so that may affect it, but I think we'll be getting it on just in case. I'm just SO ANXIOUS to get pregnant again. I feel like a crazy person.

The last couple days I've been especially emotional too. I was ok for a week, and now every time I see a baby or sit alone with my thoughts (which is a lot because my husband works from 3pm to 12am), I get weepy. I even had a dream last night that my cousin got pregnant before me (she's not seeing anyone at all to even get that way) and I was so irrationally mad in my dream.

If it was stark negative, then that's really good. It shouldn't have triggered a positive result on an OPK unless you're actually ovulating or taking fertility meds.

Hugs. After my miscarriage (9 years ago) I had very similar feelings. It's never easy to lose a pregnancy/child. To be honest, up until I got pregnant again, I had a hard time with a few friends/family getting pregnant. Not that I wasn't happy for them, I was just sad for myself. It's ok to feel that way, even in dreams.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

I think being that anxious is part of the healing process. Try not to be too devastated if it doesn't happen the first month, it'll happen again!

I know when I had my miscarriage, I couldn't wait to get pregnant again just so I would loving KNOW that I would be able to have a good viable pregnancy. It was so early, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been thinking about you, good luck!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
So, shark week began a few days ago without the help of medication, thank Christ. My uterus is apparently not broken as I feared. I have a couple more weeks to wait to go to the doctor to get my thyroid levels checked out again. For those of you who have experience with thyroid issues and conception, how long did it take to get your levels straightened out before you could start trying?

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Ma_NiC posted:

So, shark week began a few days ago without the help of medication, thank Christ. My uterus is apparently not broken as I feared. I have a couple more weeks to wait to go to the doctor to get my thyroid levels checked out again. For those of you who have experience with thyroid issues and conception, how long did it take to get your levels straightened out before you could start trying?

She didn't have to deal with conception, but my mother had Grave's disease, and it took them about 6 months to get her hormone levels worked out just right, but they had to kill her thyroid. But she had a really severe case, and if this is your only symptom I'm sure yours won't be nearly that bad. I'd imagine a few months to figure out what levels will regulate you, and you'd be good to go. This is just my uninformed completely non-medical opinion, though. :)

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

So my wife and I are now trying to conceive after 6.5 years of being together. Her periods have always been wonky but now she's on day 43 of not getting her period (we've been trying for about two to three weeks now) and she purchased the book everyone recommended (which has been immensely helpful so thank you to all of you!). However, that book has made her think that in those 43 days, she hasn't ovulated once despite what ovulation calendars have made her think.

She's still testing negative for pregnancy, but from what I've read here, that could mean she's either not pregnant, or pregnant and one of those people that could not show positive until the 8th week. I suppose the ultimate answer is, "maybe".

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you up to this point for what has been an enormously helpful thread and congratulate those of you who have move on to the pregnancy thread.

I have a feeling It'll be a while before I can graduate to that thread.

I'm also trying to convince her to create an account here so that she can talk first hand about what's going on.

Women's bodies are strange.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If you guys have been reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and testing her cervical mucous, you should be able to detect when she's going to ovulate, but for an extra boost, consider getting ovulation test strips. I, too, have a completely whacked out cycle. I would go up to four or five months without getting my period. Besides everything else awesome about the book, TCOYF taught me that once you ovulate, you will menstruate within a couple of weeks, no matter how long the time was before ovulating, so you're probably right in thinking that she hasn't ovulated at all. But the ovulation test strips are what did the trick for me. We got pregnant the first time around when I started using them. :)

This is the pack I bought: http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/midstreamtes.html

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

Good luck!

• Locked thread