Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Harmful Park I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

al-azad posted:

Does anyone know the name of this quirky Japanese only PS1 SHMUP that takes place in an amusement park? I always called the game Hazard Park for some reason but a google search yields nothing.

Probably Harmful Park.

Edit: Durrr there is a link to read the next page.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saint Septimus posted:

Harmful Park I guess.

Harmful Park. Thanks.

Nick at Nite man
May 9, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any chance it was Cyberbykes?
I am playing this game right now and it is glorious, I cant believe it actually can run larger than 800x600, who had that in 1995? It is pretty awful but it makes it much more fun when you get to jump on mysterious roads in the air.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whelp, another game I once played but now forgot is running through my head and an hour of searching leaves me empty. It was a 2D side scroller on the Genesis (possibly SNES as well but I played it on Gen) where you played an anthropomorphic cat or something who was also a pirate/captain of a sailing vessel. In the first stage the bad guy steals your ship and you're chasing after it while dodging falling boulders and stuff. The 2nd stage takes place on the ship and there are hippo(???) badguys with guns.

I remember the game being balls hard because I could never beat the 2nd stage. My memory keeps trying to remember the title as being "Hook something" but Hook is a game based on that Robin Williams movie. The European title had a cooler sounding name than the US one. Recently playing Captain Claw made me think of the game as the two shared some similarities (Caribbean backdrop, anthro characters, main character was a cat captain thing...)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I remember there was this browser-based, online, sci-fi strategy game sort of in the same vein as Astro Empires and OGame, but it worked in like this weird sort of scale: you would start out as a junior corporation taking over a countryside against like three or so other players, and if you won that you'd move onto a continent-wide battle, and then a planet-wide battle. If you won, you'd get the planet and could start building cool poo poo like orbital foundries and combat units for the other stages of combat and stuff, and go on to claim other worlds. Oh, and the combat system worked in real time instead of turns (so instead of being like 2 turns to attack, it'd take your units half an hour realtime to move into another territory).

Does anybody remember what this was?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm looking for the name of a fighting game that was perhaps a PC exclusive from the early 90s. It had graphics on par with Mortal Kombat games and all the playable characters were distinctly human except for one which was sort of a lizard-man (or some other green monster). The game was fully 2D and rendered in a realistic style. The box art of the game had mostly dark grey and red or orange, there was possibly a big letter or symbol in it. For some reason, I think the name was something like "apocalypse" or something similar.

This has been bugging me for years. Too bad my memories are so vague. :saddowns:

Eternal Champions? (which, by the way, was way gorier than MK but didn't get half the press).

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

PC Game where you are a futuristic hovercraft that shoots down blocky enemies and builds a base to setup npc attackers on predetermined platforms. It was first person in the hovercraft and had that whole C&C Renegade feel to it. The Buildings you built I think fall in from the sky. I am also going to say Late 90s.

Ive read 20 pages of this thread hoping someone would think of asking about it.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Eternal Champions? (which, by the way, was way gorier than MK but didn't get half the press).

Looks almost like it but sadly it isn't that either. It was (maybe solely?) for the PC and it was really sucky in terms of gameplay. The lizard/monster guy had no equipment nor clothes, his head was shaped almost like Predator's and I think he had a light green skin with darker horizontal stripes on top of it. All the other fighters were really boring looking and mundane - just people with random sets of clothes.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Drinkfist posted:

PC Game where you are a futuristic hovercraft that shoots down blocky enemies and builds a base to setup npc attackers on predetermined platforms. It was first person in the hovercraft and had that whole C&C Renegade feel to it. The Buildings you built I think fall in from the sky. I am also going to say Late 90s.

Ive read 20 pages of this thread hoping someone would think of asking about it.

Sounds like Uprising. screenshot. good game

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
This ones an NES action/shooter game (I think) and really all I can remember is that you are (presumably) on another planet and you go into a bar where there a couple of strange aliens. You somehow end up fighting one of them in a room where it's 1-on-1 but before you do, a crappy digitized voice says "COME ON! LETS FIGHT!" I want to say that outside the bar it's top down and you are in a vehicle of some kind and when you fight the alien 1-on-1 the game switches perspective.

edit: nevermind I remember now, it was Ikari Warriors 2

Gumball Dad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 28, 2009

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

I'm looking for the name of a fighting game that was perhaps a PC exclusive from the early 90s. It had graphics on par with Mortal Kombat games and all the playable characters were distinctly human except for one which was sort of a lizard-man (or some other green monster). The game was fully 2D and rendered in a realistic style. The box art of the game had mostly dark grey and red or orange, there was possibly a big letter or symbol in it. For some reason, I think the name was something like "apocalypse" or something similar.

This has been bugging me for years. Too bad my memories are so vague. :saddowns:

Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport?

small change posted:

This is probably the worst of these posts that I've ever made but here goes anyway. Its a game for the genesis that was partly space exploration and then had a sidescrolling element when on space stations and stuff (I think, I'm not totally sure on this part).

I remember the ship you controlled looking vaguely like the Enterprise and that in the side scrolling sections you were wearing a fairly conventional NASA style space suit. The space section involved flying around and then communicating or fighting with the various aliens you met.

I know this one was already called, but I just want to say that Starflight for the Genesis is an excellent game, probably my favorite of the genre. Might be nostalgia though.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Ok, let's see. It was a point and click game, I am sure of it. At the begining you're a little boy, I remember you could go in a pool and dive to go into a different aquatic world. It was a old game, probably made in the early 90's. It was for PC.

Ecoquest?

moller fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 28, 2009

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

al-azad posted:

Whelp, another game I once played but now forgot is running through my head and an hour of searching leaves me empty. It was a 2D side scroller on the Genesis (possibly SNES as well but I played it on Gen) where you played an anthropomorphic cat or something who was also a pirate/captain of a sailing vessel. In the first stage the bad guy steals your ship and you're chasing after it while dodging falling boulders and stuff. The 2nd stage takes place on the ship and there are hippo(???) badguys with guns.

I remember the game being balls hard because I could never beat the 2nd stage. My memory keeps trying to remember the title as being "Hook something" but Hook is a game based on that Robin Williams movie. The European title had a cooler sounding name than the US one. Recently playing Captain Claw made me think of the game as the two shared some similarities (Caribbean backdrop, anthro characters, main character was a cat captain thing...)

Sounds like High Seas Havoc to me!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

moller posted:

Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport?

Nope, not this one either.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Nope, not this one either.

Way of the Warrior for the 3DO? This is closest to what you've been describing, but can find a pic of the lizard guy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

secretplot posted:

Sounds like High Seas Havoc to me!

High Seas Havoc it is! I always remembered the game by the European title Capt'n Havoc so the "High Seas" part threw me off in my search.

Irascalopolator
Jun 17, 2003

I ran with PC, early 90s, and name like Apocalypse and came up with Antagony. The page has the best screenshot I can find and I can't get it to run in DOSBox so good luck! There's almost no information about it anywhere, I guess it was a shareware game made by three guys that never went anywhere.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Irascalopolator posted:

I ran with PC, early 90s, and name like Apocalypse and came up with Antagony. The page has the best screenshot I can find and I can't get it to run in DOSBox so good luck! There's almost no information about it anywhere, I guess it was a shareware game made by three guys that never went anywhere.

Can't have been this either since it came with a separate box with boxart and all that stuff.

Wasn't Way of the Warrior either.

But as I said, it may be that my memory's betrading me and I won't recognize the game even if I happen to see it. :downs:

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

walkingghostphase posted:

it was this weird little game that looked kinda like bomberman. you could hold down a button and sort of "leave" a bullet that would be spinning a bit before going in the direction you input. you could also leave an "egg" that would create a little tank or something? but i'm not sure if it was actually an egg or if we just called them eggs. it was adversarial and a ton of fun.
Pretty sure this is Bugbomber. It was also on the C64 and possibly other home computers of the time.

sfwarlock posted:

The other was on the Amiga about 1987. I think I played a demo of it on either a cover-disk or a Fred Fish disk. You were running around some sort of surreal landscape, seeing a small part of it on each screen, and it looked a little bit like a smaller (4x4?) chess board with different heights and sometimes items on some of the squares, and you were a wizard who could shoot lightning. Googling "Amiga wizard lightning", obviously, has been less than helpful.
Kind of a long shot, but Cadaver, by any chance?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

sfwarlock posted:

The other was on the Amiga about 1987. I think I played a demo of it on either a cover-disk or a Fred Fish disk. You were running around some sort of surreal landscape, seeing a small part of it on each screen, and it looked a little bit like a smaller (4x4?) chess board with different heights and sometimes items on some of the squares, and you were a wizard who could shoot lightning. Googling "Amiga wizard lightning", obviously, has been less than helpful.

Another long shot but was it Mystic Towers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Towers

On second thought that was only released on PC but worth a shot.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, there's this goofy 2d platformer, I suspect it's german, where you play a single dude with a hut. You can drag various materials to the hut to make money, and with that money you can buy materials you can't find or tools. You can then use the materials and tools to build other buildings that do other things, minecarts to haul more materials in one trip, explosives to penetrate hard rock, and additional workers you can automate to do simple tasks... somehow... until you have a burgeoning two dimensional platformer town. Or, more realistically, you'll drop an explosive rock in the wrong place and destroy everything you've worked on. If you don't have a bomb to blow up your all-important resource hut with, don't worry, occasionally meteors fall from the sky just to gently caress with you.

I got a sort of Lemmings Meets Colonization vibe from it.

What the hell was it?

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, there's this goofy 2d platformer, I suspect it's german, where you play a single dude with a hut. You can drag various materials to the hut to make money, and with that money you can buy materials you can't find or tools. You can then use the materials and tools to build other buildings that do other things, minecarts to haul more materials in one trip, explosives to penetrate hard rock, and additional workers you can automate to do simple tasks... somehow... until you have a burgeoning two dimensional platformer town. Or, more realistically, you'll drop an explosive rock in the wrong place and destroy everything you've worked on. If you don't have a bomb to blow up your all-important resource hut with, don't worry, occasionally meteors fall from the sky just to gently caress with you.

I got a sort of Lemmings Meets Colonization vibe from it.

What the hell was it?

Clonk Rage?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

wb posted:

Clonk Rage?

Yes indeedy! I look forward to failing to accomplish anything at that once again!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Unone posted:

It wasnt Metal Mutant by any chance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Mutant

:aaaaa: That's exactly it! Thank you, you've solved one of my great mysteries :>

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I'm trying to remember the name of some PSX game. It's an RPG - adventure - action - platformer sort of game where you can play as one of two characters:

-a guy who wears green (I think) and can shapeshift and fights with an axe
-a girl who wears blue (I think) and gets magic and has rings around her arms.

I remember it also had something to do with "relics".

I know it's really vague but I hope someone can help me out here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of some PSX game. It's an RPG - adventure - action - platformer sort of game where you can play as one of two characters:

-a guy who wears green (I think) and can shapeshift and fights with an axe
-a girl who wears blue (I think) and gets magic and has rings around her arms.

I remember it also had something to do with "relics".

I know it's really vague but I hope someone can help me out here.

This is definitely Threads of Fate.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Rollersnake posted:

This is definitely Threads of Fate.

YES it is awesome thanks.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I'm wondering if anyone knows the name of a point and click advenure game I saw a long time ago, hopefully this isn't too obscure.

I remember playing this PC/Mac game when I was a little kid, some time in the mid-90s. I saw this at a friend's house (actually a friend of my parents who I didn't know very well) and only got to play it for a few minutes.
The game had a visual and gameplay style similar to Monkey Island with characters talking with colored text popups. At one point, I was in a completely dark dungeon and had to find a torch or something to light the area up. Then they loaded a saved game from a different spot or something and there was an area where I was controlling a bee/fly walking on top of some guy's face. If I clicked on his nose the bee would pull it and make the guy's eyes water. Weird.

I've always been curious what that game was, just because I've only seen that one tiny part and never saw or heard of it again. I seem to remember the other kids calling it something like "Monster World" (?) but Google doesn't seem to be helping me find it.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Nevermind, I think I just found it, it was probably Goblins Quest 3. I totally remembered the name wrong.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Dammit...so I can't remember the name of this indy game. I found out about it here on SA.

It was that creepy side-scrolling game where you played as the little star-shaped guy. The levels got creepier and creepier as you played, and the between-level messages kept getting weirder and more corrupted.

I distinctly remember the "red hands" that jumped up to kill you, and "Behind You!" at one of the loading screens.

Thanks!

fake edit: (Googling combinations of "indy", "red hand", "behind you!", and the likes isn't helping)

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Dammit...so I can't remember the name of this indy game. I found out about it here on SA.

It was that creepy side-scrolling game where you played as the little star-shaped guy. The levels got creepier and creepier as you played, and the between-level messages kept getting weirder and more corrupted.

I distinctly remember the "red hands" that jumped up to kill you, and "Behind You!" at one of the loading screens.

Thanks!

fake edit: (Googling combinations of "indy", "red hand", "behind you!", and the likes isn't helping)

I think this is Eversion.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Panic Restaurant posted:

I think this is Eversion.

Yessss, it totally is! Thanks very much.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

It is one of those odd, Japanese Nintendo DS games that is more recent I believe. The interesting game mechanic is the monsters change and upgrade which can make the game a lot more difficult. I saw a thread on it here at least a year ago.
I guess it was PSP, not DS. The thread got bumped and I just found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2866703

Ricky Caldwell
Sep 29, 2008
I might have already asked this in an earlier incarnation but I don't remember getting an answer.

On the NES there was a skating/surfing game I had. It was hard as gently caress.

I know that the main character of at least the surfing level had a giant tiki mask on. I'm pretty sure it was the same for the skating level.

I hated it because whenever you'd lose on the skating level the guy would slide across the pavement in the most horrific of fashions, and since I failed all the time, the image is permanently seared into my brain.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Ricky Caldwell posted:

I might have already asked this in an earlier incarnation but I don't remember getting an answer.

On the NES there was a skating/surfing game I had. It was hard as gently caress.

I know that the main character of at least the surfing level had a giant tiki mask on. I'm pretty sure it was the same for the skating level.

I hated it because whenever you'd lose on the skating level the guy would slide across the pavement in the most horrific of fashions, and since I failed all the time, the image is permanently seared into my brain.

T&C Surf Design

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I remember an old game for the Mac, where you explore ancient Greece. The graphics weren't great at all but I do remember that the people in the game were real actors, like in the Tex Murphy games. Anyone have any ideas?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

adamarama posted:

I remember an old game for the Mac, where you explore ancient Greece. The graphics weren't great at all but I do remember that the people in the game were real actors, like in the Tex Murphy games. Anyone have any ideas?
Journey project 3?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
There's an old arcade shoot-em-up that was both a top down vertical scroller where you shot air units and dropped bombs on ground units (similar to Xevious) and also an undergound side scroller (similar to R-Type) in the same game.

You went between modes by flying through holes in the ground surface, which I think you had to drop bombs in certain places of the top down levels to create. It was probably made some time around 1987, and it's possible that I can't recall the name because it was written in Japanese. Any ideas?

edit: vvv Legendary Wings is not the one I'm looking for, but thanks.

monkey fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 10, 2009

pud
Jul 9, 2001

monkey posted:

There's an old arcade shoot-em-up that was both a top down vertical scroller where you shot air units and dropped bombs on ground units (similar to Xevious) and also an undergound side scroller (similar to R-Type) in the same game.

You went between modes by flying through holes in the ground surface, which I think you had to drop bombs in certain places of the top down levels to create. It was probably made some time around 1987, and it's possible that I can't recall the name because it was written in Japanese. Any ideas?

Probably wrong here, but Legendary Wings alternated between overhead and sidescrolling and came out around then, but you didn't bomb areas to switch between views, giant mouths in the overhead areas would suck you into the side-scrolling ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Rudger posted:

T&C Surf Design

Why did everyone have a copy of that terrible, terrible game?

• Locked thread