Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So my buddy and I are starting up some stuff again, and I'm kinda worried about how I'm gonna do in a 3-piece (guitar, bass, drums) setting. My question is how do you guys get the kinks out after sitting for a while and not playing regularly? Are there certain exercises that you run through? Are some better than others? I'm just going through my bass fitness book, and while it's a start, it isn't really for ear training at all :(

edit: AND ANOTHER THING! Any special tricks to making sure the sound is beefy as hell with only 3 people? Should I gently caress around with EQs, etc?

scuz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

So my buddy and I are starting up some stuff again, and I'm kinda worried about how I'm gonna do in a 3-piece (guitar, bass, drums) setting. My question is how do you guys get the kinks out after sitting for a while and not playing regularly? Are there certain exercises that you run through? Are some better than others? I'm just going through my bass fitness book, and while it's a start, it isn't really for ear training at all :(

edit: AND ANOTHER THING! Any special tricks to making sure the sound is beefy as hell with only 3 people? Should I gently caress around with EQs, etc?

What kind of stuff are you gonna be playing? I'd say def. boost a little bit of everything, but def. the mids, especially the low to middle mids.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than just trying to tastefully fill space. Let your notes sustain a bit longer. Think of it as an opportunity... you have a lot more space to play around and try some more melodic basslines.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I took a long break, and I got back into speed by learning covers of bands I liked. Also, having another musician of a similar level kick your rear end to keep you motivated works too (in this case, your guitarist).

With a 3-piece, you can have an angrier sound (assuming its appropriate). I like messing with distortion and fuzzboxes and stuff to get unique sounds that fill up the low end without killing the guitars.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Other than that, there isn't much you can do other than just trying to tastefully fill space. Let your notes sustain a bit longer. Think of it as an opportunity... you have a lot more space to play around and try some more melodic basslines.
Honestly, it is tricky in rock. You have that open space, and freedom to be heard, but it comes with a double-edge sword. Without the second guitarist, your notes will stand out much more, especially during those guitar solos. Be clean. Be on time. That means, boring stuff with a metronome, which will help!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Honestly, it is tricky in rock. You have that open space, and freedom to be heard, but it comes with a double-edge sword. Without the second guitarist, your notes will stand out much more, especially during those guitar solos. Be clean. Be on time. That means, boring stuff with a metronome, which will help!

Well you should ALWAYS be on time... But it doesn't HAVE to be boring, and early Gov't Mule is a perfect example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSeugS_qAYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5Rop_9QJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3OwLV4s6PY

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Shitload of distortion.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

Shitload of distortion overdrive.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help, dudes! I really feel like I owe it to the guitarist to not be any kind of speed bump; he's paid his fuckin dues and deserves a band that isn't weighing him down :allears:

Anyways, it's gonna be punk rock, so an angrier sound is completely appropriate. I think I have the tools to make "angry bass" happen (j-bass, Ampeg, 2x12 cab, lots of PICKS!). I do have a Wasabi distortion pedal, but I think the battery ran out on it or something. I've been listening to Mclusky and some early Green Day to see how a 3-piece bassist does it, and for those that haven't heard Mclusky, they are a GREAT example of how a bassist in a band fucks around with empty space, and Mike Dirnt is what makes Green Day a really stand-out band (at least I think so). The guitarist and I like to gently caress around with timings and crazy harmonies so it'll sure be fun :).

I'm super goddamned excited to start this and will post back when I've got more poo poo figured out :3: I'll also be back tomorrow night after practice and I figure out what I need to work on :ohdear:

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I've been playing bass for a year at this point and with the knowledge that I'm going to continue, I'm just about ready to put down some bux on a better amp. I've been using http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622 and while it definitely served its purpose and was a good deal, it's limiting my sound despite pedals/new strings. I'm just looking for something with more options and perhaps a bigger kick, as I'm often playing with friends. I'm aiming for something around $400 but 500 isn't off limits. Suggestions?

EDIT - scuz, listen to nomeansno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLFpJuZ8zI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mj9FhrlEh0&feature=related

SexyGoofTroopGrl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 1, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

I've been playing bass for a year at this point and with the knowledge that I'm going to continue, I'm just about ready to put down some bux on a better amp. I've been using http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622 and while it definitely served its purpose and was a good deal, it's limiting my sound despite pedals/new strings. I'm just looking for something with more options and perhaps a bigger kick, as I'm often playing with friends. I'm aiming for something around $400 but 500 isn't off limits. Suggestions?

EDIT - scuz, listen to nomeansno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLFpJuZ8zI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mj9FhrlEh0&feature=related
That's a mean ol' sound there! Pretty awesome band, too, thanks for showing them to me :) That's a 3-piece?! Goddamn, they're loud.

Are you going for a combo, or just anything you can find in the $400-$500 range?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Definitely going for the combo

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

Definitely going for the combo
I dunno much about combo amps, but a quick skimming of the TalkBass classifieds didn't turn up much, and musiciansfriend.com didn't have anything in that price range much better than what you have now. Are you just concerned about portability?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

scuz posted:

I dunno much about combo amps, but a quick skimming of the TalkBass classifieds didn't turn up much, and musiciansfriend.com didn't have anything in that price range much better than what you have now. Are you just concerned about portability?

Yeah, I travel between home and school a decent amount and would love some mobility. It's not too big of an issue though, as I could just leave my current combo in one spot and whatever I bought at the other. Outside of combos, what fits the price range and is recommendable?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

STINKFACE posted:

Yeah, I travel between home and school a decent amount and would love some mobility. It's not too big of an issue though, as I could just leave my current combo in one spot and whatever I bought at the other. Outside of combos, what fits the price range and is recommendable?

If you're playing with other people (especially if a drummer is involved) but not looking to get on stage yet, then I'd say you can probably get away with something around 100 watts, maybe 200 if you think you might want to jam in front of a crowd.

If you've been overall happy with the Acoustic amp, look at the B200.

I have no real experience with any combos, so I'd highly suggest heading over to Talkbass dot com and searching around in their Amps forum. And at that price point, I think a combo is going to be your best bet. In my opinion you'd need about double your budget to break into the head+cabinet category and get something that wouldn't just be a waste of cash.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yay, scarf is here to rescue you from my questionable advice :glomp:

STINKFACE posted:

I was able to put together a giggable half-stack with a cheap cabinet and really awesome amp for around $500. Some dude was selling a GK 800RB for $250 on craigslist because something was wrong with it (turned out to be a fuse and he was just too lazy to fix it), and I found a 2x12 Avatar cabinet on TalkBass for $250 plus shipping.

So I guess the advice is the same for a budget that limited: buy used! Crawl around on your local craigslist, musicgoround.com, and the talkbass.com classifieds section. Good used amp brands to look for are Gallien-Krueger (you can find an 800RB pretty much anywhere) and Ampeg (although they're more expensive due to being an AMPEG). For cabinets, look for the Avatar brand on TalkBass.com's classified section. I think there are like 4 or 5 up right now. Otherwise every local guitar shop around me usually has a DIY 1x15 sitting around for like $150, so that would be a decent stop-gap until you can afford something bigger.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Thanks a lot for the advice guys

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I've been looking at used Sunn 1200S amps, they're about 500 in the states yet completely unavailable in Europe. loving annoying, I've only found them on Ebay and none of the sellers ship to Europe. poo poo sucks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Yay, scarf is here to rescue you from my questionable advice :glomp:
I was able to put together a giggable half-stack with a cheap cabinet and really awesome amp for around $500. Some dude was selling a GK 800RB for $250 on craigslist because something was wrong with it (turned out to be a fuse and he was just too lazy to fix it), and I found a 2x12 Avatar cabinet on TalkBass for $250 plus shipping.

So I guess the advice is the same for a budget that limited: buy used! Crawl around on your local craigslist, musicgoround.com, and the talkbass.com classifieds section. Good used amp brands to look for are Gallien-Krueger (you can find an 800RB pretty much anywhere) and Ampeg (although they're more expensive due to being an AMPEG). For cabinets, look for the Avatar brand on TalkBass.com's classified section. I think there are like 4 or 5 up right now. Otherwise every local guitar shop around me usually has a DIY 1x15 sitting around for like $150, so that would be a decent stop-gap until you can afford something bigger.

Yeah, you can always go the used route. Just make sure you do a lot of research on particular models, how much they seem to go for used, what to look for in terms of a dud or faulty equipment, etc.

I actually got my current rig (head and 2 cabs) for $700 used, so all hope is not lost to find good used gear.

(behind the basses, obviously...)

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Save your cash. For a few hundred more, you start getting into more giggable amplifiers from the more reputable brands. Also, craigslist is the home of infinite deals and steals.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I've been thinking about learning to play bass for a while now, and after reading through all of this thread:

It makes cool noises :3:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

e: this was an intensely stupid question

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2009

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I saw Mono in concert last Thursday, and something's been bugging me ever since. Their bassist has been my #1 inspiration to even take up bass playing, and I'd always assumed her sound in their louder song parts was from an overdrive pedal.

I figured I'd have a look at her pedal board on stage after the show, but some 6'8" roadie gave me this "back the gently caress off, girl" look before I could snap more than one blurry picture. I tried filtering it a bit to cancel the motion blur, but it's still pretty impossible to read anything:

My reckoning is, from right to left: Boss line selector, Boss chromatic tuner, SansAmp bass driver and what I think is a Boss bass synthesizer.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about effect pedals, but I don't see how any of these could do result in the sound in this video (at around 5:15).

What do you effects whizzes think? Maybe a combo of settings on the bass driver and on the synth? Maybe I'm completely wrong and that's not a bass snyth at all? I can also upload a better excerpt on tindeck if it's too hard to tell from YouTube.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well it's definitely not a line selector as there's only one line coming out of it, but I would think octaver.

Edit: nevermind I am dum :saddowns:

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2009

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Hrm, are you talking about the right-most one? The only thing of Boss that I can find that looks remotely close is the line selector, down to the red and green spots on top. Perhaps it was just set to bypass at the time.

Hell, I'd say the left one is the only one I'm not sure of -- I distinctly remember recognizing the chromatic tuner, the SansAmp is about the only text that's legible and comparing the line selector to the right one really looks like it's the one.

All bets are off on the left one, however -- come to think of it, it could also very well be a digital delay. Grayish, four knobs on top and a red LED. That'd also make more sense.

Edit: Digital reverb, probably!

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 3, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The red and green knobs are a dead giveaway. It's the Boss LS-2 line selector.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

That driver could do that sound I think, I've heard they have a lot of gain on tap and the eq knobs make it pretty flexible.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, the Sansamp could do that absolutely. But check out the VT Bass as well, much warmer, tube-ish sounding overdrive.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Sansamp is definitely giving the overdrive sound. The leftmost pedal is a Boss Digital Reverb, either an RV-3 or an RV-5. I would have said reverb just because its Mono, reverb is practically their only effect.

I'm not sure what the Line Selector is doing in there. I would have said it could be functioning as a mute or a power supply, but the TU-2 can do that stuff also. Maybe it was plugged into something else before you got the picture.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the rightmost knob on the Sansamp is the drive knob and he's got it cranked. I bet he's using the line selector as a power supply and a signal booster/mute--they offer up to +20db in gain, I believe. Or he could just be using it to balance the output of two basses--bypass for one, and a slightly boosted or cut signal for the another

My Sansamp is much more suitable for distortion with a really hot signal.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Back with a real question. Could someone tell me a little about string gauges? Far as I can tell the strings have never been changed on my bass, and I have some trouble plucking them. Is there designation for 'light, extra light', etc. for bass strings? I've pretty weak fingers, I play extra lights (.09) on my guitar.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Get these and be happy. Lighter than that and you'll have to build your own sets of single strings. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-HiBeams-4String-Bass-Lite-Lite?sku=101120

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Possibly-useless crosspost from the trades thread:

quote:

Anyone wanna trade their Gallien-Krueger 700RBII or 800RB for my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro? It's American-made, and has the old funky lettering on the front, in perfect working order with brand new JJ's in the pre-amp section. I just want my GK sound back :ohdear:

I would also sell it for $350 shipped.
I'm selling the thing for $350 locally, and I'm sort of wondering if it's a decent price. I looked around on ebay and stuff, but they were all brand-new ones for like $600, so not a very good reference point. Scarf you should buy this from me; it would be so pretty with your other Ampeg stuff :3:

scuz fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 9, 2009

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Another string question.
I accidentally lopped off maybe a couple of milimeters more than I should have from the top of a string I was changing, and now it won't stay in the tuner. Is there a quick fix, or am I doomed to buying another string?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, when did Fender raise their prices on everything? I remember when the Geddy signature was like $750, and now it's over a grand. What happened?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Holy poo poo, when did Fender raise their prices on everything? I remember when the Geddy signature was like $750, and now it's over a grand. What happened?

Last year. Some have come back down a tad. Also, some previously MIJ/CIJ models like the Jaguar bass are now MIM.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Last year. Some have come back down a tad. Also, some previously MIJ/CIJ models like the Jaguar bass are now MIM.
:( That's a drag. I'll just have to find a used one somewhere, or figure out which pickups it uses and just buy those v:shobon:v

Also, ebay has my dream amp and I hope the dude plans on selling it to me :dance:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

scuz posted:

:( That's a drag. I'll just have to find a used one somewhere, or figure out which pickups it uses and just buy those v:shobon:v

Also, ebay has my dream amp and I hope the dude plans on selling it to me :dance:

I love those 800RBs! They rock! But I got into bass in the 80's so what do you expect? =D

Odd about the Geddy prices. I got an offer to trade my Jag for one, but it never clicked as 'awe' when playing one in GC. Great fast neck, and great sounds, but something just didn't feel "it" for me at least. If you are looking for one, I can get you in touch with the guy that was trying to trade me. It is a year old this Dec and I think he'll let it go for cheaper than a new one (old price new one).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

I love those 800RBs! They rock! But I got into bass in the 80's so what do you expect? =D

Odd about the Geddy prices. I got an offer to trade my Jag for one, but it never clicked as 'awe' when playing one in GC. Great fast neck, and great sounds, but something just didn't feel "it" for me at least. If you are looking for one, I can get you in touch with the guy that was trying to trade me. It is a year old this Dec and I think he'll let it go for cheaper than a new one (old price new one).
I am :f5:ing my ebay messages folder like crazy hoping s/he'll respond with "sure, I'll take your offer and even overnight it to you". Ugh, it's so gorgeous.

And as much as I want a Geddy, it's just daydream fuel at this point since I'm way poor. I'm happy with the jazz I have now (custom painted finish even!), with the exception of a few dead spots in the neck.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

If you weren't up for solely cash I was gonna offer my p-bass for the jag :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

If you weren't up for solely cash I was gonna offer my p-bass for the jag :kiddo:

I found a picture of your threesome with the Ibanez in it. A 72, very tempting, but then, what I've been looking for popped up and I'm working on unloading some gear to obtain it through my gear-only-funds.