Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I've got the same ones. I've recommended them in this thread or another as well. They are a pretty good, and cheap, alternative to the $80 version ( I can't figure out the drat name and google is failing me, eytomic or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jdonz posted:

I've got the same ones. I've recommended them in this thread or another as well. They are a pretty good, and cheap, alternative to the $80 version ( I can't figure out the drat name and google is failing me, eytomic or something).

Etymotic :eng101:

I had a set of Sennheiser CX300s for a while and they were pretty good for in-ear 'phones. From what I hear, Shure make the best inexpensive in-ear models, though.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

KozmoNaut posted:

I had a set of Sennheiser CX300s for a while and they were pretty good for in-ear 'phones. From what I hear, Shure make the best inexpensive in-ear models, though.

Creative EP630 and the Sharp HP-MD33-S are essentially completely identical to the CX300's, and may be easier to obtain depending on where on this planet you live. I got the Sharp's from Japan back in 2004, and have been my favorite cheap headphones (despite the 2 piece cord) for a looong time. I recently got a pair of the Creative's from a friend who didn't like them, so now I have a pair dedicated to riding! They're all very similar to the $70ish sony earbuds, but don't stick as far out of your ear (and sound better imho).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just use skullcandy's. They work pretty well and block out a lot of sound.

Track day was kind of a bust. I wasn't allowed on the track at all, so all I could tape was turn 8 and the straight. One of the instructors, Fuzzy, was cool with putting my contourHD on his bike and going out, and that turned out pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j97HTxVYq0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Track day was kind of a bust. I wasn't allowed on the track at all, so all I could tape was turn 8 and the straight. One of the instructors, Fuzzy, was cool with putting my contourHD on his bike and going out, and that turned out pretty good.

Goddamn, that front straight looks terrifying, with the wall right there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

drat the sensation of speed and wailing from the top end made my eyes water. The sound was surprisingly good, is the mic port on the back or something? Actual usable audio makes this look like an interesting purchase.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

dietcokefiend posted:

Finally picked up some cheapo inner ear headphones to use while riding.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8964864&type=product&id=1218008398563

They are small enough to not rip out of my ears when I slide the helmet on, and seem to block out enough road noise that I can keep the music at a reasonable level to not try and overpower everything else.

I find that just about anything with the squishy-cone-shape design works super-well under the helmet too. I got some cheap Skull Candy ones from Target for like $10, they do good double-duty as earplugs and for tunes.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Goddamn, that front straight looks terrifying, with the wall right there.

I was thinking that same thing, a lot of those corners seem to have very un-friendly-looking walls on the outside edge.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

A guy I was just talking to about biker brotherhood had a great story that I have to pass along.

He was in New York on the Brooklyn Bridge in heavy traffic on his bike, bemoaning how much it sucks to be stuck there. He hears a bike coming up from behind lane splitting up at speed. This guy zooms by squeezing through traffic, and as he passes, the guy beeps twice, sticks out a hand and waves, all while screaming along between the cars.

As if that wasn't enough of a story - this guy I was talking to then hears another bike coming up behind also lane splitting, but this time he also hears a siren. A cop bike goes tearing up between cars chasing the first biker!

:patriot:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

drat the sensation of speed and wailing from the top end made my eyes water. The sound was surprisingly good, is the mic port on the back or something? Actual usable audio makes this look like an interesting purchase.

The mic is on the bottom of the camera and covered by a sticker that came with it, so I think that negates quite a bit of wind noise.

Edit: I think it's just the corners by the straight with no runoff room. The drag strip right next to it also shares part of the straightaway, which is why it's curved like that with those walls.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 29, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

A guy I was just talking to about biker brotherhood had a great story that I have to pass along.

He was in New York on the Brooklyn Bridge in heavy traffic on his bike, bemoaning how much it sucks to be stuck there. He hears a bike coming up from behind lane splitting up at speed. This guy zooms by squeezing through traffic, and as he passes, the guy beeps twice, sticks out a hand and waves, all while screaming along between the cars.

As if that wasn't enough of a story - this guy I was talking to then hears another bike coming up behind also lane splitting, but this time he also hears a siren. A cop bike goes tearing up between cars chasing the first biker!

:patriot:

I don't think I'd be able to handle daily riding outside of California. I don't take too well to it when in a car and being on a bike and yet being stuck anyway due to lane splitting being illegal would make me completely lose my poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

having gone from a place where it's illegal and frowned upon to a place where it's legal and expected, I don't think I could go back. I was on a bike in Ontario this summer and got stuck in a big backup on the highway. Not even crawling, but a nice wide open swath between lanes for as far as I could see. It was so tempting to just do it, but since I was on a borrowed bike and on my way to my M2-exit test I just stewed instead.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

I was thinking that same thing, a lot of those corners seem to have very un-friendly-looking walls on the outside edge.

Welcome to Pacific Raceways, the best in western washington :(

Your run off area might just be a evergreen tree!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

I don't think I'd be able to handle daily riding outside of California. I don't take too well to it when in a car and being on a bike and yet being stuck anyway due to lane splitting being illegal would make me completely lose my poo poo.

At this point, I've given up on abiding by most traffic laws, especially the ones about lane splitting. That said, I try to be cautious when doing it around Chicago and the suburbs (I'm a bit more blatant in the city), keeping a sharp eye out for cops and only doing it when I'll save a LOT of time, not splitting if it's just a matter of 5-6 cars between me and the light.

I'm sort of curious as to what the penalties for lane splitting are in Illinois, come to think of it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the way, are there any more sumo races this year? Pacific's closer than Seattle, so I have no problem making trips there.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

By the way, are there any more sumo races this year? Pacific's closer than Seattle, so I have no problem making trips there.

The main series, Supermoto USA NW, is over, but PGP is doing their own winter series, 1st race is November 1st, I'm planning on running it!

Spiffness and I were just there on Sunday,If you want I can let you know when I'm going down next. I'm going to try to make it again this weekend.

You can get real close to the track, and you can see the whole thing from anywhere you set up. You can strap a camera to the Husky, but I will almost certainly crash with it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You guys ride every Sunday? Awesome, I'll try to make it out this weekend.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

You guys ride every Sunday? Awesome, I'll try to make it out this weekend.

That's pretty much my goal, although I just checked the forecast and... maybe not this weekend.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, back to lovely Washington weather. It was a nice 4 months anyways.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Linedance posted:

having gone from a place where it's illegal and frowned upon to a place where it's legal and expected, I don't think I could go back.

Seriously. As a Cali biker, I just don't understand why the riders in the other 49 states haven't had a straight-up revolt. I would completely lose my poo poo in LA if I had to crawl along in traffic with all the cages while my temp gauge rose and my pants legs threatened to light on fire.

Most of the other nations in the civilized world have realized that it's insane to just pretend that bikes are exactly the same as cars.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I can't think of a time in the 3,000 miles I've ridden in Indiana that I would have needed to lane split. Sure, I've done it twice, but it never saved me more than 5 minutes.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Nate Falls posted:

Seriously. As a Cali biker, I just don't understand why the riders in the other 49 states haven't had a straight-up revolt. I would completely lose my poo poo in LA if I had to crawl along in traffic with all the cages while my temp gauge rose and my pants legs threatened to light on fire.

Most of the other nations in the civilized world have realized that it's insane to just pretend that bikes are exactly the same as cars.

Especially when lanes are wide enough that two riders side by side could be rolling through the "middle lane" in traffic. Ugh

I wanted to kill myself driving from Indy to Chicago during construction cause traffic was backed up for miles, yet there was enough room for a comfortable bike lane spanning the entire distance. :smithicide:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Nate Falls posted:

Out here, little to no traffic is the norm.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nate Falls posted:

Seriously. As a Cali biker, I just don't understand why the riders in the other 49 states haven't had a straight-up revolt.

The motorcycle organizations seem content fighting helmet laws instead of doing something useful for all bikers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

Just saw that...that's pretty kickass. Using the rear cylinder as a supercharger for the front cylinder, and getting a boost in power. I wonder how well it'd work on a 4.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

Just saw that...that's pretty kickass. Using the rear cylinder as a supercharger for the front cylinder, and getting a boost in power. I wonder how well it'd work on a 4.

Ahh yes I see it now, next year someone else partners with Ingersoll-Rand for some two-stage engine design.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of thekneelider.com, looks like Honda's new CB is finally yet again confirmed for production.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

I love that the french word for gasoline is "essence." They don't have the strongest gearhead tradition in the world, but every once in a while they do things really right.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Essense sans plombe
Pour homme et femme
KARL LAGERFELD

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well it was our local Buell sportbike night again last night so I went down to ride motorcycles that I don't own :)

Last time I rode an XB12 and an 1125CR. This time I rode a 1125R, which I liked a little better than the CR. I liked the longer gearing. The "ride route" was gay this time and was about 4 miles so I didn't get to ride it a whole lot more than that.

Then I rode a '09 or '10 Yamaha R1, 5 miles on the odometer. This I liked a lot. I LOVE the sound of the I4 and it was so smooth (I ride a thumper). Riding position was uncomfortable (not used to it), where as the 1125 was a bit more relaxed. The power though, good god the power. Thankfully the bike was pretty easy to ride and I think I've had enough riding experience to have a fairly well-behaved wrist because wow, there sure is a lot of power. Again the riding route was pretty short, though I made it longer that time, so I couldn't really comment on the bike other than getting on it once when I was up on the highway.

The I4 sound is intoxicating and so smooth. I must own one. Someday I'll own an orange Z1000.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just posting this here for posterity.

Mmm, essence.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Then I rode a '09 or '10 Yamaha R1, 5 miles on the odometer. This I liked a lot. I LOVE the sound of the I4 and it was so smooth (I ride a thumper). Riding position was uncomfortable (not used to it), where as the 1125 was a bit more relaxed. The power though, good god the power. Thankfully the bike was pretty easy to ride and I think I've had enough riding experience to have a fairly well-behaved wrist because wow, there sure is a lot of power. Again the riding route was pretty short, though I made it longer that time, so I couldn't really comment on the bike other than getting on it once when I was up on the highway.

The I4 sound is intoxicating and so smooth. I must own one. Someday I'll own an orange Z1000.

Yamaha actually changed their engine up for the '09 R1, something called a biglong bang arrangement. It sounds different then other I4's because of it from what I've read.

In other news, VholdR announced the CountourHD1080p!

http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/features

It features 5 different record modes. 1080p@30fps, Tall HD(960p@30fps), action HD(720p@60fps), regular 720p@30fps, then SD@60fps. A pretty big step up from 720p @ 30fps and SD @ 60fps. It retails at $330 and will be available in October. You'll also be able to control contrast, exposure, metering and mic gain through computer controls. Not that handy once you're already on the track/in the pow/wherever, but useful.

They'll also have a lens kit in November that replaces the old lens and lets you put on 37mm filters. This might not all mean much to most people here, but I'm a video geek and find this is all pretty cool.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 3, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
:smithicide:

Drove back to WI last night and dealt with some awesome weather. 40-50F, pouring rain, and no sun. Found out my Olympia gear works great in the areas away from sleeves and the waist, but still reaches a point where 70+ MPH wet wind wicks away heat like nothing else. Wet leather gloves didnt help either. Surprised I didnt get hypothermia or something. Lips blue and all.

The other fun aspect that I found out when it was pitch black was the lack of front headlight. Somewhere in the middle of Indiana I thought a huge bug or something hit my foot, turns out it was a bolt and gromet that holds up one side of my headlamp. Without it the beam of light was no where near where I needed it. Fun times....

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The quest for the Next Bike goes on, now seriously consider a bike which has been recommended to me earlier.

Triumph Sprint ST. Will have to settle for Gen 1 due to $$$. Apart from the slightly bland looks, it's ticking a lot of my boxes.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 3, 2009

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

^^^I'd love to have one of those, or a Duc ST 4 one of these days.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For a 2 year old newer Duc ST4 I'd pay 30% more and although I'm really keen on the Duc, the maintenance and reliability vs the Triumph has raised an eyebrow. And not the old "har har Italian bikes" rumor, but actual scientific internet anecdotes from forums.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

The quest for the Next Bike goes on, now seriously consider a bike which has been recommended to me earlier.

Triumph Sprint ST. Will have to settle for Gen 1 due to $$$. Apart from the slightly bland looks, it's ticking a lot of my boxes.

any reason not to consider a similar vintage vfr 800? Or are they too pricey in Norway?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Fwiw, I liked the early triumphs way more than the later ones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

any reason not to consider a similar vintage vfr 800? Or are they too pricey in Norway?

They are slightly more pricey than the Triumphs. But to be honest, the reason is an irrational disillusionment of japanese inline 4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

They are slightly more pricey than the Triumphs. But to be honest, the reason is an irrational disillusionment of japanese inline 4s.

VFRs are V4s. :)

I prefer the pre vtec ones. Way easier to work on/cheaper to maintain.